The English Football League Lounge 2020/21

Comments

• BristolMDF
    1718 posts Play-Off Hero
    Think it's a shame he's not had a chance here especially after a really good loan spell. But think it's obvious that Holden is going to play a midfield 3 and two strikers, and can't see really where he or realistically Palmer will fit into that, so if he's nailing his colours to the 352 mast then it probably makes sense.

He's not going to be playing up top, so for a centre midfield place, he's behind Paterson, Williams, Massengo, Walsh, Brunt, Nagy, Palmer, and Weimann who has been playing in midfield since Holden took over.
  • Dizzy Bala
    3970 posts National Call-Up
    Burke going to Sheffield United, if any manager could get the best out of him it's probably Wilder
  • Hicksy2011
    18938 posts World Class
    So in a shocking development, clubs who voted for the salary cap ‘for sustainability’ are already looking at ways to get around it and it seems as though some of these teams have already cheated
    Brilliant imagine how surprised I am
  • BristolMDF
    1718 posts Play-Off Hero
    £28-35m for Watkins :flushed:
  • BrentfordFC
    13514 posts Has That Special Something
    BristolMDF wrote: »
    £28-35m for Watkins :flushed:

:joy:

Don’t ruin it ! Let them pay us first :joy:
  • GoodnightIrene
    4194 posts National Call-Up
    13M more than Rodriguez and 5M less than Van De Beek. Madness.
  • james2060
    3007 posts National Call-Up
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    So in a shocking development, clubs who voted for the salary cap ‘for sustainability’ are already looking at ways to get around it and it seems as though some of these teams have already cheated

Not surprising at all, who's been doing what tho I haven't seen anything
  • They Caged Non
    6504 posts Big Money Move
    This story of Wilson and Fraser to Newcastle is amusing me... firstly Fraser thought he was billy big time getting picked up by Liverpool etc then ends up there, can see that working well, cracking attitude the lad has.

Then Wilson has been labelled by the press as 'England Striker, Callum Wilson', i mean i dont even know where to start with that, is that like 'England striker, Michael Ricketts'

Finally the skunks are absolutely all over this one, buzzing about signing 2 players from a club who just got relegated after being woeful all season.
  • They Caged Non

Tell you what, that James signing for Everton is good but the Allan one is a right signing and nobody seems to be talking about it.
  • Hicksy2011
    18938 posts World Class
    james2060 wrote: »
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »

Not surprising at all, who's been doing what tho I haven't seen anything

Apparently this is from agents and players talking to our CEO
    I assume it’s stuff like hiring agents as consultants on player transfers and then they don’t have to pay agents fees for the cap
    Just get the agent to write half a page of A4 on what he understands the character of a player to be for like 20 of your targets and it’s very difficult to prove that it’s not legitimate employment
    Fleetwood signed Mark Duffy, Glen Whelan, Callum Camps, Jordan Rossiter and apparently Charlie Mulgrew is coming in now as well so that stinks of absolute bs
  • Farlz
    9628 posts League Winner
    Lots of money for Watkins but it needed to be done. We need a striker and he's been the clear #1 target for ages, we were going to sign him at some point this window so best to get it sorted (despite it already dragging on for god knows how long)

Score goals and its happy days
  • Dizzy Bala
    I don't particularly like Brentford's fans for the most part and their stadium looks like football hipster nonsense but god damn they're a well run club in terms of recruitment. One of the best in England i'd say.

Bought in Watkins and Maupay for like £2m each according to TM and they've sold them for £20m and £28m. Benrahma was about the same price too.
  • They Caged Non
    Dizzy Bala wrote: »
    I don't particularly like Brentford's fans for the most part and their stadium looks like football hipster nonsense but god damn they're a well run club in terms of recruitment. One of the best in England i'd say.

Bought in Watkins and Maupay for like £2m each according to TM and they've sold them for £20m and £28m. Benrahma was about the same price too.

FFP4dayyyyz
  • Lard_Lad
    12757 posts Has That Special Something
    28m for Watkins is too much, the guy is 25 and has never played in the top flight, usually takes a year or so to get adjusted at least. Also got bossed by Hector in the play off final. I would have took him for around 18m but 28m is ridiculous.
  • Dizzy Bala
    To be fair, yeah, they could probably go and spend pretty heavily if they wanted to, but it's not their model.

Forest's recruitment has ranged from awful to decent in the past few seasons. Lolley was like 500k but at certain periods might be worth 20 times that, yet we've spent £13m on Carvalho who has looked like he's a 500k player at times.

We're quite fortunate that our academy produces pretty good players that teams want to buy. We've received £28m for Oliver Burke, Ben Brereton and Arvin Appiah. None of whom have lit the world on fire.
  • Dizzy Bala
    Lard_Lad wrote: »
    28m for Watkins is too much, the guy is 25 and has never played in the top flight, usually takes a year or so to get adjusted at least. Also got bossed by Hector in the play off final. I would have took him for around 18m but 28m is ridiculous.

Eh I don't know, he started out as a winger and he's gotten better and better with each season. Factor in the Premierleague money and that fact he's English..
  • Lard_Lad
    12757 posts Has That Special Something

Eh I don't know, he started out as a winger and he's gotten better and better with each season. Factor in the Premierleague money and that fact he's English..

This is his first high goal scoring season at 25. I get he’s been a winger previous, for me Maupay was much better the season before than he is.

Also Watkins played in a team that created a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ load of chances and from what i saw a lot of his goals were in the box getting on the end of them (I could be wrong), will Villa create those chances for him? Probably not.
  • They Caged Non
    Thats where the Boro have fallen flat lately, our academy output is nothing like it was. Plus we absolutely refuse to produce a CAM or Striker.
  • They Caged Non

This is his first high goal scoring season at 25. I get he’s been a winger previous, for me Maupay was much better the season before than he is.

Also Watkins played in a team that created a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ load of chances and from what i saw a lot of his goals were in the box getting on the end of them (I could be wrong), will Villa create those chances for him? Probably not.

Im with you Lard, its a very dubious signing for that money, it might work out for Villa but its some way to blow half of your money by the time wages etc are factored in.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    WFCBagnall wrote: »

Great for FUT purposes

Not for me, I like making a Fulham team ASAP on the Web App and he'll probably be 5k+.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner

The thing with that is James is probably on at least double what Watkins will be on. Same reason Suarez is going to Juve "for free" because he's probably on at least 200k a week.

Plus Real want to sell James, Brentford don't.
  • GoodnightIrene
    4194 posts National Call-Up

The thing with that is James is probably on at least double what Watkins will be on. Same reason Suarez is going to Juve "for free" because he's probably on at least 200k a week.

Oh I can see why the prices are what they are for the reasons you stated, but it is still absolutely bonkers that a player who is world class on his day, and I don't say that lightly, costs 13M less than Ollie Watkins from Brentford. Suppose a player is worth what a team is willing to pay and all that!
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner

Oh I can see why the prices are what they are for the reasons you stated, but it is still absolutely bonkers that a player who is world class on his day, and I don't say that lightly, costs 13M less than Ollie Watkins from Brentford. Suppose a player is worth what a team is willing to pay and all that!

Yeah. I personally don't have a problem with it. If that's what they're willing to pay for him then fair play to Villa and Watkins who's probably about to get his first properly massive contract.

To be honest I'm just surprised we're 3 days away from the Championship season starting and as of now Sarr, Benrahma, Buendia, Aarons etc. are all Championship players.
  • BristolMDF
    1718 posts Play-Off Hero

To be fair by the time you’ve deducted the 50% Villa overpayment premium it’s about right.
  • Dizzy Bala
    To be honest I'm just surprised we're 3 days away from the Championship season starting and as of now Sarr, Benrahma, Buendia, Aarons etc. are all Championship players.
    There is still a month left of the window though but COVID has put a pin in a lot of spending for clubs.

• wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    There is still a month left of the window though but COVID has put a pin in a lot of spending for clubs.

True. But especially Benrahma I was expecting a proper auction for him, and Brentford probably were too.
  • Hicksy2011
    18938 posts World Class
    No Curtis in the league one TOTY is incredible
  • DelboyIRA
    416 posts Sunday League Hero
    Does anyone have this beauty?

01-front-cover.jpg
  • WFCBagnall
    92310 posts Moderator
    Speaking of FUT, who is looking forward to FUT 21?

Absolutely. Can't wait.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    edited September 2020
    Feel like my interest in FIFA 21/FUT 21 could die off very quickly this year if the content's dead.

We already know the gameplay's going to be dead. It might seem decent in Early Access, but as there's more stress put on the Servers and they patch the gameplay it'll be back to being dead.