Neville - Ferdinand - Terry - Cole

Gerrard - Vieira - Yaya

Ronaldo - Suarez - Henry
  • El_Nino wrote: »
    arsenalap wrote: »
    SDoofus wrote: »
    Lol @ Suarez/Torres above Henry that's just scandalous .

Well, if we are talking about all 3 of them at their peak, there's not a lot between them. And that's coming from someone who grew up through my school years believing that Thierry Henry was the best.

Henry and Torres were extremely similar players. Suarez completely different, but just as good, if not, better.

In what way were Henry and Torres similar?

What was Torres best season for assists?

Yep they have some similar traits but they were no way near extremely similar players.

Torres had better movement and finishing at his peak. Henry had everything else.

I dont see how anyone can put Torres in over Henry or Shearer tbh. Suarez at his peak was phenomenal, but longevity wise not there.

Lol, they were both tall, sleek, fast players who glided across the pitch and had a similar type of graceful finishing ability. Sorry if they weren't exactly the same, but they were very, very similar players.

They were nothing alike for me. Similarities stop with their pace and height.

Henry had much better all round game. Passing, dribbling, physicality, vision.

Torres was a better finisher and movement in his prime.

Henry absolutely did not have better Physicality.
    As a pure 9 Torres prime was the better goal scorer, Better finisher, better in the air, better physically, faster.

:D:D:D Torres scored more than 20 league goals once in his career, Henry did it in five consecutive seasons. Better goal scorer lmao, Jesus Christ.
  • El_Nino
    10633 posts Has That Special Something
    El_Nino wrote: »

Well, if we are talking about all 3 of them at their peak, there's not a lot between them. And that's coming from someone who grew up through my school years believing that Thierry Henry was the best.

Henry and Torres were extremely similar players. Suarez completely different, but just as good, if not, better.

Yep they have some similar traits but they were no way near extremely similar players.

Torres had better movement and finishing at his peak. Henry had everything else.

I dont see how anyone can put Torres in over Henry or Shearer tbh. Suarez at his peak was phenomenal, but longevity wise not there.

Lol, they were both tall, sleek, fast players who glided across the pitch and had a similar type of graceful finishing ability. Sorry if they weren't exactly the same, but they were very, very similar players.

As a pure 9 Torres prime was the better goal scorer, Better finisher, better in the air, better physically, faster.

:D:D:D Torres scored more than 20 league goals once in his career, Henry did it in five consecutive seasons. Better goal scorer lmao, Jesus Christ.

If you’d have actually read the quotes @Stannis Baratheon I said in his prime, that’s referring to his best season, the year he came 3rd in Ballon D’or only behind Messi/CR7.

Over the course of their careers there isn’t any point comparing Henry and Torres(obviously) if you look at them at their very best 1-2 seasons, I.e their prime then it’s a very close call as to who was better.
  • Gervonta
    4235 posts National Call-Up
    Lmao prime Henry is miles ahead of prime Torres
  • Pietu
    13092 posts Has That Special Something
    Prime Suarez
  • wth22
    11514 posts Has That Special Something
    edited October 2019
    Schmeichel
    Neville - Vidic - Ferdinand - Cole
    Keane - Scholes
    Ronaldo - Rooney - Henry
    Suarez
  • Alex_cr
    5936 posts Big Money Move

If you’d have actually read the quotes @Stannis Baratheon I said in his prime, that’s referring to his best season, the year he came 3rd in Ballon D’or only behind Messi/CR7.

Over the course of their careers there isn’t any point comparing Henry and Torres(obviously) if you look at them at their very best 1-2 seasons, I.e their prime then it’s a very close call as to who was better.

Firstly I think a peak Henry is way way better than a peak Torres. He just had so much more to his game.

Secondly if we were to do a top premier league 11 on a season or 2 then you’d get some funny old players in there.
  • El_Nino
    Alex_cr wrote: »

Firstly I think a peak Henry is way way better than a peak Torres. He just had so much more to his game.

Secondly if we were to do a top premier league 11 on a season or 2 then you’d get some funny old players in there.

The original thread is made regarding a proper XI prem, which I agree Torres is no where near, but I got into a different discussion with someone which is what’s been quoted.

I personally think people are too quick to forget just how good Torres was for his peak.
  • Alex_cr
    5936 posts Big Money Move
    Alex_cr wrote: »

The original thread is made regarding a proper XI prem, which I agree Torres is no where near, but I got into a different discussion with someone which is what’s been quoted.

I personally think people are too quick to forget just how good Torres was for his peak.

What he had was pace. When that was gone he was seriously exposed.
  • Nem
    9981 posts Has That Special Something
    Some interesting picks so far, I’d never have thought I’d seen Pires over Giggs, Bergkamp over many strikers, no Scholes in any team so far. And a partnership with neither Rio or Terry.

Only one of the leagues greatest ever imports 😯
  • Nem
    Cech

Neville - Ferdinand - Terry - Cole

Gerrard - Vieira - Yaya

Ronaldo - Suarez - Henry

Yaya seems to get overlooked a lot so bravo for picking him.

Imagine a midfield three of him, Keane and Vieira!
  • Nem
    Ronaldo Henry
    Gerrard
    Yaya Vieira
    Keane
    Cole Terry 🤮 Adams Irwin
    Schmeichel

Bit of a FIFA formation there but it's never actually gonna play so who cares

Something a bit different from the usual Neville at RB, so gone with Irwin
  • El_Nino
    edited August 2020
    13 teams posted so far, here are the results(not counting the full Liverpool/Dutch teams as I’m sure they weren’t serious)
    GK: Schmeichel(9 Votes)/Cech(4 votes)
    RB: Neville(12 votes)/Irwin(1 vote)
    CB: Terry(7 Votes)/Vidic(6 Votes)/Adams(2 Votes)
    CB: Ferdinand (8 Votes)/VVD(3 Votes)
    LB: Cole(11.5 Votes)/Irwin(1 Vote)/Riise(0.5 Votes)
    Midfield(hard to name positions as people have done different set ups, but here goes)
    Wide: Beckham(4)CR7(11)Giggs(4)Hazard(2)Pires
    Central: Scholes(5)Lampard(5)Keane(6)Viera(7) Gerrard(7) Yaya(2)
    Strikers: Henry(11)Rooney(2)Bergkamp(1) Shearer(5)Torres(1)Suarez(3)Cantona(1)

@Nem while I despise your Gerrard at CAM over Lampard(Wrong I say!) it does help make the voting clear 😂
  • El_Nino
    edited August 2020
    So according to the real football section the team lining up as 442 as most people used that, would be:

Schmeichel
    Neville—Rio—Terry—Cole
    CR7–Viera—Gerrard—Giggs
    Henry—Shearer

Bench:
    Cech/Vidic/Keane/Lampard/Scholes/Beckham/ Suarez
  • Bob_Dylan
    21308 posts Club Captain
    Van der Sar
    Neville - Van Dijk - Terry - Cole
    Gerrard - Scholes - De Bruyne
    Ronaldo - Suarez - Henry

Would be a fun team at least.
  • El_Nino
    If Suarez had stayed at Liverpool I imagine he would be in most teams, shame he left when he did, would have been a real icon for Liverpool. Especially seeing as he would have fit into the Firmino role perfectly.
  • Nem
    edited August 2020
    A lot like Stam at United. Wasn't here long enough.

Surprised Bale got no mention.
  • El_Nino
    edited August 2020
    Nem wrote: »
    A lot like Stam at United. Wasn't here long enough.

Surprised Bale got no mention.

That’s why Suarez missed out for me too.

Bale was great, but even his best years were no better than Hazard/Giggs/Beckham imo, all of whom did it for longer I believe, that’s why he wasn’t a consideration for me.

It hurts me that Drogba isn’t mentioned even once, definitely underrated by some as he wasn’t as consistent a scorer as others, offered so so much though.
  • Nem
    Bales best years were right up there with some of those getting mentions. He was simply unplayable at times in his last few years at spurs.
  • Gervonta
    edited August 2020
    Bales best years were right up there with some of those getting mentions. He was simply unplayable at times in his last few years at spurs.

Tbf if you’re doing an all time XI you’ve got to take into consideration the amount of time the player was performing at a high level for.

• Nem
    Gervonta wrote: »

Tbf if you’re doing an all time XI you’ve got to take into consideration the amount of time the player was performing at a high level for.

3-4 years at his best for Bale? What season was it when he ripped Maicon a new one that really made people sit up and take notice?
  • Gervonta
    Bob_Dylan wrote: »
    schmeichel
    Neville - Vidic - Terry - Cole
    Gerrard - Scholes - De Bruyne
    Ronaldo - Shearer - Henry

Would be a fun team at least.

+1

• Gervonta

3-4 years at his best for Bale? What season was it when he ripped Maicon a new one that really made people sit up and take notice?

2010 wasn’t it ?
  • Nem

2010 wasn’t it ?

Could've been. The level he played at from then on was as good, if not better, than many getting mentioned.
  • El_Nino

2010 wasn’t it ?

Could've been. The level he played at from then on was as good, if not better, than many getting mentioned.

Agree to disagree personally, Bales best isn’t better than Hazard/Giggs/Beckham, not for me anyway.
  • Bob_Dylan
    21308 posts Club Captain
    Perhaps controversial but Hazard shouldn’t be anywhere near a best ever XI.
  • Nem
    Bale at his very best surpassed all three.
  • El_Nino
    Bale at his very best surpassed all three.

Your completely entitled to your opinion; but it clearly isn’t shared by many, or maybe it is and people just think he didn’t do it for long enough.

Personally don’t think his best was as good as your making out though, world class player at his best; but no better than the three I mentioned, not for me anyway.
  • Nem
    Explosive and a match winner on his own for spurs on many occasions. There's a reason Madrid paid a then world record fee for him.
  • El_Nino
    edited August 2020
    Explosive and a match winner on his own for spurs on many occasions. There's a reason Madrid paid a then world record fee for him.

No debate there whatsoever; but Madrid paid over 100 million for Hazard, before significant bonuses, and Hazard was 4 years older with less time left on his contract(I believe).

We could argue this all day I think, both world class players, though I would say similar at there best, Hazard just had more longevity and more success in the prem.