Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Bob_Dylan
    21308 posts Club Captain
    Wyojasond wrote: »
    Interesting to see if this starts a domino effect..... Wijnaldum to Barca, Thiago to Liverpool, sounds like Tonali to Inter (edit- meant AC Milan) is done now. Could be a big week for midfielders moving.

Hardly a domino effect when only two of those transfers could potentially effect each other.
  • Gervonta
    4235 posts National Call-Up
    Bob_Dylan wrote: »
    Wyojasond wrote: »
    Interesting to see if this starts a domino effect..... Wijnaldum to Barca, Thiago to Liverpool, sounds like Tonali to Inter (edit- meant AC Milan) is done now. Could be a big week for midfielders moving.

Hardly a domino effect when only two of those transfers could potentially effect each other.

VDB goes to United , Barcelona turn to gini, in turn Liverpool use the money to replace gini with Thiago.

Think that’s what he’s trying to put across. Tonali has no effect on any of these though.
  • Tornado31619
    34955 posts World Cup Winner
    Barça have much bigger concerns than incomings at the moment. I imagine that they’d rather keep Messi than lose and replace him.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    36144 posts World Cup Winner
    Barça have much bigger concerns than incomings at the moment. I imagine that they’d rather keep Messi than lose and replace him.

debatable... the smarter move would be trying to get incoming transfers and prepare for the worst being that Messi could sit the season out if he doesn't get a move. It's not as if he needs the money. They'd be worse off if they spent the remainder of the window trying to convince Messi to stay and didn't bring anyone else in because that's where their focus was... especially if he doesn't show.
  • Tornado31619
    34955 posts World Cup Winner
    Honestly, with the stops that they’ve been pulling to keep him, I’m not sure if that board is truly thinking rationally at the moment. It genuinely wouldn’t surprise me if they brought everything else to a halt this summer.
  • Gervonta
    Honestly, with the stops that they’ve been pulling to keep him, I’m not sure if that board is truly thinking rationally at the moment. It genuinely wouldn’t surprise me if they brought everything else to a halt this summer.

Don’t think they can afford to. Most of their squad are over 30 they need to try and get Atleast a few young players in this summer they can’t afford to try and chop and change them all in one go next summer.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    edited August 2020
  • ConGard
    1436 posts Professional
    Van de Beek is a fantastic signing. Solves a massive issue in the squad in the lack of quality depth for Bruno and Pogba. Glad we’ve finally got our window underway now hopefully a couple more ins and outs before the end of the window
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited August 2020
    Absolute shame he can't be our DoF thanks to Ed.

• Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    love dutch players, hope he is another fan favourite

Not only Dutch, but he's another Van :sunglasses:
  • Ahmer50x
    31657 posts National Team Captain

Get excited :sunglasses:
  • Kman
    4423 posts National Call-Up
    So good to have the option to start him against the lower teams and try put the game to bed quicker or have a quality option off the bench in bigger games..still need a RW though desperately but this is a good buy
  • El_Nino
    10636 posts Has That Special Something
    Can’t see him making much difference this year if I’m honest, definitely surprised to see he’s the first one done.

Regardless though at this stage I’m sure your happy to get anything done 😂 plus it is a good signing regardless, honestly if he settles in well; I’d try and sell Pogba if I were you next year, yes he’s booked his attitude up now, but for how long? If you can get 80+ for Pogba I’d let him go and invest the money elsewhere.

I wonder why Arsenal haven’t made any noise with VDB, for around 40 he’d be a much better buy then Auoar if he goes anywhere near his asking price.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Can’t see him making much difference this year if I’m honest, definitely surprised to see he’s the first one done.

Regardless though at this stage I’m sure your happy to get anything done 😂 plus it is a good signing regardless, honestly if he settles in well; I’d try and sell Pogba if I were you next year, yes he’s booked his attitude up now, but for how long? If you can get 80+ for Pogba I’d let him go and invest the money elsewhere.

I wonder why Arsenal haven’t made any noise with VDB, for around 40 he’d be a much better buy then Auoar if he goes anywhere near his asking price.

Have you seen the schedule? Without him Bruno and Pogba would be half dead by the end of it! We desperately needed some quality on the bench so they can be rotated and given rests when needed.
  • Kman

Disagree completely, we now have tactical options/ depth and quality off the bench now, with one signing..
  • El_Nino
    Apollo wrote: »

Have you seen the schedule? Without him Bruno and Pogba would be half dead by the end of it! We desperately needed some quality on the bench so they can be rotated and given rests when needed.

While I think rotation will help like you say with the schedule, there’s still a good 4 positions in your starting XI that could have been addressed instead.

Don’t get me wrong VDB is a good player, and it’s a good price, I’d have happily had him at Chelsea for that, he’s just not a game changer, good depth though as you say, and certainly a hell of a lot better than the nothing you’ve got so far haha
  • Ahmer50x

Yeah, I'm shocked Arsenal didn't go for him too. They could offer him starts and he's exactly what they need at a fair price. Plus, they've got an inside track in that he's dating Bergkamp's daughter.

Given the ridiculous fixtures this season, I think he'll make a big difference just by ensuring Pogba and Bruno don't have to play 60 games each this season. They can play more like 45 each and VDB can take the other 30ish matches. Ole can just play 2 of the 3 in any given match.
  • Kman
    With VDB we can put out a more respectable side in cups etc while giving Pogba/Bruno a rest.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    edited August 2020
    Apollo wrote: »

While I think rotation will help like you say with the schedule, there’s still a good 4 positions in your starting XI that could have been addressed instead.

Don’t get me wrong VDB is a good player, and it’s a good price, I’d have happily had him at Chelsea for that, he’s just not a game changer, good depth though as you say, and certainly a hell of a lot better than the nothing you’ve got so far haha

There's still time left in the window to address at least 1 starting issue (potentially 2 depending on who the CB target is) and we know the plan is to do exactly that. This transfer was very much needed though, the fact he's not a consistent starter doesn't change that.
  • El_Nino
    edited August 2020
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

Yeah, I'm shocked Arsenal didn't go for him too. They could offer him starts and he's exactly what they need at a fair price. Plus, they've got an inside track in that he's dating Bergkamp's daughter.

Given the ridiculous fixtures this season, I think he'll make a big difference just by ensuring Pogba and Bruno don't have to play 60 games each this season. They can play more like 45 each and VDB can take the other 30ish matches. Ole can just play 2 of the 3 in any given match.

Didn’t know that haha, yeah pretty baffling that Arsenal never made any contact/bid, none that got reported anyway.

Yeah like I say I appreciate depth is important, and I like the signing a lot, I’m just surprised you didn’t target one of the starting XI replacements first, beggars can’t be choosers with Ed and Judge though I guess 😂

@Apollo i’d always sooner target starters first, especially given how slow your transfers go, but tbf this one seems faster, and like I say it’s a good signing regardless, just not the one I would have prioritised.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    Kman wrote: »
    With VDB we can put out a more respectable side in cups etc while giving Pogba/Bruno a rest.

Hopefully if Sancho gets done, the cup side will get even stronger where we could start Greenwood as well as VdB!
  • Ashy
    24359 posts Club Captain
    edited August 2020
    It might just be a case of Arteta not liking his style, I do rate Aouar better but he will cost €20m more it looks like, if we don't get Aouar then the options are probably worse than de Beek
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Ahmer50x

Can't see us going for a striker unless it's someone like Josh King. I'd take King as the third striker in the squad for depth at the right price though.
  • Ashy
    24359 posts Club Captain
    edited August 2020
    Surely not a striker, maybe a winger, weakness for depth is winger and full back imo the central area is fine, weakness for starting 11 is probably LB and CDM but that is for next summer I'd imagine

Henderson
    AWB - Maguire - CB - Shaw
    Matic - Pogba
    RW - Bruno - Rashford
    Martial

De Gea
    Dalot? - Lindelof - Bailly - Williams
    McTom - Fred
    James - VDB - ?
    Greenwood

Got to get rid of

Romero
    Rojo, Smalling, Jones
    Lingard, Pereira
  • HysxteriA
    4293 posts National Call-Up
    If we don't sign Sancho do you think Ole might try a diamond now and again?

Would be interesting to see

Martial Rashford
    Bruno
    Pogba - VDB
    Matic
    Shaw - Maguire - Lindleof - AWB
    Hendo / DDG

Think it could work well would give greenwood a break as well considering his age for some games, but gives VDB some first 11 roles as well.

I know we prominently play 4231 though but just a thought.

Ideal world though we just get Sancho in.

100% need a new CB though, absolutely 100%.
  • Ahmer50x
    The problem with the diamond is AWB and Shaw don't offer enough in possession to be our only wide players.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    yeah i'd say little to no chance that we commit to a diamond as a regular formation.
  • Gervonta
    Absolute shame he can't be our DoF thanks to Ed.

Glad we have a strong relationship with Ajax. Ajax are one of the best teams to buy from so having a strong relationship makes it that much easier.