Fifa and heart conditions

BadSeedsFC
3100 posts National Call-Up
edited August 2020
I've got an aortic valve replacement nine days ago. I've been recovering back at home since last Tuesday. Yesterday I decided to play some videogames, and everything was going smooth until I played some Fifa. Spent about an hour playing Link's Awakening on the Switch and zero problems with that. Then I turned on the Xbox and smashed a couple of levels of Perfect Dark Remastered. Zero problems with that too.

But then I decided to give Fifa a go with a Rivals match, and I couldn't even finished the game. My heart rate started going up, got some cold sweat down my back and my mood was f**** up. I got out of the game at 70th (it was 2-2 by that moment). Then I played some Read Dead Redemption 2 and everything was smooth in my system again.

WTF is this, man? And I even consider myself a casual... They somehow created a game that mess up your cardiac rate? Anyone has experienced something similar?

Comments

• fifanew
    172 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    it's called anxiety. it gets better over time. but not sure if your heart can take it.

go see a doctor. no it's not the game, just the brain.
  • madlion
    2949 posts National Call-Up
    FIFA is a job/competition nowadays

it will raise your cortisol and stress levels

funny though is that I would get stressed even from squad battles, I think EA tamed me like a pavlov dog so I get anxiety response and PTSD from fut champs/rivals
  • BadSeedsFC
    fifanew wrote: »
    it's called anxiety. it gets better over time. but not sure if your heart can take it.

go see a doctor. no it's not the game, just the brain.

Don't want to see a doctor now. I was hospitalized for a week recovering. I was just amazed about this phenomenon. And with the cut scenes of the heart in the trailer of the new game, I don't see this improving in the future 🤣

By the way, I'm taking some strong medication for the chest pain during these days, including some morphine derivatives. If the game can get to my heart rate, even with those conditions, I prefer to think that it's not my (highly) dope brain. It's the freaking game 😁
  • Mogga
    3277 posts National Call-Up
    Usually playing FIFA I'm slouched back on the settee. However the closer and more nonsensensical the game gets, I notice I end up perched right on the edge of the settee and my heart rate def does increase. In day to day life I'm about as chilled as you get. Crazy when you think about it
  • Chavez76
    9804 posts League Winner
    and you think this is the game because ?
    It's you who is reacting to it mate.. And really, if it bothers you this much, I would not play it, especially with your heat condition.
  • MazerM
    296 posts Sunday League Hero
    OP, in your situation I'd probably avoid competitive online play - rivals definitely gets my HR up.

If you need a footy fix, play offline on an easier difficulty than you would normally, otherwise play something else that's fun rather than stressful!

All the best with your recovery, stay chilled 😀
  • DaMMian
    2318 posts Fans' Favourite
    I am not a doctor, but any stress in your case is not recommended and as you know FIFA20 is a very frustrating game where sometimes we have no influence on the game.
  • mindm4ster
    5250 posts Big Money Move
    mind if I ask why did you need aortic valve replacement?
  • Sean2890
    210 posts Sunday League Hero
    mindm4ster wrote: »

Kept seeing the RW, Argentina flag, .... Di Maria TOTSSF card
  • SignpostSounder
    4213 posts National Call-Up

I'd imagine his original aortic valve wasn't working properly.
  • BadSeedsFC
    edited August 2020

I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve. It should be tricuspid. It lasted 33 years. I really cannot complain 😊

Thanks a lot for the replys mates. I will probably have to shorten down the online matches for 21. But I like the game anyways. It's difficult to get rid of that monkey on my back 🐒

Let's see if things gets better when I'm fully recovered. I will jump on a break and get back on 21 to check things up.

Keep it restaurant around here! 👍

• Amdp9
    6855 posts Big Money Move
    Take care of yourself buddy and prayers for your speedy recovery, forget about this game spend your precious time with family! Play FIFA everyone then for fun don’t take serious!
  • MUFC_420
    2924 posts Fans' Favourite
    I suffer from extreme anxiety and panic disorder amongst a couple of other mental health issues and until I read this I never realised fifa was having an impact on my mental health. There's been times where I have been playing this game and felt my heart rate starting to go really fast and have had panic attacks in the middle of a match. I never really put it down to this game as I can randomly have panic attacks with no real trigger. I never thought it was anything to do with the game but now you mention this I'm starting to have serious doubts.

Has never happened during any other game which is quite strange. I only started having these panic attacks within the last year where I feel my heart going crazy and feel like I'm having a heart attack and it's a very scary experience. There's been times I've been having 3-5 of these panic attacks per day and it's been completely taking over my life and been a living hell.

Now only a very small percentage of them has happened while playing Fifa so I'm really not sure what to make of this as it could just be coincidence as I say they come on randomly.

I'm on a new medication now that has seemed to control my anxiety and panic attacks which has been a god send as I've had one of the worst years of my life. Will be keeping a close eye on this as if I feel fifa is having any negative impact on my mental health then I will simply walk away from the game. Health is more important than a broken video game.

Thanks for the info on this mate.
  • BadSeedsFC
    MUFC_420 wrote: »
    I suffer from extreme anxiety and panic disorder amongst a couple of other mental health issues and until I read this I never realised fifa was having an impact on my mental health. There's been times where I have been playing this game and felt my heart rate starting to go really fast and have had panic attacks in the middle of a match. I never really put it down to this game as I can randomly have panic attacks with no real trigger. I never thought it was anything to do with the game but now you mention this I'm starting to have serious doubts.

Has never happened during any other game which is quite strange. I only started having these panic attacks within the last year where I feel my heart going crazy and feel like I'm having a heart attack and it's a very scary experience. There's been times I've been having 3-5 of these panic attacks per day and it's been completely taking over my life and been a living hell.

Now only a very small percentage of them has happened while playing Fifa so I'm really not sure what to make of this as it could just be coincidence as I say they come on randomly.

I'm on a new medication now that has seemed to control my anxiety and panic attacks which has been a god send as I've had one of the worst years of my life. Will be keeping a close eye on this as if I feel fifa is having any negative impact on my mental health then I will simply walk away from the game. Health is more important than a broken video game.

Thank you for sharing your history with us man! I just wanted to share my experience and find out if anyone else had experienced something similar. I'm sure that there are a lot of factors involved. I'm definitely going to shorten down my Fifa time during 21 cicle.

It's understandable that if your playing, let's say, an horror game, then your heart could be in for a roller-coaster ride. But it seems strange to me that this happens with a sports game.

My guess is that, if the game is affecting my health, it's understandable that I try to find a solution for it. They created a really addictive environment with FUT, and us as a community should look for solutions that suits different kind of personalities and behaviors.

Hope your doing great, man. And don't let the game affects your anxiety levels. It has been a tremendous stressful year. It's not healthy to add extra stress for caused by digital cards and surprise mechanics shenanigans.
  • fifanew
    i'm speaking from experience because i'm normally a very calm person. too calm that i've nearly missed my flight a few times, got on in the nick of time and never break a sweat.

but when i played my first 100 online chess games my heart would feel like a big bird is trying to fly out of my chest. but once i got used to losing my heart became calm.

first 50 rivals Fifa matches (fifa 20 is my first FUT) - same thing. now i have a god squad and don't mind losing. problem fixed.

answer - love losing.
  • MUFC_420
    BadSeedsFC wrote: »

Thank you for sharing your history with us man! I just wanted to share my experience and find out if anyone else had experienced something similar. I'm sure that there are a lot of factors involved. I'm definitely going to shorten down my Fifa time during 21 cicle.

It's understandable that if your playing, let's say, an horror game, then your heart could be in for a roller-coaster ride. But it seems strange to me that this happens with a sports game.

My guess is that, if the game is affecting my health, it's understandable that I try to find a solution for it. They created a really addictive environment with FUT, and us as a community should look for solutions that suits different kind of personalities and behaviors.

Hope your doing great, man. And don't let the game affects your anxiety levels. It has been a tremendous stressful year. It's not healthy to add extra stress for caused by digital cards and surprise mechanics shenanigans.

Thanks mate, I'm not sure the game is affecting my anxiety but the first sign I see of that being the case I will quit the game instantly. Will definitely keep an eye on this now though for certain patterns thanks to this post. Take it easy mate hope you have a speedy recovery 👍
  • Staxdoobie
    2426 posts Fans' Favourite
    fifanew wrote: »
    i'm speaking from experience because i'm normally a very calm person. too calm that i've nearly missed my flight a few times, got on in the nick of time and never break a sweat.

but when i played my first 100 online chess games my heart would feel like a big bird is trying to fly out of my chest. but once i got used to losing my heart became calm.

first 50 rivals Fifa matches (fifa 20 is my first FUT) - same thing. now i have a god squad and don't mind losing. problem fixed.

answer - love losing.

There’s something in this. As with so many things in life, fear of failure is a major cause of stress. It took me many, many months of playing Rivals to cope with the emotions of losing. I used to get ridiculously angry (once threw a ready-meal I was about to cook and it exploded all over the kitchen walls). For a silly video game, it really does put you through the mill - especially when you hit a long losing streak.

Learning to accept losses was the single greatest step forward I made in Rivals, and I’ve improved considerably at the game since I made that psychological leap. I always message a ‘GG’ to the winner of a good close FAIR game, which also somehow makes losing more bearable.

Losing with grace feels better than wiping tuna pasta bake off the walls.
  • NornIron
    15505 posts World Class
    Probably too soon to be playing fifa. :)
    A replacement should have you feeling alot better than before, I take it the replacement was needed as the aorta was narrowing.
  • AngryFUTplayer
    1175 posts Professional
    edited August 2020
    I haven't played FIFA in over a month and I couldn't be happier. I also gave up myteam on 2k and things haven't been better. I honestly think it's these ultimate team, super sweaty keeping up with the Joneses type modes. Never pressed when playing mycareer on 2k or pro clubs for some reason the way I am when playing myteam or ultimate team. I have diagnosed anxiety issues and these competitive modes just ramp it up even worse.
  • Stone_cold_tea93
    3647 posts National Call-Up
    My heart races if I'm defending a lead or pushing for a goal. Fifa definitely raises the blood pressure. I can say the same about Warzone though. If I get to the end zone or in a intense gun fight or do something crazy I get pumped.
  • PaulDr
    3399 posts National Call-Up
    Depends what is causing the reaction, it isnt always due to competitiveness, could be posture unique to playing fifa, could be the actions of opponents (in which case find strategies to stay calm, like looking away when they do the celebrations etc and blocking messages), or the speed/intensity of the game (in which case you might have to consider other game modes). It is early days, so hopefully your mind and body will adjust so you can still enjoy the game. Good luck.
  • iamnotamaniamcantona
    1648 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited August 2020
    Y'all realise this is why all football managers are nervous wrecks right....

You start a game (same as a real manager)....

5 mins passes ....and suddenly you instinctively know whether you're better or worse than your opponent..

If you're worse .....your brain starts telling you its only a matter of time before you're going to concede....

and If you're better it's actually more stressful because the longer that goes by without scoring, the more anxious you become....

Real managers have all manner of "human" and other interfering factors messing with their results but we have delay, glitches, and DDA to deal with....

When asked how he felt after winning the Champions League... SAF's response was ...."relief"

Just how I feel everytime I win a WL or Rivals match (and realise I can finally go to bed or do something worthwhile rather hitting up a squad fitness and starting again)...

Hardly what you'd call fun ....but then again who ever said it was supposed to be...

• MUFC_420

5 mins passes ....and suddenly you instinctively know whether you're better or worse than your opponent..

If you're worse .....your brain starts telling you its only a matter of time before you're going to concede....

and If you're better it's actually more stressful because the longer that goes by without scoring, the more anxious you become....

Real managers have all manner of "human" and other interfering factors messing with their results but we have delay, glitches, and DDA to deal with....

When asked how he felt after winning the Champions League... SAF's response was ...."relief"

Just how I feel everytime I win a WL or Rivals match (and realise I can finally go to bed or do something worthwhile rather hitting up a squad fitness and starting again)...

Hardly what you'd call fun ....but then again who ever said it was supposed to be...

Wonder if it's fifa making me go grey then. Seen a few managers go grey after a stressful season 🤣
  • MUFC_420 wrote: »

Wonder if it's fifa making me go grey then. Seen a few managers go grey after a stressful season 🤣

...it's when you look in the mirror and see Steve Bruce starring back .......(rocking backwards and forwards...looking like a cardiac arrest on waterbed.....)

That's maybe when you should try another game.... ;)
  • Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class
    BadSeedsFC wrote: »
    I've got an aortic valve replacement nine days ago. I've been recovering back at home since last Tuesday. Yesterday I decided to play some videogames, and everything was going smooth until I played some Fifa. Spent about an hour playing Link's Awakening on the Switch and zero problems with that. Then I turned on the Xbox and smashed a couple of levels of Perfect Dark Remastered. Zero problems with that too.

But then I decided to give Fifa a go with a Rivals match, and I couldn't even finished the game. My heart rate started going up, got some cold sweat down my back and my mood was f**** up. I got out of the game at 70th (it was 2-2 by that moment). Then I played some Read Dead Redemption 2 and everything was smooth in my system again.

WTF is this, man? And I even consider myself a casual... They somehow created a game that mess up your cardiac rate? Anyone has experienced something similar?

I wouldn't go near this with any kind of heart condition. I picked up one of those heart rate monitor thingies last year and compared my stress levels between playing weekend league, working and playing weekend league, working and not playing, and not working or playing. Basically the data showed that playing weekend league was just as stressful as work (and both combined was really not a cool idea). From there, I basically sacked taking it serious until tots (when the 'good' rewards dropped). Now I haven't played for a month and it's so much better from a relaxation/mental health standpoint.
  • Professor
    4110 posts National Call-Up
    This is the only game that used to cause me to get very upset. If you're decent at a game you would be rewarded with a win but thats not always the case in Fifa with all the BS.

I've learned to ignore it over time and just laugh now when opponents score ridiculous goals shush ect. It's in the game and its best to learn to deal with it or avoid playing if it is affecting your health.

Wish you all the best 👍
  • Mmandras
    6269 posts Big Money Move
    Sorry to hear about your condition. I'm not exactly in great shape eather.

Unless you can train yourself to be absolutely zen about it, I'd advise against playing Fifa for the time being. The game is "dead" anyway, and it woud be really unwise to compromise your post operative rest.

Alternative is to try some other non competitive modes, if you insist on playing Fifa. But AI could also be very frustrating.

I wish you all the best and it would be better anyway, with or without heart condition, to get easy with competative games.
  • BFC CLARETTRICK
    1283 posts Professional

I know the feeling I've been speaking to some experts lately as I've been struggling alot but it's not because of fifa i haven't played fifa in almost a year but this whole lockdown stuff is messing with everyone's head.

According to the doctors I've been struggling with anxiety and possibly panic aswell and to be honest it's been around 3 months now and I'm slowly but surely getting better.

I've had so many different symptoms of things its been hard to count honestly but i have found within the last week or so I've been doing alot better and i think the main things that have helped me speaking to people, going for at least half an hour walks every day and changing lifestyle up although it is very hard.

Good luck and hope everyone keeps their chin up and gets through these difficult times.
  • fifanew
    edited August 2020
    when i said "anxiety" in my first post i don't mean anxiety in daily general life and panic attacks.

I mean when the screen loads and you see the opposition team and suddenly your heart starts to pound. a bit like suddenly noticing your crush is in the same room as you. or standing up in front of 1,000 people to deliver a speech or sing a song. it does not mean you have anxiety issues. it's normal. brain just getting a bit excited.
  • HyperOCD
    1917 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited August 2020
    I'm playing ghost of tsushima, every thing is fine
    Playing fifa getting freaking mad like a little kid

Was shocked at myself