is standard of player higher this year?

madlion
3206 posts National Call-Up
I was Elite 2 on FIFA 19 and 2400+ skill rating, this year I finished a few weeks on Gold 1 before getting to Elite 2 and 2000 skill rating in rivals

but it feels so much harder, I feel like everyone is hardcore nowadays

Comments

• mypetfrog
    3087 posts National Call-Up
    No, just the support for lower skill players is stronger than ever this year.
  • madlion
    mypetfrog wrote: »

what do you mean by that?
  • cheesyzoot
    189 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Nah, the game is worse. Skill gap is way narrower.

Real skill gap that didn't involve just abusing mechanics probably ended back in Fifa 16.
  • Orison
    74580 posts Icon
    2000 skillrating now is somewhat similar to 2500 skillrating last year before they changed rivals

Ofc not exactly the same, but not far off either
  • futaddikt
    620 posts An Exciting Prospect
    madlion wrote: »

what do you mean by that?

He or she cant elaborate on this topic further.... it's against ea forum rules..... HL players missing upgrades as well... should be against ea rules as well but oh well.
  • Fifapayne
    6585 posts Big Money Move
    I was Elite 2 on FIFA 19 and 2400+ skill rating, this year I finished a few weeks on Gold 1 before getting to Elite 2 and 2000 skill rating in rivals

cheesyzoot wrote: »

Real skill gap that didn't involve just abusing mechanics probably ended back in Fifa 16.

This fifa has a higher skill gap than fifa 19

Fifa 19
    Random crosses for goals
    Tornados
    Random one time shots
    Etc

Far lower skill gap in 19
  • Rossco160715
    2645 posts Fans' Favourite
    Absolutely not. You literally need zero football knowledge to be good at this game.
  • what3v3r
    1157 posts Professional
    Skill gap argument aside, I feel people in general play better this year. People are much less one dimensional, as there is not a very obvious way to score. The noob way to score this year is through ball down the line run and cut back, but is not so efficient and kind of easy to defend. On fifa 19 there was timed finesse shots in certain angles , el tornado crosses and la croquetas and to a certain extent, ping pong passing. These were very noob friendly ways of playing and hard to defend.

But this year the meta is the dance among your attacking players and the defensive midfielder the opposition controls, and it requires a little bit more of patience and skill to pass the ball around until you bore your opponent to death and score.
  • TDOF
    9002 posts League Winner
    edited August 2020
    Fifapayne wrote: »

Fifa 19
    Random crosses for goals
    Tornados
    Random one time shots
    Etc

You're wrong.

Fifa 19 skill gap was much higher.... was it in the right area? No...... but you still had to time your shots, move your GK, open up gaps outside of the box to line up first time finesse shots, the heading... yeah it was random....

Again... the skill gap wasn't in the right area of where it should be, but it did have a skill gap.... abusing mechanics or not is still a games skill gap.

if your better at doing something that works (even though its not considered real life) but it is in the game, its a skill....

The skill gap in fifa 20 is literally not there, there is no skill in fifa 20 at all.... drag backs are only good against people that dont know how to defend them, in 2200+ everyone knows how to defend drag backs.....

you literally just pass around the box till there's a mistake or your opponent loses focus and you score... thats it

Post edited by TDOF on
  • Prettyfly
    877 posts Professional
    Fifa 19 was a far better game than the 💩 show we’ve been served this year and that’s saying something.
  • NinthFall
    2699 posts National Call-Up
    I've played mostly squad battles and career mode, some rivals and maybe 1 wl before fifa 20. So this is my first fifa focusing more on online gaming, but what I've noticed is that the average skill level went significantly up towards the end of the game.
  • TDOF
    9002 posts League Winner
    NinthFall wrote: »
    I've played mostly squad battles and career mode, some rivals and maybe 1 wl before fifa 20. So this is my first fifa focusing more on online gaming, but what I've noticed is that the average skill level went significantly up towards the end of the game.

that's always the case.... hardcore players keep playing, casuals leave
  • Fifapayne
    6585 posts Big Money Move
    edited August 2020
    TDOF wrote: »

Fifa 19
    Random crosses for goals
    Tornados
    Random one time shots
    Etc

You're wrong.

Fifa 19 skill gap was much higher.... was it in the right area? No...... but you still had to time your shots, move your GK, open up gaps outside of the box to line up first time finesse shots, the heading... yeah it was random....

Again... the skill gap wasn't in the right area of where it should be, but it did have a skill gap.... abusing mechanics or not is still a games skill gap.

if your better at doing something that works (even though its not considered real life) but it is in the game, its a skill....

The skill gap in fifa 20 is literally not there, there is no skill in fifa 20 at all.... drag backs are only good against people that dont know how to defend them, in 2200+ everyone knows how to defend drag backs.....

you literally just pass around the box till there's a mistake or your opponent loses focus and you score... thats it

Not sure any of those qualify as skills.
    You could play absolute ❤️❤️❤️❤️ who could move the keeper and green shots.
    It wasn’t that difficult to master.
    Those random first time green shots from absurd angles were not skills

Now this fifa is more boring to play
  • Saiyajin
    1143 posts Professional
    Skill gap in this game is huge. I will always win against a gold 1-2 player. Even when "Gameplay is against me", I have 12 ingame minutes to change that. There are so many bad excuses in this thread but every top 100 is with the same names. Every friend is getting their same rank like always. If there is "big random" things in this game why they are managing every week getting elite1-2? The fifa community is the most crying community but in fact this game requires skill

• Jpo41
    1825 posts Play-Off Hero
    TDOF wrote: »

Fifa 19
    Random crosses for goals
    Tornados
    Random one time shots
    Etc

You're wrong.

Or you wait until your opponent gets a spike from the servers and their team becomes stuck in mud
  • madlion
    Saiyajin wrote: »
    Skill gap in this game is huge. I will always win against a gold 1-2 player. Even when "Gameplay is against me", I have 12 ingame minutes to change that. There are so many bad excuses in this thread but every top 100 is with the same names. Every friend is getting their same rank like always. If there is "big random" things in this game why they are managing every week getting elite1-2? The fifa community is the most crying community but in fact this game requires skill

im not saying that, i know this game requires skill not necessarily football iq

if game didnt require skill people would finish different ranks yet everyone i know finishes same rank give or take few wins throughout all year despite improving teams countless times
  • GariverSt
    189 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    On my own reflections, in previous editions, I was generally a division 5 player. This year I joined in March and have found that I'm a division 8 or 9 player.

Rivals particularly feels more like a sweat fest. Everyone's playing like their life depends on each match which means you need to too!

• ContraCode64
    4463 posts National Call-Up
    Saiyajin wrote: »

Just no. The high ELO games are more often than not shockingly dull. There's a level of skill required to remain consistent, but the quality of many "elite" players this year is tragic. Cheese a goal (often from kick off) and then hold possession for as long as possible without doing anything that remotely resembles attacking, which has never been easier to do thanks to how bad manual pressing is high up the pitch. Worse still, a good portion of these players are clueless when losing, just sitting in 4231 and hoping you'll cough up the ball whilst running around with their cdms as the rest of their players auto press. These games are draining and can require a lot concentration for all the wrong reasons.

There's a skill gap, of course there is, but across the board it's never been smaller and the extent EA have gone to blur the lines and artificially narrow it have never been greater (and arguably more blatant) than this year's game.