The reality is FIFA won't be good for another 10-20+ years

Comments

• RadioShaq
    16215 posts Moderator
    One of the better things they have done is slowed the game down and made it more realistic. Although it’s probably still to arcade but you have to appeal to both sides. Would be nice to use slower defenders though.
  • tommyboyo
    1822 posts Play-Off Hero
    TDOF wrote: »
    That's the honest reality.... i've been telling myself the next year will be better since fifa 11...

a lot of people always look back at the old games (fifa 11,12,13) and say "Those games were good"

They weren't good.... they always had problems. Were they more fun than the current games? Yes, no doubt....

But each one had a problem, a perfect fifa never existed.

before you disagree, look at the way EA makes fifa games, every year its just a patch in a way....

every year it's just 3-5 "new features" and 90% of the game is copy and pasted

so let's do some calculations here

Lets say for example fifa 20 has "x" amount of features, lets make x = 100 (for this example) and every year we add the 3/5 "new features" that EA add every year

FIFA 20 = 100
    FIFA 21 = 103/5
    FIFA 22 = 106/10
    FIFA 23 = 109/15
    FIFA 24 = 112/20
    FIFA 25 = 115/25
    FIFA 26 = 118/30
    FIFA 27 = 121/35 (We're 7 years deep and the game has 21 - 35 new features that don't exist right now)
    FIFA 28 = 124/40
    FIFA 29 = 127/45
    FIFA 30 = 130/50 (We're 10 years ahead and fifa has 30 - 50 new features that don't exist right now)

im going to stop there.... but you see what i mean?

The game progress' slowly, what i haven't taken into account here is that features also get removed.

Also with the power of next gen it might boost performence but we're yet to see.
    The basic principles of kicking a ball into an onion bag haven't really changed much in the last 30 years so it really shouldn't take them 10-20 years to improve the game. Considering that 30 years ago we were playing games like Kick Off on the Amiga, I would say that football games have evolved a lot as technology has become better.

With that bombshell I dub this whole thread...

giphy.gif

has the game changed that much in the last 10 years?

im talking about pure gameplay stand point, has it really changed? We went from Ignite to Frostbite, which has improved graphically, but apart from that, things have either stayed the same or gotten worse.

Has football changed much in the last 10 years? I mean the basic principles of football are pass, cross, shoot. If anything FIFA has changed so much over the years that it barely even represents real football. Dragbacks, croquetas, El Tornadoes...they are just a few examples of things added to the game over the years that make it completely unrealistic in relation to actual football.

What exactly is it that you want from the game? If they strip it back completely so that it's a more realistic representation of football, you'll be the first to spit your dummy out.

This is one of the main issues.

A pure football sim would actually be quite boring, so they have to jazz it up a bit with some 'arcadey' features to engage with the masses.
  • TDOF
    3184 posts National Call-Up
    tommyboyo wrote: »
    That's the honest reality.... i've been telling myself the next year will be better since fifa 11...

a lot of people always look back at the old games (fifa 11,12,13) and say "Those games were good"

They weren't good.... they always had problems. Were they more fun than the current games? Yes, no doubt....

before you disagree, look at the way EA makes fifa games, every year its just a patch in a way....

Lets say for example fifa 20 has "x" amount of features, lets make x = 100 (for this example) and every year we add the 3/5 "new features" that EA add every year

FIFA 20 = 100
    FIFA 21 = 103/5
    FIFA 22 = 106/10
    FIFA 23 = 109/15
    FIFA 24 = 112/20
    FIFA 25 = 115/25
    FIFA 26 = 118/30
    FIFA 27 = 121/35 (We're 7 years deep and the game has 21 - 35 new features that don't exist right now)
    FIFA 28 = 124/40
    FIFA 29 = 127/45
    FIFA 30 = 130/50 (We're 10 years ahead and fifa has 30 - 50 new features that don't exist right now)

The game progress' slowly, what i haven't taken into account here is that features also get removed.

Also with the power of next gen it might boost performence but we're yet to see.
    The basic principles of kicking a ball into an onion bag haven't really changed much in the last 30 years so it really shouldn't take them 10-20 years to improve the game. Considering that 30 years ago we were playing games like Kick Off on the Amiga, I would say that football games have evolved a lot as technology has become better.

giphy.gif

im talking about pure gameplay stand point, has it really changed? We went from Ignite to Frostbite, which has improved graphically, but apart from that, things have either stayed the same or gotten worse.

Has football changed much in the last 10 years? I mean the basic principles of football are pass, cross, shoot. If anything FIFA has changed so much over the years that it barely even represents real football. Dragbacks, croquetas, El Tornadoes...they are just a few examples of things added to the game over the years that make it completely unrealistic in relation to actual football.

What exactly is it that you want from the game? If they strip it back completely so that it's a more realistic representation of football, you'll be the first to spit your dummy out.

A pure football sim would actually be quite boring, so they have to jazz it up a bit with some 'arcadey' features to engage with the masses.

I've said this thousands of times on this forum

A game can have every gameplay for every person playing the game, how? Madden already does it

3 gameplays

Arcade
    Sim
    Competitive

You pick the one you want to play.... problem solved, the community isn't split because they can play whatever they want to play....

they want to score from 40 yards out? do overhead kicks all game? Play arcade....

want to play real life football? Sim mode

want to play competitively without help from the AI or assistance from the game? Competitive mode......

it's so easy to fix it.....
  • tommyboyo
    1822 posts Play-Off Hero

FIFA 20 = 100
    FIFA 21 = 103/5
    FIFA 22 = 106/10
    FIFA 23 = 109/15
    FIFA 24 = 112/20
    FIFA 25 = 115/25
    FIFA 26 = 118/30
    FIFA 28 = 124/40
    FIFA 29 = 127/45

giphy.gif

I've said this thousands of times on this forum

A game can have every gameplay for every person playing the game, how? Madden already does it

3 gameplays

Arcade
    Sim
    Competitive

You pick the one you want to play.... problem solved, the community isn't split because they can play whatever they want to play....

they want to score from 40 yards out? do overhead kicks all game? Play arcade....

want to play real life football? Sim mode

want to play competitively without help from the AI or assistance from the game? Competitive mode......

it's so easy to fix it.....

They can't even get the coding right for one mode at the moment and you want them to try three!!
  • Knowlesdinho
    13441 posts Has That Special Something
    edited August 1

giphy.gif

in the last 10 years;

Defending - went from the old legacy (which was just pressing x/a to press or tackle) to what we got now "tactical"
    improvement? Sure....

What else has changed in defending? Nothing drastic or worth mentioning.....

Gameplay - We got a full 360 turn radius..... "precise dribbling"
    we got first touches.....
    we got new free kicks (which is an old feature)
    we got new corners
    we got a new goalkick camera
    we got protect the ball
    we got frostbite
    we got real player motion
    we got early crossing
    we got timed finishing
    we got goalkeeper movement

Here's a list of all the features in the past 10 years

https://www.fifplay.com/fifa-11_features/
    https://www.fifplay.com/fifa-12/
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1304933-fifa-13-latest-updates-on-features-rosters-gameplay-videos-and-more
    https://www.fifplay.com/fifa-14-features/
    https://www.fifplay.com/fifa-15-features/
    https://www.easports.com/fifa/features/xbox360-ps3 (fifa 16)
    https://www.fifplay.com/fifa-17-features/
    https://www.ea.com/games/fifa/news/fifa-18-real-player-motion-technology
    https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/fifa-19-features

does this look like 10 years of work to you? @Knowlesdinho

You didn't answer my question...what exactly is it that YOU want? You make this fake algorithm that it will take 10-20 years for FIFA to improve, but don't list the improvements that you want to see.

Do you want a FIFA style peloton machine where you VR up with a football at your feet and you are a virtual player in a competitive pro scene? I mean this is literally the only thing that can evolve with football games in my opinion. [EDIT] Copyright @Knowlesdinho 01/08/20 registered trademark Knowlesdinho productions.

I'm not saying that FIFA doesn't need to improve, but new features are not what it needs...it needs to actually get football right. That means that a variety of tactics should be effective...not one or two meta styles that everyone uses. It means that if someone wants to pump crosses into the box to Chris Wood, then that is a viable tactic, but also there is an effective counter to it. As a person that spends time playing RTS games, balance is important. One unit will be effective against another, but will be countered by another...so it always comes down to actual player skill.

There should be balance between tactics so that you can't just park the bus and play a through ball to a pacey striker every game. If you use high pressure, then your stamina should drain accordingly. Say you use high pressure from kick off and gain an early advantage, then you pay for that later because of the stamina drain and perhaps it then comes down to your ability to defend the onslaught later in the game from a less tired team. No one tactic should be ultimately effective.

These are the things that we need to make a more realistic experience...not dragback 40 times until your opponent loses concentration and you get a goal.
  • TDOF

giphy.gif

in the last 10 years;

Defending - went from the old legacy (which was just pressing x/a to press or tackle) to what we got now "tactical"
    improvement? Sure....

we got new corners
    we got protect the ball
    we got frostbite
    we got early crossing
    we got timed finishing

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1304933-fifa-13-latest-updates-on-features-rosters-gameplay-videos-and-more

You didn't answer my question...what exactly is it that YOU want? You make this fake algorithm that it will take 10-20 years for FIFA to improve, but don't list the improvements that you want to see.

Do you want a FIFA style peloton machine where you VR up with a football at your feet and you are a virtual player in a competitive pro scene? I mean this is literally the only thing that can evolve with football games in my opinion. [EDIT] Copyright @Knowlesdinho 01/08/20 registered trademark Knowlesdinho productions.

I'm not saying that FIFA doesn't need to improve, but new features are not what it needs...it needs to actually get football right. That means that a variety of tactics should be effective...not one or two meta styles that everyone uses. It means that if someone wants to pump crosses into the box to Chris Wood, then that is a viable tactic, but also there is an effective counter to it. As a person that spends time playing RTS games, balance is important. One unit will be effective against another, but will be countered by another...so it always comes down to actual player skill.

There should be balance between tactics so that you can't just park the bus and play a through ball to a pacey striker every game. If you use high pressure, then your stamina should drain accordingly. Say you use high pressure from kick off and gain an early advantage, then you pay for that later because of the stamina drain and perhaps it then comes down to your ability to defend the onslaught later in the game from a less tired team. No one tactic should be ultimately effective.

These are the things that we need to make a more realistic experience...not dragback 40 times until your opponent loses concentration and you get a goal.

"features" is just the word i used since its the word they use for literally everything they do, just like "composed finishing"

you said a lot of things yourself, fifa shouldn't have a "meta" every tactic should work and every tactic should have a way to be stopped. Just like IRL.....

what im trying to say is it'll take 15+ years for EA to actually come up with the "features" for this to finally be a reality...

they implement like 3 changes every year, and spend a lot of the other time trying to fix the previous years "meta"

fifa 18- low drivens, one of the best ways to finish in real life and it was effective in the game, so look what they did to them, even with 99 finishing you can't score most of the low drivens

fifa 19- headers, don't have to say much here, did they need tuning? of course..... but they burried heading 6 feet deep.
  • Flamstead
    3409 posts National Call-Up
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    The game has improved every year. The latest pitch notes also explain how much work ea is doing all year even after releasing the game. What really needs to improve is peoples isp and the infrastructure. Which really isn’t something that has to do with ea.

Eh? I'm pretty sure FIFA is the only game people really struggle connection wise with. That's something to do with EAs FIFA servers not individual ISPs.

• Knowlesdinho

giphy.gif

in the last 10 years;

improvement? Sure....

we got new corners
    we got protect the ball
    we got frostbite
    we got early crossing
    we got timed finishing

"features" is just the word i used since its the word they use for literally everything they do, just like "composed finishing"

you said a lot of things yourself, fifa shouldn't have a "meta" every tactic should work and every tactic should have a way to be stopped. Just like IRL.....

what im trying to say is it'll take 15+ years for EA to actually come up with the "features" for this to finally be a reality...

they implement like 3 changes every year, and spend a lot of the other time trying to fix the previous years "meta"

fifa 18- low drivens, one of the best ways to finish in real life and it was effective in the game, so look what they did to them, even with 99 finishing you can't score most of the low drivens

fifa 19- headers, don't have to say much here, did they need tuning? of course..... but they burried heading 6 feet deep.

The issue isn't features, it's balance. Most competive games will have patches to refine the game monthly, sometimes even weekly.

Starcraft 2 is now free to download on Blizzard with all expansions and that is still getting balance tweaks. It's exactly 10 years last month since the first part was released and it has had several expansions in that time. All spaced out, all with new features, some that took the game out of balance, but then were rebalanced. It's a competitive game where people work out new metas all the time... and they get rebalanced.

FIFA would massively benefit from a biennial release schedule with a season/roster refresh in the interim year. They won't do this though because people will buy the game, and then pump more money into it. This gives them no reason to change what they do.

Even that @tzinc fella is a self confessed addict that spends all his forum life moaning about the game and lootboxes, but we all know he'll buy the next edition and blow loads of money on packs. If I was the CEO of EA, I wouldn't change a damn thing... and I want change.
  • TDOF

giphy.gif

in the last 10 years;

improvement? Sure....

we got new corners
    we got protect the ball
    we got frostbite
    we got early crossing
    we got timed finishing

The issue isn't features, it's balance. Most competive games will have patches to refine the game monthly, sometimes even weekly.

Starcraft 2 is now free to download on Blizzard with all expansions and that is still getting balance tweaks. It's exactly 10 years last month since the first part was released and it has had several expansions in that time. All spaced out, all with new features, some that took the game out of balance, but then were rebalanced. It's a competitive game where people work out new metas all the time... and they get rebalanced.

FIFA would massively benefit from a biennial release schedule with a season/roster refresh in the interim year. They won't do this though because people will buy the game, and then pump more money into it. This gives them no reason to change what they do.

Even that @tzinc fella is a self confessed addict that spends all his forum life moaning about the game and lootboxes, but we all know he'll buy the next edition and blow loads of money on packs. If I was the CEO of EA, I wouldn't change a damn thing... and I want change.

Yeah....and i said they try to bring balance through features.....

and of course the CEO doesn't want to make any changes lol its a business, the scheme works they have a working formula....

thats why again im saying the game won't see any drastic change till 15 years.....
  • rezyy
    452 posts Sunday League Hero
    The thread is a pile of 💩
  • tzinc
    2270 posts Fans' Favourite
    all they care about is money
    they have lied at government meetings
    they are no different than crack dealers except crack dealers have more conscience they don't hook kids like ea does
    of course they won't change anything UNLESS forced to by public opinion (like they were with SW Battlefront) or by the government like in Belgium Netherlands
  • jbblkk
    1 posts Ball Boy
    edited August 2
    The only way im buying FIFA 21 is if they implement some sort of skill move meter. Elasticos e.t.c exist in real life but you dont see Neymar perform about 50 elaticos in one match.The skill move meter should be such that you can only do I every 5 in game minutes...anything short of that i continue with NBA 2K,COD,GTA....and fix headers too ...
  • Ishibum
    14665 posts World Class
    Gromit wrote: »
    The earlier FUTs had flaws I agree, they were decent games for their time and they were fun, something the latter games have sorely lacked. And I genuinely believe EA had a lot more focus on making a good game.

The current gen has really suffered from the need to sell sell sell all year around. When selling DLC takes over as the main priority its never going to end with a great game. The game really has suffered for it.

Players with 99 stats everywhere don't make a great game either, its basically ended up like playing Fifa with a Game Genie plugged in.

Its just a disposable mess, everyone gets excited about a new juiced player, a week later they're putting him in an SBC and getting ready for the next one.

This should get printed out and posted on every wall in EA's offices.
  • Mmandras
    3515 posts National Call-Up
    20 years is a cycle in which the whole civilization as we know it might change (even fall apart if I'm being pesymistic), let alone one football simulation. Although I'd have to agree it has shown remarkable resiliance to change.

From the technical standpoint, kind of excited for the next gen. Also, sometimes in the future we might see full blown VR version. EA is going to be conservative as it wants to reach widest possible audience.

Gambling regulations might disrupt the whole concept so we might get something else entirely, perhaps monthly subscription and additional push toward a service.

Overall, the concept seems really future proof. But AI stuff that's messing with the game has to go away. All we want is a game and not a simulation of a game. No rubber banding of any kind.
  • Kobayashi
    453 posts Sunday League Hero
    The game has improved every year. The latest pitch notes also explain how much work ea is doing all year even after releasing the game. What really needs to improve is peoples isp and the infrastructure. Which really isn’t something that has to do with ea.

People's ISP is Not the true issue, I have proof of 20ms gameplay on COD and the supposed 20ms Ping on Fifa, the reactions and reactivity of both games is miles apart. Are you admitting then that due to poor programming EA cannot matchmake by local regions so blame it on all the hops required if you get matched thousands of miles apar? We all know 4G abusers with very low speed internet can 'break the gameplay further' so why allow it. It will never be fixed until a minimum connection speed is put in place.
  • Mogga
    1834 posts Play-Off Hero
    This could of been summarised with "because it's made by EA"
  • Knowlesdinho
    tzinc wrote: »
    they are no different than crack dealers except crack dealers have more conscience they don't hook kids like ea does
    of course they won't change anything UNLESS forced to by public opinion (like they were with SW Battlefront) or by the government like in Belgium Netherlands

That's exactly what a crack dealer does... Hooks vulnerable people including kids.

Name me a business that is all about philanthropy please? And I'm not talking about charitable donations because EA will do those...I'm talking about a company that isn't in it to just make money.
  • Davola77
    456 posts Sunday League Hero
    Seanregal wrote: »
    I'm going to sound old on this but the current gen has been spoiled. When you grew up with waiting a half hour to load up emlyn hughes soccer or kick off. Todays football titles are a marvel, yes they have flaws but if i want a quick football fix the difference is night and day.

Emlyn Hughes soccer. Now we’re talking!! Often had to try loading my copy about 10 times as it would keep crashing.
  • Ballerson
    586 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Where’s the eradicate headers and how that’s semblance of the real game? 🤪

Too long to quote but I agree with what Knowles posted about the need to get football right....but getting football right is not EAS priority, $$& is.

Q1 was EAS most profitable on record. Fifa leads the way in profitability for EA. How do you increase profits? Get more people to purchase the game, spend money, don’t increase budgets for servers or newer features Or more staff, don’t reinvent something that’s generating mega bucks even if that product is crapola.

Here’s EAS company profile & stock status & below is a quote from EAS ceo to large investment bankers in a presentation to them re Q1.

https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/?symbol=EA

“The world has an insatiable appetite for sports, and for the experiences that EA SPORTS delivers in our games. With real world sports disrupted, EA SPORTS has become the center of the emotional connection to sports, and we’ve brought millions of new, returning and existing players into their own personal sports stories through our games. Player acquisition of new and returning players in FIFA grew more than 100% year-over-year in Q1, with more than 7 million joining during the quarter. These are now among our most engaged groups of players, demonstrating commitment and longevity in our FIFA live service. FIFA in Asia grew significantly year-over-year in Q1 as well, with FIFA Online 4 now engaging nearly 30 million players to date. “
  • tommyboyo
    1822 posts Play-Off Hero
    tzinc wrote: »

Comparing to drug dealers is ban worthy really.

Sort yourself out son and get a bit of perspective.
  • ItsWideRight
    993 posts Professional
    One of the better things they have done is slowed the game down and made it more realistic. Although it’s probably still to arcade but you have to appeal to both sides. Would be nice to use slower defenders though.

It's slow in attack but fast in defense which makes the game completely unbalanced and creates the defensive meta that has been for the last two years. Slowing the game down has made the game worse.

Trying to make a "realistic" game has been the downfall of this game you cannot recreate 45 minute half's in 6 minutes. The game needs to be arcade based but in the right areas. Currently all the arcade mechanics are in the wrong places which is why the game sucks.
  • tommyboyo
    1822 posts Play-Off Hero
    The earlier FUTs had flaws I agree, they were decent games for their time and they were fun, something the latter games have sorely lacked. And I genuinely believe EA had a lot more focus on making a good game.

The current gen has really suffered from the need to sell sell sell all year around. When selling DLC takes over as the main priority its never going to end with a great game. The game really has suffered for it.

Players with 99 stats everywhere don't make a great game either, its basically ended up like playing Fifa with a Game Genie plugged in.

Its just a disposable mess, everyone gets excited about a new juiced player, a week later they're putting him in an SBC and getting ready for the next one.

Some really great points here.

So true about the 99 stats players.

I found it more noticeable that they really went to town on the promos this year, barely a week passed without some new flashy loading screen. All about selling as you say.
  • Headshrinker363
    5870 posts Big Money Move
    Davola77 wrote: »
    Seanregal wrote: »
    I'm going to sound old on this but the current gen has been spoiled. When you grew up with waiting a half hour to load up emlyn hughes soccer or kick off. Todays football titles are a marvel, yes they have flaws but if i want a quick football fix the difference is night and day.

Emlyn Hughes soccer. Now we’re talking!! Often had to try loading my copy about 10 times as it would keep crashing.

All to do with the volume on your tape player😂
  • Gromit
    4841 posts National Call-Up
    edited August 2

Some really great points here.

So true about the 99 stats players.

I found it more noticeable that they really went to town on the promos this year, barely a week passed without some new flashy loading screen. All about selling as you say.

Unfortunately though mate, it appears , on this forum at least that THIS is the FUT everyone wants.

One day without a promo and all you read is "The game is dead" "EA are ❤️❤️❤️❤️" etc. There's people on here who've tried to tell me this game is one of the best
    Yet it seems nobody wants to play it unless it results in them getting red picks, reward packs or objective players.

There was a time you logged on JUST to play a game, no reward, no gain (just 600 coins).

Unfortunately for people like myself who's love of FUT came from the idea that you had a huge database of players to explore, and you could build hundreds of teams all year around and in the most cases get a fun game, I have to accept that those days are gone for good.

The game has gone too far down this elitist road, where the only aim now is to live up to its name and build an Ultimate Team each player progressively more juiced than the last. Its not that crazy of an idea, its just that as we have seen, it alienates 95% of the rest of the game and ultimately it does lead to an end point where you can proceed no further and you're left with a "what next?" ...which is buy 21 and start again....sigh.
  • RadioShaq
    16215 posts Moderator

It's slow in attack but fast in defense which makes the game completely unbalanced and creates the defensive meta that has been for the last two years. Slowing the game down has made the game worse.

Trying to make a "realistic" game has been the downfall of this game you cannot recreate 45 minute half's in 6 minutes. The game needs to be arcade based but in the right areas. Currently all the arcade mechanics are in the wrong places which is why the game sucks.

You still don’t see slow defenders and everyone uses fast attackers. It would probably help if they went back to the older markets without all the juiced up players and sbcs like someone pointed out. The one thing about the older fifas was the simpler times in the market and cards just the gameplay was bad.

I dunno why you would want the game to be more arcade though. Going more sim and forcing manual offense would probably go a long way in creating a bigger skill gap.