What formation do you use?

Onedoesntsimply
2301 posts Fans' Favourite
And what instructions do you use?

I'm trying to think up my end-game team and have been wondering about how many attacking players I can put in while still making the team fairly balanced. I've tried 41212(2) with more attacking players in the CM spots but the team just feels poorly balanced - they're not useful for defending and similarly they just don't get upfield enough to attack either. Am I better off switching to 4231 with 2 CDMs, or is anyone having any luck with just 1 CDM, maybe in a 433(2) or similar?

Comments

• Clemster
    859 posts Semi-Pro
    I am in div 4 G2 mainly WL. I use 4222. Cdms and fbs on stay back, balancesld and balanced. If things go pear-ahaped I will go constant pressure fast build up but try not to before 60th for the sake of stamina.
  • Riotiga
    846 posts Semi-Pro
    I use 4132. I could swear I didnt see anyone using the formation last WL lol. Quite effective for me as I finished elite 3 just for the 4th time this year with this formation.
  • RedRogue
    257 posts Sunday League Hero
    Riotiga wrote: »
    I use 4132. I could swear I didnt see anyone using the formation last WL lol. Quite effective for me as I finished elite 3 just for the 4th time this year with this formation.
    I use the same, I just don’t like one up top so it’s good for me.
  • EisenErmin
    9397 posts League Winner
  • Finesse_4days
    10659 posts Has That Special Something
    442 or 4411. 442 with default tactics and balanced instructions on your CMs apart from cover centre works well for me. Have fullbacks on stay back as if they aren't on stay back they defend like bronze cards and you end up conceding cheap and nasty cutbacks. Players in the box for set pieces I always reduce as it helps reduce the chances of conceding counters from set pieces.
  • Onedoesntsimply
    RedRogue wrote: »

@RedRogue @Riotiga How does this work going forward? Do all 3 midfielders join in when attacking?
  • Mogga
    1815 posts Play-Off Hero
    Normal 442
    Chasing the game 4222
    Hanging on for dear life 4231
  • Riotiga
    846 posts Semi-Pro

@RedRogue @Riotiga How does this work going forward? Do all 3 midfielders join in when attacking?

It's similar to 41212 wide but instead of CAM, you have a CM. I have pogba and sissoko as my midfielders. Since Sissoko is H/H I need to make sure he stays on the back by playing him CDM. And since Pogba is H/M I need to make sure he contributes to defence which I wouldnt be able to achieve if he is played as a CAM. The wide midfielders essentially play like wingers. I have 1 width in attack to ensure that they dont run/stand too far from the center.
  • Europa3114
    197 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I like to be original and use the 4231 narrow 😉

In fairness it's the first time I've used it since the inception of UT and I'm a Fifa veteran
  • d-Leon307-b
    973 posts Professional
    433 4
  • MrMTFC
    843 posts Semi-Pro
    I start 5221 with de jong on stay back and pogba balanced/get forward. Swap in game between 433 v2 for the holding mid, balanced cm and a get forward cm. Other formation is 4312, great centrally with my rcm being my starting rw on be wide instructions and Ls being my lw on drift wide so helps make space for my cam/rs
  • SuperKMx
    2511 posts Fans' Favourite
    4-2-4 - balanced, 5 width, 3 depth on defence. Balanced, 5 width, 4 players in box, 3 for corners and free kicks.

LST as a false 9/drift wide/stay forward.
    RST as get in behind/stay forward.
    LW/RW coming back on defense, cut inside, get in behind.
    LCM stay back while attacking, cover center.
    RCM balanced attacking, cover center.
    LB/RB stay back.

Team of TOTSSF Alisson - Moments Alex Sandro, SH Luiz, FB Militao, SH Danilo - SH Fabinho, TOTSSF Renato Augusto - SH Vinicius Jr, SH Firmino, Moments Lucas, TOTSSF Otavio.

Tons that could be improved and I don't like having to go three depth as I usually go five, but it's kind of needed with four up front. All works really nicely for me!
  • RedRogue
    257 posts Sunday League Hero

It's similar to 41212 wide but instead of CAM, you have a CM. I have pogba and sissoko as my midfielders. Since Sissoko is H/H I need to make sure he stays on the back by playing him CDM. And since Pogba is H/M I need to make sure he contributes to defence which I wouldnt be able to achieve if he is played as a CAM. The wide midfielders essentially play like wingers. I have 1 width in attack to ensure that they dont run/stand too far from the center.
    Yeah pretty much this, my CM and CDM tend to cover each other’s positions also.
  • A5B
    3222 posts National Call-Up
    41212 (2)
  • tzinc
    2219 posts Fans' Favourite
    had to go to 5 atb 5 4 1 unable to stop ANYONE with 3 or 4 atb
  • Clancy
    8484 posts League Winner
    442, at this stage in the game I can't use any other effectively because im expecting players to be in certain spots

Not the best on defense tbh, good players can pick me apart. Lots of fun on offense though, especially on the 4231 stay back narrow crowd. Sometimes to advance down the pitch against 4231 I do 5 or 6 massive crosses in a row starting deep in my own half, one touchline to the other. People using 4231 just leave the wings wide open and pack the box
  • Dochter
    266 posts Sunday League Hero
    3142 has been so good for me lately.

I mix up instructions a lot depending on players I am using but generally along the lines of the following:

ST stay forward
    LM/RM comeback on defence
    CDM stay back
    1 CM balanced
    1 CM Get forward
  • fussydutchman
    1296 posts Professional
    4222 for normal play. 41212 if I need to go attacking. 4231(2) when I need to go defensive.
  • JoCo1214
    176 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    4222 main and 433 flat occasionally
  • Retro1989
    5279 posts Big Money Move
    Depends on the team i'm using

Ligue 1 - 352
    La Liga - 4321
    Serie A - 4312
    Prem - 4411
    Bund - 4312
  • Onedoesntsimply
    For people playing 2/3 CM/CDMs, how would you split those players? 1 out-and-out CDM, 1 box-to-box, 1 attacking mid, or some different variation? My personal preference would be to play a 41212 wide formation, with the LM/RM getting forward down the wings while the CDM sits back. Is this feasible, or will they just not get forward, or perhaps I just get destroyed on the counter?
  • Finesse_4days
    10659 posts Has That Special Something
    For people playing 2/3 CM/CDMs, how would you split those players? 1 out-and-out CDM, 1 box-to-box, 1 attacking mid, or some different variation? My personal preference would be to play a 41212 wide formation, with the LM/RM getting forward down the wings while the CDM sits back. Is this feasible, or will they just not get forward, or perhaps I just get destroyed on the counter?

With 41212 wide it is hard to win the ball back because you only have the CDM in good defensive positions in the middle. I have a 442 with both CMs being box to box players and both on balanced instructions.
  • Swanz05
    2460 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited July 28
    4321 so 3 strikers more or less. Ccm on stay back positions almost like cdm & striker on false 9 like cam. Concede a lot, score a lot. Decent full backs are crucial.