Premier League Lounge 2021-22

Comments

• TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    You have to say they will get some sort of ban. Still think due to everything going on the CL ban won't happen or it'll be delayed until next year.
  • Pughy30
    29802 posts Player of the Year
    These numbers for Sterling are crazy, If his finishing was even a little bit better he'd be on 100+ goals by now considering throughout his career he's been pretty inconsistent in front of goal
  • Snugglebites
    2873 posts Fans' Favourite
    I remember a lot of Liverpool fans convincing themselves that Ibe was better after Sterling went to City.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    Whats the deal with Europa league spots? Is it just 5th and 6th who get them? 5th, 6th and 7th if City get banned of course.

Cannot believe we are likely to be pipped by Sheff utd.
  • Ahmer50x
    31657 posts National Team Captain
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Whats the deal with Europa league spots? Is it just 5th and 6th who get them? 5th, 6th and 7th if City get banned of course.

Typically, one EL spot goes to the team finishing 5th, one to the EFL Cup winners, one to the FA Cup winners.

As City won the EFL Cup and have finished in a CL spot, that spot is reassigned to the team finishing 6th.

Given the current teams in the FA Cup and where they'll finish in the league, assuming someone other than Arsenal wins it, the last spot will be reassigned to the team finishing 7th.

If City are banned from European competition, each spot slides down one. In essence, you pretend City don't exist and then look at the league table to see who qualifies for what.

My guess atm is City do get banned for one year only and that results in 1 and 3-5 getting CL while 6-8 qualify for EL.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    TakeItSlow wrote: »

Typically, one EL spot goes to the team finishing 5th, one to the EFL Cup winners, one to the FA Cup winners.

As City won the EFL Cup and have finished in a CL spot, that spot is reassigned to the team finishing 6th.

Given the current teams in the FA Cup and where they'll finish in the league, assuming someone other than Arsenal wins it, the last spot will be reassigned to the team finishing 7th.

If City are banned from European competition, each spot slides down one. In essence, you pretend City don't exist and then look at the league table to see who qualifies for what.

My guess atm is City do get banned for one year only and that results in 1 and 3-5 getting CL while 6-8 qualify for EL.

Okay sweet. Its so important we get European football in some way.
  • Ashy
    19629 posts World Class
    The more I think about it the more I think the ban will happen and it won't be delayed, because why? It will be awkward having Man City in UCL next season knowing they'll be banned the year or two after. I think the 2 year ban happens and the scenario above happens

Which means most likely top 5 is done, Liverpool, United, Leicester and Chelsea get UCL

And I believe one of Arsenal and Spurs will still miss out on Europa with one finishing 9th or below, can see Wolves, Sheffield and probably the winner of the NLD in the top 8. I tell you what Burnley have a shout though both North London teams could miss out
  • Ahmer50x
    Ashy wrote: »
    The more I think about it the more I think the ban will happen and it won't be delayed, because why? It will be awkward having Man City in UCL next season knowing they'll be banned the year or two after. I think the 2 year ban happens and the scenario above happens

Which means most likely top 5 is done, Liverpool, United, Leicester and Chelsea get UCL

And I believe one of Arsenal and Spurs will still miss out on Europa with one finishing 9th or below, can see Wolves, Sheffield and probably the winner of the NLD in the top 8. I tell you what Burnley have a shout though both North London teams could miss out

Fixtures wise, I like you and Burnley a lot more than I like Spurs for 8th.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    If we cant get 8th or 7th I'd be horrified.

Its so important for us to make that next step, specifically financially. I think Partey will sign regardless but players like Aouar and Upamecano will only come with some sort of european football.
  • Lard_Lad
    12757 posts Has That Special Something
    Where are this Chelsea fans then? Absolutely outclassed.
  • Ashy
    19629 posts World Class
    Wouldn't rule out Burnley getting 6-7 points, last two games being Norwich and Brighton and Wolves obviously the big game next for the Europa race. Could end on 56-57 points

Wolves have a few tricky fixtures, Everton at noon tomorrow is their first big hurdle, then Burnley which I think will be a draw, Palace they should beat and Chelsea last game another tough one especially with Chelsea fighting for UCL. City being banned will lift the weight off though. Could see 7 points from 12 there which is 59.

Sheffield have a few tricky fixtures but their last 4 were Spurs, Burnley, Wolves and Chelsea they took 10 points from 12 from that! Expect them to beat Everton and have trouble away from home against Leicester and Southampton, can see them ending on 58-59 points.

Arsenal going to need to win their last 2 and get a result against Spurs tomorrow, might need a win considering City may not get banned to finish on 59 points because I see a loss to Liverpool.

Pressure is on, a loss and IMO no Europa league, a draw and we may be relying on City getting banned to finish 8th and a win and we should end as high as 6th due to goal difference.
  • Kellnerr
    4984 posts Big Money Move
    I remember a lot of Liverpool fans convincing themselves that Ibe was better after Sterling went to City.

Tbf, Ibe was considered as a bigger talent when he initially moved to us :lol:
  • El_Nino
    9378 posts League Winner
    Lard_Lad wrote: »

Don’t act like I didn’t respond to you earlier, only for you to ignore it? 😂

Congrats, you deserved the win; you outclassed us in the way a fighter would probably beat there opponent if they’re opponent had a gun and constantly kept quite literally shooting themselves in the foot.

So yeah, well done. Your still not getting CL....
  • Pietu
    11493 posts Has That Special Something
    El_Nino wrote: »

Congrats, you deserved the win; you outclassed us in the way a fighter would probably beat there opponent if they’re opponent had a gun and constantly kept quite literally shooting themselves in the foot.

Not that big of a deal, nobody expected them to get CL before the season. They have been one of the best teams this season and are higher than anyone would have predicted.
  • Pietu
    wnz2oaw2t8a51.jpg

Did not know Ronaldo has over 1K games, that's crazy! Hopefully Suarez overtakes Ibra and stays ahead.
  • El_Nino
    9378 posts League Winner
    Pietu wrote: »

Not that big of a deal, nobody expected them to get CL before the season. They have been one of the best teams this season and are higher than anyone would have predicted.

Oh to be clear I’m not arguing that in the slightest, Sheffield have been immense this year, and full credit to them. The only reason I said this is because LardLad implying that they would, so I was just replying to that
  • Ahmer50x
    For me, Chris Wilder should get manager of the year.
  • El_Nino
    9378 posts League Winner

Nah has to be Klopp for me, I know technically it’s been a work in progress and Klopps success is more over a few years, but to walk the league how they have, and the culmination of the team he’s created, making the league this easy, has to be him.
  • Pietu

Nah has to be Klopp for me, I know technically it’s been a work in progress and Klopps success is more over a few years, but to walk the league how they have, and the culmination of the team he’s created, making the league this easy, has to be him.

Agreed. Klopp should get it, he deserves it. Nobody else is in a realistic shout over him.
  • El_Nino
    9378 posts League Winner

While Liverpool are obviously runaway champions and fully deserve their title and are one of the most rampant champions by point totals, they haven't done anything over the course of the season that is mold shattering. They're nothing more special than City were and City also won domestic cups at the same time so you could argue they're a bit less special.

Plus, they finished on 97 points last year. We expected them to challenge for the league. Klopp's side have been at par or marginally better.

Meanwhile, other than me and a handful of others, everyone expected Sheffield United to get relegated by a distance like Norwich have and they're likely to qualify for Europe. They've exceeded expectations in a historic manner. They've got the 2nd cheapest team in the league after Norwich with a squad costing less than half of Watford and Palace, forget the top 6.

What Sheffield United have done is so amazing, I don't think it can be ignored.

I think Sheffield have been excellent, but they’re not that special, there’s been many cases of teams doing it, Bournemouth/Leicester/Southampton etc etc, I would argue Liverpool’s achievement is far rarer than what Sheffield have done.

I also think there’s a notable difference in managing to below average team to a good level, and managing at the very pinnacle of football.

I do get your point, but I don’t agree; Klopp is the only candidate for me, no ones close.
  • Bob_Dylan
    21308 posts Club Captain
    Of course it has to be Klopp, don’t be ridiculous.
  • Snugglebites
    2873 posts Fans' Favourite
    Klopp didn't just win the title. He turned the "best league in the world" into a farmer's league. Even PSG never win this easily.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    I think everyone would put Wilder in the top 2 for this award, it's not ridiculous to have Wilder win it at all, either him or Klopp would be deserved winners.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    Podence has been really good this half
  • Dandingooo
    2104 posts Fans' Favourite
    Apollo wrote: »
    Podence has been really good this half

Still annoyed how he didn’t come on against Sheffield United. Wolves winning a match at HT, 2020 really is insane.
  • ViVaWhom
    9435 posts League Winner
    Klopp didn't just win the title. He turned the "best league in the world" into a farmer's league. Even PSG never win this easily.

pep did it 2 years ago...
  • Ahmer50x
    edited July 2020

"It is a measure of his consistent form that he ranks so highly statistically among Premier League defenders. He is first in clearances (196) and headed clearances (109) made. Tarkowski has competed for 248 aerial challenges, again the highest in the league among defenders and won 185, Van Dijk is second (175 aerials won out of 230). He has made 42 blocks, second only to Aston Villa’s Tyrone Mings (43). He is second in the most duels of any defender (419) but ranks first in duels won (288). It is the dedication required to make sure you keep clean sheets."

I've praised Tark before but glad to see the media starting to recognize him. Would do well for most top 6 sides IMO
  • El_Nino
    9378 posts League Winner

"It is a measure of his consistent form that he ranks so highly statistically among Premier League defenders. He is first in clearances (196) and headed clearances (109) made. Tarkowski has competed for 248 aerial challenges, again the highest in the league among defenders and won 185, Van Dijk is second (175 aerials won out of 230). He has made 42 blocks, second only to Aston Villa’s Tyrone Mings (43). He is second in the most duels of any defender (419) but ranks first in duels won (288). It is the dedication required to make sure you keep clean sheets."

I've praised Tark before but glad to see the media starting to recognize him. Would do well for most top 6 sides IMO

Agreed, fee dependent ofc, but Spurs/United/Chelsea/City/Arsenal should all be considering him, he’d improve every top 6 team tbf, he’d even improve Liverpool tbf.
  • wth22
    11514 posts Has That Special Something

While Liverpool are obviously runaway champions and fully deserve their title and are one of the most rampant champions by point totals, they haven't done anything over the course of the season that is mold shattering. They're nothing more special than City were and City also won domestic cups at the same time so you could argue they're a bit less special.

Plus, they finished on 97 points last year. We expected them to challenge for the league. Klopp's side have been at par or marginally better.

Meanwhile, other than me and a handful of others, everyone expected Sheffield United to get relegated by a distance like Norwich have and they're likely to qualify for Europe. They've exceeded expectations in a historic manner. They've got the 2nd cheapest team in the league after Norwich with a squad costing less than half of Watford and Palace, forget the top 6.

What Sheffield United have done is so amazing, I don't think it can be ignored.

I think Sheffield have been excellent, but they’re not that special, there’s been many cases of teams doing it, Bournemouth/Leicester/Southampton etc etc, I would argue Liverpool’s achievement is far rarer than what Sheffield have done.

I also think there’s a notable difference in managing to below average team to a good level, and managing at the very pinnacle of football.

I do get your point, but I don’t agree; Klopp is the only candidate for me, no ones close.

Have Bournemouth/Leicester/Southampton made Europe straight in their first season? Leicester's achievement was obviously second to none too. Literally unprecedented.

A team improving by, a maximum of 5 points, with fewer distractions than last season at the back end pales in contrast to what Wilder has done for me.