Loot boxes finally being classed as gambling to protect kids in UK??

Comments

• Diem
    296 posts Sunday League Hero
    Diem wrote: »
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    Yeah it’s the packs that need removed the fp is fine and will probably stay.

That's an even better outcome and points more in the direction of a season pass system and cosmetic items in the store. The difference is you will know exactly what you're getting for your money like most other games now. I'm all for this.

I've no issue with cosmetic items, but if you remove packs and make players available only to those who pay I think that's problematic.

And if you don't, does that kill TOTW, TOTS etc since everyone has access to it.

Curious how you see it working, I can't think of a way around it, you've essentially replaced FUT with Seasons?

It's not my position to decide how it would work but if this is made a regulation by law they will have to figure some way out.

A season pass and cosmetics seems the most viable way to still make big profits. But how we will get the players is something EA will have to decide. Rewards would no longer be packs so they could work something with that then the seasons pass would also have players and objectives for players. Some you get for free without the pass and the rest you pay for. Seems the most logical way.

Wasn't saying it was your position, just noted that you've been doing some thinking on it so was curious if you had an idea.

Think it's going to be tricky if they outright remove packs given the scale of the (in game) player numbers, so I could see them decoupling packs from points more (legally) effectively.

• greggles
    2256 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited July 3
    Really baffles me as to why people think the game wont change if the UK ban FP the UK makes fifa, if the UK are excluded there wouldn't be any money at all from the UK to EA's Fifa. and thats going to be the biggest percentage to any other country in the world.

What sickens me is that people want FP to stay, i bet those people know the game isn't produced very well, but what they yet to see is that FP is this very reason why the games are so poor since fifa 10-15.
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    16541 posts World Class

That's an even better outcome and points more in the direction of a season pass system and cosmetic items in the store. The difference is you will know exactly what you're getting for your money like most other games now. I'm all for this.

I've no issue with cosmetic items, but if you remove packs and make players available only to those who pay I think that's problematic.

And if you don't, does that kill TOTW, TOTS etc since everyone has access to it.

Curious how you see it working, I can't think of a way around it, you've essentially replaced FUT with Seasons?

It's not my position to decide how it would work but if this is made a regulation by law they will have to figure some way out.

A season pass and cosmetics seems the most viable way to still make big profits. But how we will get the players is something EA will have to decide. Rewards would no longer be packs so they could work something with that then the seasons pass would also have players and objectives for players. Some you get for free without the pass and the rest you pay for. Seems the most logical way.

Wasn't saying it was your position, just noted that you've been doing some thinking on it so was curious if you had an idea.

Think it's going to be tricky if they outright remove packs given the scale of the (in game) player numbers, so I could see them decoupling packs from points more (legally) effectively.

Sorry mate that wasn't a dig or anything. What I'm saying is I don't have all the answers but have tried giving my vision of what will happen going by what other games have already done. I highly doubt EA will be able to find any sort of loopholes around this either.
    greggles wrote: »
    Really baffles me as to why people think the game wont change if the UK ban FP the UK makes fifa, if the UK are excluded there wouldn't be any money at all from the UK to EA's Fifa. and thats going to be the biggest percentage to any other country in the world.

What sickens me is that people want FP to stay, i bet those people know the game isn't produced very well, but what they yet to see is that FP is this very reason why the games are so poor since fifa 10-15.

People seem to think it will be a similar situation to Belgium but seem to be underestimating the playerbase from the UK and the pull the UK government has on things. Don't know why anyone would want loot boxes to stay in the game given the damage they're causing.
  • greggles
    2256 posts Fans' Favourite
    Yeah, you could list several reasons why FP should be banned, the game being better should be one of the least worrying reasons.
  • Seandimes
    2996 posts National Call-Up
    There's 0 chance Fifa will be 18+, that's out of the question.
    Pretty sure Ea has already multiple plans to modify the store or switch to an entirely different system depending on the word of the law.

How realistic is it there will be any meaningful changes coming out of this?
    I don't really follow UK politics, so I find it hard to judge what to expect
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    16541 posts World Class
    greggles wrote: »
    Yeah, you could list several reasons why FP should be banned, the game being better should be one of the least worrying reasons.

Agreed.
    Seandimes wrote: »
    There's 0 chance Fifa will be 18+, that's out of the question.
    Pretty sure Ea has already multiple plans to modify the store or switch to an entirely different system depending on the word of the law.

How realistic is it there will be any meaningful changes coming out of this?
    I don't really follow UK politics, so I find it hard to judge what to expect

It's looking like a dead cert tbh. The evidence is overwhelming. Would be shocked if they decide things are fine to go on the way they are.
  • Diem
    296 posts Sunday League Hero

Sorry mate that wasn't a dig or anything. What I'm saying is I don't have all the answers but have tried giving my vision of what will happen going by what other games have already done. I highly doubt EA will be able to find any sort of loopholes around this either.

S'all good - nice to have a civilised conversation on here 😁👍
  • Chavez76
    6097 posts Big Money Move
    Not sure how accurate it is, but it anyway:

https://gamstat.com/games/FIFA_20/

UK is not the biggest, but the second biggest market, 1% below USA (13% vs 12%). France is a close third with 11%.
  • Retropoe82
    1321 posts Play-Off Hero
    Chavez76 wrote: »

UK is not the biggest, but the second biggest market, 1% below USA (13% vs 12%). France is a close third with 11%.

An the uk is the smallest country of the two by a fair margin.
  • cdbuck26
    3806 posts National Call-Up
    Retropoe82 wrote: »

This has no relevance
  • Retropoe82
    1321 posts Play-Off Hero
    cdbuck26 wrote: »
    Retropoe82 wrote: »

This has no relevance

It is if you look at it from a sport angle, uk is a football nation like france. As a game yeah its a big deal. To come 2nd to america in any aspect is big tbh.

For ea sports to loose the uk as far as fifa points are concerned it would be a huge blow. Look at what just loosing the rights to juventus cost.

Its been coming the world economy is on a tipe rope an government's will be looking at where we spend our money as they would prefer it to circulate around our communities rather then overseas
  • RA22Y
    314 posts Sunday League Hero
    What the hell is this nonsense about paying £10 every couple of months to access the content? It's a ridiculous idea!
    If i pay £60 for the game, then i want full access to the game, not have to plough in another £60 over the course of the year.
    This so called subscription model you refer to is only a fair and viable option if the base game itself is free.
    You are advocating that to stop people buying FPs, then EVERYBODY gets hit in the pocket, even those that never go near them.

You won't be forced to buy the game.
  • Drachenfells
    1009 posts Professional
    If you stoped the UK from playing FUT when the rest of the world could, how long do you think ea would keep the premire leauge licence? The backlash in our media would be massive and the premiership would be forced to withdraw from EA pretty quick.
  • RA22Y
    314 posts Sunday League Hero
    Retro_G wrote: »
    They'll have to use a system similar to Rivals, they need to stamp out relegation. Apex Legends do a good job with there ranked modes, Fifa should be similar. It will be important to have proper skill based matchmaking to keep the casuals happy. Pro vs Pro, Casual vs Casual etc.

EA must know when you go into match making that your team contains players required for objectives. Why can't they match you up with someone with a similar team, and also look at your overall record, your highest league position and you past 4 or 5 games to decide who you will play next.

Someone who has been in div 2 but is in div 6 and has just smashed 2 players who have never been higher than div 6 should get matched up with div 2 players for their next few games, regardless of their current division.

It isn't hard to work out who is relegating on purpose.

Also, objectives need to be based on playing the game, with the win requirements dropped.
  • Retropoe82
    1321 posts Play-Off Hero
    If you stoped the UK from playing FUT when the rest of the world could, how long do you think ea would keep the premire leauge licence? The backlash in our media would be massive and the premiership would be forced to withdraw from EA pretty quick.

An the amount of money that circulated in fifa pre pandemic was alot. Post well were watching, government's are too. Remember this our government are borrowing at an alarming rate, so they will do all in there power to attempt to stop overseas spending. Just look at how much money were driving into our economy. Improvements etc. Then look at how much gamers spend. An fifa i bet is top of the uk list. Thats a figure the government will keep an eye on.