Loot boxes finally being classed as gambling to protect kids in UK??

Comments

• Fifa_Hawk_85
    16541 posts World Class
    To protect kids 😂 you mean the 40 year old ones 😝

Both tbh 🤣

RadioShaq wrote: »
    The new legislation is about packs not just the fp. I originally missed that part. So I doubt they would be prepared for that. Uk won’t even be able to play the game. Won’t even be like Belgium as that was just fp.

Yeah we all know that's not happening. Imagine the media with that story. " EA have chose to exclude all players from the UK as the government decides loot boxes are gambling for kids, instead of taking the gambling side away".

That would be the biggest PR nightmare ever. Would laugh at the fall of EA if they went down that route.
  • Mogga
    1580 posts Play-Off Hero
    From what I can tell the Epic Games, Fortnite model works well . Free game but they must be absolutely raking in the profits. Season objectives whereby you pick up rewards along the way, not dissimilar to what is already in FUT at present. I cant see this game evolving any other way tbh (except maybe the free game at the outset bit)
  • tedski69
    197 posts Sunday League Hero
    They will still rake in the money but now they'll have to offer a player at a fixed price.
  • Knowlesdinho
    13362 posts Has That Special Something
    tedski69 wrote: »
    They will still rake in the money but now they'll have to offer a player at a fixed price.

I mean that presents a whole new set of problems doesn't it...

"I bought PIM R9 for £500 and he gets knocked off the ball by a non rare defender by a noob that hasn't spent any money on his team... It can't possibly be anything to do with my lack of skill at the game!"

I can just see them threads popping up all over the place if there's an option to buy players.
  • Rich2015
    237 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited July 2
    They won't sell players,that's laughable,can you imagine the media reporting it.Would be a huge backlash.

Literally no way that is going to happen

Season pass

But no matter what they do they are going to lose a huge amount of revenue...UK today the rest of the world will follow

I can't see Fifa having its licence on a 18 rated game with gambling in it that children could still buy.

No FIFA licence will open the door for other less greedy publishers to maybe have a crack at a football game with some licences

It is a win win situation for us gamers,anyone one that thinks it isn't are just addicted to buying packs a game mode that uses predatory gambling mechanics and pushes it to children like some shady drug dealer in a back alley

Ladbrokes would also make a killing if they allowed 3 and up to gamble

It is dirty money EA have made and it is at the expense of their reputation.They will always be known as the most greediest anti consumer game publishers ever in the history of gaming

beyond greedy

but now the chickens are coming home to roost and this day has been a long time coming

I do also hope that like the tobacco industry EA get sued for damages somewhere along the line

Lets remember ..they could push and button and take the packs out of FUT today..Right now..but they choose not to...They choose to damage our future generation with predatory gambling practices and its disgusting
  • Diem
    296 posts Sunday League Hero
    The comparison with Fortnite are not valid. There you get cosmetic items, not gameplay.

If you start making players available to only those who pay it'll crater the user base.

Also, people need to realise FUT is PEGI 13, not PEGI 3. You need an account (fiddled) to a minimum age to play. But that's then doubling down on parental responsibility, if you're allowing your child to cheat the age restrictions and fund their packs.

Not a reason not to investigate the matter, but frothing about PEGI 3 undermines the argument unnecessarily. It's teens who will be more vulnerable anyway, as the competitive nature send peer status / pressure is more relevent.
  • Rich2015
    Diem wrote: »
    Also, people need to realise FUT is PEGI 13, not PEGI 3. You need an account (fiddled) to a minimum age to play.

The game is PEGI 3

reguardless of if you have to be 13 and over to tick a little box on a TV screen to play online and i am sure there is lots of 8 year olds that play Fifa not just teens
  • Rich2015
    Not a reason not to investigate the matter, but frothing about PEGI 3 undermines the argument unnecessarily. It's teens who will be more vulnerable anyway, as the competitive nature send peer status / pressure is more relevent.

No it don't undermine the argument

The game is PEGI 3

Suitable for all ages

It don't matter if you have to tick a box to say you are over 13 to play FUT

• Stone_cold_tea93
    3383 posts National Call-Up
    Rich2015 wrote: »

The game is PEGI 3

Suitable for all ages

Kinda does though
  • Diem

The game is PEGI 3

Suitable for all ages

Kinda does though

Agreed. The game itself, kick off, seasons, Volta is 3. Online / FUT is 13.
  • Bags
    1134 posts Professional

The game is PEGI 3

Suitable for all ages

Kinda does though

It's a 13 because loot boxes are not classed as gambling. As and when that happens, they will be classed as 18 i would assume
  • Diem
    Bags wrote: »

The game is PEGI 3

Suitable for all ages

Kinda does though

It's a 13 because loot boxes are not classed as gambling. As and when that happens, they will be classed as 18 i would assume

Yes, 13 due to the online interactions, rather than loot boxes.

I still think there's a middle ground where they more effectively restrict the purchase to over 18s

• SuperKMx
    2037 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited July 3
    The new legislation is about packs not just the fp. I originally missed that part. So I doubt they would be prepared for that. Uk won’t even be able to play the game. Won’t even be like Belgium as that was just fp.

Again, incorrect.

The new legislation is about classing lootboxes as gambling. Poker sites warn against it with big old "18+" banners on their sites, but a 12-year-old can sign up on most poker sites and play with "play chips" without needing a credit card. Because there's is no value going into or coming out of the transaction, it's essentially just a video game based on poker at that point.

EA could run a region-specific monthly subscription model with different levels without falling foul of the rules. Or they could just make it worldwide and do away with buying packs with points.

So - for example - you could have a £19.99 a month tier that gives you an Ultimate Pack and 50k in coins each month, then a £9.99 a month tier that gives you a Rare Players Pack and 20k in coins. That wouldn't be illegal, since you're paying to access the game and not paying to purchase lootboxes. The lootboxes would be "reward" content. They could then throw in bonus packs for taking an annual subscription or for subscribing for multiple months in a row.

Not saying that's what they'll do, but they could. And despite people saying that they'd lose money over selling points directly, they almost certainly wouldn't. The whales who spend £10k on packs in a year would be gone, but actual millions of people who never spend a penny on points would suddenly be stumping up £10 every single month just to play.

And for the folks talking about that badly-researched video about EA refusing to put a block on FIFA Points purchases...they actually can't because of the way the transaction works. They could MAYBE do it on PC, where purchases go through their own store. But the console manufacturers don't have game-specific self-exclusion options, and they are the ones that would need to block the transaction. You don't even have to be in the game to buy FIFA Points from the Microsoft or PlayStation stores, so how would EA have any control over that?

About all EA could do is refund the transaction every time an addicted person tries to buy, which would require significant amounts of coding, a master list of self-excluding players, and multiple failsafes to prevent lawsuits. Or, a team of customer service staff who JUST do that all day.

It isn't just a matter of saying "He said he doesn't want to buy points anymore, so we'll just press this button and turn off purchases for him..."
  • LeftPeg001
    113 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    SuperKMx wrote: »

Again, incorrect.

The new legislation is about classing lootboxes as gambling. Poker sites warn against it with big old "18+" banners on their sites, but a 12-year-old can sign up on most poker sites and play with "play chips" without needing a credit card. Because there's is no value going into or coming out of the transaction, it's essentially just a video game based on poker at that point.

EA could run a region-specific monthly subscription model with different levels without falling foul of the rules. Or they could just make it worldwide and do away with buying packs with points.

So - for example - you could have a £19.99 a month tier that gives you an Ultimate Pack and 50k in coins each month, then a £9.99 a month tier that gives you a Rare Players Pack and 20k in coins. That wouldn't be illegal, since you're paying to access the game and not paying to purchase lootboxes. The lootboxes would be "reward" content. They could then throw in bonus packs for taking an annual subscription or for subscribing for multiple months in a row.

Not saying that's what they'll do, but they could. And despite people saying that they'd lose money over selling points directly, they almost certainly wouldn't. The whales who spend £10k on packs in a year would be gone, but actual millions of people who never spend a penny on points would suddenly be stumping up £10 every single month just to play.

And for the folks talking about that badly-researched video about EA refusing to put a block on FIFA Points purchases...they actually can't because of the way the transaction works. They could MAYBE do it on PC, where purchases go through their own store. But the console manufacturers don't have game-specific self-exclusion options, and they are the ones that would need to block the transaction. You don't even have to be in the game to buy FIFA Points from the Microsoft or PlayStation stores, so how would EA have any control over that?

About all EA could do is refund the transaction every time an addicted person tries to buy, which would require significant amounts of coding, a master list of self-excluding players, and multiple failsafes to prevent lawsuits. Or, a team of customer service staff who JUST do that all day.

It isn't just a matter of saying "He said he doesn't want to buy points anymore, so we'll just press this button and turn off purchases for him..."

It’s not the same as a poker site as anything won on ultimate team has the potential to be exchanged for money on third party sites.

The subscription idea with packs is also a no go because packs are loot boxes and games of chance, as stated by the report. Maybe could do player picks but I don’t think that’s a great solution.

Also the idea of buying packs without points won’t be allowed either, they are loot boxes, that’s the very thing they are putting a stop to.

This is going to require a massive overhaul if it’s to work, the report from the House of Lords is damning in every aspect and the evidence from clinical studies is overwhelming. If the laws get passed as we expect the it will be the end of ultimate team as we know it

• SuperKMx
    LeftPeg001 wrote: »
    It’s not the same as a poker site as anything won on ultimate team has the potential to be exchanged for money on third party sites.

You can sell play coin accounts and coins from poker sites quite easily, and people do. I've literally just searched eBay for some and there are tons. It is exactly the same.
    The subscription idea with packs is also a no go because packs are loot boxes and games of chance, as stated by the report. Maybe could do player picks but I don’t think that’s a great solution.

But it's HOW those games of chance are presented. Packs, lootboxes, or another type of "random chance" offering will 100% still exist within FIFA. It's just that you won't be able to pay for them directly. They'll be able to sell a subscription that comes with free packs, because that way, you aren't buying the packs (you're buying access to the game and the packs are a bonus) and you aren't able to make repeated purchases to obtain more packs.

SBCs will still reward packs, too.

They just won't be able to sell them.
    Also the idea of buying packs without points won’t be allowed either, they are loot boxes, that’s the very thing they are putting a stop to.

No, it isn't. They are attempting to put a stop to children purchasing games of chance for money. The same way that kids can't buy scratchcards and lottery tickets. That is ALL they're doing. If they had any sort of reliable age verification service and could separate the game into "real" and "free" modes the same way the betting and poker sites do, they'd do that.

But they can't, so they'll switch to a subscription system that covers everyone.
  • phep
    1521 posts Play-Off Hero

You can sell play coin accounts and coins from poker sites quite easily, and people do. I've literally just searched eBay for some and there are tons. It is exactly the same.

But it's HOW those games of chance are presented. Packs, lootboxes, or another type of "random chance" offering will 100% still exist within FIFA. It's just that you won't be able to pay for them directly. They'll be able to sell a subscription that comes with free packs, because that way, you aren't buying the packs (you're buying access to the game and the packs are a bonus) and you aren't able to make repeated purchases to obtain more packs.

No, it isn't. They are attempting to put a stop to children purchasing games of chance for money. The same way that kids can't buy scratchcards and lottery tickets. That is ALL they're doing. If they had any sort of reliable age verification service and could separate the game into "real" and "free" modes the same way the betting and poker sites do, they'd do that.

But they can't, so they'll switch to a subscription system that covers everyone.

I know what you’re saying, and I tend to agree with most of it, but as of yet, there’s just a report of recommendations from the Lords and nothing actually resembling legislation at this point. In fact, the report says “legislation does not need to be written, just amended to include loot boxes in the definition”. At this point, it’s not really clear exactly what that means.
  • LeftPeg001
    113 posts Has Potential To Be Special

I’m not sure purchasing with real money comes in to it. If someone rinses their club to buy packs for the chance of something better then that’s still a gamble, as far as your brain is concerned it’s exactly the same. You won’t be able to buy packs with coins.

It’s patterns of behaviour that they are trying to stop forming. Kids know nothing about the value of money anyway so the actual money side matters very little.

Maybe they will get away with subscription based packs but I still think that’s unlikely. It’s still slot machine mechanics. The suspense, the bright colours the thrill of getting something good. I think this goes much further than you think. This will be legislation to protect people against predatory companies, obviously but also to prevent certain thought pathways developing in young minds.

I also think EA are going to have to tread carefully in terms of licensing. If they just paper over the cracks and go for the loophole approach then I can’t see FIFA allowing themselves to be pimped out in order for ea to continue making obscene amounts of money. We know ea don’t care how they are perceived but FIFA won’t want to be associated with it.
  • RadioShaq
    16051 posts Moderator
    Yeah it’s the packs that need removed the fp is fine and will probably stay.
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    16541 posts World Class

That's an even better outcome and points more in the direction of a season pass system and cosmetic items in the store. The difference is you will know exactly what you're getting for your money like most other games now. I'm all for this.
  • RadioShaq
    16051 posts Moderator
    Doesn’t sound that great if the uk gets excluded though. Especially if fifa has already started by the time it passes.
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    16541 posts World Class
    Doesn’t sound that great if the uk gets excluded though. Especially if fifa has already started by the time it passes.

The UK won't be excluded from the game. There's no scenario where that happens. Would be a PR disaster and I highly doubt FIFA would even let that happen. It would be the end of EA having the rights to FIFA and if they want to go down that road instead of adapting then so be it. I would happily sit a year out and wait for a company that actually cares to take over.

But again there's no scenario where this happens. EA will have seen this coming a long time ago and will have things set in place to make a quick transition. For all we know loot boxes could already be gone in 21 as we know nothing about the game yet.

Even if it hasn't passed by the time 21 is released which is unlikely, I would imagine EA are well aware they aren't getting another full year out of this current model. They would be best making the transition at the beginning of a new game and new gen consoles instead of having to do it a few months into the game cycle.

This is great news for us gamers.
  • Rich2015
    For all we know loot boxes could already be gone in 21 as we know nothing about the game yet.

Pre orders feature 24 rare gold packs for how ever many weeks

• Fifa_Hawk_85
    16541 posts World Class
    For all we know loot boxes could already be gone in 21 as we know nothing about the game yet.

Pre orders feature 24 rare gold packs for how ever many weeks

Fair enough. Well they will have to adapt one way or another. They will be able to change the pre order content and give people that's pre ordered the option to continue with the new content or get a refund.
  • Queens11
    2309 posts Fans' Favourite
    Seandimes wrote: »
    I highly doubt gameplay will improve if lootboxes go away. The gameplay isn't in the state its in because Ea doesn't have the resources or doesn't know how to improve it, its exactly how EA wants it to be.

Skill based one on one games simply aren't popular. Casual players don't want to spend hours and hours to improve. they want to hop on, play a game or two, and have a shot at winning. The more random the game is, the better for ea.
    They know the hardcore fifa fans won't quit no matter what.

That’s the problem the can throw any ❤️❤️❤️❤️ at Fifa players and it will stick anyway
    Bags wrote: »
    Like others said to close to the new games coming out. Will probably just ban it in the uk like Belgium.

they dont need to ban it, they just need to accept it for what is it - which is gambling. Adults are free to gamble if they choose but the industry is regulated to stop it becoming a problem.

EA at any point could have voluntarily implemented these steps but would rather talk about Kinder Eggs and surprise mechanics. They have brought this totally upon themselves by their greed.

In one of FIFA Analysts recent YT videos he talks about contacting EA and asking them to put a block on him buying FP because he was spending far to much on them. They told him they can't (or perhaps won't). If FP was classified as gambling this is exactly the sort of measures they would have to implement.

What an excellent post. Completely agree.

EA could simply have created a function to ‘self exclude’ from buying Fifa points and this entire topic would not be currently under discussion. However they completely prioritised profit as opposed to duty of care or customer satisfaction and it will hit them in the pocket. Hand over fist at every opportunity and it’s completely their own fault as FUT would have been a goldmine regardless.

Greed and nothing but greed.

Greed is the word indeed I can remember that ea lawyer when asked by the mps should ea be responsible to ensure children are not becoming addicted to their game she replied no why should we there is no law says we should 🤮

The entire company stinks from top to bottom
  • NornIron
    13800 posts Has That Special Something
    edited July 3
    Bring back bronze and silver tournaments/leagues and earn your way to a great team'' Thats what ultimate was supposed be'' Not to have a great team before the game is even released.
  • The_Faries_76
    629 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Why are we assuming that fps and packs, will go? Surely the game will just become 16 rated, and you'll have to tick some box online to agree to their terms and conditions.
    I Havnt bought a pack since Christmas, but that is not because of some hatred of the game or ea, its because I got fudged off at opening 125k packs to find 83 rated danilo perrira as my highest rated player. If the pack content was clearer, I'd have no problem spending money on the game.
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    16541 posts World Class
    Why are we assuming that fps and packs, will go? Surely the game will just become 16 rated, and you'll have to tick some box online to agree to their terms and conditions.
    I Havnt bought a pack since Christmas, but that is not because of some hatred of the game or ea, its because I got fudged off at opening 125k packs to find 83 rated danilo perrira as my highest rated player. If the pack content was clearer, I'd have no problem spending money on the game.

First of all it would have to be an 18+ not 16 and secondly FIFA would never let EA do that. It's most likely in their contract.
  • Diem

That's an even better outcome and points more in the direction of a season pass system and cosmetic items in the store. The difference is you will know exactly what you're getting for your money like most other games now. I'm all for this.

I've no issue with cosmetic items, but if you remove packs and make players available only to those who pay I think that's problematic.

And if you don't, does that kill TOTW, TOTS etc since everyone has access to it.

Curious how you see it working, I can't think of a way around it, you've essentially replaced FUT with Seasons?
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    16541 posts World Class

I've no issue with cosmetic items, but if you remove packs and make players available only to those who pay I think that's problematic.

And if you don't, does that kill TOTW, TOTS etc since everyone has access to it.

Curious how you see it working, I can't think of a way around it, you've essentially replaced FUT with Seasons?

It's not my position to decide how it would work but if this is made a regulation by law they will have to figure some way out.

A season pass and cosmetics seems the most viable way to still make big profits. But how we will get the players is something EA will have to decide. Rewards would no longer be packs so they could work something with that then the seasons pass would also have players and objectives for players. Some you get for free without the pass and the rest you pay for. Seems the most logical way.
  • SuperKMx

Because that would open EA up to lawsuits galore. Child ticks the box saying they're over 16, spends £2,000 on packs on mummy's credit card, mummy tries to get the money back, EA/Sony/Microsoft/the credit card company refuse, mummy takes EA to court and wins because the child isn't old enough in the eyes of the law to understand what he was agreeing to

EA ends up paying back £2k plus damages plus fees. Everybody else who has bought a substantial amount of FIFA Points for their dumb spoilt kid crawls out of the woodwork and claims the kid did it behind their back and that they want their money back. EA would pretty much have to give it to them, too.

EA probably already know they'll make more money in the long run from a subscription system where every single player has to pay, as well as by throwing non-lootboxed purchasable cosmetic add-ons on top.

"Merry Christmas, son! I got you some FIFABucks, so now you can go buy that parrot that flies through the stadium before each match that you wanted. Or that floss dance celebration. Or that stadium theme. Or that limited edition badge. Or that TIFO..."