I stopped playing FUT about 3 weeks ago - this is what I realized, and wish EA would also read

4dvz
1142 posts Professional
edited July 2020
First of all, I love Fifa games and I have been playing them for + 20 years, every year.

I have been a total maniac, who has been obsessed with being the best out there for 2 decades now. Only in a few ocassions I actually proved myself to be amongst the best during this time, but it`s been a long time ago now. Last years I have been a complete loser in this game in my point of view, never mind the +2000 matches I played FUT this year. No significant accomplishments, but I did try, I really did.

I have been exhausted and down for a long time. This is something I realized at first, when I had been 1 week without this game. I felt this sense of freedom that I had not felt in a long time. I got to actually figure out things to do for my weekend, instead of obsessively playing the weekend league. After the 2nd week I was no longer exhausted, nor felt bad in general. I was happy. I didn`t remember how it felt to be happy, and to be honest when I realized this I cried a bit because it felt so nice.

What drove me into exhaustion, was the constant pressure to stay in the competition of getting the best possible players, getting red picks every week, not missing anything you know and being able to get all the new players they constantly release. I felt the pressure because I wanted my team to be able to compete against other players. 30 sweaty matches every weekend with the breaks you need to take in order to play well.. it eats up a lot of time. I could play 10 matches friday, saturday and sunday in general and I felt I always had to do it even though it consumed too much of my time, and made me frustrated and tired. I had no energy left for other activities. I work from monday to friday, and weekend should be the time to live my life. This is what I chose to do for years in a row, years.

I also had to play rivals every week to get objectives done, and to get the rewards. This was something I did every night, instead of spending time with my woman and friends. I rarely left the house.

All of this made me think about Fifa 24/7. I went to sleep thinking about the game. I woke up thinking about the game.

I also spent a good amount of money to buy packs, atleast 500€ this year. That`s not a lot of money, but to put it in a video game that dies off every year when a new one is released is just plain stupid. I was plain stupid, because I didn`t want to face much better teams constantly. I wanted to play with equal teams with my opponent, for it to be fair. That`s what I achieved, a team as good as every other player seemed to have. It makes me wonder that there must be a lot of players consuming their energy and life to this game way more than they should, thinking only about their own happiness and health.


I`m not here to badmouth this game, I freaking love football and Fifa is the best football game around in my opinion. (Yes tried out PES too, but the online is just.. well, sad.)
What I really want to address is, that this game mode FUT should be completely remade and rethought to be something for the players to gain happiness from. The game itself has always been fun, but what it`s doing to players at this level is just not ok. No game should be made to suck off energy and time from the players like FUT does at this stage.

EA should not constantly release new player cards like they do now. They should release them maybe only a few times in the cycle of this game, maybe in bigger amounts at a time. This would ease the pressure to put all your spare time into this game every week, because you could have steady goals to pursue certain players who would also hold their value over the game better. At this stage you constantly need to be stressed about your team outdating, and it`s all just not fun in the long run. It`s work. Yes, this game has evolved to be stressful work for it`s players who pay money for EA to work.

EA should also make sure that people get matched with equal teams most of the time, instead what`s happening now. It should not be possible to face +90 team with 80 rated team. This should be included in the match making. Right now this only rewards those players like myself who spent their life playing, and never had to encounter way better teams. The rest of the players who don`t want to consume their energy have to play against overpowered teams all time long.

Also for the love of god make the weekend league a weekly league that can be played throughout the week, not just during the weekend or then decrease the amount of matches.

This game is a money making machine for EA, so I doubt they ever change what they do, because as we know money controls their actions.

I`m certain that I will never be happy if I touch FUT again as it is. FUT is a great idea, but executed completely wrong. I would love to build my own team and play against other players who have similar level teams without having to sacrifice my life and money.

I came back to this forum only to share my feelings with the community, in hope of a more player friendly Fifa someday in the future. Share the word, I know lot of you feel just like I do.

We need happiness for our money, not sadness. If a product brings you sadness, it`s not a good product for you.

Comments

  • CosmicFuzz
    839 posts Semi-Pro
    You are not alone in the way you are feeling. The game is built on the premise of FOMO and it can be difficult to break the cycle.
    In a way working weekends stopped me getting caught up in the psychology of the game because I know when I'm working I haven't got time to play so chasing red picks was never a driving factor.

    As the gambling ads say....when the fun stops, STOP
  • MorisNoWorries
    88 posts Park Captain
    Well said. Thanks for sharing!
  • Hoopsterz
    3365 posts National Call-Up
    Thats one of the main issues with FUT - I do think a lot of people play it just out of habit and FOMO but don't actually enjoy their time playing it.. but they may enjoy that one game in 10 that for them makes it worth while..

    If you don't enjoy 9/10 games then you should be playing fifa.. i realised this earlier this year and decided to stop playing. I miss having something football related in my life but after almost 4 months of not touching fifa the initial missing of something football related has definitely massively gone down.. The idea of playing fifa now just makes me sad and that drives me not to play it anymore.
  • Diggy
    15601 posts World Class
    I can remember when FIFA was fun to play & skill based without all these stupid assist mechanics to close the skill gap
  • SignpostSounder
    4213 posts National Call-Up
    edited July 2020
    I agree with a lot of what you've said, but "at this stage you constantly need to be stressed about your team outdating" is something I disagree with.

    I feel that's a myth brought on by players themselves, as well as content creators and EA. It's a byproduct of addiction and FOMO. And it's an excuse.

    I'm not saying that you should build an 82-rated team in September and still be playing with it in August, but the sheer number of players you see who get EVERY SBC player and complete EVERY objective because somebody said Player X was a "sUpErSuB!" or Player Y is a "cHeAt CoDe!!!!" is nonsensical. Then the excuse they give for having 9,236 untradeable cards with 1 game each on them is that they don't want their team to be outdated or to fall behind the power curve. And they're playing FUT Champs is for the red picks (that could be ten hours of sweat for three 80 rated players) for the same reason.

    I was competitive in Rivals and Champs in March with a Japanese team with a silver keeper. Fullbacks rated 75. The top scorer in my club is 84-rated Liga NOS SBC Nakajima. Wasn't far off Elite in Champs one week with that team. Would I have gotten better results with a 90+ rated squad? Maybe. But I still wouldn't be in the top 100 as I don't have the skill. So what difference would a better team even make, other than the minor high of saying "Yay, I got Elite 2" a couple times? That applies to 95% of the player base, too. They aren't ever going to be the eSports King earning $750 for a third-place finish in an event or whatever it is now, so why suffer to try to get cards that are only marginally better than what you have?

    A lot of them will say "but I want to play with my favourite players tho!" and that's all well and good. But then look what happens when their "favourite" player doesn't work as well as a super-fast winger from the Scottish Premier League who they've likely never heard of outside of FIFA.

    The only question people who genuinely have no aspirations of being a professional player should ask themselves is "Am I having fun?"

    If they aren't, they should stop playing.
  • tommyboyo
    4221 posts National Call-Up
    edited July 2020
    I quit 3-4 weeks ago as well.

    I miss certain things - mainly being able to 'lose' a few hours when bored - but on the whole, a much calmer and happier person now.

    Deleted team and then ebay'ed my console, so no chance of playing 20 again and 21 looks unlikely as well.

    Maybe I will buy a next gen as and when, but probably give them a year to bed in first, so my next Fifa could be a while!!
  • Blackbird10
    1289 posts Professional
    WL has never bothered me. When I play, it’s because I have a rare free weekend. I’d never try and cram it in alongside going out, seeing my loved ones, going to the match etc. I do force myself to get rank 3 rivals each week though.
  • JT_cfc
    950 posts Professional
    WL make me rage, beyond words. constantly get matched up against God teams, and drag back and cut back abusers cut out all the fun.
  • tommyboyo
    4221 posts National Call-Up
    SuperKMx wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what you've said, but "at this stage you constantly need to be stressed about your team outdating" is something I disagree with.

    I feel that's a myth brought on by players themselves, as well as content creators and EA. It's a byproduct of addiction and FOMO. And it's an excuse.

    I'm not saying that you should build an 82-rated team in September and still be playing with it in August, but the sheer number of players you see who get EVERY SBC player and complete EVERY objective because somebody said Player X was a "sUpErSuB!" or Player Y is a "cHeAt CoDe!!!!" is nonsensical. Then the excuse they give for having 9,236 untradeable cards with 1 game each on them is that they don't want their team to be outdated or to fall behind the power curve. And they're playing FUT Champs is for the red picks (that could be ten hours of sweat for three 80 rated players) for the same reason.

    I was competitive in Rivals and Champs in March with a Japanese team with a silver keeper. Fullbacks rated 75. The top scorer in my club is 84-rated Liga NOS SBC Nakajima. Wasn't far off Elite in Champs one week with that team. Would I have gotten better results with a 90+ rated squad? Maybe. But I still wouldn't be in the top 100 as I don't have the skill. So what difference would a better team even make, other than the minor high of saying "Yay, I got Elite 2" a couple times? That applies to 95% of the player base, too. They aren't ever going to be the eSports King earning $750 for a third-place finish in an event or whatever it is now, so why suffer to try to get cards that are only marginally better than what you have?

    A lot of them will say "but I want to play with my favourite players tho!" and that's all well and good. But then look what happens when their "favourite" player doesn't work as well as a super-fast winger from the Scottish Premier League who they've likely never heard of outside of FIFA.

    The only question people who genuinely have no aspirations of being a professional player should ask themselves is "Am I having fun?"

    If they aren't, they should stop playing.

    Great post, so true.

    Also amazing how many people's 'favourite' players happen to be Neymar, Mbappe, Kante ET AL.

    Convenient, but also bull ❤️❤️❤️❤️ IRL!!
  • Freefolk
    1684 posts Play-Off Hero
    Well done mate, if it works for you stick to it.
    I myself suffer from severe depression, and am currently out of work, it passes a lot of time but I’m definitely not enjoying it as much anymore and im sure it isnt helping my mental state. Would love to have your willpower!
  • GULAG
    1004 posts Professional
    If your mind is weak this game will fuxk you, if your mind is strong it really ain't a problem.
  • CeeQue
    14932 posts Has That Special Something
    This game is so bad I'm back to playing Fallout 4 full
  • Gazmac_868
    2895 posts Fans' Favourite
    Amazing post I couldn’t agree more been playing since Fifa 95 and everything you said is 100%. They have turned fut into the ultimate rat race.
  • rezyy
    828 posts Semi-Pro
    He is totally right the game is becoming an addiction and a total grind and it’s very exhausting, there is real pressure there to always play and if you don’t yep you think your going to miss out.

    How they expect anyone to put in 12 -15 hours over a weekend to complete 30 games is just crazy, when questioned about average hours people are playing there game EA would never admit that this is what someone has to do for them to get rewards.

    Yeah that needs to change, and so do time limits on any player objectives.

    Just bring out a store where you can either buy players or buy coins or make every player achievable through objectives,

    I have 2.7 million xp for the catalog, why can you not purchase players in there ?

    The whole game needs a revamp

    I have played 3800 ultimate team matches, have about 40 90+ rated players, not spent a penny but it has been a grind, not something I will be doing again with fifa 21

    Just not worth it

    Rewards are terrible, packs are terrible,
    No feel good factor whatsoever
  • Drachenfells
    1924 posts Play-Off Hero
    Unfortunately FIFA is working EXACTLY as intended, it is made to make you feel scared of missing the next big player, I quit weeks ago but have come back to get Zlatan, absolutely hate playing online but I feel a need to get him, stupid and pointless I know but that's the driving idea behind all of their ideas, to get under your skin so you feel a need to get the new player.

    They made the new Mandy and Bruno cards faily easy to obtain until you realize how many game each took an the way the squad requirements were you could not do both at once.

    The lockdown has been a godsend for them and they have tried to make sure you will not play other games as the new shiny players required all your time.
  • pavan791
    704 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Freefolk wrote: »
    Well done mate, if it works for you stick to it.
    I myself suffer from severe depression, and am currently out of work, it passes a lot of time but I’m definitely not enjoying it as much anymore and im sure it isnt helping my mental state. Would love to have your willpower!

    If you feel in any form that it is having an effect on your mental health, then it is time to either seek help from someone that can guide you in the right direction or take small steps yourself to try and address it.

    I am very well aware that is very easily said than done but you do have the willpower, you just have to believe in the fact that you do. Positive thinking goes a long way into achieving what you set out to do and i am pretty sure you have heard all of this before but hear it again here - i am just further consolidating your conscious/subconscious mind so that you can try and steer in that direction again.


  • Freefolk
    1684 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited July 2020
    pavan791 wrote: »
    Freefolk wrote: »
    Well done mate, if it works for you stick to it.
    I myself suffer from severe depression, and am currently out of work, it passes a lot of time but I’m definitely not enjoying it as much anymore and im sure it isnt helping my mental state. Would love to have your willpower!

    If you feel in any form that it is having an effect on your mental health, then it is time to either seek help from someone that can guide you in the right direction or take small steps yourself to try and address it.

    I am very well aware that is very easily said than done but you do have the willpower, you just have to believe in the fact that you do. Positive thinking goes a long way into achieving what you set out to do and i am pretty sure you have heard all of this before but hear it again here - i am just further consolidating your conscious/subconscious mind so that you can try and steer in that direction again.


    Thanks mate, good advice there for sure, my problems are rooted very deep from my childhood and have got much worse the last couple of years, positive thinking is indeed harder said than done for sure, I have help, in my wife, my therapist and medication.
    I have definitely played Fifa much less this year than last year, can only play max of 3 games a session now and I have to turn it off win or lose, so thats a positive step!
    Also playing a lot of guitar, reading and exercising, I will get better!
  • RedDevil123
    440 posts Sunday League Hero
    I stopped playing in December and haven't missed it to be honest. The last day I played it I spent almost all my coins on CR7 (about 1.2m at the time), I thought that would keep me going for a bit but I just couldn't be arsed with it. Played less than 10 games with him I think.

    I loaded the game up last week for the first time in months, just to check out the soccer aid icon team in kick off. I had a little look in fut to see what SBCs were on and put all my untradable a into the prime icon sbc. Of course having not played for ages I got my best pull ever in Cruyff 😆. I still haven't played another game though and have no desire to really, it just isn't worth it.
  • GoalGiant
    1804 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited July 2020
    I’ve had enough of this game. It’s deliberately addictive in nature and it’s very easy to fall into the trap.

    I’ve had enough. I’ve completed 22 icon sbcs with nobody over 400k and it’s shameful I keep coming back to do more. It’s summer, it’s time to enjoy the outdoors not stress over virtual cards.

    I am plugging my team into one final icon pack so I have nothing left to tempt me back.

    Watch this one be R9...

    Squeezed 3 more awful ones out from my team. Deleted companion app and the game on console. Time to relax!
Sign In or Register to comment.