The English Football League Lounge 2020/21

Comments

• Ashy
    15201 posts World Class
    Can't get over how this pass somehow manages to take out 4 players. Sums up our defending though.

Thought Arsenal was bad
  • Farlz
    9567 posts League Winner
    Ranieri inbound, then John Terry when Ranieri doesn't work out @Farlz

seems like Football insider were talking rubbish unsurprisingly. That being said I don't want him sacked, especially not at this point

Next season I don't know, I wouldn't be against giving Smith another chance with us in the Championship
  • Dizzy Bala
    3970 posts National Call-Up
    Think given our recent form, tomorrow is a must win. Far too many teams chomping at the bit to get into the Playoffs now. Win and we'll go 4th, lose and I think we're susceptible to dropping out.
  • AaronMFC
    2231 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited June 2020
    AaronMFC wrote: »
    Can’t remember the last time a manager making his debut won a game for us.. in fact you could probably count on one hands the number that have done it full stop.

Saw this on twitter earlier the last manager to do that was Brian Robson.

That’s shocking, pure shocking. 26 years then?

Im not certain when robson took us over tbh it is surprising no other manager won their first game since him in the 90s though. Im only 25 so if it is 26 years this is the first time in my life our manager has won his first game.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    Ashy wrote: »
    Can't get over how this pass somehow manages to take out 4 players. Sums up our defending though.

Thought Arsenal was bad

It's genuinely amazing to me that we still genuinely haven't replaced Hangeland & Hughes as our Centre-Back pairing.

Ream and Odoi got us up and Hector's decent, but apart from Ream in our promotion season we genuinely haven't had a genuinely reliable Centre-Back pairing that you look at with confidence. Hope we try for someone like Dickie to partner Hector this summer.
  • mott1993
    961 posts Semi-Pro
    Dizzy Bala wrote: »
    Think given our recent form, tomorrow is a must win. Far too many teams chomping at the bit to get into the Playoffs now. Win and we'll go 4th, lose and I think we're susceptible to dropping out.

You have to play us on Wednesday, I wouldn't worry about dropping out of the play-offs just yet
  • They Caged Non
    6492 posts Big Money Move
    Can’t remember the last time a manager making his debut won a game for us.. in fact you could probably count on one hands the number that have done it full stop.

Im not certain when robson took us over tbh it is surprising no other manager won their first game since him in the 90s though. Im only 25 so if it is 26 years this is the first time in my life our manager has won his first game.

To put it into better perspective I’ve worked out the list.

McLaren
    Southgate
    Strachan
    Mowbray
    Cooper
    Karanka
    Agnew
    Monk
    Pulis
    Woodgate

I also think there are a couple more randoms to put in there who did caretaker.

Couple that with our inability to win the first game of the season we are an absolute embarrassment, the club that can never get going or get a reaction
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    Preston/Derby in the week looks tasty all of a sudden. Hard to care about our games now, unless we lose the next 2 or 3 on the bounce as well and it looks like we're going to drop out of the Play-Offs. Which isn't inconceivable with Mitrovic 99% likely to be out come to think of it.
  • AaronMFC

McLaren
    Southgate
    Strachan
    Mowbray
    Cooper
    Karanka
    Agnew
    Monk
    Pulis
    Woodgate

Couple that with our inability to win the first game of the season we are an absolute embarrassment, the club that can never get going or get a reaction

Only one game but i know at this level warnock knows what hes doing i would like him to be in charge next season. Thursday is absolutely massive for us i dont feel that worried about the game though which without todays result i definitely would.
  • They Caged Non

McLaren
    Southgate
    Strachan
    Mowbray
    Cooper
    Karanka
    Agnew
    Monk
    Pulis
    Woodgate

Only one game but i know at this level warnock knows what hes doing i would like him to be in charge next season. Thursday is absolutely massive for us i dont feel that worried about the game though which without todays result i definitely would.

Yeah I’m not carried away with it just yet but it sounds like he is already getting a tune out of them, telling Gestede to ❤️❤️❤️❤️ off too is absolute class haha, his post match interview had me in stitches.

Howsons ball for that goal was outrageous too
  • AaronMFC

McLaren
    Southgate
    Strachan
    Mowbray
    Cooper
    Karanka
    Agnew
    Monk
    Pulis
    Woodgate

Yeah I’m not carried away with it just yet but it sounds like he is already getting a tune out of them, telling Gestede to ❤️❤️❤️❤️ off too is absolute class haha, his post match interview had me in stitches.

Reminded me off a pass thiago played top drawer iv liked howson at cb and rb more than cm most his time here but straight away today back in his position he does that.
  • They Caged Non

McLaren
    Southgate
    Strachan
    Mowbray
    Cooper
    Karanka
    Agnew
    Monk
    Pulis
    Woodgate

Reminded me off a pass thiago played top drawer iv liked howson at cb and rb more than cm most his time here but straight away today back in his position he does that.

Wonder if the club can afford to keep him. I doubt it tbh but would be a dream if we could
  • ryan217
    2965 posts Fans' Favourite

Shame Bamford wasn't on the pitch to defend it
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    ryan217 wrote: »

Shame Bamford wasn't on the pitch to defend it

I know he scored, but it is funny that as soon as he got taken off they started battering us.
  • BristolMDF
    1718 posts Play-Off Hero
    Honestly this season has been so ❤️❤️❤️❤️ that I don’t think I’d care at all if we lost today. It would end any chance of top six and I’d be absolutely fine with that.

We won’t make, and don’t deserve the top six and even if we did by some miracle we’d be comprehensively beaten by anyone over two legs.
  • BristolMDF
    1718 posts Play-Off Hero
    Well, 7 changes and 3 strikers on the pitch. Think he knows it’s ❤️❤️❤️❤️ or bust today.
  • Lard_Lad
    12757 posts Has That Special Something
    Today is a huge game, still don’t think O’Connell will be fit and that’s a big miss, but we’ve been shocking since the restart, win this and there’s still something to play for. The break really did come at the wrong time for us.
  • AaronMFC

McLaren
    Southgate
    Strachan
    Mowbray
    Cooper
    Karanka
    Agnew
    Monk
    Pulis
    Woodgate

Wonder if the club can afford to keep him. I doubt it tbh but would be a dream if we could

Good timing reports are saying he has signed a one year extension
  • Lard_Lad
    12757 posts Has That Special Something
    No O’Connell again, not many clubs were your left Centre back is so important to the way you play and your attack, we really miss him.
  • BristolMDF
    1718 posts Play-Off Hero
    Get this absolute fraud out of my club.
  • They Caged Non

McLaren
    Southgate
    Strachan
    Mowbray
    Cooper
    Karanka
    Agnew
    Monk
    Pulis
    Woodgate

Good timing reports are saying he has signed a one year extension

Confirmed on insta, what a beautiful day haha
  • They Caged Non
    Lard_Lad wrote: »
    No O’Connell again, not many clubs were your left Centre back is so important to the way you play and your attack, we really miss him.

It’s beginning to look like this break hasn’t been good for United :#
  • mott1993
    961 posts Semi-Pro
    BristolMDF wrote: »

Johnson or O'Dowda?

Or both?
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    Well we're 5th now. Isn't that fun.
  • Dizzy Bala
    edited June 2020
    Juninho Bacuna (Huddersfield Town) is shown the red card for violent conduct.

• Dizzy Bala
    I mean it is a sunday after all.. no idea what he was thinking lmao.

22dd91dd6c8a98ae7c32a4abca3f3a86.gif
  • BristolMDF
    1718 posts Play-Off Hero
    mott1993 wrote: »
    BristolMDF wrote: »

Johnson or O'Dowda?

Or both?

Didn’t think he was too bad today tbh, and I would give every single player a free pass until I’ve seen them under a non delusional coach.

Afobe on the left wing FFS. Absolute fraud.
  • BristolMDF
    1718 posts Play-Off Hero
    Looool they’ve actually started disabling comments now because they know it’s going to unpleasant reading.

8-F815-D68-AA99-4-C8-A-B9-C6-F2-C90675-C21-C.png
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    I do feel sorry for the Social Media admins sometimes. When they have to post stuff knowing it's just going to get a load of toxic replies. Saw we posted an interview with Parker on our Twitter after the game yesterday, so I'm sure that went down well.
  • Dizzy Bala
    When it comes to Fulham @wheelerdeeler , was the expectation to go back up automatically? I look at your team and on paper, absolutely would be a team capable of being automatically promoted but you've got West Brom who I'd say are equally as good on paper and Leeds have been after promotion for a number of years now. They always have a good team.

So then it's kind of fine margins, because if you were to finish say 6th and go up in the Playoffs, you're still promoted. You've still achieved the end result. I'm not sure I can understand the Parker abuse, but then i'm not a Fulham fan so I don't really know all that much about your club. If you could explain it, I'd be interested to find out.

Now, you contrast that with Bristol City. I can see why their fans are really getting miffed, they've been in and around the playoffs for a big chunk of the season and when it counts they're falling away. Going by your last three finishes, you were on an upward climb. If you finish 8th last year and have been in the mix for 30+ game weeks then there is a certain amount of expectation to be at least in the conversation.

I don't know if @mott1993 and @BristolMDF will agree but I think the game on wednesday is a lot bigger for you than for us. If you lose, I think your season is probably done. Derby and Cardiff are gaining momentum that final run momentum now, so it's not just gaining the ground on 6th but getting ahead of them and Preston too.

If you win though, I think it has the potential to lift the fog. Beat a playoff rival, six games left, potentially two wins off the playoffs, you're back in with a shot. I'll be honest, as a Forest fan, that's a fixture I'd worry about. You've got Wells and Afobe who are just as potent on their day as Grabban, but also Diedhiou too who is a player that I feel like defensively we'd struggle against, probably more so than the other two.

For us, winning today was a little bit of a weight off. Got the confidence back, we'd not won for a few games. Sheff Wed had us over a barrel last weekend.

I don't think there will be any tougher run-ins than ours.
    • Bristol City - Need a win to get back into the mix, lose and they're done.
    • Derby - Need to win, haven't beaten us for quite a while, the local bragging rights and I think if they lose, they're done as well.
    • Fulham - Ironically, this is the game I worry about the least. We work best on the counter under Sabri and Fulham will want the ball. They have the players to kill us, but I think we're a match.
    • Preston - This one might be the worst, depending on how the previous 3 go. Preston are a horrible team to play against and I feel like if the pressure is really on us at this point, we'll buckle.

The other two games are Barnsley and Stoke. Barnsley will probably be relegated by that point and Stoke might be safe.