Icon swaps - retrospectively, were they worth the grind?

Comments

• SyedWA
    553 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Zero value for me. Last year sbcs were far better.
  • Ledesale
    447 posts Sunday League Hero
    Swap 1: Butra still in my team and one of my favorite players this year.

Swap 2: Zambrotta, no longer in my team and van der sar, still in my team for Chem reasons.

Swap 3: Pettit, still in my team but looking to replace now
  • Zambo9
    5798 posts Big Money Move
    SyedWA wrote: »
    Zero value for me. Last year sbcs were far better.

No **** Sherlock
  • czesiek
    536 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Base Rio 1082 games
    Base Blanc 728 games
    Mid VDS 954 games
    Prime Henry (prime pack) 490 games

None of them is in my current team, they are not amazing in current state of the game, but they were solid for months
  • Hades
    81 posts Park Captain
    Pirlo - yes
    Essien - yes
    Puyol - ❤️❤️❤️❤️ yes!
  • GTaylor
    813 posts Semi-Pro
    Roberto Carlos has played over 1200 games for me and only in the last few weeks been replaced.

VDS is still number 1 some 700 games later.

Got Pirlo from the Prime Icon SBC and he is in most my teams.

Raul was decent at the time but has since been submitted into an SBC, same games for Litmanen.

Gattuso is still in the squad and features off the bench.

3.5 hits
    2 misses

Worth doing.
  • Wurrsmycash
    766 posts Semi-Pro
    Nesta seedorf and Trezeguet Yes

Gattuso, Van Der Sarr no
  • NotEnoughSkill
    238 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Not worth it...Icon sbc's were better option.
  • Zalisis
    564 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Like others said, Zanetti was a perfect choice. Still my first choice RB, one less position to worry about all year

Essien also still plays first choice for my second team.

Overmars and Prime Icon pack (Zambrotta) though? Nah, waste of time.

• Neil_14
    808 posts Semi-Pro
    edited June 16
    I enjoyed Rio for over 500 games and I enjoy Kaka from time to time purely for nostalgia

Edit: no icons make my starter squads however
  • spy
    1270 posts Professional
    I’m still using Essien from swaps 2 and Maldini from swaps 3. I got Keane and Nesta from swaps 1 and rarely use them. Also did the pack from swaps 3 and got Zola who i never use. Overall I would say it was worth it but if I did swaps 3 again I would take one card using all the tokens rather than split between two. Although I don’t use the players from swaps 1 I did use them for over 200 games each.
  • Mrcosmo
    396 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Took maradona shame
  • Skywalker XVII
    354 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited June 16
    Rio and Zambrotta have been very useful.

Packed prime Matthaus in the pack who I still use.

Litmanen and Laudrup I use for nordic teams with fun players.

Only swap I dont have any use for is Okocha, but got all the swaps done so was no extra grind to get him.

So I really feel like I made the most of the icon swaps.

Edit: forgot Raul. Only used him for a short period but he was decent.
  • aladdin
    1739 posts Play-Off Hero
    was worth it for me personally. carlos is still my left back and getting prime kaka was exciting as i loved watching him irl
  • BigPapiFifa89
    504 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Baby blanc was well worth it 👌🏻
  • Stone_cold_tea93
    3501 posts National Call-Up
    Carlos has been useful for me however, I'd much rather have been able to do his PIM SBC with all the fodder I've had over TOTS.
  • Diem
    296 posts Sunday League Hero
    Took Rio (>600 games) and Schmeichel (useful chem for objectives); Essien and Dalglish.

Rio and Essien are my fitness rotation to swap in for my first choice players, and Dalglish is my main starting ST.

Well worth the grind.
  • Wonderfulwest
    5134 posts Big Money Move
    OZero wrote: »
    At the time were good, just feel the power curve left many behind. Just like the season objective players by the time you get them they’re already been suppassed by better cards.

That’s why you should always go for the highest rating ones because they can last longer.

I did and for the last 2 months say none have got anywhere near starting in my team. The players just weren’t good enough. Unless your a casual then it’s great, but the SBCs were better I’d usally have Gulliet R9 or Pele on top of my current squad instead I’ve got pages of high rated fodder with nothing to use them on
  • GoonerDude81
    914 posts Professional
    I’ve got Overmars and Litmanen fron the swaps and Overmars is in my main team. Litmanen would be too, but I needed at least one food player for my fitness team.
  • JayyThunder
    5058 posts Big Money Move
    Swaps 1 - Okocha (sure yeah, it took me zero effort)
    Swaps 2 - Essien (10000% yes) - I don't use him now, but I still could if I wanted to. The effort required to get him however was awful. But...I love Essien, he has like 300+ games for me.
    Swaps 3 - Overmars - ehhh. I never use him. But I didn't have to do TOO much to get him. Good fodder if worse comes to worse.
  • Kove
    4393 posts National Call-Up
    Zanetti- yes, still in my team
    Koeman - yes but not anymore
    Bergkamp- 100% yes
    Gatusso - fodder, no

Compared to last year where I had Eusebio and Vieira... the value isn't as good but it is still there
  • Bargy611
    143 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I got nesta, r Carlos, zambrotta, petit and figo from the grind.

Carlos, petit and figo still start
  • nicela
    241 posts Sunday League Hero
    the only good swaps was the first 1. rio is still endgame. i have used toty vvd, moments ramos, rttf militao, tots varane and many others and apart from ramos, no one is better than him. however, essien was good but they nerfed him and batch3 was so ❤️❤️❤️❤️ i couldn't care less about them so i took the icon pack. it says a lot when the only good player was in batch1 and it was 85 ferdinand, a cb. at least i won't buy fifa 21 cuz they destroyed the menus this year so i don't enjoy any aspect of the game. greedy ❤️❤️❤️❤️, they're so lucky that 95% of the community are still neanderthals that buy the game despite hating it just cuz they don't have anything to do with their lives instead of playing gold3 level fifa. sadly, corona came and even the 5% of normal people had to do something to pass time when staying indoors.
  • Unparalleled
    588 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited June 16
    Base Rio is still my CB

he partners tots VVD. Can't find a better replacement.
  • LoPo9
    1226 posts Professional
    Zanetti - huge success

Seedorf and Koeman - average. Should have gone Ronaldinho just to have him.

Maldini and Prime Pack - pack was a very poor decision

The strategy is go get the solid defenders or holding mids. Those guys have staying power.
  • SweetJesus101
    3252 posts National Call-Up
    edited June 17
    still use both nesta and ballack.. essien at times from 2 and swap 3 , just trezeguet... litmanen is ugh

Post edited by SweetJesus101 on
  • Chavez76
    6113 posts Big Money Move
    nicela wrote: »
    the only good swaps was the first 1. rio is still endgame. i have used toty vvd, moments ramos, rttf militao, tots varane and many others and apart from ramos, no one is better than him. however, essien was good but they nerfed him and batch3 was so ❤️❤️❤️❤️ i couldn't care less about them so i took the icon pack. it says a lot when the only good player was in batch1 and it was 85 ferdinand, a cb. at least i won't buy fifa 21 cuz they destroyed the menus this year so i don't enjoy any aspect of the game. greedy ❤️❤️❤️❤️, they're so lucky that 95% of the community are still neanderthals that buy the game despite hating it just cuz they don't have anything to do with their lives instead of playing gold3 level fifa. sadly, corona came and even the 5% of normal people had to do something to pass time when staying indoors.

paragraphs. Use them.

I kinda like that you are just stating that 95% of the people that read your comment are 'neanderthals', and you are in the 5% 'normal' people.

GG.
  • BW1991
    154 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    When I compare my team now with the same stage last year, I'd have to say absolutely not. Not one player that they have given via swaps is truly end game
  • OZero
    6879 posts Big Money Move
    OZero wrote: »
    At the time were good, just feel the power curve left many behind. Just like the season objective players by the time you get them they’re already been suppassed by better cards.

That’s why you should always go for the highest rating ones because they can last longer.

I did and for the last 2 months say none have got anywhere near starting in my team. The players just weren’t good enough. Unless your a casual then it’s great, but the SBCs were better I’d usally have Gulliet R9 or Pele on top of my current squad instead I’ve got pages of high rated fodder with nothing to use them on

I won’t consider Icon SBC in evaluating because they aren’t substitutes. We can have both. Swaps merely are just an extra option for grinding an icon. It shouldn’t be the only option.

And as I have said, PIM Capita is a huge miss. He can get into any team as RB or CB. I guarantee this.
  • Wooly1203
    3090 posts National Call-Up
    Did Carlos, Hierro, VDS, Guardiola, puyol and prime pack(rush).

I’d say it was worth it based on the use I got out of them. All of them played a fair number of games except for puyol, who was purely picked for fodder. Still have Carlos and VDS. The rest have now been thrown into SBCs