How do you defend...

TW1103
3080 posts National Call-Up
Against the drag back and LT/L2 shielders? I can never tackle them, and I always concede goals to them. They just spin round and round, then pop it in the net

Comments

• Claret_n_blue_blood
    17077 posts World Class
    99% of ppl let the ai defend
  • SomeNextGuy
    4785 posts Big Money Move
    edited June 14

No idea how people do this. Considering everyone says that AI defending is so overpowered, my defenders are clowns at times. I don't even know what button people are pressing to let the AI defend for them.
  • TW1103
    3080 posts National Call-Up

No idea how people do this. Considering everyone says that AI defending is so overpowered, my defenders are clowns at times. I don't even know what button people are pressing to let the AI defend for them.

Same, I have tried letting them just do it, but mine may as well just be jellybabies
  • Wurrsmycash
    766 posts Semi-Pro
    edited June 14
    You buy NIF VVD and Ake and let them at it
  • MrMTFC
    843 posts Semi-Pro
    Only thing you can do really is defend with l2 or Xbox equivalent then time a close range slide tackle just right. I use 91 vvd and he's like a brick sh(i)thouse so often wins if I time it right, except against mbappe or yedder but they're the most op. Standing tackle doesn't do anything against them shielding or spamming drag backs
  • NathanBFC94
    600 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Very very badly ☹️
  • Brustring1893
    1376 posts Professional
    Dragbacks: Jockeying and waiting for them to make a move. Mainly predicting the drag back and moving my defender in there.

Shielding: Absolutely broken mechanics, almost impossible to win the ball. If you tackle it’s mostly a foul. I’d play it calm and wait for him to trigger runs (that’s what shielding is mostly used for) and then cut the passing lane
  • Covkilla91mob
    2024 posts Fans' Favourite
    Don't rush in and cover space that is most vulnerable
  • Bakudu76
    2881 posts Fans' Favourite
    I dont. I just try to outscore my opponent
  • joehuk
    4427 posts National Call-Up

Run back with your striker or cam and see for yourself.

The cdms or CB will intercept, block pretty much anything.

Natural instincts for me tho is to select my cdm or CB causing me to miss every intercept due to assisted passing
  • Layton8212
    1734 posts Play-Off Hero
    Switch between cdms
    Jockey
    Dont dive in
    1 depth
    Fast build up
    Spam ball down the wing
    Cut back
    Shoot
    Score
    Shush
    Pause
  • TuckedShirt
    180 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Layton8212 wrote: »
    Switch between cdms
    Jockey
    Dont dive in
    1 depth
    Fast build up
    Spam ball down the wing
    Cut back
    Shoot
    Score
    Shush
    Pause

Hilarious 😂
  • Kobayashi
    452 posts Sunday League Hero
    Layton8212 wrote: »
    Switch between cdms
    Jockey
    Dont dive in
    1 depth
    Fast build up
    Spam ball down the wing
    Cut back
    Shoot
    Score
    Shush
    Pause

You forgot Team press when you don't have the ball, switch full backs to CB in another copy of the same formation. Watch every replay, pick the longest celebration, pretend you are a youtuber and say words to yourself like 'META' 'overpowered', also have your GK set to take all corners then switch it in game, do the home games only match making glitch.....blah blah blah
  • MDR123456
    195 posts Has Potential To Be Special

That’s because it’s not true. I’m not sure what level this guys plays at, but In 20 you can’t just let the AI defend against most players still playing this late in the year. It’s absolutely impossible.
  • Damo_Suzuki
    2299 posts Fans' Favourite
    Hold L2 and don't actually try and tackle. Just watch them go back and forth until an opportunity presents itself. It's sooooo boring not actually being able to press tackle and having to do this as a means of 'defending'.

Also in delay there is nothing you can do anyway, you just have to take the pain and frustration.
  • sparky123
    399 posts Sunday League Hero
    Played a guy earlier who turned on team press and never controlled his defenders but they auto tackled and intercepted every pass I played forwards. He just ran around with Modric/Allan in the midfield. Yet my defenders just stood there watching players run past. Doesn’t help that player switching with the right stick is so broken so when you can see what’s about to happen and you try to switch, it’s goes the complete wrong player 🤦‍♂️
  • Jordi93
    531 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Attack. Defending is dead.