Does TV monitor affect gameplay?

AznSW
1784 posts Fans' Favourite
edited June 14
Update:

Found out that there is a “game mode” setting for the tv. I switched it from “Eco mode” and that decreased the input lag tremendously, managed to reach gold 1 with 2 games remaining. Happy days!

_________

Usually I play at home on my 42” 4K TV from 2019.

Staying over at my gf for the weekend and brought my PS4 with me to play weekend league when she’s busy.

Her internet speed is over 10 times faster than mine and ping is 2ms on the loading screen, lowest I’ve ever seen. But her tv is quite old. 58” Smart tv from 2013.

Gameplay was horrible, like unusually horrible. My players turned slower than a truck in sand. I tried 3 games against really bad opponents and lost all matches. ( Having a god team meant shushes and no replay skipping on every goal of course ).

So I tried playing a game offline and it was the same. Extremely slow gameplay.

Could it be that my gameplay is affected by her old TV? Cause that’s the only thing I can think of..
Post edited by AznSW on

Comments

• v4vendetta1978
    3218 posts National Call-Up
    edited June 13
    Nah iv got a 4K gaming monitor 1 ms and the game is still trash
  • Fifapayne
    2441 posts Fans' Favourite
    Yes there is always input delay on a giant tv
    Get a gaming monitor.
  • SomeNextGuy
    4785 posts Big Money Move
    Size does matter, I usually find that the bigger it is the worse I perform. Smaller ones usually just feel better to me, but it's all personal preference, some people like them huge.
  • Retro1989
    5257 posts Big Money Move
    Since it's a old TV it probably has a high amount of input lag which can cause gameplay to feel slow.
  • TDOF
    3013 posts National Call-Up
    edited June 13
    well...

the smaller the tv/monitor the better the reaction speed because obviously it takes less time for colours to display on a smaller display

monitor with 1ms delay and 144hz is what you want to aim for

27-40 inch imo
  • Triplee123
    556 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I think a smaller minister is better , hence why you see all the pros using 17-21inch pc monitors
  • TDOF
    3013 posts National Call-Up
    Triplee123 wrote: »
    I think a smaller minister is better , hence why you see all the pros using 17-21inch pc monitors

who the hell uses 17 inch???? lmfao

mate no one uses monitors that small

most are 24-27 inch
  • AznSW
    Alright thanks for the replies.

Looks like I’ll be giving away free wins this weekend :joy:
  • CarpeDiem
    2481 posts Fans' Favourite
    Try see if the TV has a game mode, could reduce the delay a little.
  • I'm hitting elite on a 32 inch 10 year old LCD tv . I often wonder if the game would feel nicer on a tv with lower input lag, so I'll get one when I can find one for a decent price
  • Skywalker XVII
    354 posts Sunday League Hero
    I play on 65" TV and when gameplay is good I dont have any problem at all, really smooth and no delay.

Most of the time it's really bad but since it can be very good I highly doubt its my TV thats the problem.
  • ILevis
    1301 posts Professional
    Most big TVs have ~100ms input lag if not in game mode, so thats probably why it feels so sluggish
  • CFCHenri
    3778 posts National Call-Up
    edited June 13
    There might be a PC processing mode or game mode in the settings to reduce input lag, it will help a little not drastically. I have an old LG43LF5400 5 or 6 years old set in the living/sitting room and I can tell it’s not a monitor issue because I’ve played with that since FIFA 16 before getting a different TV in my room. Yes, monitors help a lot but that differs from connection. If you’re playing and the game is heavy, players sliding and slowing down then it’s of course EA’s end. I will definitely try Offline kick-off No FUT and see if it’s better (you probably did that anyway) If it still is horrible then yeah the community will enjoy the free wins you’re giving
  • Giggs11
    540 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I bought a 75 inch tv on Black Friday last year and instantly dropped from a gold 1/elite 3 player down to gold 2 at a push :s still don’t regret my decision though haha
  • ASX
    3047 posts National Call-Up
    I got a 65" LG C9, probably the best gaming TV on the market (0.4ms response time, 13ms input lag with gaming mode)...the TV matters imo, the LG feels a LOT better than the 42" TV I have spare and the 55" Samsung I used to have (no gaming mode).
  • joehuk
    4291 posts National Call-Up
    TDOF wrote: »
    well...

the smaller the tv/monitor the better the reaction speed because obviously it takes less time for colours to display on a smaller display

monitor with 1ms delay and 144hz is what you want to aim for

27-40 inch imo

144hz is pointless for current consoles even new consoles won't pull 144fps.

Since games can't reach 144fps.

Even 120hz on Xbox is pointless since games don't reach 120fps. Jeez FIFA pulls 30Fps on the menus :joy:

Anyway it's more about response time generally TVs have poor response time.

As for your issue a big TV won't make players turn slow,sluggish lol if anything you're suffering the curse of really good internet.

Main thing you'll notice with an old TV is awful ghosting.
  • RadioShaq
    16075 posts Moderator
    You usually have to look up the display lag on tvs and monitors as they won’t advertise it. They usually advertise response time which is something different.
  • Purplejacket
    3615 posts National Call-Up
    i play on a 55,.it is one of the fastest refresh rate tho, and gotten 26 wins twice soo
  • AznSW
    Update:

Found out that there is a “game mode” setting for the tv. I switched it from “Eco mode” and that decreased the input lag tremendously, managed to reach gold 1 with 2 games remaining. Happy days!