Anyone else regularly miss silver 1 and above?

GoalGiant
1804 posts Play-Off Hero
At my wits ends, being a below average player in such a toxic community really takes a toll on your mental health.

For reference I’m a Div 8 player, I have a crazy stacked team but I’m just awful for some reason.

Wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

Comments

• GoalGiant
    1804 posts Play-Off Hero
    Lol guess I’m the worst player here then :(
  • malso
    77 posts Park Captain
    I'm in div 8 but I do get silver 1or gold 3 most weeks.
    U will find that u r not as bad as u think. As in rivals u probably aren't actually playing other div 8 players most of the time due to all the self relegation.
    I also have what I think is a very good team but can be taken apart by someone with a normal gold team sometimes as it is obviously the player is from a higher div.
    Do u space ur games out in WL or do u try and play them all at once?
  • GoalGiant
    1804 posts Play-Off Hero
    Hi mate,

Yeah, tbh that’s probably why I’m struggling to climb the divisions, you get an easy run and then get smacked up by someone who’s visiting from Div 5.

I play when I’m in a good mindset. I originally went 6 in 9 which was incredible for me. Only to then lose about 17 in a row before getting 2 more wins. I got those 9 first games in on Friday. Had a short losing run Saturday, so stopped playing. Then proceeded to finish the last 10 games or so today.
  • NucksNation
    2214 posts Fans' Favourite
    GoalGiant wrote: »
    At my wits ends, being a below average player in such a toxic community really takes a toll on your mental health.

For reference I’m a Div 8 player, I have a crazy stacked team but I’m just awful for some reason.

I wouldn’t worry about it.
    I started not too long ago, first WL I hit silver 1 then 10wins S2 and now back to S1 with 4 games remaining.. I don’t know if I can bother with it to G3.. rivals D6/7.. I smash people 5-0 then get smashed 0-5
  • GoalGiant
    1804 posts Play-Off Hero

I started not too long ago, first WL I hit silver 1 then 10wins S2 and now back to S1 with 4 games remaining.. I don’t know if I can bother with it to G3.. rivals D6/7.. I smash people 5-0 then get smashed 0-5

I just can’t get my head around it.

Sometimes I question if it’s me or the game. Too much at stake for some virtual ‘rewards’ so I’m gonna play offline and try to preserve my sanity.
  • mhh1981
    3525 posts National Call-Up
    Definitely worth mixing up your formations and ct. pretty much every game you play in WL is against 4231 so have to find a formation to counter that. I used 41212-2 and play possession football so it limits how often I’m caught on the counter. 442 is prob best for neutralising 4231
  • SomeNextGuy
    4785 posts Big Money Move
    People are good at different things, and can't take to other types of things.

I'm terrible at tennis, can't play it.
  • Burchy
    1186 posts Professional

I’ve only been playing the weekend league since the rewards are TOTSSF players. Just play casually otherwise.

The weekend league isn’t enjoyable at all. It’s very competitive and people do all they can to get the win. I honestly don’t know why I bother with it. Perhaps the lure of a decent red pick keeps me going
  • GoalGiant
    1804 posts Play-Off Hero
    mhh1981 wrote: »
    Definitely worth mixing up your formations and ct. pretty much every game you play in WL is against 4231 so have to find a formation to counter that. I used 41212-2 and play possession football so it limits how often I’m caught on the counter. 442 is prob best for neutralising 4231

Lost my first game so changed it 4-2-3-1 and went on to win 6 from 8 which was over half my weekends wins. Then it just lost its magic and all the other formations I tried were equally poor.

Thanks for your advice though mate, if I ever consider playing online again I will try.
  • malso
    77 posts Park Captain
    Hi mate,

Yeah, tbh that’s probably why I’m struggling to climb the divisions, you get an easy run and then get smacked up by someone who’s visiting from Div 5.

I play when I’m in a good mindset. I originally went 6 in 9 which was incredible for me. Only to then lose about 17 in a row before getting 2 more wins. I got those 9 first games in on Friday. Had a short losing run Saturday, so stopped playing. Then proceeded to finish the last 10 games or so today.

I tend to play 5 or 6 games on Friday night then tend to avoid Saturdays and play the majority of my games on Sunday. But that is mainly due to my work and family commitments.
    But I have found Saturdays the toughest day to try and get wins. But that is probably just me.
  • GoalGiant
    1804 posts Play-Off Hero
    People are good at different things, and can't take to other types of things.

I'm terrible at tennis, can't play it.

I suppose you’re right, think it’s the competitive nature and toxicity which it makes it hard to step away.

Found I enjoyed my weekend more after I knew silver 1 was out of reach as it wasn’t stressing me out.
  • Ftl
    750 posts Semi-Pro
    Div 5 player but bottle mostly al my gold 2 finishes ffs hahaha
  • GoalGiant
    1804 posts Play-Off Hero
    Burchy wrote: »

I’ve only been playing the weekend league since the rewards are TOTSSF players. Just play casually otherwise.

The weekend league isn’t enjoyable at all. It’s very competitive and people do all they can to get the win. I honestly don’t know why I bother with it. Perhaps the lure of a decent red pick keeps me going

Yeah, I’m gonna play offline from now, poor rewards, but somethings in life are more important.

The rewards are addicting aren’t they! That’s what makes it stressful!
  • Gromit
    4831 posts National Call-Up
    I'm S1 G3 and flit between Div 6 and 8 depending on how many objectives there are to do.

The best advice to improve is to try and play slower, try to use sprint less. You have more control and you'll find it can be easier to turn and out dribble your opponent. Sprinting is still important but used at the wrong time and you'll likely give possession away cheaply.

Its hard to keep it up sometimes as trying to sprint all game feels quite natural. But it really does help.
  • Wooly1203
    3127 posts National Call-Up
    I’m in division 6 now. I hover between 5-7 for divisions depending on objectives. I generally hit 11 wins without a problem and 14 wins when I push to finish the majority of my games. I don’t have time to finish all of my games most weekend tbh. Some weekends can be more difficult than others, just keep practicing and you’ll improve. I wouldn’t take it too seriously
  • YidArmy
    488 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Burchy wrote: »

Yeah, I’m gonna play offline from now, poor rewards, but somethings in life are more important.

The rewards are addicting aren’t they! That’s what makes it stressful!

Yep its all in our heads. People go on about 'this weekend is the sweatiest ive ever seen' or 'all the try hards out this weekend.'

Its only like that because you put greater importance on the result. There's potential for an amazing red pick, stacked packs, this is FUT Champs.. the top Fifa players in the world are competing....

The reality is the wanting to win is so much greater because of the potential rewards / its the most elite Fifa competition for casuals.

I'm normally an Online Seasons player so there's very little at stake other than trying the win the title each 10 games. The style of play, the cheap tactics, the dragbacks, EVERYTHING is exactly the same.

The difference here is that you have invested great time and energy in building a team and there's actually something riding on each game with a prize at the end. All the stress is in our minds.
  • Seeleyjs17
    130 posts Has Potential To Be Special

I'm a silver 1/gold 3 player never been higher and in division 7. For some reason I loose alot of games in the last 10 mins of in game time or in penalties. I find that I end up pulling my defenders out of position alot for some reason it gives me a player that I don't want when I switch and screws me up. They need to add a thing where you can select the player you want
  • Blackbird10
    1276 posts Professional
    Silver 1 is basically par for me. I’m in division 5. I find the ELO screws me. I’ll be 7-3 in my opening games and then end up 11-18.
  • rikstar
    265 posts Sunday League Hero
    I am currently sitting in div 6 and up until now have only played in 3 WLs and each time only got to silver 1. Game is too unrewarding to put myself through WL torture so i am only going to concentrate on div rivals and squad battles for objectives, which i seem to enjoy trying to complete every single one that gets released.
  • Double_D
    529 posts An Exciting Prospect

This is pretty much me exactly. Been trying for gold 3 the last couple of weeks but miss it by a game or 2. Missed it by 2 today with 5 games remaining after I hit S1.
  • ArsleWenger
    418 posts Sunday League Hero
    My advice has always been, stick to a team your confortable with (early on) and do small changes whenever you get an opportunity (if needed). Try different tacticts early and stick to the one you like for the rest of the game. I was an average player 2-3 years ago, silver 1 max. Thats the time I was buying whole new teams every weekend to try out. Now I always end up elite 3/gold 1 in wl. AND as long as you enjoy the game (while ”only” hitting silver 2/1) there is no problem at all! After al its just a game and we should be able to have some FUN!
    All love!
  • One thing which will drastically improve an average player is to improve your defending
  • ArsleWenger
    418 posts Sunday League Hero
    One thing which will drastically improve an average player is to improve your defending

This^
    And always use L2 while covering space and to slow down your opponent
  • JWNYsg
    2780 posts Fans' Favourite
    when i first started yes, some S2 and mostly S1. Only been getting G3 after February. Most wins is 16, havent got elusive G2 yet
  • imi
    27 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Mate you’re not alone. Bought the game at Xmas and took me ages to qualify for WL. Always sit in Div 8 or 9 depending on how tough the objectives are. Me and the 2 kids split the WL games between us so play 10 each. Been S1 for several weeks but managed G3 last night for the first time ever. Tactics is always 4231 but have been watching a lot of YouTube videos about defending and think I’ve improved in that department. In most games you will always create chances to score but defending always let me down because I was pulling defenders out of position and spamming the tackle button so left myself open to the 1-2s. L2 jockeying makes a huge difference.
  • Rizzywizzy6786
    307 posts Sunday League Hero
    One thing which will drastically improve an average player is to improve your defending

The best way to defend is to let CPU do it for you, basically never use the tackle button and leave L2 pressed until you get the ball, amazing skill. Great job EA
  • JPRM71
    3353 posts National Call-Up

Rivals and WL gameplay are totally different I find.

Best way to do WL is in small sessions, 3 games a session, W or L. Spread it out and take nice breaks, stay chill as best you can, best of luck.