The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• Alastair
    10217 posts Moderator
    edited May 22

4 years ago today. 75 seconds into the final match of our debut season and we’re 1-0 up at Wembley. That’s second only to Trippier’s free kick for me in terms of my greatest moments in Sport.

Still never watched the highlights of that match. Might give it another watch this weekend.
    Post edited by Alastair on
  • They Caged Non
    6258 posts Big Money Move
    Watching Hertha Berlin tonight.. a team that doesn’t have much money, they seem to do ok finding massive talent who we haven’t heard of.. makes you wonder where our recruitment (and many other clubs in the champ) get it so wrong.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7367 posts Big Money Move
    To be fair, Hertha have just got new owners and spent some stupid amounts on pretty average players so they're probably not the best example for how to run a club. Especially after the Klinsmann fiasco.
  • They Caged Non
    To be fair, Hertha have just got new owners and spent some stupid amounts on pretty average players so they're probably not the best example for how to run a club. Especially after the Klinsmann fiasco.

There was nothing average about their forward line last night, scored some excellent goals and had players who can play ball.
  • AaronMFC
    1876 posts Play-Off Hero
    It has surprised me a bit Hertha Berlin havent had a massive takeover would be interesting to have a team compete with Bayern and a big city like Berlin should really have a team who compete strongly in Europe.
  • AaronMFC
    1876 posts Play-Off Hero
    Just thought they have a rule there that stops that happening and Leipzig in bending the rules are the most hated club in Germany.
  • iHilarious
    13294 posts Has That Special Something
    james2060 wrote: »

Anyone seen other clubs doing these? We're not getting promoted this year, but you can wear a club themed mask instead. Sound.

Ours have been out for a while - no way of actually buying them though. We’ve also done a special shirt

• wheelerdeeler

There was nothing average about their forward line last night, scored some excellent goals and had players who can play ball.

They spent about 20m each on Cunha and Lukebakio and then another 25m on Piatek who's basically the new Michu and can't even start for them already. Actually thinking about it, they might actually have the most expensive forward line in the Bundesliga in-terms of how much they've spent on it.
  • mott1993
    932 posts Semi-Pro

They spent about 20m each on Cunha and Lukebakio and then another 25m on Piatek who's basically the new Michu and can't even start for them already. Actually thinking about it, they might actually have the most expensive forward line in the Bundesliga in-terms of how much they've spent on it.

Read somewhere that Piatek is the future and will be their main striker eventually but because they struggled with Klinsmann in charge they put Ibisevic back up front for 'experience'
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited May 23
    mott1993 wrote: »

Read somewhere that Piatek is the future and will be their main striker eventually but because they struggled with Klinsmann in charge they put Ibisevic back up front for 'experience'

Not having that. Will happily have someone come back to me when he's won the Balon d'Or but Piatek is a one season wonder. And even then it was about two-thirds of a season at best. And he's somehow managed to blag two big money moves off the back of it.

If he was 29 and not 24 he'd be moving to a Mid-Table Turkish team with questionable financial support for ~2m Euros.
  • BristolMDF
    1258 posts Professional
    Hull can ❤️❤️❤️❤️ off back to the conference where they belong
  • james2060
    2958 posts Fans' Favourite
    Considering these tests are sourced to a third party, it's weird how the positive tests tend the fall with the clubs publicly calling for the season to be cancelled.
  • BristolMDF
    1258 posts Professional
    james2060 wrote: »
    Considering these tests are sourced to a third party, it's weird how the positive tests tend the fall with the clubs publicly calling for the season to be cancelled.

Yes it would appear to be a nasty mutated strain that preys upon the threat of relegation.

Scabby ❤️❤️❤️❤️.
  • BristolMDF
    1258 posts Professional
    FFS thought the season had started again

51-C5-C70-F-E98-F-45-C3-93-F9-D16383-E8-B765.jpg
  • wheelerdeeler
    Charge your phone.
  • BristolMDF
    1258 posts Professional
    Charge your phone.

It’s nearly bedtime, it’s a perfect system
  • They Caged Non

Not having that. Will happily have someone come back to me when he's won the Balon d'Or but Piatek is a one season wonder. And even then it was about two-thirds of a season at best. And he's somehow managed to blag two big money moves off the back of it.

If he was 29 and not 24 he'd be moving to a Mid-Table Turkish team with questionable financial support for ~2m Euros.

How do you get so much time to watch the Bundesliga between being on here and playing footy games :D
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited May 24

How do you get so much time to watch the Bundesliga between being on here and playing footy games :D

You act like I can't play FM and have Football on at the same time. Got out of my Europa League Group with Koln/Dusseldorf on earlier today.

Mainly seen him in Serie A last season to be fair, easier to watch because most of the good games are Sunday evening. Just don't rate him, had a run last season where he basically scored with every shot he took- but that sort of run isn't sustainable over a long time. And when he wasn't scoring he doesn't do much build-up play wise.

Got into Serie A properly a couple of years ago when it was the Juve/Napoli title race season with Sarri. Mainly because it was the only league with a proper title race beyond like November that season.
  • wheelerdeeler
    A genuinely amazing discovery. In 2027 Alfie Mawson is Korean.
    0bnhAgi.png
  • BristolMDF
    1258 posts Professional
    Al Fi Maw Son
  • They Caged Non

You act like I can't play FM and have Football on at the same time. Got out of my Europa League Group with Koln/Dusseldorf on earlier today.

Mainly seen him in Serie A last season to be fair, easier to watch because most of the good games are Sunday evening. Just don't rate him, had a run last season where he basically scored with every shot he took- but that sort of run isn't sustainable over a long time. And when he wasn't scoring he doesn't do much build-up play wise.

Got into Serie A properly a couple of years ago when it was the Juve/Napoli title race season with Sarri. Mainly because it was the only league with a proper title race beyond like November that season.

It was more the Elite 3 weekend league I was talking about:)

I’ve not touched Fifa for nearly 2 months now, completely uninterested, each time I think about turning it on the state of the community pops in my head and I don’t.

With regards to Berlin, that’s not massive money in modern football to spend on players (no worse than either of our clubs recently) but it is quite expensive... still though I can only go by what I saw on Friday and they were excellent, my guess is next season they will be up there.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Needs to get the Partizan Ultra buzzcut back before we start playing again if he wants to score goals.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Feel a bit for Michael Hector. He's spent the whole back half of 2019 in a Pre-Season, plays for about 3 months and now he's got to do another one.
  • james2060
    2958 posts Fans' Favourite

Quite a few European countries now have their second and third tiers playing again, and then you see the financial state that the equivalent leagues and below here are in. There's no reason that financially the teams here should be in such a worse position on the whole and sad that the Huddersfield fella reckons 50-60 clubs could go bust.
    Next season was always going to be different, but it could be a lot more different than the EFL are expecting.
  • wheelerdeeler
    The Prem is going to have to prop up the rest of the pyramid for the next 6-18 months until crowds can come back, whether it's through straight forward financial backing and/or reaching deals with clubs to send teams players on loan with no costs so they can still fulfil their fixtures and let some of their high earners go.
  • They Caged Non
    Actually driven somewhere tonight and used the camera to take some photos... felt weird, life is weird atm.
  • Dizzy Bala
    3839 posts National Call-Up
    Yeah Premierleague is going to have to help out the lower leagues for sure.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Do wonder if they could relax the Loan rules so the amount of players you're allowed on loan is increased and then say Man Utd could get deals in place with say Oldham to give them 4 or 5 players on loan. That would surely help. Ditch the B Teams from the JPT because more "big" teams youth players would be getting league experience.

We could probably send a decent number of players we've got to teams like Orient, Barnet, Woking, AFC Wimbledon etc.
  • They Caged Non
    Do wonder if they could relax the Loan rules so the amount of players you're allowed on loan is increased and then say Man Utd could get deals in place with say Oldham to give them 4 or 5 players on loan. That would surely help. Ditch the B Teams from the JPT because more "big" teams youth players would be getting league experience.

We could probably send a decent number of players we've got to teams like Orient, Barnet, Woking, AFC Wimbledon etc.

Or players could, you know, earn a normal wage for doing their jobs like the rest of us. It will be interesting to see all these players who are let go in lower leagues complaining about no work but then asking some skint football club to pay them 2 grand a week or whatever.