Option to ban yourself from FIFA points should be mandatory

Comments

• gregsii
    1208 posts Professional
    As if EA would provide such a feature.
    They bath in the suffering of their consumers.
  • Hammer316
    794 posts Semi-Pro
    They will probably be forced to do something like this soon.

In the meantime I think you can contact your bank and ask to blacklist a particular transaction going forwards. Just going through the steps of asking might be enough to kick the addiction for some. I know what it's like, spent far too much last year but I learnt my lesson.
  • James Libby
    7426 posts League Winner
    Quite the reform movement in here. You guys should propose a bill to be signed into law. That'll show them!
  • BondJame5Collins
    2161 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited May 23
    Triplee123 wrote: »
    It’s not ea’s fault you can’t control yourself

I kind of is when they manipulate the in game mechanics to target these people.
  • LeftPeg001
    113 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Quite the reform movement in here. You guys should propose a bill to be signed into law. That'll show them!

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make with that comment. Tell us your opinion

• LeftPeg001
    @James Libby come on mate, share your thoughts and reflections with us.
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    16541 posts World Class
    gregsii wrote: »

EA might not introduce this but certain government's could make this mandatory for all games with micro transactions. EA wouldn't have a say in the matter.
  • gregsii
    1208 posts Professional

EA might not introduce this but certain government's could make this mandatory for all games with micro transactions. EA wouldn't have a say in the matter.

One can only hope countries follow the foot steps of Belgium.
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    16541 posts World Class

One can only hope countries follow the foot steps of Belgium.

I think it's a matter of when rather than if. But it could still take years.
  • Jovand1988
    374 posts Sunday League Hero
    It should be an option but it does then admit it is addictive and similar to gambling addiction.
    However I do feel that is more of a Sony thing then EA as you do load up via Sony then EA (not sure how xbox or pc do it)
  • Uppedcart
    742 posts Semi-Pro
    I think this is a very good point raised and I dont see how this doesnt happen if I'm honest.

In the UK the government have come down hard on both financial institutions and gambling companies in order to protect the consumer as much as possible. This is displayed with the ability to pay back loans early, 14 day cool off periods, FCA regulation etc. Banks now have gambling limits set for your account where you cant use the account for 24 hours once a certain amount is spent. They also cant offer products to customers without FCA approval.

Looking at the progress made to protect people from gambling, I'm honestly shocked that EA sports and fifa have not been targeted or at least regulated especially as a large proportion of the player base is teenagers and children.

If people in the UK truly want this game to change and feel that this game is ethically incorrect then the only suggestion I can think is to write to MPs and raise concerns. With that said, I dont see an outcome where EA dont end up regulated it's just a matter of time. I'd love to hear @EA_Roger
    opinion on this and what EA are planning to do to protect their consumers particularly considering their new association with CALM.
  • SuperKMx
    2511 posts Fans' Favourite
    Uppedcart wrote: »
    With that said, I dont see an outcome where EA dont end up regulated it's just a matter of time. I'd love to hear @EA_Roger
    opinion on this and what EA are planning to do to protect their consumers particularly considering their new association with CALM.

I don't need to hear from EA to tell you that their plan to protect their consumers is as follows:-

1) absolutely nothing
    2) occasionally mention CALM or other charities to make it look like they care
    3) see step 1

Until they are in danger of breaking a law, they'll do nothing. Their response to Points being banned in Belgium - which amounts to "Belgian players can't buy FIFA Points now...oh well" - is proof enough that they absolutely do not and will not care about what players do until there is a risk of serious financial damage.

And that financial damage won't occur until a nation with a larger amount of players - such as the UK or France - implements a similar ban. What EA don't see is that if they regulated THEMSELVES and lobbied the console manufacturers to give them the ability to have self-exclusion functions or spending time-outs, they would be able to use those things as arrows in their quiver to defend themselves against outright bans.

"We DO care about our community...look at the things we've done to try to protect our players" might even be enough to allow them to negotiate changes to the law in Belgium.

But over the years, it's become increasingly obvious that EA can't see past the end of their own noses. They'll eventually be forced to change, but it won't be for at least three years. Maybe more now that COVID-19 has pushed governmental debates about this sort of thing to the back burner.
  • ArsleWenger
    418 posts Sunday League Hero
    I fully support this. But I don’t think EA will. They know all about pshycology and addictions etc, it’s in their master plan.
  • BondJame5Collins
    2161 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited May 24
    I fully support this. But I don’t think EA will. They know all about pshycology and addictions etc, it’s in their master plan.

Absolutely. They know about every players spending habits. Why is it new accounts get more pack luck? To reel them in. Why is it when you stop playing for months, you seem to get a better player in your pack.

EA sports, It's in the game.

I've played this mode for 5 years. I used to spend more than i should on packs, not once have i packed Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar. I think i've packed 2 icons, both low tier.

Yet you see all these streamers pack the top players every year.
  • lIlIlIlIlIl
    4717 posts National Call-Up

Absolutely. They know about every players spending habits. Why is it new accounts get more pack luck? To reel them in. Why is it when you stop playing for months, you seem to get a better player in your pack.

EA sports, It's in the game.

As much as I love wacky theories, there is no evidence that supports the notion of boosted pack weights for idle accounts and newcomers.
  • SuperKMx
    2511 posts Fans' Favourite

You don't.

Some do, but that's how randomness works.

I have no doubt that streamer packs are juiced - it would be nonsensical for EA to turn down 100% free advertising, even if it is entirely unethical - but there's no proof that new accounts get better pack luck beyond a few people saying "I started a new account and got a good player once."
  • Uppedcart
    742 posts Semi-Pro
    SuperKMx wrote: »
    Uppedcart wrote: »
    With that said, I dont see an outcome where EA dont end up regulated it's just a matter of time. I'd love to hear @EA_Roger

I don't need to hear from EA to tell you that their plan to protect their consumers is as follows:-

1) absolutely nothing
    2) occasionally mention CALM or other charities to make it look like they care
    3) see step 1

Until they are in danger of breaking a law, they'll do nothing. Their response to Points being banned in Belgium - which amounts to "Belgian players can't buy FIFA Points now...oh well" - is proof enough that they absolutely do not and will not care about what players do until there is a risk of serious financial damage.

And that financial damage won't occur until a nation with a larger amount of players - such as the UK or France - implements a similar ban. What EA don't see is that if they regulated THEMSELVES and lobbied the console manufacturers to give them the ability to have self-exclusion functions or spending time-outs, they would be able to use those things as arrows in their quiver to defend themselves against outright bans.

"We DO care about our community...look at the things we've done to try to protect our players" might even be enough to allow them to negotiate changes to the law in Belgium.

But over the years, it's become increasingly obvious that EA can't see past the end of their own noses. They'll eventually be forced to change, but it won't be for at least three years. Maybe more now that COVID-19 has pushed governmental debates about this sort of thing to the back burner.

Exactly this.

The day will come and I believe EA know it. From what I have seen this year they are literally doing everything in their power to make as much money as possible and they dont care about the player base as they keep lapping it up and spending more.

I'd still like to hear from EA regarding this as I feel they should comment despite having no faith that they will entertain the idea. They have shown their true colours during this pandemic as they could have engaged with their player base during a difficult time for the world, instead they saw increased revenue and grabbed the chance.
  • LeftPeg001
    Bump