The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• Alastair
    10217 posts Moderator
    Gareth Barry as in... walking yellow card, West Brom Gareth Barry?

I think so. :joy:
  • wheelerdeeler
    7382 posts Big Money Move
    Are players even allowed to own shares in clubs (in the country they're playing in)? I remember that big thing about Scholes as Oldham manager and how it could be a conflict if/when they played Salford.
  • Pwalie86
    1525 posts Play-Off Hero
    We beat Leeds at Elland Road in dramatic style so by PPG system we should be promoted.

I may be slightly drunk but I make perfect sense.
  • iHilarious
    13300 posts Has That Special Something
    Jelly & ice cream when Swindon die
  • Hicksy2011
    16934 posts World Class
    So the EFL are trying to push through a 2.5m salary cap for league 1
    We had a turnover of 11.5m last season
    The highly sustainable suggestion is 55% of your turnover goes on wages
    So the EFL want to drop our suggested wage bill by around 4m
    Brilliant stuff what a joke
  • GoodnightIrene
    3903 posts National Call-Up
    iHilarious wrote: »
    Jelly & ice cream when Swindon die
    Party time baby
  • GoodnightIrene
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Everyone always cries for a fair playing field and how money is ruining football until it affects their club, would have thought a Pompey fan would understand the need for these caps especially in current times!
  • james2060
    2959 posts Fans' Favourite

:D The current structure is fine in principle. Stick in some actual punishments and you'll be there. If Portsmouth can afford to have players on 5k a week, what's the problem.
  • Hicksy2011
    16934 posts World Class
    edited May 20
    Everyone always cries for a fair playing field and how money is ruining football until it affects their club, would have thought a Pompey fan would understand the need for these caps especially in current times!

Look I don’t mind it if it’s done another way e.g.
    The 55% rule or some other thing like your wage budget is the money you make from season tickets + 50% of your EFL payment
    A structure that would essentially ring fence the top 2 leagues, and lets be honest have a limited effect on the at risk teams such as Accrington isn’t really the solution
    To essentially just force the biggest clubs in the league to make millions of profit and be pillaged for all their best players because they can’t give them a fair contract is ridiculous
  • GoodnightIrene

Look I don’t mind it if it’s done another way e.g.
    The 55% rule or some other thing like your wage budget is the money you make from season tickets + 50% of your EFL payment
    A structure that would essentially ring fence the top 2 leagues, and lets be honest have a limited effect on the at risk teams such as Accrington isn’t really the solution
    To essentially just force the biggest clubs in the league to make millions of profit and be pillaged for all their best players because they can’t give them a fair contract is ridiculous
    I agree in that respect, some L1 clubs like Rochdale or Gillingham for example may be screwed financially next season from this, hell, I expect us to sell JCH and release a majority fo the squad and only play with youngsters and frees for the foreseeable future, so in a good sense a whole restructuring of the clubs wage bill is going to be welcome. The problem is then the already massive gap between L1 and Championships is now just incomprehensible for a club like us to go up.

One thing I've though of, what if Middlesboro end up getting relegated? I've read somewhere their yearly wage bill is in excess of 70M! (Whether that's true or not I am sure it is a lot more than 2.5M py in any case...)

At what point do they have to reduce it by 60M to comply with the cap? In a year or two? By then they could have had the unfair advantage of a higher wage and gone straight back up.

There's a lot to overcome, I just have a feeling clubs in League 2 and the bottom end of League 1 are really going to feel this financially for years to come.
  • Hicksy2011
    16934 posts World Class
    My worry is that they are shooting themselves in the foot
    We have 13m in the bank and would happily spend some of that on players (such as JCH) which would help keep other teams alive
    But under the new rules we would have to release half our first team squad to halve our wage budget and not be able to sign anyone
  • They Caged Non
    6259 posts Big Money Move
    It’s just embarrassing now having to listen to club owners and chief execs telling us why they think the season should either end or be completed properly, but they don’t have an ‘agenda’, oh no course you don’t you transparent cranks. I wish I had put a large sum of money on the Sunderland one on our local news telling us he thinks it needs to finish.. you would do wouldnt you, you ❤️❤️❤️❤️ bottle jobs
  • They Caged Non
    Just to add if it turned out we would be relegated to L1 if they finished on PPG now, I would have zero issue with it, we have been a complete joke all season and deserve whatever happens.
  • GoodnightIrene
    It does amuse me in the very least that if the L1 season was to end now as it stands or on PPG, we would be the reason why Sunderland have no chance of getting promoted.
  • AaronMFC
    1879 posts Play-Off Hero
    Just to add if it turned out we would be relegated to L1 if they finished on PPG now, I would have zero issue with it, we have been a complete joke all season and deserve whatever happens.

Wed be fine since we beat Charlton in the last game but yeah i dont think id complain too much if we hadnt won that game and were relegated. Really poor most the season.
  • NornIron
    13807 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 21

Amazing im feeling like an agent right now, im nearly sure I've mentioned him a few times.
    Small 5'8 or so stocky fast winger, ive seen him take it right to the byline then beat 2 or 3 defenders with close control.
    Cant remember but I think he was great in this game, had a quick look last 30 secs is what im talking about beating players on the byline does this all the time. Both feet either wing.
    Just said to my da Oxford are interested in Cooper and he said ''Hopefully get him to hell away'' thats because he rips us apart in every match.😂
  • GoodnightIrene
    AaronMFC wrote: »

Wed be fine since we beat Charlton in the last game but yeah i dont think id complain too much if we hadnt won that game and were relegated. Really poor most the season.
    Got a mate who is a Boro fan (lives down Bristol so could be completely speaking out his a*s here) saying your wage bill is nearly 80M, this sound about right to you pals?
  • AaronMFC
    1879 posts Play-Off Hero

Got a mate who is a Boro fan (lives down Bristol so could be completely speaking out his a*s here) saying your wage bill is nearly 80M, this sound about right to you pals?

It sounds ridiculously wrong, trying to find the exact figures online wasnt as easy as a quick google search but theres no way its that high we got rid of some big wage earners like braithwaite recently, Gestede is out of contract at the end of this season which will help our wage budget massively.
  • Hicksy2011
    16934 posts World Class
    Yeh no way that’s true, that’s 30 players on an average of 50k a week
  • Hicksy2011
    16934 posts World Class
    Most recent stat I found for Boro was £48m on wages which I imagine has maybe fallen a little bit further towards 40m
    But circling back to your original point, quite how that team is meant to make it down to 2.5m wage bill any time in the next 3 years is beyond me (had they been relegated)
  • wheelerdeeler
    Our wage bill in the Prem was 93m, so there's no chance Boro's in the Championship is 80.
  • GoodnightIrene
    Just wanted to have written word from 2 actual Boro fans that he was talking nonsense cheers pals :lol:

But as you say Hicksy it sums up my point, the EFL have said relegated teams would have a grace period to conform to the rules (I imagine 1 season, maybe 2...) but that means 1 or 2 seasons even extra advantage to literally go straight back up.
  • iHilarious
    13300 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 21

NornIron wrote: »

Amazing im feeling like an agent right now, im nearly sure I've mentioned him a few times.
    Small 5'8 or so stocky fast winger, ive seen him take it right to the byline then beat 2 or 3 defenders with close control.
    Cant remember but I think he was great in this game, had a quick look last 30 secs is what im talking about beating players on the byline does this all the time. Both feet either wing.
    Just said to my da Oxford are interested in Cooper and he said ''Hopefully get him to hell away'' thats because he rips us apart in every match.😂

Looks a good little player - send them all over if they turn out like Whyte
  • wheelerdeeler
    Maybe Jaap Stam got killed and replaced after the Play-Off Final @Handy Andy.
  • They Caged Non

So true mate, nice to have people being realistic isn’t it.. no way would I blame the FA for our downfall if it had happened.

Yeah sounds like his brain stopped calculating when we were in the Prem, we have some high earners but Pulis hugely reduced the wage bill and Woodgate has carried it on.
  • They Caged Non
    Most recent stat I found for Boro was £48m on wages which I imagine has maybe fallen a little bit further towards 40m
    But circling back to your original point, quite how that team is meant to make it down to 2.5m wage bill any time in the next 3 years is beyond me (had they been relegated)

I think basically our 10/12 biggest earners are all out of contract this season and Woodgate has been buying nobodies from league one as our ‘star’ signings
  • james2060
    2959 posts Fans' Favourite

Anyone seen other clubs doing these? We're not getting promoted this year, but you can wear a club themed mask instead. Sound.
  • Hicksy2011
    16934 posts World Class
    We’ve just announced masks too
    Nothing like profiting off of a pandemic