• ||natch0||
    161 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    26 years. Still remember when you could run away from a red card XD
  • Mogga
    1576 posts Play-Off Hero
    think i got a word cup one in 98, must of been on the ps1 i would guess
  • Gromit
    4699 posts National Call-Up
    Since the first ones on the megadrive back in 93 I think.

But took a PES break in the early 2000s. I still use the PES controls on Fifa to this day.

Got back into Fifa in 2007
  • WS100889
    363 posts Sunday League Hero
    Since 97 / 98. I enjoyed playing Fifa 97 ( especially with my uncle), however i Think Fifa 98 is still my all time favourite Fifa game and now still currently play it on my Nintendo 64. I use to play it a lot on my pc which i don't have anymore , but still have the pc version somewhere i think.
  • Skywalker XVII
    354 posts Sunday League Hero
    I believe my first one was Fifa 95 on PC.

Fifa 98 road to world cup was the one I played the most though.
    Such a good game
  • Bakudu76
    2856 posts Fans' Favourite
    Think u showed ur age lol oldie lol jk been playing since like fifa 98

Same.
    But also hat iss 1 and and 2
  • SimenHP
    2462 posts Fans' Favourite
    Born in 96, so probably from around early 2000 (I started playing Fifa on ps1). I do remember trying my brother Fifa 96 on Snes, but that was also probably between 99 and early 2000
  • LoPo9
    1226 posts Professional
    94. Man, how the game has changed. You used to be able to stand in front of the keeper who punted it into you then just tap it in. I remember playing an indoor mode with Cantona in the late 90s (97?). I used to live in career mode.

The game has given so much joy and frustration in 25+ years.
  • tommyboyo
    1643 posts Play-Off Hero
    Brian Plank and Janco Tiano. Need i say more!

I have missed some years along the way though, depending on 'real life' commitments.
  • Mantic
    461 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited May 13
    97. Had 94 on megadrive and did not buy 2001 as i played pes 6 then but other than that year played them all lol
  • ASX
    3046 posts National Call-Up
    Since 2009.

Was a PES player until then, before that ISS.
  • RexAnglo1066
    3259 posts National Call-Up
    I got Fifa 94 for Christmas from a relative as I'd bought a Megadrive off a friend a few weeks before.

I did play Kick Off and Sensible Soccer before that on the Amiga, but I'm sure 94 was my first Fifa.

• RexAnglo1066
    3259 posts National Call-Up
    LoPo9 wrote: »
    94. Man, how the game has changed. You used to be able to stand in front of the keeper who punted it into you then just tap it in. I remember playing an indoor mode with Cantona in the late 90s (97?). I used to live in career mode.

I used to love that game.

Fifa and Madden were among my favourite games of that console generation.
  • SomeNextGuy
    4785 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 13
    Casually as a kid from 03/04 on the original Xbox and Gamecube! Think Thierry Henry was on the cover.

Fifa 10 onwards when I was about 15/16 was when I really got into it as more of a 'hardcore' player.
  • LoPo9
    1226 posts Professional

I used to love that game.

Fifa and Madden were among my favourite games of that console generation.

FIFA, Madden and NCAA football. They were such incredible games back in the day. Playing career, franchise or dynasty with buddies. Ah, the days...
  • Paulopudasso
    1520 posts Play-Off Hero
    Started with fifa 96 still here today but growing disillusioned with it as time goes on, all the relegators and 1 depth drop back defending
  • LoPo9
    1226 posts Professional
    Started with fifa 96 still here today but growing disillusioned with it as time goes on, all the relegators and 1 depth drop back defending

I am too. All of the number of versions of players, bigger players feeling like tanks, having to spend hours and hours (or money which I won't do) to get the coins necessary for high end players. That's just the content. As for gameplay, it just toxicity.
  • PirateW
    347 posts Sunday League Hero
    ||natch0|| wrote: »
    26 years. Still remember when you could run away from a red card XD
    And stand in front if the goalkeeper so his kick hit you and bounced in, lobbed pass from halfway line with a bit of swerve always went in, as did a shot from the corner of the penalty area.

The strange thing is, these tactics were funny at the time, probably because you only played in your own home against cpu or a friend.
    Nowadays, if there's a known and guaranteed way of scoring, everybody would be crazy on internet forums saying it's the meta and abuse of game mechanics, complaining that online opponents they don't know in real life are effectively cheating. But we all did it before and laugh about it now.

Scoring a goal and you could choose your own sound effects too - fireworks and Brazilian commentator saying goooooooooool forever are two I remember.
  • Paulopudasso
    1520 posts Play-Off Hero

I am too. All of the number of versions of players, bigger players feeling like tanks, having to spend hours and hours (or money which I won't do) to get the coins necessary for high end players. That's just the content. As for gameplay, it just toxicity.

I agree to a point but I i like the objective players as they are not too hard to obtain unlike some cards
  • LoPo9
    1226 posts Professional

I agree to a point but I i like the objective players as they are not too hard to obtain unlike some cards

I love objective players, icon swaps and SBC players.

I agree. I love working for objective players, icon swaps and even unique SBC. I just dont understand why there needs to be 4 versions of icons (when many of them are poorly represented in the game). Why does FIFA recreate cards for the same players over and over?

I like the game overall, but some of the content decisions make me scratch my head.
  • Neal1982
    1029 posts Professional
    Started in Fifa 11. Used to be decent at the game was in Div 1 (online) back in the day, since Custom tactics, Youtubers and win at all cost have come a thing, I am now more r6/7.

Game used to be fun, now its like that scene in Game of thrones were John Snow turns around and you have hundreds of people charging at you.

This will be my last year, when you stop enjoying a game and feel the want to punch an opponent is is no longer for you!

• tommyboyo
    1643 posts Play-Off Hero
    RedDevilNL wrote: »
    I can't remember when I started but I was a big career mode guy until FIFA 14. Picked up a copy of FIFA 19 from the used bin a little over a year ago. Tried FUT about a week later and have played wayyyyy too much of that for the last year.

Starting to tire of the FUT grind in all honesty.

This sounds like me.

Was much happier playing career mode. People used to tell me about this FUT thing and i used to laugh and say 'sounds rubbish, I am happy with my Arsenal career'.

Little did I know how engrossed I would become in latter years.
  • PelzyWelzy
    10338 posts Has That Special Something
    Too long, I need to quit

Right there with ya.
  • abhreebhu_45
    2021 posts Fans' Favourite
    99 was my first,,, used winning 11 in 2007(got it as a gift) n pes in 2010-11

Otherwise fifa
  • VagisilFC
    1466 posts Play-Off Hero
    All the way through the sim era, only a couple of times in the arcade era
  • Malg
    253 posts Sunday League Hero
    11 years, but now looks like the last, always been a casual player, but sadly appears no place for casuals anymore.
  • Scu11duggery
    1144 posts Professional
    Original FIFA International Soccer through to FIFA 99. Then PES up to FIFA 08. FIFA 08-18. Only started playing FIFA 20 as I got it free with my PS4 and some friends in lockdown wanted to get some games in for a bit of social interaction
  • YB_11_
    372 posts Sunday League Hero
    Since fifa 97..
  • oldboiler
    3034 posts National Call-Up
    Played during the mega drive days, switched over to PES when it was at its peak, came back to FIFA 4 years ago. First year was good, but sadly it’s got progressively worse each year, this year is probably a new low
  • mufcscott__
    658 posts Semi-Pro
    Either 05 or 06, been playing UT since it was a downloadable DLC on FIFA 09 lol