The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• Hicksy2011
    16875 posts World Class
    Just crushed my housemates attempt because I knew Son and Kompany both played for Hamburg
    Absolutely priceless just ruining like an hour of work
  • They Caged Non
    6251 posts Big Money Move
    Latest Football Manager plot twist. I've now got Rivaldo as a Director of Football, which is letting me sign old Brazilians in League Two. I've now got a 36 year old Jadson as a Deep Lying Playmaker, still feeding Chris Martin though. Tried to sign Fred (rubbish World Cup one, not Man Utd one) but he couldn't get a Work Permit.

Oh yeah, I won the Conference by 5 Points. Had Jay Stansfield on loan and he finished top scorer in the league. Currently won 2 out of 2 in League 2.

F.O.R.Z.A

you might learn something about what the country North of Watford looks like.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7355 posts Big Money Move
    Latest Football Manager plot twist. I've now got Rivaldo as a Director of Football, which is letting me sign old Brazilians in League Two. I've now got a 36 year old Jadson as a Deep Lying Playmaker, still feeding Chris Martin though. Tried to sign Fred (rubbish World Cup one, not Man Utd one) but he couldn't get a Work Permit.

Oh yeah, I won the Conference by 5 Points. Had Jay Stansfield on loan and he finished top scorer in the league. Currently won 2 out of 2 in League 2.

F.O.R.Z.A

Are you trying to tell me that if you go outside the M25 it's not some sort of Mad Max barren wasteland? Because frankly, I won't believe you.
  • Alastair
    10217 posts Moderator

How is Stanno's kid doing for you in real life? I've seen on twitter he's played a few times.

His dad is still held in very high esteem with our fans (along with Exeter and Yeovil's). Every major match (cup final/promotion match/big cup tie etc) we also have a minute's applause in the 9th minute. I'd love us to get to Wembley against either Exeter or Yeovil one day as they always do the same.
  • They Caged Non

F.O.R.Z.A

Are you trying to tell me that if you go outside the M25 it's not some sort of Mad Max barren wasteland? Because frankly, I won't believe you.

To be fair, Forza makes it look like mad max, loads of people nailing cars around at 200mph
  • wheelerdeeler
    Alastair wrote: »

How is Stanno's kid doing for you in real life? I've seen on twitter he's played a few times.

His dad is still held in very high esteem with our fans (along with Exeter and Yeovil's). Every major match (cup final/promotion match/big cup tie etc) we also have a minute's applause in the 9th minute. I'd love us to get to Wembley against either Exeter or Yeovil one day as they always do the same.

Would be fair to say he’s our most highly regarded player in the youth teams at the moment. Scored a ridiculous amount of goals in the 18s which meant he got fast tracked to the 21s (genuinely I think he got something like 3 Hat-Tricks in a row). And then when Mitrovic got injured he ended up in the first team setup for a bit.

Depending on what division we end up in next season I would think he’d either end up going out on loan or being more involved with the first team next season (whenever next season is).
  • Alastair
    10217 posts Moderator

Would be fair to say he’s our most highly regarded player in the youth teams at the moment. Scored a ridiculous amount of goals in the 18s which meant he got fast tracked to the 21s (genuinely I think he got something like 3 Hat-Tricks in a row). And then when Mitrovic got injured he ended up in the first team setup for a bit.

Depending on what division we end up in next season I would think he’d either end up going out on loan or being more involved with the first team next season (whenever next season is).

That's great to hear. :smile:

What league do you think you'd loan him out to? I assume we'd be far too low.
  • wheelerdeeler

That's great to hear. :smile:

What league do you think you'd loan him out to? I assume we'd be far too low.

I think we’d want to loan him to a team that’ll do well and create chances so as to not ruin his confidence. Probably a top end League Two team.

A bit on the nose to say Exeter, and I doubt they’d want to given we shafted them when we signed him.
  • iHilarious
    13287 posts Has That Special Something
    https://futwiz.com/en/fifa20/totssf-vote

Vote Dickie then boys, cheers x
  • wheelerdeeler
    EFL TOTS came out at the same time as Most Consistent last year, right?
  • wheelerdeeler
    azDuZrT.png
    orKuBEc.png

Feel like it's a decent time to bring this back up.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Also I’ve just clocked that Felipe Anderson is somehow up for a MC TOTS. I said someone on the content team was a West Ham on here not that long ago...
  • They Caged Non
    Also I’ve just clocked that Felipe Anderson is somehow up for a MC TOTS. I said someone on the content team was a West Ham on here not that long ago...

That’s shocking, he is lazy AF
  • iHilarious
    13287 posts Has That Special Something

When we smashed them he walked around the pitch for 20 minutes. Seems like a form player rather than someone consistently performing
  • They Caged Non
    iHilarious wrote: »

When we smashed them he walked around the pitch for 20 minutes. Seems like a form player rather than someone consistently performing

Yeah he is very typically Brazilian in that respect.. can do genius but easily gets a sulk on and wanders about.
  • wheelerdeeler
    iHilarious wrote: »

I didn't really get the hype with him last season to be honest. He wasn't a regular starter for Lazio (when they weren't challenging for the Scudetto), but because he had a good start he was suddenly top drawer and a bargain at 45m.
  • Alastair
    10217 posts Moderator
    edited April 20
    Here's an interesting idea which I'm nicking from the CMS Chat thread; if you could revamp English/European football in any way, what changes would you make?

Think mine could be controversial :joy: :

1. 100 team football league (5 leagues of 20 with) followed by regional leagues starting in non-league (a 2-4-8-16 region set up at each level). 3 up and 3 down at every level. The bottom two tiers of the FL could be League 2 North and South instead of League 2 and League 3.

2. Revamp the cup competitions:
    • FA Cup replays reintroduced to 5th round and all rounds played at a weekend (replays midweek). UCL spot goes to FA Cup winner.
    • Clubs will lose income from 3 less home matches as a result of not having as many teams in the league so that can be addressed by reformatting the EFL Cup and Trophy.
    • I'd make the EFL Cup a group stage with one team from each of the 5 leagues. Then a knockout (top team in each group goes through to the knockout stage with the twelve second place teams from the lowest leagues - this'd remove fixture congestion from PL teams who finish 2nd).
    • For the EFL trophy I'd make it a straight knockout with the teams from leagues 1-3 along with 2 teams from each of Conference North and South (potentially the 3 relegated team + one other).

3. Reformat the European competitions to have the format I suggested yesterday:
    • The Champions League to be a straight knock out for league and cup champions only
    • The Europa League for the next best teams in the league.
    • Then the new EL2 can be for the next best again.
    • In total 6 teams per country. e.g. for England:
      CL = PL and FA Cup winners
      EL = 2nd + 3rd
      EL2 = LC + 4th

4. Reintroduce the Watney Cup
    Wikipedia wrote:
    It was held before the start of the season, and was contested by the teams that had scored the most goals in each of the four divisions of the Football League the previous season who had not been promoted or admitted to one of the European competitions. Two teams from each division took part, making eight participants in total.

The competition was a straight knockout format, each match was a one-off with no replays. The final took place at the home ground of one of the finalists, rather than a neutral venue.
  • Hicksy2011
    16875 posts World Class
    edited April 20
    Consistency of number of places for promotion and relegation I agree with
    If there’s one thing I’d want it would be extra goals given in the play offs for being clear of the opposition
    Let’s say maybe like 1 goal for every 6 points clear, it’s a joke when you occasionally get a team being almost 20 points clear from the league and getting essentially no advantage
    Probably only give the goals for the semi finals not the final though
  • Alastair
    10217 posts Moderator
    That's a really good idea actually. They need some way to give advantage to the higher finishing teams in the playoffs.

That'd have been amazing for us in 2003/04. We'd have started 3-0 up in the semi final. :D
    d4f3e421f02732e532a62aa56f89e442.png

• Hicksy2011
    16875 posts World Class
    That Watney cup sounds crazy
    And that’s the exact point, what a joke you finished 21 points clear and got zero advantage for it
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited April 20
    I’ll start by saying this categorically will not happen for so many reasons. But it’s just my idea.

With the financial situation clubs are going to be in after this time period I’d shave the 92 down to 80. Have 4 leagues of 20 and the extra 12 are teams who thanks to financial reasons have had to go Semi-Pro.

I’d then split the Conference Prem into North and South, 18 teams each to save on travel costs (2 Relegation spots each because the Promotion from N/S won’t change). Winner of each Division is promoted and then 2nd-5th of each division have Play-Offs with the winner of said Play-Offs then playing each other for the last promotion spot. And make that the big Play-Off stuff (more later) for the end of the season and shop it around as the "Race to the Football League" to try and sell more TV rights and get more money to the teams who need it more.

As I said 4 Leagues of 20 for the Football League. I’d have two Automatic promotion spots for each division and two automatic relegation spots. With 18th against 3rd as one off Relegation Play-Offs for Prem v Champ, Champ v L1, L1 v L2. With the home advantage given to the team who finished 3rd.

On Cups, bin off the League Cup. Always give home advantage to the “underdog” team in the FA Cup like I think they do with the Coupe de France. No Replays, decided on the day with Extra Time and Pens. JPT, set an age limit on who can play for the “U23” teams so the system doesn’t get abused.

Pretty sure they’re doing this with the Europa Conference already, but cut down on the teams in the Europa League. There’s way too many teams in the Group Stage. Champions League works for me. Just bin off the Away Goals in Extra Time rule which is literally unfair as the away team gets an extra 30 minutes to score one.
  • GoodnightIrene
    3898 posts National Call-Up
    For me the one change I've always said would reduce fixture congestion for the big boys as well as 'bring back the magic of the cups' or whatever is a total restructuring of the 3 cups.

FA Cup remains as is.
    Premier League clubs now do not compete in the League Cup, it is instead competed between the 72 EFL teams (bottom 16 of League 2 prior season in Round 1, all remaining teams come in to make 64 for an unseeded Round 2.
    EFL Trophy is scrapped (now replaced by the restructured League Cup.

This would not only reduce fixture congestion as each team now has one less cup to compete in, but also make the cups more important respective of where each club is. The Prem clubs now only have the FA Cup, of course the EPL is still the gravy but now the magic of the FA Cup being worth competing for is back. The 72 now have a chance of actually winning a cup in the League Cup instead of getting as far as the semis before getting smacked by Liverpool or Man City. The lower clubs still have their chance of a golden pay day in the FA Cup, but now also have a chance of going deep in the League cup as the best team they are going to play for example will be Leeds as opposed to Man City.

- The problem with all of this would obviously be financials, as this would no doubt decrease the sponsorship money that comes in for the League Cup, and potentially League 1 and 2 clubs now without the EFL Trophy are less likely to go on a run to Wembley, reducing income potential even more.

From a practically footballing standpoint though I've always thought this would reduce congestion and make all cups worth playing again for all teams, as right now the Prem clubs for the most part don't give a scooby about the League Cup and most clubs don't give a rats about the EFL Trophy until the regional finals.
  • They Caged Non
    Cancelling the league so Scousers and Dirty Leeds suffer would be amazing.. beyond I don’t really have any ideas.
  • BristolMDF
    1254 posts Professional
    Structure wise, I wouldn't change too much.

4 divisions of 24 for league football, same promotion system, two up automatically, 3rd-6th into playoffs. 3 down from each. Sack off the idea of the 'premier league', it's all the English Football League, Division 1 to Division 4.

FA Cup, old school - replays to continue.

League Cup and EFL whatever it is now...absolutely pointless, get rid. FA Cup is THE domestic cup competition, and the others just dilute the 'magic' of it, hopefully having it as the exclusive domestic competition would go back to making it more like it used to be.

VAR out. Goal line technology in all divisions but other than that no technology for decisions. I've kind of gone 180 on that based on the farcical implementation to date.

Can't even begin to map out everything wrong with the financial side of the game and how it could be brought around to a fair and level playing field, it's just too far gone, so I won't even try!

But for a couple of starter ideas, no club bias for televised matches, all English league clubs to have the same amount of broadcast fixtures each season with an even distribution of all TV revenues.

Severe penalties for the financially reckless. Like FFP, but something that actually works as a deterrent to foul play and forces clubs to live within the revenue generated from footballing activity.

But would take so long and have so many obstacles that it'd never happen.
  • They Caged Non
    Far too much Sensible stuff going on in here the last couple of days, sort it out boys we need some madness haha.
  • AaronMFC
    1866 posts Play-Off Hero
    Been watching a lot of old clips and even in its current rendition i prefer using VAR to not at all watching real madrid steal CLs made me sick. Theres a lot of work to get it right but i prefer it to some of the farcical reffing seen. Im bored of people saying they want the ref to look at a screen thats an awful idea use it like third umpire in cricket to speed things up and actually use a mic for the var ref to explain his decision.
  • They Caged Non
    Ive got a cheese roll with brussels pate for bait today, gonna shot some sally vinegar crisps in there for good measure, anyone else eating equally disgustingly?
  • BristolMDF
    1254 posts Professional
    Bait? Sally vinegar? What in the blazes are you talking about man?
  • BristolMDF
    1254 posts Professional
    Assuming that this indecipherable waffle is talking about lunch, mushroom omelette for me.
  • They Caged Non
    BristolMDF wrote: »
    Assuming that this indecipherable waffle is talking about lunch, mushroom omelette for me.

FFS, could you be any more middle class :D