The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• NornIron
    13808 posts Has That Special Something
    Are you guys playing football manager on PC/Laptop, whats the tablet or mobile version like?
    Used to be hooked years ago.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7388 posts Big Money Move
    NornIron wrote: »
    Are you guys playing football manager on PC/Laptop, whats the tablet or mobile version like?

I'm playing it on a Macbook Pro, runs the game fine- but I can't play it for more than a couple of hours at a time or it'll overheat.
  • wheelerdeeler
    iHilarious wrote: »
    Football Manager brings out the worst in you. Just gone against everything I believe in and signed... Chris Martin.

Solid transfer policy

I’ve won League 1 by 16 points, came 2nd season after and 10th first season in the Prem - I think I’ve found my calling

Without even really deliberately trying to I've got a very Fulham-oriented team for Kettering. Suppose I'm just signing players I know/recognise and I know what young players we've got to try for on loan.

Won the Conference North in my first season on the last day, and I'm top of the Conference Prem by 3 Points after 25 games in my second but I've got genuinely half my first team missing with injury.
  • They Caged Non
    6264 posts Big Money Move

I'm playing it on a Macbook Pro, runs the game fine- but I can't play it for more than a couple of hours at a time or it'll overheat.

Really? Just how system intensive is this game? I’ve got 2 MBP’s and I’ve hammered them over the years and never overheated. In fact I regularly do a 4 hour DJ set with mine with no issues.
  • wheelerdeeler

Really? Just how system intensive is this game? I’ve got 2 MBP’s and I’ve hammered them over the years and never overheated. In fact I regularly do a 4 hour DJ set with mine with no issues.

The actual game file is about 7GB. Couldn't tell you how much RAM you need to run it. Could probably Google it and find out if you were that interested.

What I can tell you is the other day I was trying to finish my season off and powered through and the fans literally let out one long exhale like a last breath and then it crashed and I genuinely thought it had died for a second.
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    Football Manager brings out the worst in you. Just gone against everything I believe in and signed... Chris Martin.

Gonna take more than that to Fix You.
  • They Caged Non

The actual game file is about 7GB. Couldn't tell you how much RAM you need to run it. Could probably Google it and find out if you were that interested.

What I can tell you is the other day I was trying to finish my season off and powered through and the fans literally let out one long exhale like a last breath and then it crashed and I genuinely thought it had died for a second.

What model is it? I tend to close other apps down if I’m using it for something really intense.

My 2015 13” MBP is used for photo and video editing, DJing etc and I don’t really look after it, it never sits on a solid surface and lives under the sofa and still works fine.
  • They Caged Non
    Who are these absolute brain dead cretins burning mobile phone masts?

Also our CEO has announced that people are now wrapping barbed wire around telegraph poles to stop engineers doing their job, telegraph poles that carry landline cables and have nothing to do with ❤️❤️❤️❤️ mobile signal :D
  • wheelerdeeler
    Thought this would be easy, but it's actually quite hard. Thought I had it at one point, but then I realised Sneijder and Drogba had both played for Galatasaray.

Ended up with;
    Oblak; Lahm, Kompany, van Dijk, Maldini; Ndidi, Hamsik, Cazorla; Messi, Drogba, Ronaldo.
  • NornIron
    13808 posts Has That Special Something
    P Schmeichel, Lahm,Maldini,Godin Van Dijk, Zidane, D Silva, Dunga
    Messi, Shearer, Drogba

I think thats works but its very hard.
  • They Caged Non
    Schmeichel, Errrrm

This is solid cos I was born in 1980 and most of the players that have been top class in my time are either Dutch, Brazilian or played for Barcelona and AC Milan.
  • AaronMFC
    1879 posts Play-Off Hero
    Cristiano Ronaldo should definitely be in but i got a united and madrid player in without him so had to leave him out.

Oblak, Lahm, Van Dijk, Vidic, Maldini, Modric, Kante, De bruyne, Messi, Kane, Mbappe. I think that works
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited April 15
    Kane and Modric both played for Spurs.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited April 15
    Messi, Shearer, Drogba

Shearer and van Dijk are both Southampton. It's ridiculously hard. Saw one on Twitter earlier that got done in because De Bruyne and Koulibaly both played for Genk.
  • Hicksy2011
    16954 posts World Class
    sounds as though 10+ EFL teams could go bust because of this
    crazy crazy times, we could have the most bizarre scenario in whatever football we come back to
    Apparently one L1 team are considering cancelling the contracts of all their players
  • AaronMFC
    1879 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 17
    Kane and Modric both played for Spurs.

and kante and mbappe are both french so Oblak, Lahm, Van Dijk, Vidic, Maldini, Modric, pjanic, David Silva, Messi, Drogba, Mbappe

edited cos de bruyne and drogba both played for chelsea
    Post edited by AaronMFC on
  • They Caged Non
    Messi, Shearer, Drogba

Shearer and van Dijk are both Southampton. It's ridiculously hard. Saw one on Twitter earlier that got done in because De Bruyne and Koulibaly both played for Genk.

It’s not just hard, it’s pointless, because you just end up with a team that’s nowhere near the best team of players in your lifetime. Which is also a good indication that certain clubs and nations have dominated football both in success and financial stature since forever.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Messi, Shearer, Drogba

It’s not just hard, it’s pointless, because you just end up with a team that’s nowhere near the best team of players in your lifetime. Which is also a good indication that certain clubs and nations have dominated football both in success and financial stature since forever.

I quite like it because it makes you think. Ronaldo Nazario for example would take out basically every team that's dominated in the last 20-25 years bar English teams.
  • They Caged Non
    Messi, Shearer, Drogba

I quite like it because it makes you think. Ronaldo Nazario for example would take out basically every team that's dominated in the last 20-25 years bar English teams.

Which is the bit that makes it pointless isn’t it. So many passed through Barcelona alone that you just end up picking 2nd rate players that would be behind other players who have played for them. Dani Alves is the best right back we have ever seen but is anyone gonna wipe Brazil and Barca out by picking him?
  • AaronMFC
    1879 posts Play-Off Hero
    Messi, Shearer, Drogba

Which is the bit that makes it pointless isn’t it. So many passed through Barcelona alone that you just end up picking 2nd rate players that would be behind other players who have played for them. Dani Alves is the best right back we have ever seen but is anyone gonna wipe Brazil and Barca out by picking him?

If i had the choice of any players id still pick Lahm and Cafu over Dani alves there much better defenders.
  • GoodnightIrene
    3903 posts National Call-Up
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    sounds as though 10+ EFL teams could go bust because of this
    crazy crazy times, we could have the most bizarre scenario in whatever football we come back to
    Apparently one L1 team are considering cancelling the contracts of all their players
    After the 25M debt we announced I wouldn't be surprised if we are in big trouble.

In terms of a team cancelling contracts I assume at best guess that would be Accy, Tranmere or Rochdale but that is purely guesswork.
  • They Caged Non
    AaronMFC wrote: »
    Messi, Shearer, Drogba

If i had the choice of any players id still pick Lahm and Cafu over Dani alves there much better defenders.

Cafu is a good shout but not sure on Lahm being better, defending maybe but Alves tore us apart that night in 2006 and continued tearing teams apart for the next 13yrs.. if one video clip spoke volumes it’s his outside of boot no look cross straight onto the toe of whoever was darting into the box, possibly Iniesta, just ridiculous.
  • AaronMFC
    1879 posts Play-Off Hero
    Messi, Shearer, Drogba

Cafu is a good shout but not sure on Lahm being better, defending maybe but Alves tore us apart that night in 2006 and continued tearing teams apart for the next 13yrs.. if one video clip spoke volumes it’s his outside of boot no look cross straight onto the toe of whoever was darting into the box, possibly Iniesta, just ridiculous.

Well for Lahm captaining your club to a champions league and country to a world cup is special. He got a lot of assists might be wrong but think he was never sent off in his career and was an elite defender. The only player i remember giving lahm a run around when he was rb was nani.
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    edited April 16
    Like that challenge, will have a go later

Meanwhile, started a new account on a new console to get around the web app issue I was having, and re-did the icon swaps pack. Bit of an upgrade on RVN :D

Think this is what the yoof call a 'big dub'

5ef84354e94971008b480104d206cdd9.jpg
  • They Caged Non
    Messi, Shearer, Drogba

Well for Lahm captaining your club to a champions league and country to a world cup is special. He got a lot of assists might be wrong but think he was never sent off in his career and was an elite defender. The only player i remember giving lahm a run around when he was rb was nani.

Yeah he is defo a fair shout, I prefer Alves personally but both been incredible.. but even if we ignore Alves there is Laudrup, Hagi, Koeman, Stoichkov, Romario, Figo, Messi, Iniesta, Pique, Puyol, Ronaldo, Zubizaretta, Xavi, Suarez etc etc... then if we start taking 90s AC Milan team, 2000s Madrid team and all the players that have swapped between the two it’s going to mean compromises.
  • AaronMFC
    1879 posts Play-Off Hero
    Messi, Shearer, Drogba

Yeah he is defo a fair shout, I prefer Alves personally but both been incredible.. but even if we ignore Alves there is Laudrup, Hagi, Koeman, Stoichkov, Romario, Figo, Messi, Iniesta, Pique, Puyol, Ronaldo, Zubizaretta, Xavi, Suarez etc etc... then if we start taking 90s AC Milan team, 2000s Madrid team and all the players that have swapped between the two it’s going to mean compromises.

I only really remember from about the mid 2000s onwards which is why so many of my team has a recency bias i wanted to put iniesta in but could not justify leaving messi out as the barca player. CR7 on the other hand takes away man u real madrid and juve, same with brazilian ronaldo. I do find it interesting how different peoples teams can be with these rules though.
  • mott1993
    935 posts Semi-Pro
    edited April 17
    Oblak; Lahm, Koulibaly, Vidic, Robertson; Kaka, De Rossi, David Silva; Messi, Drogba, Mbappe
    Post edited by mott1993 on
  • They Caged Non
    edited April 16
    Messi, Shearer, Drogba

I only really remember from about the mid 2000s onwards which is why so many of my team has a recency bias i wanted to put iniesta in but could not justify leaving messi out as the barca player. CR7 on the other hand takes away man u real madrid and juve, same with brazilian ronaldo. I do find it interesting how different peoples teams can be with these rules though.

Yeah true mate... tbh this whole thing is just another example of ageism in modern society, we are being punished for seeing more players, I might start a campaign or something, start a hashtags #pray4oldcuntsonfifaforumgettingunfairlytreatonnameplayergame
  • AaronMFC
    1879 posts Play-Off Hero
    Messi, Shearer, Drogba

Yeah true mate... tbh this whole thing is just another example of ageism in modern society, we are being punished for seeing more players, I might start a campaign or something, start a hashtags #pray4oldcuntsonfifaforumgettingunfairlytreatonnameplayergame

I like it its a good way around the filter as well.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited April 16
    Latest Football Manager plot twist. I've now got Rivaldo as a Director of Football, which is letting me sign old Brazilians in League Two. I've now got a 36 year old Jadson as a Deep Lying Playmaker, still feeding Chris Martin though. Tried to sign Fred (rubbish World Cup one, not Man Utd one) but he couldn't get a Work Permit.

Oh yeah, I won the Conference by 5 Points. Had Jay Stansfield on loan and he finished top scorer in the league. Currently won 2 out of 2 in League 2.