Fifa 20 CMS Discussion Thread

Comments

• Danimal5981
    2558 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited March 26
    Alastair wrote: »
    if you could change any league format in the world, how would you do it?

I'm a big proponent of merging smaller national leagues together. For the benefit of getting a more level playing field across Europe and enlarging the scale of the market. And let me first explain why.

I as a football-fan am getting sick, that the element of surprise is all but eliminated from Europe's most prestigious tournaments and one way to curb that, is to merge smaller leagues as counterweight to the top 4 or 5 leagues currently existing.

In the last 15 years, only did a team from outside the top 5 leagues make it to the Champions League semis TWICE and even on those two occasions it concerned only Dutch teams (PSV 2005, Ajax 2019). So, unless you're a Spanish, English, German, Italian, French, or Ajax or PSV fan, there literally has nothing been to cheer about when it comes to international club football. But what if you're Belgium's best, Austria's best, Switzerland's best, Poland's best etc... it's very egotistical to merely scope on your own country in that sense: it's like the whole of Europe is contributing to a huge pie, but only five countries get to eat it.

Now, you can't scale back to a Champions League of actual Champions - the larger football associations won't agree to that. So instead of bringing the top down, you need to get the bottom up.

Therefore, I'm hugely in favor of merging smaller leagues: BeNeLux-League, Alps League, Scandinavian League, Vishegrad League, Balkan League etc. One might even think of merging Scotland, Wales and both Irelands...

As for formats, there are 2 options - let's take the BeNeLeague example

BeNeLux-League: option 1 - (European model)
    You merge 8 Dutch teams, with 7 Belgian and a 1 Luxembourg one
    They play a league of 30 rounds.
    Later, the top 6 plays an additional 10 games to determine Champions League and all that.

BeNeLux-League: option 2 - (American model)
    There will be separated Dutch and Belgian conferences (with a Luxembourg club in the Belgian one)
    Cross-boundary games will take place but results count for your own conference only;
    This will considerably raise the level, as you'll have more games against bigger teams.
    Eventually, the Top 4 of both conferences meet each other in a final knock-out round.

In both scenarios, I would keep the Cup tournaments national, so that every national football association still has at least one team represented in UEFA tournaments.

In both scenarios, there would be national feeder leagues underneath, where the champion or Top X play a promotion/relegation round with the bottom team[s.] of their nationality.

• Danimal5981
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    I'm not really a gamer, and while I could share my story of how I came to play FIFA, I doubt it's one anybody wants to read. ;)

Well, I for one am always interested in stories of the people behind all these posts. And honestly not really a gamer myself, just too much time on my hands due to the whole Corona thing.

Which reminds me, until a year ago we had our Spanish friend @subpop who kinda disappeared. Spain has been hit hard by the viral thing, I hope he's doing alright.
  • Wyojasond
    15357 posts World Class
    I'm not really a gamer, and while I could share my story of how I came to play FIFA, I doubt it's one anybody wants to read. ;)

Well, I for one am always interested in stories of the people behind all these posts. And honestly not really a gamer myself, just too much time on my hands due to the whole Corona thing.

Which reminds me, until a year ago we had our Spanish friend @subpop who kinda disappeared. Spain has been hit hard by the viral thing, I hope he's doing alright.

Yeah I miss old @subpop.

Hope everyone is doing well. Schools here have been cancelled for the year so I’m staying home and teaching the kids. It’s been interesting 😂 Wife is a pharmacist so she’s considered essential and has been going into work regularly. Can tell it’s really starting to drain her.

As for @Alastair post. I’ve always kind of wondered what American sports would look like with the promotion/relegation option. Not just talking Soccer either. All of the sports.

As for what is happening thus far, I think leagues are going to have to find a way to get these games played almost no matter what. Your starting to see repercussions already and while of course health and safety should be put first, there are lots of options being floated around. Biggest thing I think will happen is that players will all be living together soon and they will try to cram the remaining games into a very tight schedule (potentially 3 games a week)
  • Danimal5981
    As for @Alastair post. I’ve always kind of wondered what American sports would look like with the promotion/relegation option. Not just talking Soccer either. All of the sports.

So what's the requirement to go a level up or down in the US?
    Does it depend merely if you can cope financially?

• Wyojasond
    15357 posts World Class

I mean we don’t even have levels 😂 Mostly it’s just if the league wants to expand and if some rich ***** can convince a city to raise there taxes so he can build a stadium.
  • Stlducks
    3805 posts National Call-Up

Some coworkers and I have tried to come up with ideas for how this would work in the NFL, NBA and MLB.

MLB is pretty easy since there are already levels. A, AA, AAA and MLB so that is 4 levels right there. But as it is now, the MLB team owns a team in each level. That would have to stop.

The only possible way to make it work for NBA and NFL would be to get rid of college sports. Removing college sports would open up a ton of stadiums and arenas to use. It would also provide more players who wish to play sports instead of going to college or play sports while going to college.

Even if this happened, I'm not sure the money is there for lower leagues to survive. Other countries have soccer(football) as such a huge part of their life that even small teams can barely get by financially. In America there isn't really a sport that dominates besides football but as we have seen with other leagues trying to start up, they just can't earn the money to stay open. The XFL being the newest league to open and I can't see that sticking around another year.

I'm a big fan of pro/rel but I just don't see how it could happen in American sports.
  • Danimal5981
    @Wyojasond @Stlducks

In Netherlands, Germany, Poland and a bunch of other European countries pro, amateur, college and youth teams just mix. If you're amateur, promotion is optional (E.g. The champion of the Dutch 2nd Division is not required to go up to 1st Division, the tier under Eredivisie). The only exception is that no club is allowed more than one team in a league competition.

However in the late 80s, Ajax I was eliminated quickly from the Cup, while Ajax II advanced. In the next round, Ajax II suspiciously looked a lot like the first team :wink: and made it to the semi finals. In 2002, penalties prevented an all Ajax Dutch Cup final, while Ajax II officially was entitled to get promoted into the Eredivisie in 2018, if it wasn't for Ajax already being there.

I think it was last season a Welsh or Ulster college team suddenly won their national league and moved into the Champions League qualifiers. So you see, it's pretty open here.
  • Alastair
    10246 posts Moderator
    @Wyojasond @Stlducks

In Netherlands, Germany, Poland and a bunch of other European countries pro, amateur, college and youth teams just mix. If you're amateur, promotion is optional (E.g. The champion of the Dutch 2nd Division is not required to go up to 1st Division, the tier under Eredivisie). The only exception is that no club is allowed more than one team in a league competition.

However in the late 80s, Ajax I was eliminated quickly from the Cup, while Ajax II advanced. In the next round, Ajax II suspiciously looked a lot like the first team :wink: and made it to the semi finals. In 2002, penalties prevented an all Ajax Dutch Cup final, while Ajax II officially was entitled to get promoted into the Eredivisie in 2018, if it wasn't for Ajax already being there.

I think it was last season a Welsh or Ulster college team suddenly won their national league and moved into the Champions League qualifiers. So you see, it's pretty open here.

Cardiff Met Uni are the Welsh team you're thinking of. They're not your typical university team. They signed a lot of players from other sides and just gave them full scholarships. They signed the Hereford captain for instance. They play for them and do a bit of studying then come out of it with a degree in a sports related subject.

They also qualified for the EL in a weird way. They didn't win the league but came 7th (out of 12). They then won the Europa League playoffs.

Wales only has 1 professional team in the whole country (The New Saints who have won 8 titles in a row). All the others are semi-pro/amateur so it's quite easy for a university side to do well there.
  • Stlducks
    @Alastair and @Danimal5981 what do other countries think of the playoff system American sports have? I have mixed feelings as I love the excitement of the playoffs in sports but I also believe having a playoff does not guarantee the best team that season is the champion. You see it a lot in MLB, whatever team is hot at the end of the season is most likely to win it all (see 2006 Cardinals as best example recently).

MLS have the best set-up I think. A trophy for having the best regular season and then a trophy for winning the playoffs.
  • Danimal5981
    Stlducks wrote: »
    @Alastair and @Danimal5981 what do other countries think of the playoff system American sports have? I have mixed feelings as I love the excitement of the playoffs in sports but I also believe having a playoff does not guarantee the best team that season is the champion. You see it a lot in MLB, whatever team is hot at the end of the season is most likely to win it all (see 2006 Cardinals as best example recently).

MLS have the best set-up I think. A trophy for having the best regular season and then a trophy for winning the playoffs.

I in fact love it. It gives an element of surprise. And makes form or peaking at the right moment quite an issue. That's also sport. On top, it would make my big dream possible of cross-boundary competition: You could fuse Holland and Belgium together, each playing in their own conference at first and then the best of both hammer it out in the play-offs. I'd only wish European leagues were set up more like the American ones.
  • Alastair
    10246 posts Moderator
    I personally don’t think it’d work in Europe. We have the UEFA competitions. They’re essentially our version of cross-conference playoffs. Scraping the UEFA competitions and making a post-season continental playoff would be an interesting idea though.

It works in closed league systems for things like the NFL where there is a limit on the number of teams due to how many players each team needs but I don’t think they work in sports which have a surplus of teams like football.

I personally don’t like the closed league setup the MLS has. English football is the best football league in the world mainly because any team can theoretically get to the top if they’re good enough. The lack of B teams also helps us because it means the players are spread around clubs from every city, town or village instead of being hoarded by the top sides.

• Wyojasond
    15357 posts World Class
    Alastair wrote: »
    I personally don’t think it’d work in Europe. We have the UEFA competitions. They’re essentially our version of cross-conference playoffs. Scraping the UEFA competitions and making a post-season continental playoff would be an interesting idea though.

It works in closed league systems for things like the NFL where there is a limit on the number of teams due to how many players each team needs but I don’t think they work in sports which have a surplus of teams like football.

I personally don’t like the closed league setup the MLS has. English football is the best football league in the world mainly because any team can theoretically get to the top if they’re good enough. The lack of B teams also helps us because it means the players are spread around clubs from every city, town or village instead of being hoarded by the top sides.

Chelsea with there loan army 😏
  • Virtual_K
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    I've been trying to comment for the last couple of days but keep getting interrupted and losing my train of thought, so here goes another try. :D

I hesitate to comment on pro/rel in American sports because past experience in another forum has turned into pi**ing contest when it's really just a matter of what works where.

It would require a massive paradigm shift in the sporting culture of the USA to support a pro/rel system like that in England, and it's not going to happen. @Stlducks is right, college sports would have to disappear as well as the culture and traditions that go way back to the founding of this nation, so the whole idea is absurd. Our top leagues are static, sure, but they represent most of the major population centers and gives our league more of a nationwide appeal, which brings me to my next point. Unlike other large countries like China, Russia, and Brazil whose populations largely reside in one half of the country, our population exists along three major coastlines and the Great Lakes with a lot of space in between. New York and LA and their surrounding counties are the two largest, and they are separated by 2000 plus miles. If pro/rel existed in this country and allowed to run its course, you would end up having a disproportionate number of teams in the top league from the Northeast and along the California coast because that is largely where the investments would be. As you move down the line, the smaller the circle of travel becomes, so those places with a higher population density will have better developed local leagues with more competition that attract better players and produce better teams. The end result would be a lopsided top division with large parts of the country unrepresented and uninterested.

Europe is well-placed for a thriving international competition, but the USA is isolated so we are more focused on winning the domestic league. The main reason we have playoffs is because our leagues need to be divided into conferences to reduce travel. One of the criticisms of MLS I've heard often is why doesn't it have a single table and twenty teams like England does. Wow, talk about lazy thinking. In the beginning when MLS was only ten teams it was a single table, but as you approach twenty teams, the amount of travel grows exponentially, plus we're dealing with three different time zones, jet lag, losing a day of training, you get the picture. With the different conferences you have different schedules, thus the need for a playoff to determine a champion; it's not a gimmick, although there is plenty of room for discussion on playoff format.

While I'm not opposed to pro/rel existing in some form here in the USA, I don't think it's necessary and I'm not convinced it would add value. The notion that players in a bottom team in our leagues don't try because there is no fear of relegation is laughable. If the player is American, I assure you they don't want to be playing for a loser. Competitiveness is ingrained in sports from an early age (almost shamefully so), and if a player makes it all the way to the pros, then he/she wants to win.

That being said the USL (divisions 2, 3, and unofficially 4 of soccer in this country) is doing some interesting things in structure that may attempt to support pro/rel in the future. For it to be successful, I believe it would have to be done on a regional or conference basis to preserve the nationwide thing to be successful, but we'll see.
  • Danimal5981
    I still don't get it: You could easily fuse both systems: you can keep the conferences, keep travel expenses the same and play promotion/relegation games. Within conference, of via a state championship (to qualify for the nationwide league).

The bottom team of the conference plays a play-off, or best of three/five/seven/whatev against the top team of the lower league of the same conference. Say, Detroit wants to enter: they need to start in a lower league, work themselves up throughout the Eastern Conference and then face (if it was this year) FC Cincinnati.
  • Virtual_K
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    I still don't get it: You could easily fuse both systems: you can keep the conferences, keep travel expenses the same and play promotion/relegation games. Within conference, of via a state championship (to qualify for the nationwide league).

The bottom team of the conference plays a play-off, or best of three/five/seven/whatev against the top team of the lower league of the same conference. Say, Detroit wants to enter: they need to start in a lower league, work themselves up throughout the Eastern Conference and then face (if it was this year) FC Cincinnati.

It sounds like you do get it, and what you're describing is what I think the USL is trying to do. Soccer is a different beast in this country than the other sports and doesn't have all the barriers of tradition and what's already in place. College sports are a huge part of player development for football and basketball but less so for baseball, hockey, and soccer. I can't speak about hockey, but baseball has an extensive minor league system that's the closest we have to a pro/rel system in depth, but it is a development league that exists to support the pro teams in MLB, who largely fund it. I'm not sure changing that to pro/rel would make baseball better. NFL and NBA are fine, especially football. It's only played seriously in US and Canada but the attendance and revenue numbers are astronomical, so why change for the sake of change? That's all I'm saying.

Back to soccer and MLS. Here's the thing with MLS, and you have to know the soccer history in this country to appreciate the challenges. Soccer is not new in this country, but for one reason or another professional leagues have failed (I believe MLS is the fifth professional league). The failure of NASL set this country back in terms of the sport. NASL did not fail because of lack of public interest. It failed because of a poor business model that spent all its money trying to attract big name players and not on infrastructure and youth development that would in turn grow the league. When MLS formed (as part of agreement to host 1994 World Cup), investment interest was tentative at best. The ten charter teams were owned by only 4 initial investors. Yeah, the league sucked in the beginning, and I think a lot of those first impressions remain, but it's a process and not magic that has carried the league to the present day. The league is still growing into it's own, and one of the reasons why it's a closed system (for now) is to minimize the risk of the initial investments that has provided the foundation for the league. Without that protection, there would be no investment and no MLS. Once the infrastructure is in place and the league becomes profitable (some teams still operate in the red), then I believe the league will be more open to discussion.

People talk, but the reality here is that there are so many sporting options from the different leagues and popularity of college sports that there is no guarantee that there would be enough public support in the lower leagues to finance pro/rel. I'll surely keep an eye on the USL as soccer is the only sport with realistic chance of pro/rel in this country, but if it doesn't work out, who cares? :D Why does everything have to be an either/or proposition? I like watching European football as well as MLS and the NBA. The differences are refreshing.
  • Danimal5981
    edited April 4
    I like watching European football as well as MLS and the NBA. The differences are refreshing.

I remember arriving in San Francisco in 2002 and these people took me to sports games throughout the entire Bay Area. And at first, I just didn't get it. I understood the rules of any game, but not the fascination with it.

To me as a European, American sports were just 10-30 seconds of something very dynamic going on... and then it would stop. And this went on for two hours on average: action, cut..., action, cut..., action, cut. And everybody was psyched about it, whether it was a baseball, hockey or (American) football game. And I just couldn't get my head around what was so fun about sports constantly being interrupted, again and again. 1,5 years later I was just as fanatic.

So I guess what @Virtual_K says is definitely true. Whether it's the format, the rules or the feel of the game, the differences make it great. But the grass always looks greener on the other side, so you're always a little jealous about what the other has, which is what you're missing.
  • sviraman
    136 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Closed leagues with conferences and playoffs vs promotion/relegation is mostly a matter of sports as entertainment and commerce in the States vs sport as culture and community and local pride everywhere else.
    Different origins, different objectives, different attitudes.
    MLS, NBA, NFL, et al are a show first and foremost, aimed at pleasing the TV audiences and corporate advertising overlords. Everything is plastic, teams move at a whim, players are assigned randomly, nothing really ever matters as long as the show goes on.
    European sport is still, despite the continued efforts to commercialise it, primarily a competition, a little war, not just between teams, but between localities and social classes and and even ideologies (like, imagine a Lazio v St Pauli). US college sports would have been the closest American equivalent in spirit, were it not a modern-day slavery.

Efforts to turn one into another are unlikely to succeed, because the culture around it is just fundamentally different.

P.S. Using playoffs to decide a league season is an insult to the very idea of a league competition. There are leagues and there are cups, they exist separately for a reason and shall not be made into a frankenstein monster.
  • Virtual_K
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    I hesitate to comment on pro/rel in American sports because past experience in another forum has turned into pi**ing contest when it's really just a matter of what works where.
    sviraman wrote: »
    P.S. Using playoffs to decide a league season is an insult to the very idea of a league competition. There are leagues and there are cups, they exist separately for a reason and shall not be made into a frankenstein monster.

@Danimal5981 : see what I mean. Complete ignorance and lack of willingness to understand and accept differences.
  • Danimal5981
    @Danimal5981 : see what I mean. Complete ignorance and lack of willingness to understand and accept differences.

Everybody is entitled to his or her take on the thing. I know my views on it are far fetched from a European perspective, but I believe there is a third way in which the European league model and the American tournament model are merged together into a superchampionship-sort-of-thing.
  • Virtual_K
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero

Everybody is entitled to his or her take on the thing. I know my views on it are far fetched from a European perspective, but I believe there is a third way in which the European league model and the American tournament model are merged together into a superchampionship-sort-of-thing.

People are entitled to an opinion, but there's an expectation in a discussion that it be an informed one. I guess, as an American, I don't understand the hostility, and it's usually one way. I've already explained why we have playoffs; it's not a difficult concept that even needs explanation if you stop and think about it. I don't believe anybody over here is even advocating that European leagues adopt playoffs, so why is it even an issue with some people?
  • Danimal5981
    It's awfully quiet here, which prompts me to ask:
    How is the whole Corona-thing dealt with in your respective countries?

Here in Poland, everything is in lockdown and getting out of the house, even for the occasional walk, is severely limited. supermarkets and livestock-markets are open but in the morning hours exclusively to seniors (65 & older), while in the afternoon no more than the double amount of counters. So, my local supermarket has 5 counters which means a max of 10 customers per time is allowed inside. Aside of that, one needs to stay inside.

Needless to say, we have actually too much time on our hands right now. I kinda expected that it would increase the activity here, but then things might be different down your end.
  • Stlducks

Here in Poland, everything is in lockdown and getting out of the house, even for the occasional walk, is severely limited. supermarkets and livestock-markets are open but in the morning hours exclusively to seniors (65 & older), while in the afternoon no more than the double amount of counters. So, my local supermarket has 5 counters which means a max of 10 customers per time is allowed inside. Aside of that, one needs to stay inside.

Needless to say, we have actually too much time on our hands right now. I kinda expected that it would increase the activity here, but then things might be different down your end.

I am fortunate that my job is able to be completed from home and is considered "essential" so we are still open and working. My wife works in a hospital so she has been busy and I'm working from home with the kids.

In the US, each state is handling things differently. I live in Iowa, we do not have a statewide lock down like other states do but have been asked not to gather in groups larger than 10 people and they would "prefer" if we did not leave the house very often. Everything is closed besides grocery stores and essential businesses so really there is no point in leaving anyways.

I live in a small town of about 250 people, the biggest city (Dubuque) is 15 miles away which means my neighbors and I have been very lucky nobody close to us is sick. We can still walk around town, visit neighbors and help the farmers with any chores they are doing.

All my gaming free time has been going to PES. I find PES2020 so much more fun than FIFA this year so I have been playing that and posting my career in OS forums that allow PES. But I still enjoy checking in here to see how things are going.
  • Wyojasond
    15357 posts World Class

I’m in Arizona and the governor has basically ordered the state shutdown. It’s starting to pop up around my small town a lot more. Lake Havasu is about an hour from us and Vegas is about 2 hours away. Havasu had a bunch of cases come up recently because of spring break. Vegas is actually shut down and it’s crazy to think that. Our county is up to 18 cases now I think, with it doubling in the last week. I’ve heard not much testing has happened either though (the case in most places not on the coast)

I work from home and the kids school has been cancelled til the end of the year so I spend most days working on school packets with them. Only go out to get essentials at the store which is about 2 minutes from my house. My wife is a pharmacist though so she’s dealing with it everyday. Had a scare the other day as a pharmacist about 3 hours away died from the virus. Spooked her a bit.

Other than that, it’s pretty much the same around here. We are kind of shut ins anymore as it is 😂 Just miss my golf course trips and of course hitting up Phoenix and Vegas for little family getaways.
  • sviraman
    Complete ignorance and lack of willingness to understand and accept differences.

I literally wrote out the differences in that same comment tho.
  • sviraman
    Like, see how I wrote "league competition"? MLS is not one, it's an American sportertainment format, that exists outside of a traditional league/cup paradigm. In fact I am baffled at the existence of a US Cup, it makes no sense, like NHL and NBA don't have no cups, why does this one? Pure apery, just as the idea of playoffs in European leagues.
  • Danimal5981
    edited April 6
    sviraman wrote: »
    I literally wrote out the differences in that same comment tho.

right, after giving it labels as 'no sport but entertainment', 'plastic', 'an insult' , 'frankenstein monster' and now 'apery' too..., giving it a clearly dismissive opinion.

It's okay to disagree. I just don't like the league system too much, due to fact that you can play around with technicalities (play for a draw, goal difference, away goals). So I would see it as an improvement if the decisive phase of a competition would be in an either win or lose format. Without the existing rules on away goals and aggregate, because that brings an element of inequality.
  • Danimal5981
    edited April 6
    @Wyojasond @Stlducks Any view on how long you think it will take before daily life goes back to normal in the US? Or, wait and see, as is here in mainland Europe?
  • Wyojasond
    15357 posts World Class
    @Danimal5981...I’d say it’s probably the same as you guys. Wait and see. They do keep pushing everything back so I’m expecting a few more months of this personally (if not longer) people are already getting way to antsy and stupid about all of this though. Just can’t stay home 🤦‍♂️

They keep saying we should see the peak in the next 3-4 weeks but I have my doubts.
  • Alastair
    10246 posts Moderator
    In the UK we're on an initial 3 week lockdown until next Monday. You can only go outside for:
    • To buy food
    • Essential jobs which cannot be done from home
    • Health related issues
    • Daily exercise local to your home

You cannot meet with people outside your household.

Our peak is expected next weekend so I suspect we'll have complete lockdown until at least the end of April. Normal life won't be back to normal for a few months (probably as many as 6 months).
  • dannyboy
    12925 posts Has That Special Something
    Yet you see people eating breakfast in the park etc.
This discussion has been closed.