The Football thread featuring COVID-19: Barcelolna

Comments

• Tornado31619
    22410 posts Club Captain
    What does he mean by “karting” like go-karts? :joy:

Yep :lol:

I mean he has a point about being the better player, but he’s not anywhere near as good as he thinks he is and his professionalism is even worse
  • MaddMike3711
    12938 posts Has That Special Something
    What does he mean by “karting” like go-karts? :joy:

Yep :lol:

I mean he has a point about being the better player, but he’s not anywhere near as good as he thinks he is and his professionalism is even worse
    Omg, that’s pretty childish. :D

Agreed, nobody has ever disputed that he’s a better footballer than Giroud, but he torpedoed his own career based off of his own choices. :D
  • Tornado31619
    22410 posts Club Captain
    He’s clearly a favourite of Perez, seeing as how he was a regular in the team long before Zidane turned up, but hopefully he knows that he wouldn’t be a starter elsewhere.

How would you guys rank him in his prime? The “his output would have been lower had it not been for Bale and Ronaldo” card is invalid as it’s merely hypothetical, but then you could also argue that it was because of their presence that he was never the focal point of Real’s attack. But his finishing has been downright laughable for a CL-challenging side at times, and I just don’t think that he holds a torch to the likes of Lewandowski, Agüero and Suárez. Thoughts?
  • arsenalap
    8441 posts League Winner
    Benzema is a great player. Not as clinical as other top strikers but he has other things he brings.
  • Tornado31619
    22410 posts Club Captain
    How highly do you guys rate Donny van de Beek? Somebody brought him up in the United lounge today following the Grealish news.
  • Alemas_2012
    18731 posts World Class
    Guess Benzema can be considered as one of those support strikers who doesn't score a lot, but helps others in scoring.
    For whatever reason I keep thinking of Emile Heskey as a prime example for that, if there are other, better examples please say so. :joy:
  • ccooaattssyy
    12973 posts Has That Special Something
    Summer69 wrote: »
    My employer got us all together today and said they are looking start using the government scheme for 80% of salary due to a drop in revenue. Just about to move house (or was) and have a 4 month old and partner on basic maternity pay.

Wouldn’t mind, but throughout my employment they’ve talked about how they have the financial reserves to weather a storm and that loyalty to their employees is at the core of the business proposition. I’m not so sure now.

If business is affected it’s a no brainier as an employer unfortunately. They pay 100% or the government pay 80% of it.
    Don’t know what industry your in

I get that, just difficult really. I appreciate they don’t have to, but a 20% top up at least initially would be a nice gesture. It ends on 30/05 at which point, who knows. Not knowing is difficult.

I work in investments & pensions, so I get it’s an area affected significantly obviously.

It’s not helped by them having huge cash reserves & pretending to care.
  • ccooaattssyy
    I should add I know others will suffer more than myself financially as a result. It’s exposed the fragility of the market led system we treat like a religion in the West at least. Isn’t that right comrade @ORANGEeffect05
  • ORANGEeffect05
    26122 posts Player of the Year
    I should add I know others will suffer more than myself financially as a result. It’s exposed the fragility of the market led system we treat like a religion in the West at least. Isn’t that right comrade @ORANGEeffect05

Farmer now hero for taking care of bread for man in suit who handles his bread. Long live the wheat, comrade.
  • arsenalap
    8441 posts League Winner
    My employer got us all together today and said they are looking start using the government scheme for 80% of salary due to a drop in revenue. Just about to move house (or was) and have a 4 month old and partner on basic maternity pay.

Wouldn’t mind, but throughout my employment they’ve talked about how they have the financial reserves to weather a storm and that loyalty to their employees is at the core of the business proposition. I’m not so sure now.

If business is affected it’s a no brainier as an employer unfortunately. They pay 100% or the government pay 80% of it.

I get that, just difficult really. I appreciate they don’t have to, but a 20% top up at least initially would be a nice gesture. It ends on 30/05 at which point, who knows. Not knowing is difficult.

I work in investments & pensions, so I get it’s an area affected significantly obviously.

20% top up would be fraud mate ha..

The whole point is your company cant afford to keep you employed at all so have to do it.
  • Mackie17
    8565 posts League Winner
    Try being self-employed and paying rent on a shop you can't open 🙃
  • ccooaattssyy
    edited March 30
    arsenalap wrote: »

The whole point is your company cant afford to keep you employed at all so have to do it.

Your employer is allowed to top up. Read the guidance.
  • ccooaattssyy
    Mackie17 wrote: »
    Try being self-employed and paying rent on a shop you can't open 🙃

The whole situation is just crap. They need to do more for you.
  • ccooaattssyy

Farmer now hero for taking care of bread for man in suit who handles his bread. Long live the wheat, comrade.

The Revolution will Come,Comrade!
  • arsenalap
    8441 posts League Winner

Ah ye I do remember them saying that actually. What I dont know is if your company needs to be in a certain financial situation first. Otherwise surely everyone will do it..
  • ccooaattssyy

Ah ye I do remember them saying that actually. What I dont know is if your company needs to be in a certain financial situation first. Otherwise surely everyone will do it..

The company I work for has massive cash reserves, tucked away for a “rainy day.” That day has come and they are going cap in hand to the government.

I totally agree if they need the 80% off, but try to do your best for staff. I work in financial services, where they’ve modelled what they can, could easily factor in paying us 20% at least until 30th of May with no dent to the plan. If they were in a terrible position I’d be more sympathetic to the process.

It’s a bit rubbish all around.

I think the way it’s structured companies will be straight on it, as they don’t need to guarantee to keep the employees afterwards either. For the government they are just kicking the can down the road imo. So many industries gonna be in deep trouble for a long time.

On another joyous note, we will be paying for this for decades.
  • ccooaattssyy
    edited March 30
    AFTV is on ITV, been quite good actually.

Not a massive fan, but the racist abuse is disgusting.
  • ccooaattssyy
    Do y’all think the new FIFA will be delayed?
  • MaddMike3711
    12938 posts Has That Special Something
    It should be in all honesty, especially if the leagues are to be played out in July. Knowing EA though, it’s just going be a 20.5 that gets pushed out to keep the money flowing.
  • Tornado31619
    22410 posts Club Captain
    It should be in all honesty, especially if the leagues are to be played out in July. Knowing EA though, it’s just going be a 20.5 that gets pushed out to keep the money flowing.

You say that as though that wasn’t already going to be the case.
  • Retro_G
    33018 posts National Team Captain

No chance, from September to January is their biggest profit margins. They can do a community vote for TOTY and can market the game through social media.
  • Alemas_2012
    18731 posts World Class
    Ah, the difference of culture.
    While Manchester City would be willing to let the title go to Liverpool, this sort of sportsmanship can't be said about Lazio.
    Ever since the season got suspended, they have been complaining about the Juve-Inter match being played (it meant that Lazio got knocked off top spot), Juve and Inter wanting the season cancelled, the Juve players' behaviour during these difficult times...
    And now their sporting director said that the season should be resumed for the respect of those who died, and all the fans. :D
    Ok, Liverpool have a 25-point lead over City, while Juve are just a point above Lazio, so it's still very much to play for, but still... Inter are currently nine points behind, but they have a game in hand, and apparently they'd be fine with the cancellation of the season.
  • Tornado31619
    22410 posts Club Captain
    There's a difference. City have four league titles in the last decade, whereas Lazio's last one came twenty years ago and this could be the only one that they win for another while.

And to be honest, I don't see why a season that we're over three-quarters of the way into should not be played out.
  • Kennyy
    1391 posts Professional
    There's a difference. City have four league titles in the last decade, whereas Lazio's last one came twenty years ago and this could be the only one that they win for another while.

And to be honest, I don't see why a season that we're over three-quarters of the way into should not be played out.

I don’t get the rush to start next season.

Just finish this whenever possible then assess when to start the following season.
  • Tornado31619
    22410 posts Club Captain
    Sergio Ramos turns 34 today, damn.
  • ColeWorld
    11949 posts Has That Special Something
    Pal Dardai had several offers from clubs in the Bundesliga and other 1st divisions, but he wants to be a coach in our youth academy again and declined all of them :heart:

Passion and love for the club. He's one of a kind in the football world. What a person, what a fan :heart:
  • hoban95
    56134 posts National Treasure
  • ORANGEeffect05
    26122 posts Player of the Year
    hoban95 wrote: »

Gonna be so good man.
  • hoban95
    56134 posts National Treasure
    That has honestly made my day. I'm so excited right now.
  • LFC Simon 98
    19998 posts Club Captain
    Ah, the difference of culture.
    While Manchester City would be willing to let the title go to Liverpool, this sort of sportsmanship can't be said about Lazio.
    Ever since the season got suspended, they have been complaining about the Juve-Inter match being played (it meant that Lazio got knocked off top spot), Juve and Inter wanting the season cancelled, the Juve players' behaviour during these difficult times...
    And now their sporting director said that the season should be resumed for the respect of those who died, and all the fans. :D
    Ok, Liverpool have a 25-point lead over City, while Juve are just a point above Lazio, so it's still very much to play for, but still... Inter are currently nine points behind, but they have a game in hand, and apparently they'd be fine with the cancellation of the season.

1 point and they have to play eachother is probably the difference. If they really can’t find a way to finish it at least just let Juve play Lazio and whoever wins gets the title.

Can see why they’d be miffed. They won’t come anywhere near as close for a while