Serie A might be cancelled.

Comments

• Ishibum
    14128 posts Has That Special Something
    Markman007 wrote: »
    I’ve got family in quarantine zones in Italy, some of them elderly. And many elderly people are dying there. Pretty callous to say we shouldn’t be concerned at all if you are young and healthy.

We should be concerned. - that's why I'm gutted but understanding of the situation that'll result in my Milan flights getting cancelled. When you have folk comparing it to ebola though... that's when it gets silly.
  • THE_5_NIGHTMARES
    208 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    wtf next promo player dont have coronavirus got inf xd :D<3 lets go EA
  • HishamAyman
    3232 posts National Call-Up
    Stupid af, cant they just play with no fans? Players are basically working, and I dont see our offices being closed too
  • Fab
    19467 posts World Class
    Stupid af, cant they just play with no fans? Players are basically working, and I dont see our offices being closed too

the employees in your office are probably not worth MILLIONS of EUROs!!çè
  • DaMMian
    1065 posts Professional
    Human life is the most important thing and this is the best thing that God created and for me, sport comes to the background in such cases. If someone diminishes the problem and is happy about it is just a fool in my opinion.
  • SuperKMx
    1725 posts Play-Off Hero

Or how about we just try to keep people safe and realise that football isn't as important as that?

And many offices are closed in parts of Italy, too. As well as clubs, museums, cinemas, schools, gyms...
  • Ishibum

That moment when you realise you're totally expendable :lol:
  • Mat2403
    278 posts Sunday League Hero
    SuperKMx wrote: »
    IxToMxI wrote: »
    Corona Virus is all non sense, every one loves to believe a headline story on the news whilst blatantly ignoring probability and statistics.

It’s effectively a variation of flu. Unless your super old or have extreme underlying health issues it will never effect you.

How many people round the world have flu right now and how many people does it kill each year. I can’t make any sense of it will be Ebola forgotten about within a month

Some of us worry about more than just ourselves, though.

I would likely get through it just fine. But what about when I pass it on to someone who has a compromised immune system who may or may not be aware of that fact?

Headline story or not, if you're fit and healthy, you aren't taking precautions to protect yourself. You're taking precautions to help protect those that need to be protected.

Also, the flu kills tens of thousands of people per year.

Wrong flu kills 500,000 people annually a year. John Hopkins research shows if you are under 50 years old and have no underlying health conditions and you catch it you have a 0.2% chance of mortality. Regardless of age and health you have a 2% of dying

Sars killed 10% of all people contracting it in 2003 affecting 26 countries - what changed between now and then is the way we consume news.

Its serious but people are panicking - remember if you buy all the hand sanitiser in the store that means others cant to clean their hands
  • HishamAyman
    edited March 8
    Ishibum wrote: »

Feels good doesnt it :D
  • Ishibum

Speak for yourself. I have the capability to work from home (and will tell my team to do likewise as soon as we have a case reported in this country). ;)
  • HishamAyman

Speak for yourself. I have the capability to work from home (and will tell my team to do likewise as soon as we have a case reported in this country). ;)

You hiring?
  • Ishibum

You hiring?

Nah. You can thank the coronavirus for tanking the share price :lol:
  • munchie63
    3422 posts National Call-Up
    edited March 8
    Corona Virus is all non sense, every one loves to believe a headline story on the news whilst blatantly ignoring probability and statistics.

It’s effectively a variation of flu. Unless your super old or have extreme underlying health issues it will never effect you.

How many people round the world have flu right now and how many people does it kill each year. I can’t make any sense of it will be Ebola forgotten about within a month

at last a research scientist with a medical background to give us a real insight

oh wait....its a 23yr old postman from Norwich
  • Retro_G
    32746 posts National Team Captain
    edited March 8

You shouldn't believe all the nonsense in the papers playing down the seriousness of the virus. Governments don't want to create panic, are reactive instead of proactive to lessen the impact on the economy.

Do some proper research, look up credible sources. It's a lot more serious than a common flu that has a less than 1% fatality rate. It's a variation of the SARS, MARS virus. The Spanish Flu killed 50 million people, had a 5.2% fatally rate. Going by the numbers out there now, COVID-19 has a 5.6% fatality rate, but that could be a lot higher due to China not accurately recording numbers.
  • Retropoe82
    1198 posts Professional
    edited March 8
    We only get part of the story from the press or shall we say 'what we need to see' tbf i think its pretty serious.
    Takes me back to a game i played on my phone called plague

Both f1 an motogp have cancelled future races till further notice. Some riders can't even go home rossi one of them
  • SuperKMx
    1725 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited March 8
    Mat2403 wrote: »
    SuperKMx wrote: »

Some of us worry about more than just ourselves, though.

I would likely get through it just fine. But what about when I pass it on to someone who has a compromised immune system who may or may not be aware of that fact?

Headline story or not, if you're fit and healthy, you aren't taking precautions to protect yourself. You're taking precautions to help protect those that need to be protected.

Also, the flu kills tens of thousands of people per year.

Wrong flu kills 500,000 people annually a year. John Hopkins research shows if you are under 50 years old and have no underlying health conditions and you catch it you have a 0.2% chance of mortality. Regardless of age and health you have a 2% of dying

Sars killed 10% of all people contracting it in 2003 affecting 26 countries - what changed between now and then is the way we consume news.

Its serious but people are panicking - remember if you buy all the hand sanitiser in the store that means others cant to clean their hands

I love it when people start a reply with "WRONG."

Plus 500,000 is tens of thousands. Fifty ten thousand. :smile:

Also, I didn't suggest everyone should buy all the hand sanitizer in the store. Was just saying "LOL LOOK AT PROBABILITIES OF YOU DYING. YOU'RE OVER REACTING. SCREW EVERYONE ELSE!" is a really crappy way of acting.
  • JIKIJI
    2 posts Ball Boy
    I think the coronavirus is on a similar level to the Spanish flu and perhaps deadlier but I don't think it will kill 50M as we are better prepared for it.
    Having said that, people who think the flu is a lot worse seriously needs to reconsider. Yes you might be in a safe group but think about your parents/grandparents and friends with underlying health conditions who are at risk.
    -
    Any-who, I do have a question, if Serie A gets cancelled what does it mean for Italian teams in Champions League? Imagine Valencia losing but getting through because Atalanta has no stadium to play in, 2020 is such a weird year.
  • Ballist1x
    3718 posts National Call-Up
    Cancel Europe 2020

Wait till utd get 4th place then freeze positions and say that is the final position of the season.
  • DFC1983
    1237 posts Professional
    Ballist1x wrote: »
    Cancel Europe 2020

Wait till utd get 4th place then freeze positions and say that is the final position of the season.

Utd 4th? :joy:
  • forearms
    5103 posts Big Money Move
    And now all sports including Serie A are suspended in Italy.
  • Sodan70
    1105 posts Professional
    Imagine if the communist Chinese regime had listened to that young doctor (29 y.o) who died instead of denying everything in the beginning.
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    15480 posts World Class
    DFC1983 wrote: »
    Ballist1x wrote: »
    Cancel Europe 2020

Utd 4th? :joy:

You say that like we're miles away 😂😂
  • Retro_G
    32746 posts National Team Captain
    Sodan70 wrote: »
    Imagine if the communist Chinese regime had listened to that young doctor (29 y.o) who died instead of denying everything in the beginning.

That doctor was healthy too, RIP.
  • I think this means all Italian teams will forfit there European games as they have cancelled all games until April.
  • PiotrLolo
    2050 posts Fans' Favourite
    gg
  • BondJame5Collins
    1916 posts Fans' Favourite
    Meanwhile, Boris Johnson wants us to "take it on the chin"
  • munchie63
    3422 posts National Call-Up
    I think this means all Italian teams will forfit there European games as they have cancelled all games until April.

I doubt that. Possibly play away or loom for a neutral venue. And obviously moan about it.

I read an article today that hinted at lower league teams being against any behind closed doors games as they would lose gate revenue, and many rely on that bi-weekly money to keep afloat.

Bigger picture though

still no news on how England expect to Play Italy at Wembley in 3 weeks time. A game due to use ticketless entry as a test for Euro 2020 (tickets on phones etc).
  • n2j2000
    2475 posts Fans' Favourite
    Serie A officially suspended.
  • EisenErmin
    8567 posts League Winner
    n2j2000 wrote: »
    Serie A officially suspended.

Source? @n2j2000
  • BondJame5Collins
    1916 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited March 9
    DAZ2u wrote: »
    Zeke1216 wrote: »
    Any Italians here ? How bad is it in Italy right now ?

Where i live, they closed it down.

People went in panic and went to buy train tickets and stuff like that.

Sport is the same, many matches not played

This is simply not true.