The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• wheelerdeeler
    6816 posts Big Money Move
    If I see a more nothing game than that one this season I’ll be genuinely impressed.

Joe Bryan playing Right-Winger last 10 minutes just about sums that one up.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Another Clean Sheet though I suppose. Don’t think we’ll be keeping one at the weekend somehow, but Hector’s definitely improved our defence infinitely.

Although with that said 2 Points in our away games to Barnsley, Charlton and Luton just isn’t good enough. Can use the injury excuse for today, but we were so poor in the final third.
  • Dizzy Bala
    3757 posts National Call-Up
    It's a shame we've blown four points from winning positions against Reading but I won't complain about being unbeaten in seven games with five wins and two draws.

Said it before but as far as I'm concerned, the Championship is the top league. You can keep your VAR, your all over the place fixtures and perpetual over-analysis.

Feel quite lucky for us to be in the position we're in right now. Club's run well, we're winning quite a bit and we've got some decent players.
  • BristolMDF
    1011 posts Professional
    Lard_Lad wrote: »
    @BristolMDF @mott1993

Josh Brownhill, talk to me? Been linked with him recently, any good?

I’m probably in the minority but for me he’s a bit overrated and looks better this season purely because of how ❤️❤️❤️❤️ awful our entire squad is playing - but for me that’s down to crap coaching not individuals lack of quality.

Decent enough player don’t get me wrong, but not convinced he’s PL quality. But Wilder gets another 50% out of everyone so at the right club maybe....bit like Luke Freeman for me, one good season and everyone seems to think he’s brilliant, whereas he didn’t do all that much before that good patch.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Dizzy Bala wrote: »
    It's a shame we've blown four points from winning positions against Reading but I won't complain about being unbeaten in seven games with five wins and two draws.

Said it before but as far as I'm concerned, the Championship is the top league. You can keep your VAR, your all over the place fixtures and perpetual over-analysis.

Feel quite lucky for us to be in the position we're in right now. Club's run well, we're winning quite a bit and we've got some decent players.

I think Bournemouth are actually quite a good example of why I'm not that fussed about the Premier League in the sense that I want promotion because I want us to win every game, but I don't actually want to be in the Prem if that makes sense (last season of course not really helping matters).

Bournemouth have been in the Prem for 5 years (?) now, and all they've really done is waste a load of money with nothing tangible to show for it. They're still starting half the team that got them promoted, they've still got a 10k capacity stadium, haven't had any of the mythical "cup runs". If they do get relegated they must have such an inflated wage bill and they've got players like Solanke and Jordon Ibe that they've massively overspent on who I don't think will even be that good in the Championship next season for them.

With exceptions like Wolves and Sheffield Utd the role of the "smaller" teams in the Prem is basically just to lose to the big teams (obviously Man Utd and Arsenal especially are going out of their way to be inclusive lately) and eventually get relegated.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Although with all that said, if I never have to watch a game like I did tonight ever again it'll be too soon. That was when the Championship is just really bad, because there's absolutely no quality on the pitch and it was just a completely nothing game of Football.
  • Dizzy Bala
    Agree @wheelerdeeler - For every Wolves and Leicester, you've got a Boro or a Cardiff or a Fulham who have a fantastic Championship season and then the next they're tumbling back into the Championship.

I'd rather stick with the Championship because while it's still loopy at times, there is still some semblance of normality. I couldn't be arsed with VAR and idiots like Danny Murphy talking about us every week.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited January 23
    For me, obviously the absolutely dire Football probably contributed to this feeling. But the Prem just felt so "clean" and sterilised being in it last season. Even down to them making everyone play the same generic "theme song" before every game. It's all just so branded now.

There's still a bit of dirt under the finger nails in the Championship where you can get games like Luton where the ground is absolutely terrible and the away end entrance is through someones back garden. And it's just a brilliantly mental league where you don't know what you'll get week to week. This season especially now that Leeds and West Brom have been roped back into it and there's no blow away team like a Wolves, it's genuinely everyone can beat everyone.
  • Akinfenwaaaa
    4233 posts National Call-Up
    I'd just like one season up there for a laugh. Would happily bin off the millions you get for being there, as well as the parachute payments.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited January 23
    Been linked with Sporting and Roma in the space of about 6 months. Must have a mental agent. He has improved this season to be fair, but still.
  • Lard_Lad
    12691 posts Has That Special Something
    Last season I’d have agreed with you re Prem, but gonna be honest I’m loving every second of it. Yeah the fixture changes are a ball ache and VAR is a joke. But having Bramall Lane sold out every week, going toe to toe with some of the biggest teams on the planet and playing excellent football along the way. I’m loving every minute of it and I hope it never ends.
  • Lard_Lad
    For me, obviously the absolutely dire Football probably contributed to this feeling. But the Prem just felt so "clean" and sterilised being in it last season. Even down to them making everyone play the same generic "theme song" before every game. It's all just so branded now.

There's still a bit of dirt under the finger nails in the Championship where you can get games like Luton where the ground is absolutely terrible and the away end entrance is through someones back garden. And it's just a brilliantly mental league where you don't know what you'll get week to week. This season especially now that Leeds and West Brom have been roped back into it and there's no blow away team like a Wolves, it's genuinely everyone can beat everyone.

Which generic theme song is that? Our pre match music hasn’t changed from last season apart from our walk out music (comeback kid, Kasabian)
  • Lard_Lad
    One thing I do hate is the diving and how easily players go down and the ref buys it, although that’s happening in the championship as well now.
  • mott1993
    914 posts Semi-Pro

Which generic theme song is that? Our pre match music hasn’t changed from last season apart from our walk out music (comeback kid, Kasabian)

I imagine it’s the one they play when the players shake hands before the game
  • BristolMDF
    1011 posts Professional
    @james2060 local rag linking us with Toney. Is he good enough to hit the ground running in a higher division? I’m pretty ignorant of anything below the championship these days.
  • james2060
    2934 posts Fans' Favourite
    Yeah, more than good enough, he strolls through games in this league. Good luck getting him this window though.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Happy with this. Been really good for us this season, just needs to add some more goals. Imagine it's the same as the Cavaleiro one where this means we've got a loan signing pending as well.
  • wheelerdeeler
    mott1993 wrote: »

I imagine it’s the one they play when the players shake hands before the game

Yeah this. Not saying us playing Kanye West and Rihanna "All of the Lights" is a long standing Fulham tradition dating back to when the club was formed, but at least there's variation in the league. Think Barnsley play the Knight Rider theme.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Orsic is going to West Brom, right? Could be a fun Championship card if he gets another Inform.
  • BristolMDF
    1011 posts Professional
    edited January 25
    james2060 wrote: »
    Yeah, more than good enough, he strolls through games in this league. Good luck getting him this window though.

Yeah don’t see it personally. Though with D Mac publicly praising us for the Szmodics deal maybe we might have a sniff. Who knows. Depends if we manage to pull off Nakhi Wells or not I guess as can’t imagine we’d try to sign both.
  • james2060
    2934 posts Fans' Favourite
    And Eisa in the summer. £10 mil and throw in Szmodics in the summer and you'll probably be close.
  • Lard_Lad
    Another positive of being in the prem is you don’t have to play on pitches like this Millwall one
  • Hicksy2011
    15849 posts World Class
    Everything is going to be great forever
  • wheelerdeeler
    Coventry/Birmingham going to a replay is the highlight of the day by far.

Actually been a decent day for us to be fair. Swansea losing and West Brom have got an extra game. Happy we've played Stoke twice already, because it looks like they're finally picking up a bit.
  • NornIron
    13551 posts Has That Special Something
    O'Neill doing some job just seen a stats thing where they were top 5 at basically everything in the league.
  • Karlos
    24377 posts Club Captain
    edited January 25
    Post edited by Karlos on
  • Dizzy Bala
    I'd just like one season up there for a laugh. Would happily bin off the millions you get for being there, as well as the parachute payments.

To be fair, explaining Millwall to viewers from overseas would be hilarious. That'd be worth a watch every week.
  • ryan217
    2910 posts Fans' Favourite
    @Handy Andy Did you hear any racist chanting from City fans today?
  • wheelerdeeler
    Found out today that the 5th Round games are midweek. Happy we got City now.