how do we get 5 bar latency?

golazo
1615 posts Fans' Favourite
i have 300 down but never get 5 bars. hear people say its the ping. so what does the ping have to be to get 5 bars?

Comments

• RadioShaq
    15880 posts Moderator
    Think it was 25 ms or lower not sure if it’s still that this year.
  • GetDefoeKuyt
    1396 posts Professional
    Doesn’t matter

I’ve had 1 bar games play smoother than 5 bar games. I honestly think it bears no relevance on your connection to opponent.
  • Roc_Xel
    1255 posts Professional
    Dont worry. Have 5 bars each of my games, always. Still got my players stuck in mud.
  • d3b4s1s
    620 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Bars probably indicate ‘your’ connection to the server is good, but if the servers are screwed, which they clearly are, nothing will help.
  • Queens11
    2128 posts Fans' Favourite
    golazo wrote: »
    i have 300 down but never get 5 bars. hear people say its the ping. so what does the ping have to be to get 5 bars?

Wouldn’t worry I get nothing but 5 bars yet game is still an unplayable delay fest majority of the time
  • BenGriggs420
    497 posts An Exciting Prospect
    5 bars? Unheard of for me.
    Usually 3, sometimes 4 when the opponent logs in.
  • ironawin1
    1095 posts Professional

Ping is how long it takes to connect to their servers. To get 5 bars, you will need a latency of 25ms or lower. So if you are living close to a server, the chances are high that it takes 25 ms or less to connect to their server from your connection. If you live further away, it may take longer than 25 ms to connect to their server so you will never get a 5 bar connection even if you have 300MB down.
  • Keepthechange
    1666 posts Play-Off Hero
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    Think it was 25 ms or lower not sure if it’s still that this year.

I play on 4 bars and my ping to the server is 270ms, I think they need to start showing the ping rather than bars.
  • ironawin1
    1095 posts Professional
    Mind you, i live in the Caribbean. And i have a fiber optic connection. I only get 3 bars because of the distance to USA. When i had a copper connection, i had 2 bars. God knows how good i could be if i had a 5 bar connection
  • NornIron
    13557 posts Has That Special Something
    Doesn't matter I get 5 bars every match, the newest patch has improved things a little but it was unplayable before.
  • BeastlyHusla
    5823 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 23
    I used to have 300mb download with router 10cm from my console wired up. Would always get 4bars, odd times 5 bars.

I get 4 bars using hotspot...
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    15579 posts World Class
    I don't play anything less than 5 bars and the delay is still horrendous.
  • Boysie91
    11134 posts Has That Special Something
    My bars never stay 5 it flickers between 4/5 constantly.
  • Fab
    19467 posts World Class
    well see fella that's where you're already going wrong it's not the download speed that's so important it's the latency
  • golazo
    I get 13 ping with 300 down. Don’t get why I only get 4 bars. Live in Los Angeles. I think a sever in Santa Monica but might be wrong.
  • golazo
    I always get matched up with people from Mexico. Could that be the reason? I face them almost 90% of games. It’s crazy
  • browney1888
    548 posts An Exciting Prospect
    4 bar games play better than 5 bar games for me

esp the ones that shoot right into the game when i press confirm
  • malky
    525 posts An Exciting Prospect

The lower the ping the better....A ping over 150 ms will cause lag....last time I checked my ping was 32. 12mbps download is more than enough for gaming lol....Can you log into your router? If so checked what db's your noise margin is.....if this is too low this will cause errors on your line and will 100% cause lag.....it should be around 6 unless you live in a remote part ybe it should be about 9......do you use a wired or wireless connection?
  • malky
    At least this applies in Scotland anyway.....Sorry had no idea you guys were on the other side of the world lol
  • golazo
    malky wrote: »

The lower the ping the better....A ping over 150 ms will cause lag....last time I checked my ping was 32. 12mbps download is more than enough for gaming lol....Can you log into your router? If so checked what db's your noise margin is.....if this is too low this will cause errors on your line and will 100% cause lag.....it should be around 6 unless you live in a remote part ybe it should be about 9......do you use a wired or wireless connection?

Yes I use wired. I get 10-13 ping. Thought that was to high since laggy games. Dont know about “noise margin” though.
  • malky
    Can you log into your router/hub?
  • TheKillers246
    1189 posts Professional
    I get 5 bars but it dosen't make any difference to 4, still *.
  • golazo
    malky wrote: »
    Can you log into your router/hub?

I’ll try in a bit when I get home from work. What am I looking for?
  • malky
    Go to advaned settings then click Technical information.....scroll down to noise margin and tell me the figure👍
  • Chavez76
    5552 posts Big Money Move
    always 5 bar, says nothing on the connection.
  • Dave2791
    1190 posts Professional
    So is there anything we can do to improve things? Or will it airways depend on how far we are from servers?

I'd really appreciate if someone could give some tips of a few things we could do to at least slightly improve our connection.