The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on Console & on PC and includes the changes listed here.

The Football thread: THE CHAMPIONS

Comments

• Southgatology
    1469 posts Professional
    Saw an article where Liverpool’s group of scientists reckon United had the best chance of anyone we’ve played so far this season and gave them a 7% chance of winning :D

They aren’t surprised in the slightest that we’ve won 20/21.

My god. What even is this 😂 guys you’re a really good team, not sure why you need **** ‘scientists’ to verify it
  • Kennyy
    139 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Saw an article where Liverpool’s group of scientists reckon United had the best chance of anyone we’ve played so far this season and gave them a 7% chance of winning :D

My god. What even is this 😂 guys you’re a really good team, not sure why you need **** ‘scientists’ to verify it

Sports scientists and analysts are a huge part of the game these days.
  • Crossland
    9203 posts League Winner
    Kennyy wrote: »

Sports scientists and analysts are a huge part of the game these days.

Yep they definatly are,it's a huge part of football
  • LFC Simon 98
    18913 posts World Class

They are literally half the reason we are where we are. Klopp has said on numerous occasions it was the biggest factor in him taking the job that we had developed these facilities and he loved the work going into it.

These ‘scientists’ are the ones who pick who we sign. Klopp openly admitted recently he didn’t want Salah in the first place but Edwards was adamant he would work due to analysis. Similar story with Robertson.
  • Summer69
    1441 posts Professional
    I still remember how everyone was laughing when you bought salah (including me) - a Chelsea reject, the one season wonder has done quite well I have to admit.
  • Tornado31619
    19449 posts World Class

They are literally half the reason we are where we are. Klopp has said on numerous occasions it was the biggest factor in him taking the job that we had developed these facilities and he loved the work going into it.

These ‘scientists’ are the ones who pick who we sign. Klopp openly admitted recently he didn’t want Salah in the first place but Edwards was adamant he would work due to analysis. Similar story with Robertson.

Klopp’s a fraud confirmed :trollface:
  • Fab
    19200 posts World Class

damn arsenal's data scientists got xhaka and mustafi
  • LFC Simon 98
    18913 posts World Class
    Summer69 wrote: »
    I still remember how everyone was laughing when you bought salah (including me) - a Chelsea reject, the one season wonder has done quite well I have to admit.

I remember being linked with a few wingers at the time and missed out on them. Most fans weren’t disappointed by Salah but weren’t overjoyed. 85 goals and 36 assists in 132 games ain’t bad for £30mil

I actually think the more surprising transfer was Mane. We signed him the same week as United got Mikki and he was branded a flop before he’d even kicked a ball because of his ‘overpriced’ transfer fee.

Again, both players were signed because their statistics (not goals and assists but all the little things) in games appealed to the scientists. Good thing they know more than Dave from twitter I guess.
  • Pietu
    5388 posts Big Money Move

I remember being linked with a few wingers at the time and missed out on them. Most fans weren’t disappointed by Salah but weren’t overjoyed. 85 goals and 36 assists in 132 games ain’t bad for £30mil

I actually think the more surprising transfer was Mane. We signed him the same week as United got Mikki and he was branded a flop before he’d even kicked a ball because of his ‘overpriced’ transfer fee.

Again, both players were signed because their statistics (not goals and assists but all the little things) in games appealed to the scientists. Good thing they know more than Dave from twitter I guess.

I remember the Depay - Firmino times aswell. Apparently Depay was the better signing.
  • Pugzilla
    17157 posts World Class

I read, and posted the article in the Liverpool thread years ago, that our main data guy is an Ivy League mathematician. He developed an algorithm to look at “all the little things” like you mentioned and got hired at Liverpool. Klopp even was hired because the season he was fired he finished like 10th but his expected finish, factoring all the bad luck according to this algorithm was actually 2nd. Fascinating read and I wish I still had the article but it was a while ago.

• ORANGEeffect05
    23174 posts Club Captain
    Looking likely Eriksen moves to Inter this window and Spurs get a little bit of cash for him at least.
  • LFC Simon 98
    18913 posts World Class
    Pugzilla wrote: »

I read, and posted the article in the Liverpool thread years ago, that our main data guy is an Ivy League mathematician. He developed an algorithm to look at “all the little things” like you mentioned and got hired at Liverpool. Klopp even was hired because the season he was fired he finished like 10th but his expected finish, factoring all the bad luck according to this algorithm was actually 2nd. Fascinating read and I wish I still had the article but it was a while ago.

I recall that. And the obsession with Klopp where he took him in, sat him down and told him although the league table had them in midtable on our fake charts the Dortmund team was comfortably second. Was a very good read and I will go digging for it later.

Klopp had the foundations put in place for him before he was even aware we wanted him. But his ability to make ‘average’ players into top quality is crazy. I mean look at Matip, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Gini, Hendo, Robbo, even Divock and the fringe players. None of them were bad or anything, but just quite average when joining. Basically 3 years ago none of them would have been considered good enough to start for a Champions league winning side.
  • Crossland
    9203 posts League Winner
    edited January 16

I recall that. And the obsession with Klopp where he took him in, sat him down and told him although the league table had them in midtable on our fake charts the Dortmund team was comfortably second. Was a very good read and I will go digging for it later.

Klopp had the foundations put in place for him before he was even aware we wanted him. But his ability to make ‘average’ players into top quality is crazy. I mean look at Matip, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Gini, Hendo, Robbo, even Divock and the fringe players. None of them were bad or anything, but just quite average when joining. Basically 3 years ago none of them would have been considered good enough to start for a Champions league winning side.

Klopp' s work at Liverpool has been nothing short of mind blowing he's literally turned them from the biggest flops into the best team in Europe by a country mile,as you say his ability to turn mediocre players into world beaters is extrodinary,but Liverpool still always have to remember this could all change so quickly I mean look at City a few years ago you would have put big money on them dominating English football for the next 5 years especially with Pep at the helm,now look at them they look like schoolboys compared to Pool,how fast things changed
  • LFC Simon 98
    18913 posts World Class
    Crossland wrote: »

Klopp' s work at Liverpool has been nothing short of mind blowing he's literally turned them from the biggest flops into the best team in Europe by a country mile,as you say his ability to turn mediocre players into world beaters is extrodinary,but Liverpool still always have to remember this could all change so quickly I mean look at City a few years ago you would have put big money on them dominating English football for the next 5 years especially with Pep at the helm,now look at them they look like schoolboys compared to Pool,how fast things changed

Ohh don’t worry I’m fully aware how easily we will slip back into the top 4 battling category. Just trying to enjoy it while it lasts.

Also, City ain’t even that bad. They’re only 6 points behind where they were last season. We’ve just managed to get better somehow
  • Finesse_4days
    8697 posts League Winner
    I think calling players like Wijnaldum and Firmino 'mediocre' is disrespectful TBF they were never amazing players but all the players listed had a lot of talent and were pretty good players as it was just not top level world class players, Klopp has got the best out of them but players like Salah and Mane were good players before hand its not like they were unknowns. Obviously they are now playing at a world class level, so they have improved loads but personally unless you are comparing to the standards of Barcelona a few years back I wouldn't call them 'mediocre'.
  • Finesse_4days
    8697 posts League Winner
    I think City are still a top team as well, the only thing that has changed is Laporte is injured, Kompany has gone so they lack depth in defence and Liverpool are making them look bad with an unbelievable amount of points.
  • LFC Simon 98
    18913 posts World Class
    I think calling players like Wijnaldum and Firmino 'mediocre' is disrespectful TBF they were never amazing players but all the players listed had a lot of talent and were pretty good players as it was just not top level world class players, Klopp has got the best out of them but players like Salah and Mane were good players before hand its not like they were unknowns. Obviously they are now playing at a world class level, so they have improved loads but personally unless you are comparing to the standards of Barcelona a few years back I wouldn't call them 'mediocre'.

Gini was decent for a Newcastle team that got relegated but completely gave up on the team towards the end of the season and IIRC the fans weren’t pleased at all (unsurprisingly), showed a complete lack of mentality

Firmino was decent at Hoffenheim but again nothing special and initially awful for us. Took him like 22 games before he got his first goal (Mind you Rodgers playing him RWB wasn’t exactly peak)

Mane was as I said labelled a flop before he’d kicked a ball and everyone thought we overpaid a lot with his £35mil price tag (most expensive African ever at the time)

Salah we got rinsed for signing and was constantly talked about as having pace and nothing else. His entire first season he was already being talked about as a one season wonder.

They were literally average (Or slightly above) premier league quality players. Those 4 specifically are now world class. And there’s so much of that down to Klopp.

I could make the same point for Matip, Lovren, VVD (he was a great player when he signed but nowhere near the level he’s at now), Lallana, Hendo, Robertson, Milner even.
  • LFC Simon 98
    18913 posts World Class
    I think City are still a top team as well, the only thing that has changed is Laporte is injured, Kompany has gone so they lack depth in defence and Liverpool are making them look bad with an unbelievable amount of points.

This I do agree with. City are fine. They need a CB yes but they’ll get one in the summer I’m sure. They also could do with a LB but then again they walked the league with Delph/Danilo there 2 years back.
  • Tornado31619
    19449 posts World Class
    Neymar is reportedly ready to extend his deal :o
  • holdenwait
    60194 posts Icon
    edited January 17
    <3

• Southgatology
    1469 posts Professional

Gini was decent for a Newcastle team that got relegated but completely gave up on the team towards the end of the season and IIRC the fans weren’t pleased at all (unsurprisingly), showed a complete lack of mentality

Firmino was decent at Hoffenheim but again nothing special and initially awful for us. Took him like 22 games before he got his first goal (Mind you Rodgers playing him RWB wasn’t exactly peak)

Mane was as I said labelled a flop before he’d kicked a ball and everyone thought we overpaid a lot with his £35mil price tag (most expensive African ever at the time)

Salah we got rinsed for signing and was constantly talked about as having pace and nothing else. His entire first season he was already being talked about as a one season wonder.

They were literally average (Or slightly above) premier league quality players. Those 4 specifically are now world class. And there’s so much of that down to Klopp.

I could make the same point for Matip, Lovren, VVD (he was a great player when he signed but nowhere near the level he’s at now), Lallana, Hendo, Robertson, Milner even.

I agree that Klopp has improved them all but you’re completely discrediting Mane tbh. Don’t know who called him a flop, he already had 21 PL goals and a hat trick over City whilst in an average Southampton team.

Salah for £30m wasn’t a bad signing at the time either. 14 and 15 serie A goals in the two previous seasons isn’t that bad. Also the ‘one season wonder’ stuff is clearly a joke 😅

Firmino was already a Brazilian international when you signed him and was highly thought of too.
  • Finesse_4days
    8697 posts League Winner
    edited January 17

As much as it makes me sound like an aloof ❤️❤️❤️❤️ for saying this, the opinions of people who are reactionary from one extreme to another on social media calling good players ❤️❤️❤️❤️ because they have failed to live up to their talent after little opportunity or saying someone is mediocre due to their price tag is not in any way how to judge a players starting out level after signing.I agree with the point you have in the main, but at the time Mane was called a bad signing by people not really knowing what they are on about the same with Salah to a lesser extent, but it was obvious they were good players with the physical attributes to be world
    class just not the finished article.
    I 100% agree klopp has done great but dont forget a system with the right combination of players and tactics with a great team spirit can make players seem alot better. Milner is a decent player but he always has been, he was a great talent at Leeds about 17 to 20 years ago. Put him in the Aston villa midfield right now and he wouldnt be the same player.
  • TomOTW
    672 posts An Exciting Prospect

It's their own fault they lack 'depth' though, their defensive players (including keepers) currently in the first team have cost 390 million.
    Liverpool's cost 170 million.

Poor signings and poor coaching is what's caused the mess at the back for City, not Laporte being injured (granted that hasn't helped.)
  • Crossland
    9203 posts League Winner
    TomOTW wrote: »

It's their own fault they lack 'depth' though, their defensive players (including keepers) currently in the first team have cost 390 million.
    Liverpool's cost 170 million.

Poor signings and poor coaching is what's caused the mess at the back for City, not Laporte being injured (granted that hasn't helped.)

Agreed
  • Alemas_2012
    16564 posts World Class
    Oh wow, they are LEARNING.

...only for red card decisions though, not penalties.
    But... slowly but surely.
  • arsenalap
    7084 posts Big Money Move

As much as people take the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ I think this is from us speaking Aubas red card.

Our appeal was based on Robertson not being sent off but Auba being sent off.
  • Alex_cr
    5746 posts Big Money Move
    arsenalap wrote: »

As much as people take the **** I think this is from us speaking Aubas red card.

Our appeal was based on Robertson not being sent off but Auba being sent off.

Meeting was planned long before that and was always in the pipeline.

I just don’t understand how it took so long to do what everyone else is already doing!
  • Tornado31619
    19449 posts World Class
    Seems like they were trying to phase it in.
  • jenksiee123
    22724 posts Club Captain
    Loving the Bundesliga this season