The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    Lard_Lad wrote: »
    Who’s gonna do us all a favour and catch Leeds, there game against Arsenal showed just how unbearable having them in the Prem would be, and another bottle job would be spectacular.

Brentford IMO
  • wheelerdeeler
    7389 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 12
    Yeah, if you were backing anyone at the moment it would be Brentford. Think so much depends on this window now for a lot of teams though for who comes in and who goes (including Leeds and West Brom).

Put it this way, a lot of teams in and around the Top 6 won't have a better chance of getting at least Play-Offs than they will this season with how bad the league is in general. Only have to look at the form of the Top 10 where nobody has won more than 3 of their last 5 and West Brom have gone back top when they haven't won a game in a month. And with that in mind I could see quite a few teams push the boat out a bit with who they go after this January.
  • BrentfordFC
    13442 posts Has That Special Something
    Wish I could have this much hope as you guys :lol:

I’ve seen gloomy days at griffin park. Especially during the relegation times.

And this season. Standing in Ealing road and being 2-0 down to Milwall with us just above relegation zone. And hearing our fans chant to our manager: You’re getting sacked in the morning. How times have changed in 3 months :blush:
  • wheelerdeeler
    Can't even say this one is doing a Fulham. We only lost 2-0 to City at home.
  • DoD_Jester
    27288 posts Player of the Year
    Hi guys

Villa fan checking in ready for next season
  • Hicksy2011
    16954 posts World Class

Given I’m normally being negative
    I really do think there is some great quality in this team, it’s part of the reason I have been getting so frustrated
    I mean the ball from Harness on his weaker foot and then the cross and header are all quality
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional

Even Port Vale made a better fist of it and they didn’t spend £135m in the summer :joy:
  • iHilarious
    13301 posts Has That Special Something
  • wheelerdeeler
    Let's hope he's got a secure iCloud.
  • wheelerdeeler
    BristolMDF wrote: »

Even Port Vale made a better fist of it and they didn’t spend £135m in the summer :joy:

Don't forget though, Smith said in his interview after that they need even more signings. If they end up signing Lazar Markovic on Deadline Day then the prophecy will be nearly complete.
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional

Don't forget though, Smith said in his interview after that they need even more signings. If they end up signing Lazar Markovic on Deadline Day then the prophecy will be nearly complete.

Yeah to be fair it's not like he's been backed in the market. Always thought he was a bit overrated at Brentford if I'm being completely honest. I reckon my Nan could have got that Villa side out of the Championship.
  • AtomicOdin
    1161 posts Professional
    edited January 13
    Our local rag have said that saturday at crawley was the worst we have played this season. I find that hard to believe after seeing some of our performances this season. Its not possible to be any worse than in some of those games. Think we must have one of the worst away records in the country as well, not won away since 12th of oct and only managed 2 away wins this season.

If it wasnt for the fact we are hard to beat at home we would be in another relegation battle. Bowyer is losing the fans due to his fear of losing, sets us up to not lose every game we play, which means we pass the ball around the back for most of the game and very rarely attack teams. We have arguably the best attack in the league who are at their best attacking balls played into the box, yet they are having to feed on scraps and long punts from the back. We have fast skillful wingers who scare the life out of fullbacks but they either dont get used or are played out of position.

Any manager with an ounce of tactical sense would have this squad sat comfortably at the top of the table. Yet we are stuck with bland bowyer who seems to be doing his best to put the population of bradford off of football for life.

rant over
  • NornIron
    13808 posts Has That Special Something
    Sunderland's announced Lafferty with.

''He's seven foot and he plays the flute ''

But it's been removed.

• wheelerdeeler
    Getting linked with Dwight Gayle again. We've genuinely been linked with him pretty consistently for about 5 years now. Hope we sign him just so it'll stop.
  • james2060
    2961 posts Fans' Favourite
    Will Grigg goes from a £4m signing to a loan target for Salford and Swindon in a year. Crazy.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited January 14

Yeah to be fair it's not like he's been backed in the market. Always thought he was a bit overrated at Brentford if I'm being completely honest. I reckon my Nan could have got that Villa side out of the Championship.

It is a bit of a mental team when you look at it now with Abraham, Grealish, Mings (I know they only got him in January), McGinn etc. Although we'd probably be saying the same about the Derby team they beat in the final with Mount, Tomori, H. Wilson, Jayden Bogle etc.

I've always rated him since he was with Brentford, but I think I said it on here when Villa were having a bad run last season. It's seemingly very hard to do badly with Brentford just with the way the club's run in general. They've been on a pretty consistent upward trajectory for 7 or 8 years now and as said the other day you wouldn't bet against them being in the Prem next season and would be more likely to do a Sheffield Utd than a Villa.

I do feel for him a bit because they've ran into the same problem we did that they had so many players on loan when they went up that they had to spend 40-50m just to get the squad back to where it was when they went up and we kept our Striker. Villa went from Abraham to Wesley.

And then they've padded their squad out with permanents rather than loans like we did which why they've spent an extra 30-40m on top of what we did- but they're also learning that (with a few exceptions) in this market a ~10m player isn't even that good by Prem standards anymore. Thinking players like Nakamba and Engels who were both useless when we played them in the Cup.

Although Villa didn't even spend money that well in the Championship under Smith considering they wasted 6-7m on Lovre Kalinic who played like two games before they realised he was a bit **** so it probably shouldn't be a surprise that they largely wasted quite a bit of their money.
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    It's just the 'chuck money at it til it's fixed' attitude that grates on me, not just Villa specifically but pretty much everyone these days, ourselves included.

But in Villa's case, completely reckless financially in the Championship, basically bet the house on black and lucky for them it came up, would have loved to see a parallel universe to see the ramifications if they'd not gone up.

Then having seemingly avoided financial crisis by the skin of their teeth...."shall we be a bit more sensible this time lads?" Nah, ❤️❤️❤️❤️ it, chuck £135m at it and then moan in January that you need reinforcements :lol:

Makes me very happy to see a team like Sheffield United doing brilliantly through excellent coaching than a team who just chuck cash at something til it clicks.
  • BrentfordFC
    13442 posts Has That Special Something

Tbh he did well for us at home. However his away form was abysmal. And with him leaving us last season it did affect the whole team. But I agree with the last bit. He inherited a decent squad at our level.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Apparently we're signing Jordan Archer (presumably because Bettinelli's off). So that's fun when I'm pretty sure I was slagging him off with @Akinfenwaaaa not so long ago when he went to Oxford.
  • Akinfenwaaaa
    4251 posts National Call-Up
    Apparently we're signing Jordan Archer (presumably because Bettinelli's off). So that's fun when I'm pretty sure I was slagging him off with @Akinfenwaaaa not so long ago when he went to Oxford.

:joy: honestly he wasn't all that bad in his first season with us. I just don't think he could handle the level of abuse he got from our fans after a couple of mistakes, we're an unforgiving bunch.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited January 14

:joy: honestly he wasn't all that bad in his first season with us. I just don't think he could handle the level of abuse he got from our fans after a couple of mistakes, we're an unforgiving bunch.

Yeah I don’t mind it that much. Just because he’ll presumably know he’s coming in to sit on the bench for Rodak, has Championship experience and he’s a Homegrown player. Would presumably be cheaper wage wise than Bettinelli as well.

Although think most Fulham fans experience of him is basically that 3-0 game where he parried the ball straight to Sessegnon and dived under McDonald’s long shot so I doubt people will be going in with high hopes.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited January 14
    Been a busy day for us on the transfers front. Archer's about to sign, which in turn means Bettinelli's off. Someone on a Fulham forum said Kongolo was having his medical today, but obviously that could not be true.

And Joe Bryan's been linked with a move away again. Think it's Southampton, Watford or Atalanta. Just imagine if Bryan goes from 4th in the Championship to the Round of 16 of the Champions League, although I doubt he'd actually play for them. Said it on here a few days ago though, think he'd suit playing as a Wing-Back rather than a Left-Back in a four so much more.

Was hoping he'd be doing it with us if we signed Kongolo. Could see him going though, especially after Odoi pocketed Bowen at the weekend. Showed we can get by without him let's say so if the money was right.
  • They Caged Non
    6264 posts Big Money Move
    Wish I could have this much hope as you guys :lol:

I’ve seen gloomy days at griffin park. Especially during the relegation times.

And this season. Standing in Ealing road and being 2-0 down to Milwall with us just above relegation zone. And hearing our fans chant to our manager: You’re getting sacked in the morning. How times have changed in 3 months :blush:

You were absolutely awful at the Riverside in the first half then just came to life after managing to keep it 0-0 til half time. I thought no way you would be up there but fair play.

• They Caged Non
    I’m working away at the moment with a lad who likes to drink so not had chance to log on, good thing is that first half tonight can be consigned to my drunken memory and forgotten about.

Buzzing with last 15/20 where we actually showed some fight and relatively pleased we didn’t get hammered tbh.
  • wheelerdeeler
    You say that like you're going to get through Shrewsbury.

This man knows. I’m gonna miss the **** game too if we beat Shrews. First decent FA Cup draw in forever and it’s when I’m out the country :lol:

Well, at least you don't have to worry about that anymore.
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    edited January 15
    You say that like you're going to get through Shrewsbury.

This man knows. I’m gonna miss the **** game too if we beat Shrews. First decent FA Cup draw in forever and it’s when I’m out the country :lol:

Well, at least you don't have to worry about that anymore.

Haha been saying to a Liverpool fan in work this week that he shouldn’t take anything for granted as Shrewsbury will give them a tough game. I was half joking but was so obvious we’d lose :lol:
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited January 15
    Mitrovic only out for 2-3 weeks according to Parker. So that’s pretty much best case scenario. Means we don’t have to sign a Striker either. Should be able to “get away” with playing Bobby Reid or AK47 up-front for the games he’ll miss. Especially when one of them is City away which we’ll get battered in regardless.
  • DelboyIRA
    390 posts Sunday League Hero
    I’m working away at the moment with a lad who likes to drink so not had chance to log on, good thing is that first half tonight can be consigned to my drunken memory and forgotten about.

Buzzing with last 15/20 where we actually showed some fight and relatively pleased we didn’t get hammered tbh.

mate what is your job?
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited January 15
    Sky saying Kongolo's close, so maybe the guy I talked about yesterday saying he was having his medical wasn't talking complete ****.

More I've thought about it I'm a big fan of it if it means we're switching to a 3.

Hector, Mawson/Ream, Kongolo (who's got his head on straight after whatever issues he's had at Huddersfield) with Christie (or someone new, but Christie's been decent since November) and Bryan as Wing-Backs would be very good and give us a bit more balance. And we could switch up whether it's 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 and who plays where (specifically thinking about Cairney and whether he plays as the #10 or deeper and Bobby Reid who could play up-front in a two or on the wing) depending on who we're playing.

If he's our Joe Bryan replacement at Left-Back though and Bryan's off, it's very meh. Guess I could bring back my favourite phrase though "he's not a Left-Back".
  • They Caged Non
    DelboyIRA wrote: »

mate what is your job?

I work in system support , supporting our Supply Chain network, which is basically a posh way of saying im a System admin for a Warehouse Operation. Its pretty boring but i did get a Jaguar F-Pace as a hire car this week which is essentially going to be the highlight of my working year haha.