The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    mott1993 wrote: »
    BristolMDF wrote: »
    Johnson out.

:lol:

What happened at the end? Something to do with him kicking off at our manager

Something that will hopefully get him sacked

I’ve defended him to the hilt but it’s time for change. The ❤️❤️❤️❤️ he’s serving up is completely unacceptable.
  • Handy Andy
    5932 posts Big Money Move
    Should add that losing 2-1 to a goal from someone who I genuinely thought had retired and was doing punditry on 5Live is the perfect start to the new decade.

And to top it all off we’ve got another Midfielder injury.

He's genuinely 50 minimum.

have some respect, lad has gone and started 2 games in 3 days at you and Preston, been class in both and got 6 points. Class player
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    Well on the plus side I saw a rainbow flick for the first time in real life today. Absolute filth.

• wheelerdeeler
    7375 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 1
    Handy Andy wrote: »
    Should add that losing 2-1 to a goal from someone who I genuinely thought had retired and was doing punditry on 5Live is the perfect start to the new decade.

have some respect, lad has gone and started 2 games in 3 days at you and Preston, been class in both and got 6 points. Class player

He was to be fair. Even tried scoring from the halfway line like he did a few years ago just down the road. You've got some good players to be fair. Thought the Keeper, Moore, Adam and Ejaria were all decent. Was an interesting last 10 minutes because Moore was playing with what looked like a dislocated shoulder. Annoys me because I've wanted us to sign him in like 3 different windows now and we've ended up with the shambles of a defence that we have now.

3rd-6th is probably the most wide open it's ever been in that everyone down to probably Boro with the form they're in has a decent enough chance depending on what happens in the window with how inconsistent teams like us, Preston, Forest, Bristol City, Wednesday etc. have been when they've got into a decent position.
  • Handy Andy

He was to be fair. Even tried scoring from the halfway line like he did a few years ago just down the road. You've got some good players to be fair. Thought the Keeper, Moore, Adam and Ejaria were all decent. Was an interesting last 10 minutes because Moore was playing with what looked like a dislocated shoulder. Annoys me because I've wanted us to sign him in like 3 different windows now and we've ended up with the shambles of a defence that we have now.

3rd-6th is probably the most wide open it's ever been in that everyone down to probably Boro with the form they're in has a decent enough chance depending on what happens in the window with how inconsistent teams like us, Preston, Forest, Bristol City, Wednesday etc. have been when they've got into a decent position.

Moore dislocated his shoulder like 4 times in the last 7-8 months. All the previous times and today they just pop it back in and he keeps playing :D

Ejaria and Swift are unreal, with them 2 fit we can do some damage. Not getting ahead of myself and would still be happy with anything top half / mid table

Knockeart was pretty poor for you I have to say, was surprised considering how good he has been when he has played us before. Mitrovic is a joke, way too good for this league. Constantly playing nice layoffs to team mates when under pressure. Reed was good as well before he went off, felt that was key.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited January 1

Moore dislocated his shoulder like 4 times in the last 7-8 months. All the previous times and today they just pop it back in and he keeps playing :D

Ejaria and Swift are unreal, with them 2 fit we can do some damage. Not getting ahead of myself and would still be happy with anything top half / mid table

Knockeart was pretty poor for you I have to say, was surprised considering how good he has been when he has played us before. Mitrovic is a joke, way too good for this league. Constantly playing nice layoffs to team mates when under pressure. Reed was good as well before he went off, felt that was key.

Said it in here loads of times that Knockaert's shocking. We always have at least one signing a season that's meant to be really good and turns out to be an absolute shocker and he's the one this year. He's only not our worst signing of the season because Harry Arter went missing in early October.

Thought Mitrovic was pretty poor today honestly (might just be by the very high standard he's set). Hasn't looked sharp in about a month now, but he's played 90 minutes in literally every league game bar QPR when he was suspended so he might be carrying a knock and playing through it because we've had a bit of an injury crisis. Hope we give him the next 4 or so days completely off and back in on Monday.

Reed's a good player, just been injured for a while before this last little run of games around Christmas. Today was probably a game too far for him (which is why I wanted more rotation for Stoke at the weekend), but I do wonder what we've been doing in training when we've (seemingly) picked up 3 muscle injuries in two games.

Thought we played decent 1st Half to be fair, you more or less score with your only shot (apart from Charlie Adam's from the half way line) and your Keeper's had a worldie of a double save at 0-0 and Reid's hit the post- but we're just absolutely horrendous at managing games when we go behind because we're so bad defensively and in the transition that if a team has anything about them they can just pick us off. And it should've been 3-0 before it was 2-1. Seen that exact game against Forest, Hull, Bristol City and Preston already so it isn't a surprise to me when it happens again. It's one of the main criticisms of Parker really that he seemingly isn't learning from his mistakes/isn't capable of finding a solution to said mistakes.

Is there any particular reason that Knockaert gets booed by Reading fans or just because?
  • Farlz
    8987 posts League Winner
    What I discovered while in the Championship is that Lee Johnson is a massive wanka
  • wheelerdeeler
    He just annoys me because he always beats us at the Cottage and his whole family are Fulham fans. Could do us a favour every now and again.
  • mott1993
    935 posts Semi-Pro
    Farlz wrote: »
    What I discovered while in the Championship is that Lee Johnson is a massive wanka

lol
  • Handy Andy
    edited January 1

Said it in here loads of times that Knockaert's shocking. We always have at least one signing a season that's meant to be really good and turns out to be an absolute shocker and he's the one this year. He's only not our worst signing of the season because Harry Arter went missing in early October.

Thought Mitrovic was pretty poor today honestly (might just be by the very high standard he's set). Hasn't looked sharp in about a month now, but he's played 90 minutes in literally every league game bar QPR when he was suspended so he might be carrying a knock and playing through it because we've had a bit of an injury crisis. Hope we give him the next 4 or so days completely off and back in on Monday.

Reed's a good player, just been injured for a while before this last little run of games around Christmas. Today was probably a game too far for him (which is why I wanted more rotation for Stoke at the weekend), but I do wonder what we've been doing in training when we've (seemingly) picked up 3 muscle injuries in two games.

Thought we played decent 1st Half to be fair, you more or less score with your only shot (apart from Charlie Adam's from the half way line) and your Keeper's had a worldie of a double save at 0-0 and Reid's hit the post- but we're just absolutely horrendous at managing games when we go behind because we're so bad defensively and in the transition that if a team has anything about them they can just pick us off. And it should've been 3-0 before it was 2-1. Seen that exact game against Forest, Hull, Bristol City and Preston already so it isn't a surprise to me when it happens again. It's one of the main criticisms of Parker really that he seemingly isn't learning from his mistakes/isn't capable of finding a solution to said mistakes.

Is there any particular reason that Knockaert gets booed by Reading fans or just because?

1st half after the double save/post early on (which were in the same passage of play tbf) I felt we were fairly comfortable, you had loads of the ball but did not do a whole lot with it, and we looked really dangerous on the break

Don't think there is a particular reason for the Knockeart thing, feel we did get in his head a bit today :joy: l
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited January 1

1st half after the double save/post early on (which were in the same passage of play tbf) I felt we were fairly comfortable, you had loads of the ball but did not do a whole lot with it, and we looked really dangerous on the break

Don't think there is a particular reason for the Knockeart thing, feel we did get in his head a bit today :joy: l

Story of our season. Bet you were absolutely terrified of our 1mph build-up which is mainly just Tim Ream passing to either side of him before pinging a hopeful diagonal ball to the wing so a cross can hit the first man.

Can't remember, was Knockaert the player Swift two-footed in the reverse fixture to get sent off maybe? And no you didn't don't worry, he's just that **** anyway.
  • AaronMFC
    1876 posts Play-Off Hero
    Kind of want to change my prediction to going unbeaten for the rest of the season and winning the playoffs however ill keep level headed and only say theres a small chance of that instead of no chance. But seriously beating west brom and preston back to back away has been brilliant and means we can look up instead of down.
  • Dizzy Bala
    3841 posts National Call-Up
    Didn't even know this was a thing LOL
    4e12a307bca71c23bbdc3246b2ea756c.png
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    edited January 2
    Finally got round to it

Review of the decade:

Mixed bag. I experienced the first league title we’ve won in my lifetime, albeit it’s only League One, it was a fantastic season and very memorable. The club has transformed in many positive ways, with huge growth in revenue from the much improved facilities and an almost 50% increase in attendances at this level.

Off the pitch things are in a better shape than ever and I think we’re finally brushing off the ‘little old Bristol City’ tag and pushing to establish ourselves as genuine candidates for a top six challenge - IF the owner will make the investment where it really counts - in the dugout.

For all that improvement though, a decade ago we finished 10th in the championship, and as I write this, we’re 11th in the championship. All that development and growth hasn’t resulted in any tangible benefit in terms of the overall ‘place in the world’ of the club. We’re probably a ‘bigger’ club in the context of this division now, as more of an established regular rather than ‘plucky outsiders’ but it’s not really made any impact on our overall stature as far as football in this country goes.

And 10 years ago I certainly felt a lot more of a buzz going to football, and a lot more connected with the club. Though I think that’s mainly just that there’s so much to dislike about modern football, rather than anything the club have got wrong specifically.

Although the fact that we’ve been served up utter turgid ❤️❤️❤️❤️ for nigh on two years at home doesn’t help things.

Prediction for the next decade:

You have to think that in the next ten years we can finally limp over the line and blag our way into the Premier League. Everything is in place aside from a manager who can deliver the quality of football necessary to get up there.

I think it would be a fairly significant failing if it weren’t to happen in the ‘20s’ given the investment in the squad and facilities.

2019/20 Prediction:

14th and Johnson relieved of his duties in the summer (please)

League Position on 31/12/20:

8th

Random Footballing Prediction for 2020:

Niclas Eliasson gets a move to a top flight league.

Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2020:

@They Caged Non and @wheelerdeeler fighting over acceptable half time snacks (the former opting for pork pie and chips and the latter promoting the virtues of a quinoa and smashed avocado filo parcel)
  • They Caged Non
    6258 posts Big Money Move
    Finally got round to it

Review of the decade:

Mixed bag. I experienced the first league title we’ve won in my lifetime, albeit it’s only League One, it was a fantastic season and very memorable. The club has transformed in many positive ways, with huge growth in revenue from the much improved facilities and an almost 50% increase in attendances at this level.

Off the pitch things are in a better shape than ever and I think we’re finally brushing off the ‘little old Bristol City’ tag and pushing to establish ourselves as genuine candidates for a top six challenge - IF the owner will make the investment where it really counts - in the dugout.

For all that improvement though, a decade ago we finished 10th in the championship, and as I write this, we’re 11th in the championship. All that development and growth hasn’t resulted in any tangible benefit in terms of the overall ‘place in the world’ of the club. We’re probably a ‘bigger’ club in the context of this division now, as more of an established regular rather than ‘plucky outsiders’ but it’s not really made any impact on our overall stature as far as football in this country goes.

And 10 years ago I certainly felt a lot more of a buzz going to football, and a lot more connected with the club. Though I think that’s mainly just that there’s so much to dislike about modern football, rather than anything the club have got wrong specifically.

Although the fact that we’ve been served up utter turgid **** for nigh on two years at home doesn’t help things.

Prediction for the next decade:

You have to think that in the next ten years we can finally limp over the line and blag our way into the Premier League. Everything is in place aside from a manager who can deliver the quality of football necessary to get up there.

I think it would be a fairly significant failing if it weren’t to happen in the ‘20s’ given the investment in the squad and facilities.

2019/20 Prediction:

14th and Johnson relieved of his duties in the summer (please)

League Position on 31/12/20:

8th

Random Footballing Prediction for 2020:

Niclas Eliasson gets a move to a top flight league.

Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2020:

@They Caged Non and @wheelerdeeler fighting over acceptable half time snacks (the former opting for pork pie and chips and the latter promoting the virtues of a quinoa and smashed avocado filo parcel)

:D:D
  • They Caged Non
    6258 posts Big Money Move
    AaronMFC wrote: »
    Kind of want to change my prediction to going unbeaten for the rest of the season and winning the playoffs however ill keep level headed and only say theres a small chance of that instead of no chance. But seriously beating west brom and preston back to back away has been brilliant and means we can look up instead of down.

The last 5 weeks has blown my head off, our injury and suspension ravaged squad soaring up the league.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited January 2
    Fun fact. I've never eaten anything Avocado related in my whole life.

Besides, everyone knows the only acceptable choice of half-time food is Fois Gras and/or Hummus with Pita bread.
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    Yeah I can’t stand avocado either. Minging stuff.
  • iHilarious
    13298 posts Has That Special Something

Besides, everyone knows the only acceptable choice of half-time food is Fois Gras and/or Hummus with Pita bread.

Guacamole is the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ mate
  • wheelerdeeler
    iHilarious wrote: »

Guacamole is the **** mate

Spot the Tory.
  • mott1993
    935 posts Semi-Pro

Spot the Tory.

@Handy Andy
  • Hicksy2011
    16927 posts World Class
    To be fair I think that’s just his feeling about all foods
  • Handy Andy
    why is a Fulham fan playing spot the tory
  • Handy Andy
    mott1993 wrote: »

Spot the Tory.

@Handy Andy

obsessed
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited January 2
    why is a Fulham fan playing spot the tory

Fulham's a Labour(ish) area I'll have you know (believe it or not). And where I live is Lib Dem.
  • iHilarious
    13298 posts Has That Special Something
    edited January 2

Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    To be fair I think that’s just his feeling about all foods

Wow

Where I live is very much labour btw x
  • Lard_Lad
    12737 posts Has That Special Something
    Huge game tonight, can’t believe how far we’ve come in the last 4 years. So much so that I genuinely think we could get something here.
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    Anyone know if Rooney’s playing for Derby tonight? Barely seen it mentioned at all :neutral:
  • wheelerdeeler
    Anyone know if Rooney’s playing for Derby tonight? Barely seen it mentioned at all :neutral:

They are called Wayne Rooney's Derby. Be a bit weird if he didn't play.