How do you defend with 4-4-2?

NinthFall
1362 posts Play-Off Hero
Recently started testing 4-4-2 and attacking-wise I like it a lot, but the formation is literally leaking goals at ease. How on earth do you defend with 4-4-2?

Comments

• kraid
    4734 posts National Call-Up
    NinthFall wrote: »
    Recently started testing 4-4-2 and attacking-wise I like it a lot, but the formation is literally leaking goals at ease. How on earth do you defend with 4-4-2?
    I use my players to try and get the ball from their players
  • Crop_Dust3r
    455 posts Sunday League Hero
    Think it just depends who you have as your midfield pair. I like to have 1 of them strong in defence (Paulinho) and a fast playmaker as the other.

Stamina is important
  • TheBenson
    425 posts Sunday League Hero
    You need to run at your opponents to close them down to win the ball.back. If you try to just mark the space and try and delay then you will come unstuck.
  • CtldChaos
    2205 posts Fans' Favourite
    Get Kante.... problem solved.
  • Empyrium7
    3571 posts National Call-Up
    Pressure the opponent and try to get the ball back fast.
  • Ishibum
    14135 posts Has That Special Something
    I use a med/high (Casemiro) and a box to box (Paulinho) with both set to stay edge of the box. You need good stamina and be decent and winning one on ones in this awful gameplay.
  • Professor
    2421 posts Fans' Favourite
    Kante and Sissoko both on stay back.
  • Tboon
    3142 posts National Call-Up
    Totgs Tolisso (stay back) and Pogba (balanced). Works great!
  • limjitwe
    7829 posts League Winner
    Frankie on stay back and KDB (a high/high) On balance works as well.
  • BadSeedsFC
    1179 posts Professional
    I use IF Delaney on stay back and FB Fabregas on balance and everything was working out... But now I haven't spend a single coin in about a week (saving for Futmass) and got 6 looses in a row since Monday. I'm sure my setup is fine. Just have to wait till Voldemort realizes that I'm not going to buy any random player just because he wants me to do that 😬
  • Seandimes
    2959 posts National Call-Up
    Overload ballside
  • Unparalleled
    530 posts An Exciting Prospect

I use 442 and the trick to defending is pressure. Never drop back. Have 2 CMs with high defensive stats and decent pace. Like IF Wijnaldum, Objective Ox, Sissoko, Paulinho, etc

• NinthFall
    1362 posts Play-Off Hero
    Thanks for the tips I'm gonna try my storyline ox and red 84 mcginn
  • starfox1284
    2352 posts Fans' Favourite

I use 442 and the trick to defending is pressure. Never drop back. Have 2 CMs with high defensive stats and decent pace. Like IF Wijnaldum, Objective Ox, Sissoko, Paulinho, etc

Dropback has been death without a CDM or CDM pairing since the patch to try and nerf it. IF Wijnaldum/Flashback Paulinho for the win though
  • Pieman25
    17086 posts World Class
    I put the 2 cms on stay back, wide mids on come back on defence and strikers come back on defence to create a human wall
  • Finesse_4days
    9784 posts League Winner
    Pieman25 wrote: »
    I put the 2 cms on stay back, wide mids on come back on defence and strikers come back on defence to create a human wall

How sweaty can you be lol? Typical fut champs opponent tactics, why the game is so boring as so many people play like that, then I Just have to do 100 drag backs , ball rolls and passes around the box to create chances as that becomes the only viable thing to do.
  • Pieman25
    17086 posts World Class

How sweaty can you be lol? Typical fut champs opponent tactics, why the game is so boring as so many people play like that, then I Just have to do 100 drag backs , ball rolls and passes around the box to create chances as that becomes the only viable thing to do.

Sorry mate, next time I'll set my team up in the easiest way possible for everyone to beat.
  • starfox1284
    2352 posts Fans' Favourite

Sorry mate, next time I'll set my team up in the easiest way possible for everyone to beat.

If you didn't set your team up that way you would lose a lot of games. Everyone says the game is boring when you have to break down a defense.
  • Pieman25
    17086 posts World Class

If you didn't set your team up that way you would lose a lot of games. Everyone says the game is boring when you have to break down a defense.

Agreed, I'd get smashed trying to match the better players in style and fully accept that.
  • Raf10
    133 posts Has Potential To Be Special

Don't hate the player, hate the game
  • Boommaametw3
    2822 posts National Call-Up
    Professor wrote: »
    Kante and Sissoko both on stay back.

If you play on stay back why not use the one with CDMs? Pros play 4-4-2 cause of Gullit who can play everywhere. They leave him on balanced
  • n2j2000
    2475 posts Fans' Favourite
    TheBenson wrote: »
    You need to run at your opponents to close them down to win the ball.back. If you try to just mark the space and try and delay then you will come unstuck.
    Empyrium7 wrote: »
    Pressure the opponent and try to get the ball back fast.

These guys have nailed it. If you are playing 4-4-2 then you need to close down quickly and try and tackle your opponents. Being a coward and dropping back and trying to mark space does not work well in the 4-4-2.
  • swappo
    41 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Take your mids off cover the wings and put cover centre it helps
  • Keepthechange
    1666 posts Play-Off Hero
    I find it really helpful and important to use overload ball side with wide formations in general.
  • CtldChaos
    2205 posts Fans' Favourite
    I find it really helpful and important to use overload ball side with wide formations in general.

This will work up through DIV5. Higher than that, they will do a switch and you will get eaten by their wide player on the opposite side. If you team is fast enough to get over to the other side, then they switch it again. I could have your team running back and forth across the field while mine generally stands still.
  • ChappellRovers
    2970 posts National Call-Up
    When I used 4-4-2 I used 2 CDM’s to do all of the defending outside the box, sent the full backs forward on track back then just used the two CB’s for in the box tackling