OT: N64 link up to smart tv

Antparry92
20878 posts Club Captain
So I’ve had my old N64 in my house for years and have been meaning to get back on to it for ages but just keep putting it off.

What sort of connection would I need to link it up to a smart tv with HDMI cables. I’m not technologically savvy and have seen conflicting ways to do it.

Any help much appreciated :)

Comments

• GoonerJoe88
    1158 posts Professional
    I would just connect just the red, white, and yellow on the back. I'm still using my NES also! I regret giving my N64 away :'( .
  • Phyan
    1811 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited December 2019
    Just did the same myself was pretty painless. What connections do you have with it? Did mine with the aerial connection and was as easy as just retuning the tv.

Honestly Youtube would be the best option theres loads of vids out there.
  • Antparry92
    20878 posts Club Captain
    Phyan wrote: »
    Just did the same myself was pretty painless. What connections do you have with it? Did mine with the aerial connection and was as easy as just retuning the tv.

I’ve got an RF out adapter with the old style aerial connection. I had seen that was one way but you had to tune the 64 to AV or something?
  • Phyan
    1811 posts Play-Off Hero
    Antparry92 wrote: »

I’ve got an RF out adapter with the old style aerial connection. I had seen that was one way but you had to tune the 64 to AV or something?

Yeah should be pretty straightforward then. iirc all i did was hook it all turn the power on then got to TV settings and re tune and it worked a charm.

Would link you to the tutorial on YouTube but on phone atm, if you're struggling give youtube a try. Something along the lines of n64 to hd tv UK will give you loads of tutorials.
  • Azof
    20352 posts Club Captain
    Its going to look doo doo just fyi
  • Phyan
    1811 posts Play-Off Hero
    Azof wrote: »

He's not wrong but Goldeneye is worth it. Going to Preston to watch some games with my grandad over Christmas and im raiding his garage for the old fat TV
  • Antparry92
    20878 posts Club Captain

Meh. Not fussed tbf. Wanting to play Pokemon stadium with the little one, and I’ll give Goldeneye and Mario a whirl for old times sake as well
  • Azof
    20352 posts Club Captain

He's not wrong but Goldeneye is worth it. Going to Preston to watch some games with my grandad over Christmas and im raiding his garage for the old fat TV

All about that emulation these days
  • Phyan
    1811 posts Play-Off Hero

All about that emulation these days

Maybe im too hipster but doesn't feel the same. Would be much less of a ball ache though.