Icon Swaps & Baby Icon pack confusion

1
HI , I need some help or to see how many people have been affected by the new icon swaps and baby icon promotion?

I spoke with EA who basically said bad luck and there is nothing they can do, which has really worried me that this buying packs business is making them lots of money with no regard for there customers or young people who do not have the finances to play the game as EA intent people to do. When I approached the EA agent ( who was a decent guy just following instructions from the studio) I was told the studio may or may not even get back to us.......lol this is so bad and deceitful from a huge business I'm absolutely gobsmacked the lack of responsibility

my son who is 14 years old was over the moon when he had the chance to earn an icon swaps player using skill to obtain the player of his choice .....which was 88 rated Nesta and he was very happy with his choice hence why he choose it.

after umming and arring he decided to do the ICon base Challenge that costs around 500k to complete the 4 sections which is great , he was happy to do this and to be honest
I thought he would end up with a lower tier Icon as per what happens in normal packs.

after completing this challenge I was gobsmacked to see he had got another nesta 88 rated that he had to discard wasting 500k coins and god knows how much money ......he has gone to school today absolutely devastated.

the standard of player he got is not the issue , my issue is to run one promotion on skill and then allow people to try and get the dream of a Pele or a Ronaldo costing them 500k which is a lot in ££££'s , My opinion is that some kind of safeguarding needs to be put in place to avoid duplicate cards when the only option is for them to be Untradeable which avoids people losing a lot of money.

I know this must sound like sour grapes but how many people have spent hours playing the game to get an icon swaps player for then to do the base icon challenge and get the same player.

if EA are reading and there is people there that actually give a crap about its customers then I do have some solutions rather just moan about a negative.

1st solution : EA recognizes that when doing the Icon challenge if they decide to run a an identical promotion whereby its going to cost a lot of money they remove the player you choose through icon swaps from the baby ICON SBC they will put something in place to stop you getting a duplicate especially when this challenge is one of teh most expensive to do.

2nd solution : if you run one promotion that is untradeable and you run another with the same cards available then you make one promotion trade able so at least you can sell your card and not lose as many coins.

I want to take this further and i'm talking with trading standards about speaking to EA about this from a safeguarding situation.

EA have informed that pack opening is a randomized Lottery which is gambling......my question back to EA is I didnt realize that kids under 16 was allowed to gamble by law

Kind Regards

Bobby

Comments

  • Denz
    2862 posts Fans' Favourite
    I agree you shouldn't be able to get duplicates in this.

    But you can, nowhere does it say you can't and as such like all packs, it's entirely down to luck.

    I would though like to see some sort of feature where you could do something with duplicates other than discard. Obviously with lesser cards there are sbcs but putting an icon into morales would feel a bit wrong.

  • GC10
    259 posts Sunday League Hero
    Firstly I agree it's extremely poor from EA to allow that to happen...

    However that was always going to be a risk of taking a base icon packs. In all honesty I wouldn't waste your time with this, you won't win.
  • BlackFridayRule
    1354 posts Professional
    Thats why i got a prime! So my base pack will be base hagi 😂
  • CustardHippo
    2876 posts Fans' Favourite
    There is literally nowhere that it says you cannot pack someone you already have.

    It sucks, yeah, but thats the whole point of taking the gamble on the base icon pack. At 500k its a ridiculous price for the amount of sub 500k icons that are available through it.

    No one forces you to do it. What are you expecting from this, a refund so you can go again because you didn't pack the player you wanted? You are not the first and will not be the last that have packed duplicate players through packs and SBCs. Last year they ran guaranteed Flashback and TOTS SBCs, untradeable, and again numerous people packed duplicates they already had in the pursuit of one of the top tier players.

    I don't want to come off sounding too harsh but what do you genuinely expect when the SBC is for a base icon and 88 Nesta is a base icon? As for safeguarding, as his parent/guardian surely you have a duty to protect your son here as well? You say he has wasted a lot of money but who is allowing him the money to put on to this game?
  • Pieman25
    17095 posts World Class
    Well Bobby you seemed to know what he was doing and allowed him to do so, maybe take a part of the blame here.
  • Pieman 25 as his parent I take full responsibility for this as a parent I have not asked for refund or another go or anything like that .......my point is how many people has this affected and I want EA to look at this and put something in place to stop it happening to other people. not once did we think that could happen.

    I have spoken to trading standards and there is a case for them to investigate , opening packs is a gamble its a lottery that costs money but there is no safeguarding or support in place for people playing the game ...the only people winning is EA and they are making a fortune out of people knowing that the likely cards you get will lose you money every time....................whats the difference between a book maker & EA is what i'm getting at.

    If EA think its acceptable then we have learned a harsh lesson from this and not to play FUT no more.

    I hope this doesn't happen to you

  • Pieman25
    17095 posts World Class
    I would have thought if this was such a big deal you would insist your son does not open the icon pack due to it being gambling but yet it wasn't gambling until he lost from what I can see. If Ronaldo or Gullit came trotting out somehow that made it absolutely fine.
  • daniito169
    210 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    It should've been a player pick SBC so you can choose 1 icon of 2 or 3 to avoid this duplicate issue
  • CustardHippo
    2876 posts Fans' Favourite
    How did your son amass the 500k coins required to do the base icon SBC? Through packs? So you are well aware of the risk you take when opening packs as to obtaining duplicates or good and bad players. Opening the base icon pack is the exact same.

    You are not exempt from pulling a card you already own, never have been and never will be. Otherwise everyone would just hoard cards until the only ones they didnt own were the best of the best.

    There are threads like this all the time and personally feel if you are going to allow your son to open packs and such in the run up to the base icon pack then you are well aware of the risks. I want to say I can sympathise but the more I think about it the more I realise how ridiculous it is. You are essentially happy to open packs when its going OK for you but then the second its not the outcome desired you want to take it to EA.

  • GC10
    259 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited December 2019
    It's only gambling when you lose?
  • hayhor1
    15078 posts World Class
    Where EA screwed up: The icon sbc should have been a random player pick. You get 3 options, which hopefully 1 or 2 are not the one you picked in swaps.
  • thanks for your messages , its cruel and costly , the money he spent was his birthday money via gift vouchers and as a parent It is my responsibility.

    we did not even consider this would happen but now it has its a massive lesson learnt I really hope EA are happy with how many people they are screwing over ....I did not realize how big this business was and my issue is probably a funny joke to them
  • hayhor1 what a great idea ..........EA if you stop counting your money and bother to read any of this Hayhor1 has a fantastic idea that stops all these issues
  • Stone_cold_tea93
    3503 posts National Call-Up
    He is right in what he says. I think the player base should be treat with more respect and EA should show more goodwill.

    What's the harm in ensuring that people dont get duplicates out of these packs? Now obviously there is the chance someone would go out and buy so many of the ICONS and then none of the big 5 or 6 to play the pack.

    You could make it so if you do get a duplicate you can trade in the untradable you have and say an extra squad (So EA still feel like they can rinse us) for the chance at another ICON.

    500k to get a player you already have is ❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • Pieman25
    17095 posts World Class
    bobbyf1982 wrote: »
    thanks for your messages , its cruel and costly , the money he spent was his birthday money via gift vouchers and as a parent It is my responsibility.

    we did not even consider this would happen but now it has its a massive lesson learnt I really hope EA are happy with how many people they are screwing over ....I did not realize how big this business was and my issue is probably a funny joke to them

    You let him spend his money on packs so therefore also allowed him to gamble then as well. Honestly mate you're just bitter at the end result so want EA to change it all despite being fine with it all in the 1st place, let it go and don't let him buy any more packs.

    On top of that for the coins he could have bought another icon anyway, nobody forced the decision but you failed to be the adult here and inform him that buying a card from the market was a better idea.
  • CustardHippo
    2876 posts Fans' Favourite
    n2j2000 wrote: »
    Classic EA forum. Concerned parent with a legitimate complaint and a very sensible solution to it makes a well worded post on here......half the forum jumps down his throat telling him that EA can do no wrong, they shouldn’t have to change their policies and that he should have known better. Disgusting. When are some of you going to wake up and start trying to push for change to improve this game instead of accepting the **** that EA squeezes out?

    No one is saying EA can't do wrong. The complaint is that he is unhappy with the return of his pack. But he was OK with opening packs prior to it going against him.

    The risk, and this has been the case the entire time, is that when you open a pack it my contain a player that you already have. The same is true with opening packs of anything, from Pokemon Cards to Loots Boxes. You can't be fine with it all and then the second it goes against you be against it.

    He opened packs with money, amassed 500k, then was disappointed with what he spent his 500k on. Where is the issue with EA doing wrong here? Did EA force him to do the base icon SBC? I literally cannot understand how people cannot apply logic to this. I have 500k coins too but am avoiding the base icon SBC because I know I will pack naff all. Instead am saving for a better value SBC and a guaranteed player I want. EA do a lot of things wrong but they have in no way forced someone here to do the base icon SBC and there was ALWAYS the risk of duplication.
  • CustardHippo
    2876 posts Fans' Favourite
    Pieman25 wrote: »
    bobbyf1982 wrote: »
    thanks for your messages , its cruel and costly , the money he spent was his birthday money via gift vouchers and as a parent It is my responsibility.

    we did not even consider this would happen but now it has its a massive lesson learnt I really hope EA are happy with how many people they are screwing over ....I did not realize how big this business was and my issue is probably a funny joke to them

    You let him spend his money on packs so therefore also allowed him to gamble then as well. Honestly mate you're just bitter at the end result so want EA to change it all despite being fine with it all in the 1st place, let it go and don't let him buy any more packs.

    On top of that for the coins he could have bought another icon anyway, nobody forced the decision but you failed to be the adult here and inform him that buying a card from the market was a better idea.

    Finally logic. Thank you.
  • Pieman ....do you work for EA or did you get Pele in your Pack lol

    to suggest I turned a blind eye to gambling is ridiculous , do you know what gambling actually means ??????????

    The word Gambling is when you have a chance to win something or lose something ....opening packs you get content a section of players and consumables some are good packs and some are not however you still get content

    the reason why this Icon SBC is classed as gambling is because you have the chance to lose everything where as normal packs you get something afterwards.

    the digital world hasn't been going for to long and Its not been looked at by law sufficiently like bookmakers and lottery's have.

    I've learnt a lot about this industry since this happened and at some point its going to be looked at because the amount of pele playing and paying is ridiculously large

    that's my opinion , ive shared my opinion on this forum and its not something I am going to do again
  • Gone Postal
    466 posts Sunday League Hero
    Best bit of advice I can offer is don't put real money into this broken game. I haven't bought points in years and EA don't give a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ about it's customers
  • CustardHippo
    2876 posts Fans' Favourite
    bobbyf1982 wrote: »
    Pieman ....do you work for EA or did you get Pele in your Pack lol

    to suggest I turned a blind eye to gambling is ridiculous , do you know what gambling actually means ??????????

    The word Gambling is when you have a chance to win something or lose something ....opening packs you get content a section of players and consumables some are good packs and some are not however you still get content

    the reason why this Icon SBC is classed as gambling is because you have the chance to lose everything where as normal packs you get something afterwards.

    Gambling is when you have the chance to win something or lose something. Opening packs you were OK with because you got what you wanted. Opening the base icon SBC pack you were not happy with because you did not get what you wanted.

    Both opening packs, and the icon SBC, are a risk. You were happy to allow your son to open the packs but the second it goes against you want EA's head on a plate.

    As I said, and as has been ignored. EA do a lot of things wrong. But EA are not responsible for what you choose to do with your coins. There is a lot of hate and anger towards EA on this forum but at least direct it to the right thing. This is user error, the chance of packing a good icon from that base icon SBC is minimal. The risk was always there. You chose to do the base icon SBC and got unlucky.
  • PegLeg
    952 posts Semi-Pro
    bobbyf1982 wrote: »
    Pieman ....do you work for EA or did you get Pele in your Pack lol

    to suggest I turned a blind eye to gambling is ridiculous , do you know what gambling actually means ??????????

    The word Gambling is when you have a chance to win something or lose something ....opening packs you get content a section of players and consumables some are good packs and some are not however you still get content

    the reason why this Icon SBC is classed as gambling is because you have the chance to lose everything where as normal packs you get something afterwards.

    Gambling is when you have the chance to win something or lose something. Opening packs you were OK with because you got what you wanted. Opening the base icon SBC pack you were not happy with because you did not get what you wanted.

    Both opening packs, and the icon SBC, are a risk. You were happy to allow your son to open the packs but the second it goes against you want EA's head on a plate.

    As I said, and as has been ignored. EA do a lot of things wrong. But EA are not responsible for what you choose to do with your coins. There is a lot of hate and anger towards EA on this forum but at least direct it to the right thing. This is user error, the chance of packing a good icon from that base icon SBC is minimal. The risk was always there. You chose to do the base icon SBC and got unlucky.

    So I take it you don't think either of the OPs suggested alternative approaches should be implemented?
  • CustardHippo
    2876 posts Fans' Favourite
    PegLeg wrote: »
    bobbyf1982 wrote: »
    Pieman ....do you work for EA or did you get Pele in your Pack lol

    to suggest I turned a blind eye to gambling is ridiculous , do you know what gambling actually means ??????????

    The word Gambling is when you have a chance to win something or lose something ....opening packs you get content a section of players and consumables some are good packs and some are not however you still get content

    the reason why this Icon SBC is classed as gambling is because you have the chance to lose everything where as normal packs you get something afterwards.

    Gambling is when you have the chance to win something or lose something. Opening packs you were OK with because you got what you wanted. Opening the base icon SBC pack you were not happy with because you did not get what you wanted.

    Both opening packs, and the icon SBC, are a risk. You were happy to allow your son to open the packs but the second it goes against you want EA's head on a plate.

    As I said, and as has been ignored. EA do a lot of things wrong. But EA are not responsible for what you choose to do with your coins. There is a lot of hate and anger towards EA on this forum but at least direct it to the right thing. This is user error, the chance of packing a good icon from that base icon SBC is minimal. The risk was always there. You chose to do the base icon SBC and got unlucky.

    So I take it you don't think either of the OPs suggested alternative approaches should be implemented?

    Did someone hold a gun to his head and force him to do the base icon SBC in which he ALWAYS had the risk of pulling a duplicate player? The same risk that has been in this game across every SBC and across all the years SBCs have been running. The same risk that you have from opening ANY pack on this game?

    Funny that these threads only pop up when it goes against someone and they don't get what they want but there is no outcry when someone gets something they want. Had he pulled Lehman would this thread instead be about how his son just paid 500k for a 135k player?

    And if you want to complain, do it before or whilst you open tons of packs with money and not when you then waste the coins you get back from those. He was happy to open all those packs and put the money in to the game, but not happy when he didn't get lucky from an untradeable SBC (which it is advertised as).

    The better method would have been, if costing 500k, to have a player pick 1 from 3. But it isn't. It's advertised as a random base icon and OP got a random base icon - am not debating that they could not have implemented it better. I am saying that you cannot come in and demand EA's head on a plate when every man and his dog knows the risk of these SBCs. They do a lot wrong, complain about the gameplay, the promos, the lack of communication. Complain about those things. But you cannot complain because you didn't get the icon you wanted.
  • Chris2032
    647 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited December 2019
    I agree with OP

    But more importantly.. can we take a minute to recognise this is guy doing all this for his son's happiness of video gaming? What a guy.
    source.gif
  • BiigDee
    4687 posts Big Money Move
    edited December 2019
    Come on lads, this guy has genuine points that should be put in place, it’s clear logic but unfortunately EA don’t think logically. Having to bin such a player is stupid unless you know the glitch where you can leave him unassigned. If you couldn’t do that then I’m sure there would be a lot more posts than this.

    What I will say though is don’t allow your lad to spend his money on packs. I don’t allow mine to simply because it’s a bottomless money pit and don’t want him to become addicted to it because it does have that affect and it’s designed that way.

    [Removed discussion of moderation]
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • Hibee
    12409 posts Has That Special Something
    I agree you should not be able to pack a duplicate icon in these packs. Its ludicrous really. It should have been a player pick. At least in previous years there was Icon SBCs to submit duplicates into.

    Unfortunately FIFA has one of the most toxic communities out there, and this forum is home for a lot of them. So some of the replies you got here are totally expected.
  • Pieman25
    17095 posts World Class
    edited December 2019
    bobbyf1982 wrote: »
    Pieman ....do you work for EA or did you get Pele in your Pack lol

    to suggest I turned a blind eye to gambling is ridiculous , do you know what gambling actually means ??????????

    The word Gambling is when you have a chance to win something or lose something ....opening packs you get content a section of players and consumables some are good packs and some are not however you still get content

    the reason why this Icon SBC is classed as gambling is because you have the chance to lose everything where as normal packs you get something afterwards.

    the digital world hasn't been going for to long and Its not been looked at by law sufficiently like bookmakers and lottery's have.

    I've learnt a lot about this industry since this happened and at some point its going to be looked at because the amount of pele playing and paying is ridiculously large

    that's my opinion , ive shared my opinion on this forum and its not something I am going to do again

    I didn't open the pack, I've got 500k so I'm not wasting it on 1 of the likely mugs that would come out of it. Your lad got content, it just so happened he owned that content already. Much like if you go open some Pokemon cards and bam there's a duplicate.
  • PegLeg
    952 posts Semi-Pro
    PegLeg wrote: »
    bobbyf1982 wrote: »
    Pieman ....do you work for EA or did you get Pele in your Pack lol

    to suggest I turned a blind eye to gambling is ridiculous , do you know what gambling actually means ??????????

    The word Gambling is when you have a chance to win something or lose something ....opening packs you get content a section of players and consumables some are good packs and some are not however you still get content

    the reason why this Icon SBC is classed as gambling is because you have the chance to lose everything where as normal packs you get something afterwards.

    Gambling is when you have the chance to win something or lose something. Opening packs you were OK with because you got what you wanted. Opening the base icon SBC pack you were not happy with because you did not get what you wanted.

    Both opening packs, and the icon SBC, are a risk. You were happy to allow your son to open the packs but the second it goes against you want EA's head on a plate.

    As I said, and as has been ignored. EA do a lot of things wrong. But EA are not responsible for what you choose to do with your coins. There is a lot of hate and anger towards EA on this forum but at least direct it to the right thing. This is user error, the chance of packing a good icon from that base icon SBC is minimal. The risk was always there. You chose to do the base icon SBC and got unlucky.

    So I take it you don't think either of the OPs suggested alternative approaches should be implemented?

    Did someone hold a gun to his head and force him to do the base icon SBC in which he ALWAYS had the risk of pulling a duplicate player? The same risk that has been in this game across every SBC and across all the years SBCs have been running. The same risk that you have from opening ANY pack on this game?

    Funny that these threads only pop up when it goes against someone and they don't get what they want but there is no outcry when someone gets something they want. Had he pulled Lehman would this thread instead be about how his son just paid 500k for a 135k player?

    And if you want to complain, do it before or whilst you open tons of packs with money and not when you then waste the coins you get back from those. He was happy to open all those packs and put the money in to the game, but not happy when he didn't get lucky from an untradeable SBC (which it is advertised as).

    The better method would have been, if costing 500k, to have a player pick 1 from 3. But it isn't. It's advertised as a random base icon and OP got a random base icon - am not debating that they could not have implemented it better. I am saying that you cannot come in and demand EA's head on a plate when every man and his dog knows the risk of these SBCs. They do a lot wrong, complain about the gameplay, the promos, the lack of communication. Complain about those things. But you cannot complain because you didn't get the icon you wanted.

    Geez, calm down mate, it was a simple yes or no question
  • BiigDee
    4687 posts Big Money Move
    Pieman25 wrote: »
    bobbyf1982 wrote: »
    Pieman ....do you work for EA or did you get Pele in your Pack lol

    to suggest I turned a blind eye to gambling is ridiculous , do you know what gambling actually means ??????????

    The word Gambling is when you have a chance to win something or lose something ....opening packs you get content a section of players and consumables some are good packs and some are not however you still get content

    the reason why this Icon SBC is classed as gambling is because you have the chance to lose everything where as normal packs you get something afterwards.

    the digital world hasn't been going for to long and Its not been looked at by law sufficiently like bookmakers and lottery's have.

    I've learnt a lot about this industry since this happened and at some point its going to be looked at because the amount of pele playing and paying is ridiculously large

    that's my opinion , ive shared my opinion on this forum and its not something I am going to do again

    I didn't open the pack, I've got 500k so I'm not wasting it on 1 of the likely mugs that would come out of it. Your lad got content, it just so happened he owned that content already. Much like if you go open some Pokemon cards and bam there's a duplicate.

    You wouldn’t have to bin that duplicated card though would you.
  • Hibee
    12409 posts Has That Special Something
    PegLeg wrote: »
    bobbyf1982 wrote: »
    Pieman ....do you work for EA or did you get Pele in your Pack lol

    to suggest I turned a blind eye to gambling is ridiculous , do you know what gambling actually means ??????????

    The word Gambling is when you have a chance to win something or lose something ....opening packs you get content a section of players and consumables some are good packs and some are not however you still get content

    the reason why this Icon SBC is classed as gambling is because you have the chance to lose everything where as normal packs you get something afterwards.

    Gambling is when you have the chance to win something or lose something. Opening packs you were OK with because you got what you wanted. Opening the base icon SBC pack you were not happy with because you did not get what you wanted.

    Both opening packs, and the icon SBC, are a risk. You were happy to allow your son to open the packs but the second it goes against you want EA's head on a plate.

    As I said, and as has been ignored. EA do a lot of things wrong. But EA are not responsible for what you choose to do with your coins. There is a lot of hate and anger towards EA on this forum but at least direct it to the right thing. This is user error, the chance of packing a good icon from that base icon SBC is minimal. The risk was always there. You chose to do the base icon SBC and got unlucky.

    So I take it you don't think either of the OPs suggested alternative approaches should be implemented?

    Did someone hold a gun to his head and force him to do the base icon SBC in which he ALWAYS had the risk of pulling a duplicate player? The same risk that has been in this game across every SBC and across all the years SBCs have been running. The same risk that you have from opening ANY pack on this game?

    Funny that these threads only pop up when it goes against someone and they don't get what they want but there is no outcry when someone gets something they want. Had he pulled Lehman would this thread instead be about how his son just paid 500k for a 135k player?

    And if you want to complain, do it before or whilst you open tons of packs with money and not when you then waste the coins you get back from those. He was happy to open all those packs and put the money in to the game, but not happy when he didn't get lucky from an untradeable SBC (which it is advertised as).

    The better method would have been, if costing 500k, to have a player pick 1 from 3. But it isn't. It's advertised as a random base icon and OP got a random base icon - am not debating that they could not have implemented it better. I am saying that you cannot come in and demand EA's head on a plate when every man and his dog knows the risk of these SBCs. They do a lot wrong, complain about the gameplay, the promos, the lack of communication. Complain about those things. But you cannot complain because you didn't get the icon you wanted.

    He isn't complaining because he didn't get the icon he wanted. He is complaining because he cant use the icon he pulled. He has no option other than to discard it. Wasting 500k. Which to his kid is likely a huge amount. Surely you can see this is not right!? Regardless whether the risk is there or not.

    Honestly, this forum at times.
Sign In or Register to comment.