Fifa 20 CMS Discussion Thread

Comments

• Wyojasond
    15358 posts World Class
    Stlducks wrote: »
    I can't believe it actually happened. Spurs sacked Poch. I've been calling for it and wanting it but now it just feels weird. A mix of sad but excited for what's to come.

The great memories of becoming a consistent top4 club, the UCL memories but all with a cloud of no trophies.

I think it is the right move. People will say Spurs are nothing without him but 25 points in 24 matches is awful. They even spent money this summer and results are worse. I think it is best for both parties to split. Hopefully Poch can go and win something in Spain.

Still can’t believe it. Have a feeling that locker room is a complete mess
  • Danimal5981
    2558 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited November 2019
    Weird moment to sack him now. It must mean Spurs have agreed terms with a replacement.
  • Wyojasond
    15358 posts World Class
    Weird moment to sack him now. It must mean Spurs have agreed terms with a replacement.

Mourinho announcement incoming 😏
  • Danimal5981

Don't find him the type for Tottenham, but neither do I find Allegri suitable.
  • Wyojasond
    15358 posts World Class

Don't find him the type for Tottenham, but neither do I find Allegri suitable.

Personally I think Mourinho could win a couple of trophies at Spurs.......but he’ll likely leave it in a dumpster fire after a couple of years.
  • Stlducks
    3805 posts National Call-Up
    I could see Mourinho as a short term fix. Rumors of Spurs wanting Nagelsmann but he won't leave midseason.

I think Mourinho is the next guy though. Seems too easy and he would be someone with a history of winning that Spurs need.

Announce Wenger.
  • Ashy
    12603 posts Has That Special Something
    What about the Mgladbach manager or Salzburg one?
  • DB1512
    467 posts Sunday League Hero
    I think Pochettino could end up in Munich and in that scenario Ten Hag could sign for Spurs.
  • Wyojasond
    15358 posts World Class
    The timing seems so weird. Like why now? Why not last Monday when the international break started.

There’s been a lot of talk about Pep going back to Bayern as well. Think his wife recently moved back there 🤷‍♂️
  • Stlducks
    The timing seems so weird. Like why now? Why not last Monday when the international break started.

There’s been a lot of talk about Pep going back to Bayern as well. Think his wife recently moved back there 🤷‍♂️

Not sure on why they waited a week. I know Poch was in Spain last week and said he would love to return to LaLiga. He has never mentioned Germany so I can't see him going there honestly.

But for the timing, not sure. It's confusing but according to Levy it was a hard decision for the board and took multiple meetings to decide on. I'm glad they debated it so hard and didn't react so quickly like other clubs do.
  • Virtual_K
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited November 2019
    The biggest surprise for me about Pochettino's dismissal was that he's Argentinian, I thought he was Italian. :o

p.s. Don't let the door hit you in the arse, Ibra!
  • exercisebike
    169 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    If you had told me this time last year that Spurs would sack Poch and hire Mourinho...
  • Stlducks
    If you had told me this time last year that Spurs would sack Poch and hire Mourinho...

Just shows how quickly things can change with the wrong attitudes. Towards the end of last season the rumors of players not believing in Poch started coming out after he wouldn't commit his future to Spurs. Then the Eriksen, Alderweireld and Vertoghen drama to start this season caused more issues in the clubhouse.

I don't like Mourinho but he wins trophies everywhere he goes and he will callout the big egos not performing which sadly is what Spurs need right now.
  • dannyboy
    12925 posts Has That Special Something
    Should do well as long as he gets to spend money.
    Think the club is getting a director of football as well.
  • sviraman
    136 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Levy really dropped the ball this year. Poch squeezed the last juice out of this squad last season, but Levy refused to dish out some cash to sort out the unsettled players. Now guess what, he'll have to spend twice as much on Mou's salary AND still shell some out for transfers. Peak spursy.
  • Stlducks
    sviraman wrote: »
    Levy really dropped the ball this year. Poch squeezed the last juice out of this squad last season, but Levy refused to dish out some cash to sort out the unsettled players. Now guess what, he'll have to spend twice as much on Mou's salary AND still shell some out for transfers. Peak spursy.

I disagree and I ask people this all the time when they have that view but have yet to receive a real answer.

What could Spurs have done differently this summer? Ndombele was a record signing, Lo Celso was a very smart deal but he's been injured so has not contributed much and same with Sessegnon who everyone rates high.

Spurs were begging teams to take Alderweireld and nobody would. Spurs even offered Eriksen to clubs but nobody was interested. Then Wanyama's deal fell apart because of the physical. Spurs were not able to move players off their wage bill so they couldn't add that many more.

Add in nobody bidding on Rose when Spurs left him back from the US tour hoping someone would buy him and that makes 4 big name first team players they didn't want but are stuck with.

Levy's hands were tied. Poch's attitude after the UCL run showed he wanted out but I don't think he wanted to be the one to quit. This move was best for all.

@Wyojasond to answer the question for "why now" sounds like Arsenal were interested in Mourinho but he was Levy's first choice so he pulled the trigger now before Arsenal could.
  • dannyboy
    12925 posts Has That Special Something
    Wow they're only 3 points from 5th place.
  • Stlducks
    dannyboy wrote: »
    Wow they're only 3 points from 5th place.

But 11 from 4th. Only reason 5th is close is because United and Arsenal are also poor this season.
  • Danimal5981
    a.k.a. the #AjaxCurse :naughty:
  • WestardLord
    2025 posts Fans' Favourite
    lol can we play you in a friendly?
  • sviraman
    What could Spurs have done differently this summer?
    To start off, signed a defender. Or two. Or four. Or just more fresh blood in general.
    Wanyama is a write-off at this point, he isn't relevant really.
    I don't believe for a second that no one wanted to sign Rose or Alderweireld. More like no one was ready to pay what Spurs wanted.
    The Eriksen situation is a bit different -- the guy is still a top player, and even an unsettled Eriksen is better than no Eriksen. He wanted a move to Spain, but those two teams are run by absolute muppets, so it fell through. And he would've been fine with it if only there weren't four more sad sacks to mope about with.

Poch was the club's best asset, but between him and money Spurs chose money and ended up with neither. Tis some major clownery.
  • sviraman
    I mean the whole ****show is the consequence of years of executive mismanagement and there's not exactly much that can be done, but like, not making things worse by ignoring a dressing room rift would be a start.
  • Stlducks
    edited November 2019
    sviraman wrote: »
    I mean the whole ****show is the consequence of years of executive mismanagement and there's not exactly much that can be done, but like, not making things worse by ignoring a dressing room rift would be a start.

I'm not sure what dressing room rift there was besides players not buying into Poch anymore which happens at any club when a manager is around for years without winning. Poch himself looked like he needed to get out.

If Poch was truly invested (which by all accounts he wasn't this season as he was hoping to win CL then leave) this squad would be much higher in the table.

For your other comment, Alderweireld had a buyout clause of £25m. Nobody took him for that even though all season we heard how he would be bought up in minutes once the window opened.

I agree Wanyama is a write off but that's why they couldn't sell him. You can't buy two or three defenders when you have 3 or 4 players on the wage bill not able to be sold.

No Eriksen is much better then this Eriksen. He hasn't looked like he has cared since September of last season. When the first rumored move to Madrid fell apart he lost interest in Spurs and refused a new contract.

If players won't extend their contracts and you can't sell them, your options are very limited.
  • sviraman
    I'm not sure what dressing room rift there was besides players not buying into Poch anymore which happens at any club when a manager is around for years without winning. Poch himself looked like he needed to get out.

If Poch was truly invested (which by all accounts he wasn't this season as he was hoping to win CL then leave) this squad would be much higher in the table.

For your other comment, Alderweireld had a buyout clause of £25m. Nobody took him for that even though all season we heard how he would be bought up in minutes once the window opened.

I agree Wanyama is a write off but that's why they couldn't sell him. You can't buy two or three defenders when you have 3 or 4 players on the wage bill not able to be sold.

No Eriksen is much better then this Eriksen. He hasn't looked like he has cared since September of last season. When the first rumored move to Madrid fell apart he lost interest in Spurs and refused a new contract.

If players won't extend their contracts and you can't sell them, your options are very limited.

That's exactly what the rift was, some players not feeling up to working with this manager. Yes, it happens and it can be dealt with. You either change the players or change the coach. Spurs did neither and just let the conflict brew. Whether it's a matter of "can't" or "won't" remains unclear and doesn't really matter.

Re: Alderweireld, selling a player below his buyout clause is a possible thing that can be done, but Spurs refused to do that. Same goes for Rose, he could be at Watford right now if someone didn't get greedy.

You can't buy defenders, but you can pay ridiculous millions to a washed-up Portuguese coach? Okay.

It's really fascinating how the issue is that players want to leave and the club doesn't want to sell them (or the other way around depending on the particular case), but the one at fault for this is somehow the coach.
  • Ashy
    12603 posts Has That Special Something
    I feel the need to do an Arsenal CM and sort this club out in my alternate reality
  • Wyojasond
    15358 posts World Class
    Ashy wrote: »
    I feel the need to do an Arsenal CM and sort this club out in my alternate reality

😂 things could be worse @Ashy, you could be a ManU fan trying to figure out what the hell to do 😂
  • WestardLord
    2025 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ashy wrote: »
    Are you me?

I'm considering booting up that Thierry Henry story again for the very same thing.
This discussion has been closed.