The Ultimate Icon Swaps Player Choice Guide

xxFifaLegendxxx
1891 posts Play-Off Hero
edited November 13
Now that the second batch are here, all icons can now be unlocked. I'll be going over each icon individually going over their pros and cons, as well as going through some good combinations to get. I'll also be listing cheap gold alternatives to each icon. I'm played with and/or against almost all of these at some point this year so judging them from that along with their stats.

Also, keep in mind the nations of these icons for chemistry links with the players that would like to have in your squad. E.g. If you want Messi, then Zanetti or Crespo would be great since they'd give him a strong link

86 Schmeichel - 6 Tokens
No point at all in going for this one. Even though he's cheap, there's better regular gold keepers out there for next to nothing. 3/10. Alternatives - Pretty much any 83+ rated gold keeper.

87 Okocha - 8 Tokens
Could be a fun one to use with the 5 star skills. However, with poor pace, finishing and only 70 stamina, Okocha just isn't going to be a competitive player. 5/10. Alternatives - Mahrez, Sancho.

85 Guardiola - 8 Tokens
A decent defensive mid and for only 8 tokens, this one is certainly one to consider. Quite a few very high in game stats with 87 composure, 87 short passing, 89 defensive awareness (marking), 86 interceptions. His pace and physical are average at best though and with very poor shooting, he isn't a high tier CDM. 7/10. Alternatives - Allan, IF Delaney

89 Giggs - 9 Tokens
3 star skills and 2 star weak foot are massive down sides to this card, but if you can look past that he's decent overall. His crossing and both short and long passing are both phenomenal, dribbling is also very good. I wouldn't recommend going for this one, but if you're a huge fan of Giggs and insist on going for this card, I'd suggest using him at RM, there you will at least get the most use out of his passing, he also has medium/medium work rates which would make him a pretty good RM. If you plan on using him as a RW/RF though, don't bother, he will be awful. 5/10 Alternatives - Scream Diego Laxalt.

88 Nesta - 9 Tokens
I know most would look at this card and instantly be put off by that 70 pace, it's a downside yes, but he positions himself so good that it often doesn't even matter that he's lacking in pace, probably down to his 90 defensive awareness. He has 36 agility so he's going to turn like a bus. But other than the pace and agility, he is an absolute rock at the back. This is easily the defender that I've played against the most from these icon swaps and each time I find it difficult getting past him. 7.5/10

86 Roberto Carlos - 11 Tokens
Easily one of the best left backs in the game right now, no question about it. Absolutely rapid and such a great all rounder, he could play pretty much anywhere on the pitch. The only real negative about this card is that he's only 5'6, but he has 84 jumping which pretty much makes up for that. Such a solid LB and for only 11 tokens, this one is a bargain. 9/10. Alternatives - IF Semedo, IF Hernandez.

85 Crespo - 12 Tokens
A solid all round striker. 4 star/4 star, 6'0 with 88 agility and 82 balance, also 90 finishing. Can't go wrong with baby Crespo, not exactly a high tier striker but he's not far off, could do the job until around TOTS. 8/10. Alternatives - Mertens, Scream Aspas.

86 Kluivert - 12 Tokens
Straight away for 12 tokens, he's not as good as Crespo. High/low workrates so that's one thing he has over Crespo, but other than he doesn't have much else over Crespo. 6'2 with 88 jumping so great in the air, too bad heading is irrelevant this year. Decent passing for a striker too with 82 short and 75 long passing. Both agility and balance stats are in the 70s. Unless you need a dutch icon for chemisty, go with Crespo instead. 7/10. Alternatives - Scream Gamiero

89 Klose - 12 Tokens
A great all round finisher with 93 jumping, 92 heading accuracy, 90 positioning, 91 finishing and 90 reactions, along with a 4 star weak foot. But other than his amazing finishing, he offers very little in other areas. Not the quickest with only 82 sprint speed and only 3 star skills to go with that. Can't recommend him at all as there's just too many better options available. 6/10. Alternatives - Mandzukic, IF Abraham.

86 Ballack - 14 Tokens
4 star/4 star, medium attack/high defensive work rates. His downsides are 60 agility and 68 balance, along with only 72 pace. Other than that, he is absolutely phenomenal everywhere else and can do it all, 92 shot power, 88 long shots, 83 finishing. This guy can play CDM and have better finishing and shooting than most strikers, combine that with 86 passing and 83 physical and you have one of the best all rounders in the game. Would recommend him at either CDM or CM. Whilst he could do a job at CAM, I wouldn't recommend it due to his main weaknesses being his pace, agility and balance. 8/10. Alternatives - Scream Carvalho, IF Saul, Vidal.

88 Pirlo - 14 Tokens
I love Pirlo and really wanted to like this card but I just couldn't. His passing and dribbling are insane, with those 5 star skills, 4 star weak foot, but that is all he has and for a CM, you need more. He's slow, weak and with poor defending he has to play CAM, he has at least decent shooting. He could maybe do the job at CM but I wouldn't recommend it. If he was cheaper I'd say he could be worth a shot, but for 14 Tokens there's no reason to even consider him. 6/10. Alternatives - Modric, Thiago.

90 Keane - 15 Tokens
A very solid CM/CDM. Similar to Ballack but more defensive. Shooting and passing are both in the low 70s, although he does have 84 long shots. His passing is amazing 92 short passing and 89 long passing, also has 92 composure and 92 reactions, along with 94 interceptions, 94 stand tackle and 87 slide tackle. His physical is also second to none. You're not going to get any good strong links, but he would make an amazing CDM. 8/10. Alternatives - Casemerio, IF Nainggolan

87 Rivaldo - 15 Tokens
2 star weak and 4 star skills. Very good pace, shooting, passing and dribbling, although he does only have 77 balance. 90 long shots and shot power so could bang them in for fun, at least he could if keepers weren't as good as they are this year. Not bad overall but that 2 star weak foot is a killer, pretty much ruins the card. 6/10. Alternatives - Dybala

89 Wright - 16 Tokens
Absolutely rapid with 90 attack positioning and 92 finishing, his pace and shooting are where he excels. Dribbling is a bit disappointing with 79 in game dribbling, 83 agility and 79 balance. For a 5'9 player you'd certainly expect more in agility and balance, not awful in those stats though. He has 3 star skills and 4 star weak foot, also 86 heading accuracy. Not bad overall, but nothing special. 7/10. Alternatives - Aubameyang

85 Ferdinand - 16 Tokens
One of the best CBS on the game right now. His deference isn't amazing compared to some, with all his in game defending stats being between 83-86, not bad but could be higher. 84 pace more than makes up for it though, also has 85 strength, along with good passing and dribbling for a CB (78 short passing, 77 long passing, 78 ball control). I'd definitely recommend Ferdinand, easily could stay in your team until TOTS, if not all year. 9/10. Alternatives - Varane, Hernandez.

92 Zanetti - 17 Tokens
Another one that could easily stay in your team all year around, only issue is that RB isn't a significant part of the pitch so he won't make a huge impact and for 17 tokens it could be a bit of a waste. In terms of how good he is though, he is easily the best RB in the game, 90 defending, 94 short passing, 91 reactions, 92 ball control, 92 stamina, in fact he's too good for RB, if you go for him then why not move him to CM/CDM in game? His only down side is 50 jumping and 2 star skills, but defending headers is almost irrelevant this year, just means he will be weak at winning headers from goal kicks. One thing I will say however, unless you're getting him to change his position in game, I'd say go with Roberto Carlos instead. Zanetti is better than Carlos but with there being much better right backs in the game than left backs, I'd say Carlos and Walker/Cancelo would be a better combo than Alaba/Zanetti for example. Another thing I want to mention is that he could instantly put Messi on full Chem in a 451, so that's something to keep in mind. 9/10. Alternatives - Cancelo, Walker, Scream Trippier.

90 Rui Costa - 17 Tokens
Amazing dribbling and passing with both at 88, 4 star/4 star as well. His finishing is pretty poor at 75, but he does have 85 long shots and 89 attack positioning. 86 pace as well, and 84 strength which is something that I feel is pretty rare on higher tier CAMs. Could also give you a strong link to Ronaldo. Pretty good overall. 8/10. Alternatives - Reus.

89 Sanchez - 17 Tokens
A very disappointing card. He's fast and has good finishing, but his finishing often seems inconsistent, probably due to the fact he has 58 composure, 58 composure on a high tier striker?!!! As if that wasn't bad enough, he has 3 star skills and 3 star weak foot. He's just not good enough, especially for 17 tokens. Definitely avoid. 5/10. Alternatives - Insigne

Base icon pack - 18 Tokens
Now we're really getting into the higher tier options and what better way to gamble it all with a base icon pack? You could at least get Peter Schmeichel to go along with it, but let's be honest, it'll probably be Scmeichel in the pack. Avoid.

87 Butragueno - 19 Tokens
He is great, his base stats actually aren't actually that impressive, but he has 5 star weak foot which makes his finishing very good. 90 pace, 90 attack positioning, 91 finishing. Agility and balance both in the high 80s and he's only 5'6 so he has a very low centre of gravity and feels very nice on the ball. Even though he's only 5'6, he does have 82 jumping and 82 heading accuracy so he will still win headers. Also has decent passing. Definitely a high tier striker, he does only have 3 star skills though which is a shame. 8/10. Alternatives - IF Ben Yedder, Aguero.

89 Gerrard - 19 Tokens
A very good all rounder, a very high tier CM. He should stay at CM too, he feels too clunky to play CAM, probably due to 75 agility and 71 balance. Isn't good enough defensively to play CDM. CM is perfect for him. He does also only have 3 star/3 star which isn't ideal, not a deal breaker though. 80 pace gives him the edge over the likes of Ballack and Keane, but only slightly, he doesn't feel a whole lot better than Ballack, just slightly quicker like you'd imagine. 7/10. Alternatives - De Bruyne.

91 Hagi - 20 Tokens
Looks outstanding, 83 pace, 92 long shots, 93 shot power, 85 finishing, 92 short passing, 88 long passing, 90 dribbling as well with 86 and 84 agility and balance. Even has 4 star/star. Physical is a bit low but it's not a huge deal, pretty much his only down side. Overall, everything you would want in a CAM, potentially the best in the game right now. 9/10. Alternatives - Scream Rodriguez.

91 Owen 20 Tokens
90 pace with 94 attacking positioning and 94 finishing, this Owen card can finish his dinner with seconds. 4 star weak foot too, it does feel like he's missing something in game though, he's a deadly finisher but he does only have the 3 star skills. Very similar to Butragueno, I will say he feels like a poor mans Butragueno though. A good striker but for 20 tokens, I'd just go with Butragueno. 7.5/10. Alternatives - Butragueno, IF Ben Yedder, Aguero.

89 Drogba - 23 Tokens
For 23 tokens, you'd expect Drogba to be easily one of the best strikers in the game and he is exactly that. Only 70 agility and 66 balance with 85 pace. He doesn't feel as clunky as his card might suggest, don't get me wrong, he's certainly no Messi or anything like that when it comes to dribbling but he's not awful. He does also have the 4 star/4 star, high/high work rates too but he's fine on stay forward. He simply doesn't get pushed off the ball and actually feels slightly quicker due to his 92 strength. 92 attack positioning, 93 finishing and 91 shot power, he's as clinical as you like. My main concern with Drogba is that his height and heading ability feels so wasted on FIFA 20 so I can't help but feel like he can't be used to his fullest potential, still easily one of the best strikers in the game though 8.5/10. Alternatives - Scream Ibrahimovic.

So there's a bit of a review/opinion on each icon, now I'll give some options for a combo for those not wanting to go with the higher end icons.

Ferdinand/Guardiola 24 tokens
This will probably be the most common combination out of the lot. I feel like they would be suited well together too with them both playing defensive roles, would definitely recommend this combo.

Schmeichel/Otocha/Guardiola 22 tokens.
For those of you that want quantity over quality, it's possible to get three icons from this, three very low tier ones though. Guardiola is good but the other two are meh at best. Wouldn't recommend it but the option is there.

Keane/Nesta 24 tokens
Similar to the Guardiola/Ferdinand combo, this is another option for those wanting the more defensive icons, can't go wrong with these too either, slower than Guardiola/Ferdinand but much more defensively solid.

Ballack/Guardiola 22 tokens
This one would be great for giving chemistry to a squad with a mix of players, would also play great together.

Crespo/Roberto Carlos 23 tokens
Another popular one I'd imagine, a very solid all round striker with arguably the best left back in the game, solid combination.

Feel free to give your thoughts and anything to add to this post, also would like to know which icon(s) you guys are going for.
Post edited by xxFifaLegendxxx on

Comments

• SStubbs88
    210 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Great guide. I keep debating which striker to get. I even keep comparing them on futbin all the time. Was leaning towards butra so your guide has really helped. Cheers.
  • TW1103
    1043 posts Professional
    I'm going with Okotcha over Guardiola. Mostly because I used to like JJ when I was a kid, but also because I've heard he is fun to use, and apparently you don't really notice his lack of pace. Besides, no point taking Pep when I'm planning on buying Kante soon.
    Good read though mate!
  • xxFifaLegendxxx
    1891 posts Play-Off Hero
    SStubbs88 wrote: »
    Great guide. I keep debating which striker to get. I even keep comparing them on futbin all the time. Was leaning towards butra so your guide has really helped. Cheers.

Thanks. Yeah, Butragueno is amazing, I might even get him myself, if only he had 4 star skills
  • xxFifaLegendxxx
    1891 posts Play-Off Hero
    TW1103 wrote: »
    I'm going with Okotcha over Guardiola. Mostly because I used to like JJ when I was a kid, but also because I've heard he is fun to use, and apparently you don't really notice his lack of pace. Besides, no point taking Pep when I'm planning on buying Kante soon.
    Good read though mate!

Thanks mate, are you gonna be playing JayJay at RW or RM? I wish there was another 8 token option, Guardiola probably wouldn't stay in my team for long enough
  • BeastlyHusla
    3728 posts National Call-Up
    I'll try and push for 11 tokens for the R.Carlos. Sitting on 5 from first season as personally don't really care for them.
  • CaptainDan-
    1547 posts Play-Off Hero
    Good guide mate, don't disagree with much at all. I'm going Rio/pep
  • Texas6
    196 posts Sunday League Hero
    Great guide!
  • TW1103
    1043 posts Professional
    Good read though mate!

Thanks mate, are you gonna be playing JayJay at RW or RM? I wish there was another 8 token option, Guardiola probably wouldn't stay in my team for long enough

At RM, in a 4-4-1-1 (2)
  • xxFifaLegendxxx
    1891 posts Play-Off Hero
    Good read though mate!

At RM, in a 4-4-1-1 (2)

Best place for him IMO, the lack of pace and shooting won't be as apparent
  • juliuscaesar8
    552 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Great job on the guide!
  • xxFifaLegendxxx
    1891 posts Play-Off Hero
    Great job on the guide!

Hope it helps!
  • Gone Postal
    280 posts Sunday League Hero
    Great guide! Had 10 tokens from first batch and got another today, so now have enough for Carlos but was gonna grind for someone better/more attacking! Now thinking may just take Carlos after reading this
  • AJS-17
    1135 posts Professional
    Great guide, I can't decide between ballack and Keane, so was hoping one had scored higher haha great read none the less
  • xxFifaLegendxxx
    1891 posts Play-Off Hero
    Great guide! Had 10 tokens from first batch and got another today, so now have enough for Carlos but was gonna grind for someone better/more attacking! Now thinking may just take Carlos after reading this

Thanks, yeah Carlos is amazing and with right backs being better than left backs this year he's a solid option. My only problem with the fullbacks is that they don't influence the game that much
  • xxFifaLegendxxx
    1891 posts Play-Off Hero
    AJS-17 wrote: »
    Great guide, I can't decide between ballack and Keane, so was hoping one had scored higher haha great read none the less

Thanks mate, I'd say if CDM then Keane, but if CM then Ballack
  • Amdp9
    3509 posts National Call-Up
    Thanks for great help and explaining everything , decision is still difficult for me lol 😂 can’t help myself. I am sitting at 20 tokens ATM just need to finish Bundes as online and rest are SB
  • xxFifaLegendxxx
    1891 posts Play-Off Hero
    Amdp9 wrote: »
    Thanks for great help and explaining everything , decision is still difficult for me lol 😂 can’t help myself. I am sitting at 20 tokens ATM just need to finish Bundes as online and rest are SB

No problem mate. Yeah it is a very hard decision, for me it's either gonna be Butragueno, Ferdinand/Pep, Ballack/Pep
  • V l u m s d e n
    1406 posts Play-Off Hero
    I got zanetti tbh non of them really interested me but he seemed the better option.
  • Primofusion
    684 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Giggs/Keane combination for me, can’t pass up the opportunity of 2 United icons in my team as a fan.
  • Stevo_CT
    3203 posts National Call-Up
    Very nice guide, thanks for sharing.
  • TW1103 wrote: »
    Good read though mate!

Nigerian spotted. Lol. Wehdone bros
  • graff26lfc
    49 posts Park Captain
    Excellent guide I was thinking pirlo with my Nesta but decided Carlos is better suited to my style
  • Safehands84
    3820 posts National Call-Up
    Good guide. I like your style , it reads like the racing pull out on grand national day when they give a run down of the runners and riders. Have you used Drogba? He was my choice but i packed 90 RVN and all reviews I've watched and read day hes average.
  • Primofusion
    684 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I’ve played vs Drogba a few times and he’s not scored once, don’t really see him as a threat. Butra on the other hand, he scored a hat trick and a brace vs my defence, he’s a right handful.
  • KING_HENKE
    650 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Great work. Rivaldo is 15 tokens though, not 16 ;)
  • Phinnonymous
    273 posts Sunday League Hero
    Took Zanetti as he is the option that makes the most sense in my opinion. I don't think any other player would make it to the end.
  • WarrenBarton
    8400 posts League Winner
    Nice 👍
  • xxFifaLegendxxx
    1891 posts Play-Off Hero
    Good guide. I like your style , it reads like the racing pull out on grand national day when they give a run down of the runners and riders. Have you used Drogba? He was my choice but i packed 90 RVN and all reviews I've watched and read day hes average.

Thanks, yeah used Drogba last month as I wanted to get a good feel for the card. I'd say he's above average but my main issue is that I feel like his main strength of areal threat is wasted this year. He is very good though, you really notice his strength and shooting, actually feels better on the ball than I thought he would
  • xxFifaLegendxxx
    1891 posts Play-Off Hero
    I’ve played vs Drogba a few times and he’s not scored once, don’t really see him as a threat. Butra on the other hand, he scored a hat trick and a brace vs my defence, he’s a right handful.

Yeah he can't be used to his full potential due to heading being massively nerfed. I gave him a slightly higher rating than Butragueno since he has more in his locker, with that said though, Butragueno is more of my type of striker, small and agile and good with both feet. My main issue with Butragueno is the 3 star skills and I feel that Ben Yedder has potential to be better than baby Butragueno with his next in form
  • xxFifaLegendxxx
    1891 posts Play-Off Hero
    KING_HENKE wrote: »
    Great work. Rivaldo is 15 tokens though, not 16 ;)

Thanks, edited