Career Mode Story Help Thread (Resources, Graphics, Collabs and General Help)

Alastair
10077 posts Moderator
The Career Mode Story Help Thread is a thread where you can get any help you need with your career mode story.

This thread is a merger of the old Resource, Graphics and Collab threads as well being a general story help thread. Use this thread to browse for resources to use in your stories, show off and get feedback on your latest work in progress graphics, find a partner to do a Collab with or just ask for any other general help and advice with your story.

Comments

• Alastair
    10077 posts Moderator
    FAQs

What is a Career Mode Story?
    • A Career Mode Story is story of a members progress on FIFA Career Mode. It can be as detailed or as simple as the writer wants it to be and it can even be in video format. You do not need to be able to make graphics to do a story. Stories can be done in almost every mode of the game but Career Mode and Tournament Mode are the two most commonly done.

What is a Collab?
    • A Collab is a collaboration between two (or more) members. The most common examples are if one member plays the matches and writes the updates and another member makes all the graphics.

Where should I start?
    • Feel free to jump into any story in the section and comment on in, it doesn't matter if you only start reading part way through a story, the writer will be as happy to see you if you join on page 1 or page 100.

You might also like to introduce yourself to the rest of the members in the section, to do that why not make a post on the Chat Thread saying hi and maybe even letting us know a bit about who you like using in CM.

If you want to start a story and want some advice on anything to do with the thread then use this thread. We will be more than happy to help answer any of your questions to help you.

If you have any questions about the forum then please send one of the Career Mode Stories moderators a message. The Career Mode Stories moderators are:
      Why is no-one commenting on my story?
      • There are various reasons people don't comment on stories. The most common reasons are you not commenting on anyone else's story (it is polite to return the favour if someone comments on yours), you ignore constructive criticism from members or you are a newer member. If it is because you are a newer member then stick with the story and over time more and more people will comment on it. Don't start several stories within a few days as this will put people off reading them. We like to think of CMS as a friendly community so in most cases people will comment on most stories but if you are unlucky and this doesn't happen then don't give up, people will comment if you are consistent.

How can I make my story mobile friendly?
      • This guide written by the Community Manager, Rob, explains how to make your forum content mobile friendly. It is written for people planning to write Guides but is equally applicable to users writing Career Mode Stories.

What formatting options are there to make my story look good?
      • This guide written by the one of the Writers, LT, explains how you can use BB code in your posts. It covers font size and colour as well as the options easily accessible from the bar of shortcuts available when making a post
  • Alastair
    10077 posts Moderator
    edited September 17
    MLyQ15C.png

This is a thread which aims to improve the quality of the stories on this forums by providing tutorials, graphics and other resources which are free for any member to use.

This pack contains tutorials, graphics and other resources which are free for any member to use for their story on this forums.

RrA8Thy.png

If you wish to add anything to the pack then feel free to post it here or send me a PM and I'll provide you with a URL you can use to directly upload it to the pack.

I am looking for someone to help compile this pack. If you're interested then please send me a PM and I can set up edit privileges to the folder for you.
  • Wyojasond
    12008 posts Has That Special Something
    What do you guys think of this for a scoreboard?

RQg93OB.jpg
  • Ahmer50x
    19198 posts World Class
    Not a huge fan of the background personally with the scratches and I'd probably change fonts though thats just preference
  • sviraman
    125 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I agree with Ahmer50x, the handwritten-looking font doesn't seem to me like a good fit for a scoreboard
  • Danimal5981
    2317 posts Fans' Favourite
    You're the playful, original type @Wyojasond - so I'd argue it fits you and your story
  • Stlducks
    1594 posts Play-Off Hero
    I like it @Wyojasond it fits your other graphics and story attitude. I also enjoy the simple look of it and think it will be easy for you to update during the season.
  • Wyojasond
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’ve made a few subtle changes to it and think I’ve found a good balance. I tend to change my scoreboards at the start of each new season so this may only be short term anyways 😂
  • Virtual_K
    1705 posts Play-Off Hero
    Just testing how down-scaled images appear.

2hK1vaC.png

C39KyUe.png

Stats:
    89oxubl.png
  • LAboog4
    668 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Looks really good Virtual_K!
  • Virtual_K
    1705 posts Play-Off Hero
    LAboog4 wrote: »

Thanks, I was just testing something. My new laptop creates these really large images when copying from Excel to Paint. I wanted to see how the images looked when down-scaled to a reasonable size.
  • LAboog4
    edited September 21
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    LAboog4 wrote: »

Thanks, I was just testing something. My new laptop creates these really large images when copying from Excel to Paint. I wanted to see how the images looked when down-scaled to a reasonable size.

I think the size looks perfect on my phone. Not sure about people who are looking from computers.
  • Danimal5981
    Down scaled, the standings image does not come out well on my monitor.
  • LAboog4
    edited September 22
    nUE4ETb.png
  • Ahmer50x
    19198 posts World Class
    ljmBSPA.png

Really don't like how the text on the right presents. Any ideas?
  • DB1512
    377 posts Sunday League Hero
    Maybe put the countryflag below the text?
  • sviraman
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    ljmBSPA.png

Really don't like how the text on the right presents. Any ideas?

The word "position" is redundant, I think everyone knows what those letters stand for. To reduce empty space, you could organize the text into single lines where possible. Where not, a possible solution is to align the lines differently, i.e. "role" left alignment, "important" right alignment. You may also want to separate the parameters visually, maybe add some space between them. As it is, "important" and "contract" look like parts of the same phrase.
  • LAboog4
    Maybe smaller text size? I like the rest but agree the text on the right looks strange.
  • Stlducks
    1594 posts Play-Off Hero
    Trying something different this year and going with monthly updates to progress quicker.

oQtTo8n.png
    SU8FqCw.png
  • Wyojasond
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Trying something different this year and going with monthly updates to progress quicker.

oQtTo8n.png
    SU8FqCw.png

Looks good man
  • Danimal5981
    edited October 6
    With the eye on staying close to reality, my match template will be somewhat close to AFC Ajax post-match images on Facebook. With a little twist of my own. There will be home, away and UCL / UEL versions. Thoughts?

WVep44T.png
  • sviraman
    Thoughts?

WVep44T.png
    A bit dark maybe, otherwise great 👍
  • Stlducks
    1594 posts Play-Off Hero
    With the eye on staying close to reality, my match template will be somewhat close to AFC Ajax post-match images on Facebook. With a little twist of my own. There will be home, away and UCL / UEL versions. Thoughts?

WVep44T.png

I like them. On mobile they look good but maybe that's because my brightness is turned up?

Has all the necessary info but doesn't look too detailed and overwhelming.
  • Wyojasond
    Looks good man 😎
  • exercisebike
    162 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Hi all, a quick and hopefully easy question. Where can I host images for my story? I’ve used photobucket in the past but it doesn’t seem reliable anymore. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
  • sviraman
    Hi all, a quick and hopefully easy question. Where can I host images for my story? I’ve used photobucket in the past but it doesn’t seem reliable anymore. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

imgur is the best one probably
  • Wyojasond
    Agree with Sviraman. Most of us use Imgur
  • Danimal5981
    sviraman wrote: »

imgur is the best one probably
    Agree with Sviraman. Most of us use Imgur

I can second that
  • exercisebike
    162 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Thank you!