Just can't get defending

SebastienEngelhart
350 posts Sunday League Hero
The more i play the worse i'm getting, literally losing all motivation to play this game.

Watched tutorials and read peoples help on here but im just getting worse and i cant even see how im going to get better.

Ive just watched Krasis tutorial and using his logic which looked good in theory. But theres just a few problems im having with it.

How on earth can i L2 jockey the player with the ball and control the defender whos tracking attacking players runs at the same time? Its not possible.

If i just jockey, im killed by through balls and passes accross the box because my AI controlled players just don't do anything, the ball usually rolls within a foot of them and they make no attempt to intercept.

If i switch to track the run i lose control of the jockeying defender, and R1 press to which they literally just chaperone the attacker towards the goal under no pressure.

Am i missing something here, i can't control them both at the same time. There is no humanly way to switch between the two defenders quick enough, the ball will already be in the back of the net with the way the attackers fly past.

I'm not even gonna touch upon manual tackling because as soon as l2 is released the attacker just flies past my defender.

It seems my only hope is jockey and hope the AI intercepts something for me. And half the time they do that the attacker steamrolls into me before ive even got time to react and ive lost it again.

Yet it seemd like some people I play have their AI controlled defenders steam out into my striker when ive played to feet, so i don't know if theres some new button combination for that. Other times they literally lunge 10 feet accross the pitch to tackle me, yet when i try it my players just lunge in slow motion past the player and the attackers in on goal.

Desperate for any help from anyone whos got defending down now because im just losing more and more interest in this game with each passing game.

Comments

• NotdaGOAT
    266 posts Sunday League Hero
    The more i play the worse i'm getting, literally losing all motivation to play this game.

Watched tutorials and read peoples help on here but im just getting worse and i cant even see how im going to get better.

Ive just watched Krasis tutorial and using his logic which looked good in theory. But theres just a few problems im having with it.

How on earth can i L2 jockey the player with the ball and control the defender whos tracking attacking players runs at the same time? Its not possible.

If i just jockey, im killed by through balls and passes accross the box because my AI controlled players just don't do anything, the ball usually rolls within a foot of them and they make no attempt to intercept.

If i switch to track the run i lose control of the jockeying defender, and R1 press to which they literally just chaperone the attacker towards the goal under no pressure.

Am i missing something here, i can't control them both at the same time. There is no humanly way to switch between the two defenders quick enough, the ball will already be in the back of the net with the way the attackers fly past.

I'm not even gonna touch upon manual tackling because as soon as l2 is released the attacker just flies past my defender.

It seems my only hope is jockey and hope the AI intercepts something for me. And half the time they do that the attacker steamrolls into me before ive even got time to react and ive lost it again.

Yet it seemd like some people I play have their AI controlled defenders steam out into my striker when ive played to feet, so i don't know if theres some new button combination for that. Other times they literally lunge 10 feet accross the pitch to tackle me, yet when i try it my players just lunge in slow motion past the player and the attackers in on goal.

Desperate for any help from anyone whos got defending down now because im just losing more and more interest in this game with each passing game.

Right there with you. Im at a loss
  • The_Unknown
    245 posts Sunday League Hero
    High pressure high aggression
  • Salvatori
    1250 posts Professional
    Yeah, i am also losing interest in the game because i cannot defend at all. I can deal with being cut open by a nice passing move or the occasional nice bit of skill, but my opponents dont do that. They just jog round me. Or do a 1 - 2 pass and in on goal, because AI doesnt track (i try the same, somehow they track it......).

I tried drop back 4 / 2 to see if it made me any better, if scummy and boring. Nope, miles worse. Just get cut to ribbons even more.

Tried aggresive interceptions on DC's to try and help. Nope. About as aggresive as a mouse. At a total loss now
  • SebastienEngelhart
    edited October 2
    It literally feels like some of my opponents are playing on fifa 19 settings, where their defenders are constantly magnetized to the ball.
    It seems like people say drop back deep and others say play high pressure. So its one extreme or the other?
    Tbh dont think either will help me because, i can't even dispossess a player whos 1 yard away from me, while my opponent can lunge 20 years in the blink of an eye at me.
  • F15HCAKE
    23 posts Last Pick at the Park
    edited October 2
    You track runners up to their point that you deem the run dangerous, as soon as you feel that their runner has past their most opportune place to receive to ball, switch back to your jockeying player.

Make sure you have jockeying set to manual obviously because you can remain a lot tighter and the tighter you get to the player the narrower the angle they have to be able to make a pass anywhere. Position your jockey slightly towards where you anticipate a pass. Defenders with high standing tackles shouldn't be undervalued either, Koulibaly's legs seem so long and I'm quite successful committing to tackles with him. Just make sure you have cover when doing that.

Keep fiddling with tactics until your midfield are sufficiently aiding your defence. I recommend narrow setups because it forces your opponent wider which is a bit easier to defend and you're not letting your opponent do what they want to do which is play those 1-2s in the middle as much as possible. Sometimes I even encourage my opponent to make the wide pass because I'm more confident to defend that.

• Salvatori
    1250 posts Professional
    It literally feels like some of my opponents are playing on fifa 19 settings, where their defenders are constantly magnetized to the ball.
    It seems like people say drop back deep and others say play high pressure. So its one extreme or the other?
    Tbh dont think either will help me because, i can't even dispossess a player whos 1 yard away from me, while my opponent can lunge 20 years in the blink of an eye at me.

Exactly my situation. I cant even explain how wierd it looks. They dont have to do anything. What is driving me most mad, is yesterday it was not like this........the day before it was, the day before that it was not.

I totally get you are gonna face a mix of levels of opponents, especially this early in the cycle, but i feel like im playing a different game every day.
  • number7rocky
    4488 posts National Call-Up
    NotdaGOAT wrote: »

• Gnomenclature
    3937 posts National Call-Up
    It will take more than a week to get good at defending. Its a major change to the game for a lot of folks who (understandable) let the ai defend last year...

The l1/l2 sprint jockey is incredibly powerful. It makes a 60 paced 50 balanced defender feel like a ballerina.
  • bobby2
    125 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Try placing your jockey on manual. I turn off switching also none. If you backline too wide apart you get torn to bits- 2 or 3 spacing is good- width the same. Don't be constantly switching just track the attacker and then switch to player with the ball. In division 4 heading into division 3.
  • Baddest_cubza_1
    2327 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited October 2
    Let’s not forget about delay chaps, I fully believe that is a factor
  • SebastienEngelhart
    It will take more than a week to get good at defending. Its a major change to the game for a lot of folks who (understandable) let the ai defend last year...

The l1/l2 sprint jockey is incredibly powerful. It makes a 60 paced 50 balanced defender feel like a ballerina.

Agree absolutely but surely not everyone i seem to be facing has mastered it already?
  • Headshrinker363
    5418 posts Big Money Move
    NotdaGOAT wrote: »

• Salvatori
    1250 posts Professional
    Yeah im in div 6 and getting ***** every game so how have players at that level somehow mastered it? Every goal i concede is a total joke at the moment. I can hammer teams with possession and chances, but it matters not a bit when basically every opposing attack has about a 70% chance of a goal. The only reason it is that low is that Oblak is a complete beast in goal
  • ViezeDries
    844 posts Semi-Pro
    edited October 2
    Set jockey to manual
    Jockey with L2 R2 (sometimes release R2 for precision, it's your "brake")
    Focus on ballhandler (hehehe) movement
    Be veeeeeery patient
    Time your tackle

Thats the steps needed. And trust me, I know it sounds easier than it is but if you actually get the hang of it it is so fun to do and to see people just rage quit because they can't get past a 352 defense.
  • Salvatori
    1250 posts Professional
    ViezeDries wrote: »
    Set jockey to manual
    Jockey with L2 R2 (sometimes release R2 for precision, it's your "brake")
    Focus on ballhandler (hehehe) movement
    Be veeeeeery patient
    Time your tackle

Thats the steps needed. And trust me, I know it sounds easier than it is but if you actually get the hang of it it is so fun to do and to see people just rage quit because they can't get past a 352 defense.

Was ready to post to say this is good advice, the L2 + R2 bit is effective. Read your post, started up another game, was off to a nice 3 v 1 lead and defending comfortably.

Until 65mins. Lost 4 v 3. THIS GAME
  • joehuk
    3427 posts National Call-Up
    edited October 2
    F15HCAKE wrote: »
    You track runners up to their point that you deem the run dangerous, as soon as you feel that their runner has past their most opportune place to receive to ball, switch back to your jockeying player.

This is where EA have gone wrong. My idea of manual defending is going 1to1 with the attacker most of the time not running around tracking runs, that to me is what AI defending was in fifa 19.

So basically so called manual defending is not actually that it's AI defending from my point of view.

Now I'm going 1v1 none stop getting torn apart because tackling is still abysmal and my AI is doing sweet FA

Also doing what you said and keep switching between tracker and jockey player jeez not s pray with current player select.
  • SStubbs88
    210 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I'm having a bit of bother with a lot of the new defending but I've just noticed in my last game whilst I'm controlling one centre back to try and tackle the ball holder my other centre back is hardly moving at all. Like nearly standing still whatever is happening around him. So the other players team can just run past him for an easy threw ball. Is there settings which make your defence into lazy idiots?
  • 3MenandaBebe
    2652 posts Fans' Favourite
    Guys it so easy. Use R1 to contain the player with the ball and jockey to cut passing lane

What’s hard?
  • Headshrinker363
    Guys it so easy. Use R1 to contain the player with the ball and jockey to cut passing lane

What’s hard?

Getting used to using R1. Haven’t used second man contain in years. Maybe that’s why I was a gold 2 player last year.
  • Dragon0102
    125 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    This is by far the best defending in fifa. Jockey works perfectly... except at 45-90 mins and when delay makes the players respond like they are stuck in mud.

But defending and jockey system is perfect. Just do it like a real match.
    Jockey the ball carrier. Position the defender so that the opponent has to go past you. Ball won.
  • 3MenandaBebe

What’s hard?

Getting used to using R1. Haven’t used second man contain in years. Maybe that’s why I was a gold 2 player last year.

So practise.

It’s literally never been easier to defend because passing error (for attackers is so high).

Contain with 2nd man, use L2+R2 to jockey in the space and cut passing lane.

I’m in d2. Defending is easy. Attacking is hard. All games are so low scoring with almost every goal being due to rebounds

Fifa 20 is even lower skill than Fifa 19
  • Headshrinker363

What’s hard?

So practise.

It’s literally never been easier to defend because passing error (for attackers is so high).

Contain with 2nd man, use L2+R2 to jockey in the space and cut passing lane.

I’m in d2. Defending is easy. Attacking is hard. All games are so low scoring with almost every goal being due to rebounds

Fifa 20 is even lower skill than Fifa 19

I will do, it’s just hard getting used to what is a new skill to me.
  • FCBlunt
    2739 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited October 2
    You should’t use L2 all over the pitch. You can easily pick up passes if you get infront of your opponents.

Spread your midfield players and manually mark players in the middle. It’s easier to defend wing play that balls through the middle.

Once it’s at the wing, use your fullback to track the winger. Always expect a skillmove, him cutting inside or recycling the ball. Aka. Just track his movements, once he pulls the dragback/whatever. You move in for the ball and sprint away. If he tries to cut inside, cut out passing lanes for cutbacks while jockeying in said space.

I could never explain it really, you would have to play me to see.
    I’m all outta trial tho.

GL.
    Remember.
    Stay calm and tackle with purpose.
    Dont run at your opponent, read your opponent and cut out his next move.

I cut our more passes than I make tackles sometimes. If you’re smart about it, you can furstrate your opponent enough that you don’t have to tackle. They will doubt themselves and play into your traps.

Best tip/ Create fake space where you’re confident you can win the ball. Works wonders for me.
  • Hayter
    395 posts Sunday League Hero

What’s hard?

Never used r1 pre patch and didn’t need too. If we are ment to be using that it takes away manual defending. It also opens space by dragging a man out of position
  • Theomanny
    1671 posts Fans' Favourite
    442(2) every goddam man on come back on defence. Jockey with your 2 cdm and watch the magic. Do not u se drop back but set on balanced. They will attack together all at once for a quick counter.
  • 3MenandaBebe
    edited October 2
    Hayter wrote: »

What’s hard?

Never used r1 pre patch and didn’t need too. If we are ment to be using that it takes away manual defending. It also opens space by dragging a man out of position

I always know within about 2 ingame mins if I’m playing someone good (who uses multiple players at time to defend) or someone terrible who just uses 1 player
  • Hayter
    395 posts Sunday League Hero
    But using an AI defender isn’t manual defending is it.
  • Revolve2099
    104 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Use man mark on one of your CDMS. I start with 433(3) with Goretzka and Allan, then switch to a two CDM formation such as 4222, 4231, 4231(2), 433(4). The use one of your CDMS to man mark and the other to cut passing lanes. I do find that defenders that track back properly, but now with man mark, they track back immediately.

I love this new defending system, your so used to the AI spoon feeding you in defence and now you need to think about your defensive tactics.

Last night cam across 4 high press/constant pressure noobs, went down 2 nill in one game, 3 nill in another, but managed to slap them silly. Bounced back and scored 6 goals in the second half. I looked at what my opponent was doing, and all he was doing is just passing it to the wings, cutting inside and 1 twos to score.

So I needed to switch my defense tactics and instructions. Switched Allan to drop in between defenders, and still man mark. Gorezka, stay back and man mark. I then use the jockey to cut the pass lanes my self.

Then my opponents couldnt play, and was doing easy tap ins.

The other games were just a walk in the park with 1st rage quits.

My issue at the moment is keepers. Keepers I used so far Alisson, Courtois, Pavlenka, Gulacsi (all ****), some how my opponents **** 700 coin keeprs make better saves than my keepers.

This is my only issue just the keepers. Once I get this sorted out and with the proper Keeper tactics (still testing this) I should be fine.