How do we save Career mode?

For all of us that bought the new FIFA it´s obvious - Career mode continues to be a copy paste job - and this year its released with so many gamebreaking bugs that i feel robbed for buying it.
Seriously EA - shame on you.

Everybody in this community knows what Career mode can be, how fun you can have playing it so of course we get upset when this is what we get.

How do we save career mode? What can we as a community do?

Monetization?
Can the mode somehow include this? Money=effort (apperently the 60 dollars i bought the game for does not include effort)

Separate game?
Is the answer to not have career mode in the same game as online features such as FUT, a career mode that has to stand on its own legs might actually not be released broken.

Should EA just try?
Maybe beta test it before release? Maybe listen to the people that put hours into career mode and try to work some of their suggestions into the game?

What are your suggestions - how do we save career mode?

Comments

• marcx666
    109 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    They did the beta, and half the issues that are prevalent now, wern't there in the Beta........
  • JazzIsName
    383 posts Sunday League Hero
    A good conversation to have and I applaud you for starting it.

Monetization:

Well, the fact is, the game is monetized. I paid £75 for mine. That's a lot of money for a game. There is plenty of profit in the game from the sale of it alone. However, they also have the dreadful microtransactions of FUT which push the profits to unbelievable levels. There is no justification for career mode being in the state it's in. And there is no excuse for underfunding development of the mode. I quoted The Daily Telegraph in a thread the other day which stated that FIFA 2018 sold over 23 million copies and produced over $3 billion in revenue. Think about that for a minute. This game is not something that is built from scratch every year. It's tweaked a little and little things added and taken away. So I don't believe they have a full development team on it all year round like a developer would when starting a completely new project. The development costs are comparatively low even for their glorious FUT mode. It's obvious that Career Mode is woefully understaffed and underfunded but how much in percentage terms of $3billion is, let's just say, 20 extra developers for Career Mode? It's really not a lot, is it? Drops in the ocean stuff. Yea, I know there are many other costs and when it comes to a FIFA game there are licences etc but believe me, this is simply about greed. It's about getting as much as possible for as little as possible.

And OK, if you agreed to MORE monetization, what in career mode would be monetized? Would you be happy to pay £60, 70, 80, 90 for your game and then have to buy the stadiums to play in? Because I wouldn't. Should I have to buy Newcastle United 3rd kit? It's a preposterous notion. What about making me pay for my team flights to Champions League matches? Yeah, you can laugh but beyond paying for cosmetics like tattoos and boots for player editing what can you actually charge more for? Should I be paying for players with actual cash? Madness! I suspect this is why FUT was created to begin with. But what have they done for career mode with those unprecedented vaults full of cash? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

It's not unreasonable to expect improvements to career mode annually for the cost of the game. And, it's absolutely fundamental that it be playable, which it isn't this year. Throwing more money at these greedy so and so's isn't the answer. The culture there needs to change. From where I sit we are treated in a contemptible fashion and as a customer that should matter to them. The problem at the moment is their lack of professional pride, lack of commitment to customer satisfaction and total commitment to greed, their shareholders and a new kind of 'total profit' which, by the way, is unsustainable in the long term.

Separate game?:

I have been pondering this but see all kinds of issues with it. Licensing issues and added development costs. I'm no expert of course and I'm just speculating but I can't see how this would not increase licensing costs to the point where one or both of the titles would suffer and guess which one it would likely be? If I end up with a FIFA game lacking all the top leagues and stadiums why wouldn't I just buy PES? It's bad enough we lost Juventus and various other teams and stadiums this year. If there could be separation without losing anything then great but I don't think it can happen. EA won't go for this for many reasons. It makes little sense from a business sense to massively increase production costs splitting the two. It would be far more cost-effective to just employ that 20 guys I spoke of earlier and start trying to do better.

The only way I can see this happening is if the governments of the world start saying FUT loot boxes IS gambling and if you want to sell that it has to have an adult rating on the box. Which, honestly, I believe this will happen eventually. I believe they would then either split the game up or dump career mode altogether. Only they know the stats of exactly of what percentage of people play Career Mode and whether it would actually be worth their time releasing versions of FIFA, much as they were before this infernal and hateful FUT crap. Honestly, I despise what it has done to this game I love. I just hate it. When it first appeared I KNEW this would happen. I moaned about it to my mates then.

Should EA just try?
    Maybe beta test it before release? Maybe listen to the people that put hours into career mode and try to work some of their suggestions into the game?

Yes, they should try. I believe this is the answer. It's the best solution at this point for all involved. It's the most cost-effective one for them and it's the best one for us. If they employ those extra and competent staff and actively try to fix and steadily improve the mode every year they will keep us happy and paying whilst still standing the chance of us playing FUT now and again. If they carry on down this road of forcing us out or away they lose our sales. This may not be a problem now but when the FUT train derails in the courts of the world, and it will, then what will they have left? The trouble with this course of action is it's all on EA. We can do little more than voice our concerns and try to make them see sense and that, I'm afraid, means I have little optimism. I don't believe the future is very bright for this franchise and especially for Career Mode players.

As for beta testing, well, they did but it didn't do any good did it? I have heard many things about this. Some testers said that these bugs were not in the game when the test was active but some have said they were and they were reported but nothing was done. I don't know who to believe but one thing I do know is the beta program is a total sham. They are getting entirely the wrong people to test it and then not giving them the mode to test that they actually play and then when they get reports of problems they do not act upon it. The whole thing is a farce.

It's all very troubling at this point and I don't believe a damned word any of them say. They said Career Mode was improved but it's worse. Even if everything worked the only real improvement is dynamic player potential and custom managers which is not enough. I still can't even see my oppositions lineup and formation before a match for crying out loud. I simply don't believe that there really will be a "big career mode team" working on it in the next couple years. I sincerely hope I am proven wrong. This is not an ego thing for me. I'm here because I care but we really need EA to prove themselves to us at this point because the way I see it. They owe us now. And they owe us much.

• I would rather choose to believe that FIFA programmers have been working on Volta mode last year, leaving no spared time or energy for other things.

Because I couldn’t think of one reason why career mode this year is so broken this year. FUT mode is so mature that all I am seeing is just some new animations and UI changes.
  • Darthdowty
    82 posts Park Captain
    We Buy PES
  • bristolbob
    160 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    JazzIsName wrote: »

Monetization:

Well, the fact is, the game is monetized. I paid £75 for mine. That's a lot of money for a game. There is plenty of profit in the game from the sale of it alone. However, they also have the dreadful microtransactions of FUT which push the profits to unbelievable levels. There is no justification for career mode being in the state it's in. And there is no excuse for underfunding development of the mode. I quoted The Daily Telegraph in a thread the other day which stated that FIFA 2018 sold over 23 million copies and produced over $3 billion in revenue. Think about that for a minute. This game is not something that is built from scratch every year. It's tweaked a little and little things added and taken away. So I don't believe they have a full development team on it all year round like a developer would when starting a completely new project. The development costs are comparatively low even for their glorious FUT mode. It's obvious that Career Mode is woefully understaffed and underfunded but how much in percentage terms of $3billion is, let's just say, 20 extra developers for Career Mode? It's really not a lot, is it? Drops in the ocean stuff. Yea, I know there are many other costs and when it comes to a FIFA game there are licences etc but believe me, this is simply about greed. It's about getting as much as possible for as little as possible.

And OK, if you agreed to MORE monetization, what in career mode would be monetized? Would you be happy to pay £60, 70, 80, 90 for your game and then have to buy the stadiums to play in? Because I wouldn't. Should I have to buy Newcastle United 3rd kit? It's a preposterous notion. What about making me pay for my team flights to Champions League matches? Yeah, you can laugh but beyond paying for cosmetics like tattoos and boots for player editing what can you actually charge more for? Should I be paying for players with actual cash? Madness! I suspect this is why FUT was created to begin with. But what have they done for career mode with those unprecedented vaults full of cash? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

It's not unreasonable to expect improvements to career mode annually for the cost of the game. And, it's absolutely fundamental that it be playable, which it isn't this year. Throwing more money at these greedy so and so's isn't the answer. The culture there needs to change. From where I sit we are treated in a contemptible fashion and as a customer that should matter to them. The problem at the moment is their lack of professional pride, lack of commitment to customer satisfaction and total commitment to greed, their shareholders and a new kind of 'total profit' which, by the way, is unsustainable in the long term.

Separate game?:

I have been pondering this but see all kinds of issues with it. Licensing issues and added development costs. I'm no expert of course and I'm just speculating but I can't see how this would not increase licensing costs to the point where one or both of the titles would suffer and guess which one it would likely be? If I end up with a FIFA game lacking all the top leagues and stadiums why wouldn't I just buy PES? It's bad enough we lost Juventus and various other teams and stadiums this year. If there could be separation without losing anything then great but I don't think it can happen. EA won't go for this for many reasons. It makes little sense from a business sense to massively increase production costs splitting the two. It would be far more cost-effective to just employ that 20 guys I spoke of earlier and start trying to do better.

The only way I can see this happening is if the governments of the world start saying FUT loot boxes IS gambling and if you want to sell that it has to have an adult rating on the box. Which, honestly, I believe this will happen eventually. I believe they would then either split the game up or dump career mode altogether. Only they know the stats of exactly of what percentage of people play Career Mode and whether it would actually be worth their time releasing versions of FIFA, much as they were before this infernal and hateful FUT crap. Honestly, I despise what it has done to this game I love. I just hate it. When it first appeared I KNEW this would happen. I moaned about it to my mates then.

Should EA just try?

Yes, they should try. I believe this is the answer. It's the best solution at this point for all involved. It's the most cost-effective one for them and it's the best one for us. If they employ those extra and competent staff and actively try to fix and steadily improve the mode every year they will keep us happy and paying whilst still standing the chance of us playing FUT now and again. If they carry on down this road of forcing us out or away they lose our sales. This may not be a problem now but when the FUT train derails in the courts of the world, and it will, then what will they have left? The trouble with this course of action is it's all on EA. We can do little more than voice our concerns and try to make them see sense and that, I'm afraid, means I have little optimism. I don't believe the future is very bright for this franchise and especially for Career Mode players.

As for beta testing, well, they did but it didn't do any good did it? I have heard many things about this. Some testers said that these bugs were not in the game when the test was active but some have said they were and they were reported but nothing was done. I don't know who to believe but one thing I do know is the beta program is a total sham. They are getting entirely the wrong people to test it and then not giving them the mode to test that they actually play and then when they get reports of problems they do not act upon it. The whole thing is a farce.

It's all very troubling at this point and I don't believe a damned word any of them say. They said Career Mode was improved but it's worse. Even if everything worked the only real improvement is dynamic player potential and custom managers which is not enough. I still can't even see my oppositions lineup and formation before a match for crying out loud. I simply don't believe that there really will be a "big career mode team" working on it in the next couple years. I sincerely hope I am proven wrong. This is not an ego thing for me. I'm here because I care but we really need EA to prove themselves to us at this point because the way I see it. They owe us now. And they owe us much.

I know I'm clutching at straws here, but maybe, just maybe, there's a chance that seeing as EA have been called out this time with even Game Changers chiming in with their exasperation at EAs either incompetence, or more likely "can't care less about career mode" attitude, that if, and it is still sadly a big IF, they look into a proper patch for the obvious and blatant bugs in the game that things may actually get fixed this time. I mean, they may even find other obvious and glaring errors in their coding. I am clutching at straws aren't I
  • Saints92
    49 posts Park Captain
    bristolbob wrote: »
    JazzIsName wrote: »

Monetization:

Separate game?:

Should EA just try?

I know I'm clutching at straws here, but maybe, just maybe, there's a chance that seeing as EA have been called out this time with even Game Changers chiming in with their exasperation at EAs either incompetence, or more likely "can't care less about career mode" attitude, that if, and it is still sadly a big IF, they look into a proper patch for the obvious and blatant bugs in the game that things may actually get fixed this time. I mean, they may even find other obvious and glaring errors in their coding. I am clutching at straws aren't I

Yes. They're taking time because they're starting from scratch trying to sort it, while also hoping if enough time passes then we'll accept any old fix and move on with things.

We'll get a squad update with right transfers, and everything else in career mode will be reverted to how it was in FIFA 19. Theyll then return to not paying attention.
  • Verdum
    5 posts Ball Boy
    EA reached a new low with FIFA 20. I already asked for my refund and I think you guys should do the same. It's just so disrespectful to release the game the way it is right now.

EA have a history of saying "Yeah, we ackowledge the issue" and then doing nothing to fix it. Bugs and issues were all over FIFA 19 and almost all of them are still there. Don't create an illusion, EA only cares for FUT right now (it made around 28% of their revenue this year) and from the start the Career Mode features where never properly focused. We just need to keep it real at this matter: CM isn't their priority. You just can't compete with the huge extra revenue they make with microtransactions, it's the cancer of games. We already pay full price for a game that's almost the same of last year's, there is no other acceptable option for monetization because how it is is already immoral.

I just can't get off with the feeling that they do it on purpose. A company that big can't be so pathetic at making business. They just don't care about Career Mode and they are making it pretty clear, but we refuse to accept it. CM had it's glory in the past and it made FIFA, but now their focus is on FUT and the microtransactions that so easily provides a lot of revenue. It's sad to admit, but CM is just an annoying part of their business that EA still haven't figured out a way to overmonetize or delete.

Just don't buy the game if you're a Career Mode fan like me, you should just stay away from this game right now because it's completely broken. If you already spent your money, ask for a refund. What EA made was sell lies and this should't go unnoticed, it's immoral and perhaps illegal depending on how you look at it. I'm really hoping for EA to prove me wrong, but until now it has always been like this.
  • G9020wk
    221 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    MikaelKall wrote: »
    For all of us that bought the new FIFA it´s obvious - Career mode continues to be a copy paste job - and this year its released with so many gamebreaking bugs that i feel robbed for buying it.
    Seriously EA - shame on you.

Everybody in this community knows what Career mode can be, how fun you can have playing it so of course we get upset when this is what we get.

How do we save career mode? What can we as a community do?

Monetization?
    Can the mode somehow include this? Money=effort (apperently the 60 dollars i bought the game for does not include effort)

Separate game?
    Is the answer to not have career mode in the same game as online features such as FUT, a career mode that has to stand on its own legs might actually not be released broken.

Should EA just try?

What are your suggestions - how do we save career mode?

I agree sell Career mode seperate form everything. Then you will see who really buys this game. I cliches on this game is bad dude. Everyone in the world pay like 80 dollars at most where we have pay almost 1000 in our money. I not even in the mood to paly this anymore gonna play Witcher rather.