How to beat defenders?

zzachzx
4618 posts National Call-Up
I can’t for the life of me figure out how to beat defenders? Only thing that works for me is pace and my team isn’t really that fast so that doesn’t really work. Skill moves don’t work, I feel like any remotely risky pass never gets through.

Any tips?

Comments

• Revolve2099
    120 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Pace is not really a must. Most people who have no knowledge of football will abuse pace and heavily rely on pace. I don't have pacey wingers I use Mahrez and Bernado Silva on the wins. I use Zaha as my forward and Pukki as CAM/False 9.

Beating defenders shouldn't be the issue and your only concern, you need to pull the defenders out of position. What I normally do is do the leteral heel-to-heel to open up the space (most players will overcomit and I use this to do a simple skill to create the space) and take the extra touch. If you can't find the space pass it back to your DMs then lay it back to your CB's. Open up the defence get him to attack you. Play without rushing, just think about what type of pass you need to do. Generally these park to bus players will have no patience and will press innumbers to get a goal and then sit back and ride it out.

From here I switch tactics to counter this.

My tactics and formation(s) allow me to counter my opponents deep defending. If I can't break down the defence and its two compact, I get my full backs involved to provide me with extra passing options (inverted) or overlap on the wings if their narrow formation noobs. I then skill to cut inside, then driven pass and 1st time shot.

1 nill up and then he tries to press and play high line pressing, I then switch tactics its almost impossible for my opponent to take the ball. But again this is my style of play.

• nsholmberg11
    1389 posts Play-Off Hero
    I haven’t mastered this myself but I think if you use a skill move you have to push/release the ball forward. It’s going to take time this year but feels much more rewarding. Much better experience than almost any fifa honestly.

It’s definitely a patient, possession game this year too. If you’re like me, try not to change tactics and players too much when things aren’t going right. I’m the worst with this but try to minimize it and don’t overthink it
  • Benja190782
    1690 posts Play-Off Hero
    It’s a mindgame now. Outsmart your opponent by build up play.

It’s really simple. Play football and get rewarded.
  • OZero
    6599 posts Big Money Move
    Use your full back and winger. If your opponent knows how to defend, you won’t be able to go through the middle unless you are really good at skill moves. You have to attack from the side and use overlapping to create space
  • Kasuyo
    574 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I don't have pacey players at all, am more passive and like to create chances. I find this fifa better. Because if you can't defend then brace yourself.
  • GT500
    678 posts Semi-Pro
    Pace is not really a must. Most people who have no knowledge of football will abuse pace and heavily rely on pace. I don't have pacey wingers I use Mahrez and Bernado Silva on the wins. I use Zaha as my forward and Pukki as CAM/False 9.

Beating defenders shouldn't be the issue and your only concern, you need to pull the defenders out of position. What I normally do is do the leteral heel-to-heel to open up the space (most players will overcomit and I use this to do a simple skill to create the space) and take the extra touch. If you can't find the space pass it back to your DMs then lay it back to your CB's. Open up the defence get him to attack you. Play without rushing, just think about what type of pass you need to do. Generally these park to bus players will have no patience and will press innumbers to get a goal and then sit back and ride it out.

My tactics and formation(s) allow me to counter my opponents deep defending. If I can't break down the defence and its two compact, I get my full backs involved to provide me with extra passing options (inverted) or overlap on the wings if their narrow formation noobs. I then skill to cut inside, then driven pass and 1st time shot.

1 nill up and then he tries to press and play high line pressing, I then switch tactics its almost impossible for my opponent to take the ball. But again this is my style of play.

How is Pukki as a false 9. I played 4-3-3(5) last year but this year I don’t have the desired players in each position but plan on doing Pukki tomorrow. Not sure to play him as a true number 9 or a false 9.
  • truegunn3r
    10089 posts Has That Special Something
    edited September 2019
    Take your finger of the sprint button and use LB/L1
  • GT500
    678 posts Semi-Pro
    I find stepovers very effective if you have relatively quick players, not necessarily fast, just decent acceleration
  • Revolve2099
    120 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    GT500 wrote: »

How is Pukki as a false 9. I played 4-3-3(5) last year but this year I don’t have the desired players in each position but plan on doing Pukki tomorrow. Not sure to play him as a true number 9 or a false 9.

Pukki is great as a False 9/CAM. In one game I won last night 6-0 it was both Him and Zaha scoring goals.

Zaha mate this guy is a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ monster on the ball, and his pace. I ❤️❤️❤️❤️ bulldozed Boateng last night with him and still slided in a driven shot.