So how do you defend?

number7rocky
5703 posts Big Money Move
Because after today apparently I'm god awful at it 😂 😔 Struggled massively today, anyone else? Played a mix of draft and rivals, won all my placement games on early access. Got placed in div 4 1432 skill points.

Defensively I feel helpless, especially to opponents using l1 dribbling and any kind of skill moves, I get near someone and they can basically go straight though me like a knife through butter, felt so vulnerable every time I'm without the ball, obviously was the same for alot of my opponents as every game is basically a goal fest.

Manual tackling feels as unrewarding as ever when I thought that was meant to change... the bounces and rebounds are brutal. I won more than I lost today but it was basically smash or get smashed the moment you have to chase a game your going to get carved apart. Attacking feels so overpowered compared to defending especially with L1 dribbling.

Lost 2 games by a goal and then 4/5 games by 4/5 goals. Obviously plenty of bs with bounces and rebounds but the root of the problem obviously is that i struggled to tackle alot. Likewise other than a couple games when I won the opponent was on the receiving end of a smashing. Obviously need to play more and adapt to the new game but got to it fast if I want to be hitting elite in WL and 2600 skill rating like last year.

Comments

• zzachzx
    4618 posts National Call-Up
    Tackle bol
  • Thamightyboro
    7108 posts Big Money Move
    Same problem im having smash or be smashed.

41212 team of agile dwarfs seems to be the current meta as physicality counts for nothing right now.
  • Cheetah Thumbs
    4408 posts National Call-Up
    Don't charge in and make a tackle. Track the player and force a pass. Only tackle if you are fairly sure it will be successful.
  • joehuk
    3938 posts National Call-Up
    Tbh I'm really struggling too.

Gold 3-1 last year depending on weekend spare time.

I never ever let the AI do the defending for me last year so I was excited for this so called manual defending but tbh it feels bad not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Don't link me to boras video I watched it and made no difference.

I currently use manual jockey setting as this seems more suited for me over assisted.. but still struggling.
  • Primofusion
    1061 posts Professional
    Get used to using the L2 button a lot when defending (especially when cutting out passes), and restrain yourself from pressing tackle until you are close to the opponent. Also try and keep your shape defensively at much as possible, don’t pull defenders out of position or let runners go off into space. Other than that it’s practice practice practice,

I’m in my element as I used manual defending throughout 19 and refused to let auto defending take over, so its paid off in 20 B) (until it probably gets patched and they break the game again)
  • joehuk
    3938 posts National Call-Up
    edited September 2019
    Get used to using the L2 button a lot when defending (especially when cutting out passes), and restrain yourself from pressing tackle until you are close to the opponent. Also try and keep your shape defensively at much as possible, don’t pull defenders out of position or let runners go off into space. Other than that it’s practice practice practice,

I’m in my element as I used manual defending throughout 19 and refused to let auto defending take over, so its paid off in 20 B) (until it probably gets patched and they break the game again)

See this is the thing I always defended with my selected player, 1v1 jockey, tackle when I could but I'm still having a real hard time.

If I press jockey it feels i can't keep up with attacker they just glide past me when I use jockey and sprint for speed jockey my player floats, skates everywhere feels unatural and not something I'm keen on.

For the record I had no issues defending in fifa 19 at all and not once did I use drop back or let the AI do everything.
  • StalyVegas
    133 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I'm absolutely having a horrible time at the moment with defending, passing & the stupid player switch is driving me insane, does anyone know any settings to help with either of these or should I just sell fifa now coz I'm crap 😂
  • CharlieC
    7376 posts Big Money Move
    Use LT/L2 and don’t rush in. When defending pacy wingers use LT+RT/L2+R2 for speed jockey.
  • xGrumpyWolfx
    3029 posts National Call-Up
    Just lost 7 games in a row and I'm usually a pretty good player that manually defends, it's impossible to play when the servers are this sluggish, ruins the game completely
  • I purposely lost my rank games. I knew after demo it was going to be a learning curve online defending. Dumped me in Div 8, now just about to get Div4.
    Getting used to it now, but having fast RB and LB has helped me out tbh.
  • number7rocky
    edited September 2019
    Won a rivals game 2-1 that's my lowest scoring game so far 😂 using 4231 (was 41212(2) before apart from when it was draft)

Didn't feel comfortable defending still but was more solid though alot harder to score and create. Two strikers and a cam is op for 1-2's when you can cut though so easy. That's 10 wins and I think 7 losses today, shocking 😂

4-3 in rivals, 6-4 draft

Son is awesome though 👍
  • Queens11
    2112 posts Fans' Favourite
    I purposely lost my rank games. I knew after demo it was going to be a learning curve online defending. Dumped me in Div 8, now just about to get Div4.
    Getting used to it now, but having fast RB and LB has helped me out tbh.

Wouldn’t have made a difference I won 4 drew one according to the game its bang average and stuck me in div 5 lol
  • number7rocky
    edited September 2019
    Confidence it tottally down the drain, I've played to many games and I'm tired, fatigued but I'm to stubborn to stop, getting turned over in division 4 ffs by worse teams than mine. Just lost 3 straight games in div 4 😔 Conceding when I make good blocks and constant rebounds
  • Kasuyo
    574 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Well my tactics are 4 depth and width about balanced, so far using full spl squad and surprisingly am doing really well on defense.

FIFA 19 I couldn't defend like I can now, which makes me feel like I don't need to buy over priced players.
  • silencer747
    189 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Don't dig in, constantly pressure your opponent, play high depth and get in their faces, use LT/L2 and RT/R2 to modify pace of jockey, really work them like you are in a race game, go up and down with speed to mark tightly. And work on your tackle timing, you really have to manually press the tackle buttons this year. Plus the strong standing tackle is really good this year (hold B/Circle)
    I can also recommend the manual jockey controller setting, gives more pace and control in jockey, first games you will have to get used to it, you will fly all over the place but once you are used you have way more control.
    I average 15+ tackles in fifa 19 but this year it's mental I am going over 25 a game, it's really easy this year if you ask me. And I like it ;) My defence is Zagadou (cheap van Dijk), Joe Gomez, Hakimi and Alexander Arnold.
  • Avit32
    563 posts An Exciting Prospect
    The idea of the defending system is great, however 50/50s always seem to favour the attacker and rebounds from any range seem to always go to the attacker also.
  • number7rocky
    Want to smash something, just want to win One more game and I concede an 89th minute equaliser
  • number7rocky
    edited September 2019
    Losing skill points in div 4, 6 without a win 4 losses and 2 draws where I concede an 89th minute equaliser, refuse to stop until I win a game 😔

All the bounces going agasint me, no bs goals rebounds for me.
  • number7rocky
    Won a game, he rage quit, I'm a idiot for carrying on. Time for bed
  • lippyone
    2089 posts Fans' Favourite
    I cant defend for toffee

tried holding left trigger and A
    tried second man contain
    tried tackling

nothing seems to do much
  • mhh1981
    3398 posts National Call-Up
    Likewise. Really struggling atm. It’s deffo me and not the players!!! Tried different CTs, players etc. I need to manually defend better as my players are drawn out easily. Doesn’t help that GKs are awful and rebound to their players 😂
  • Rsscllghn
    211 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Was the same for me as soon as I got promoted to 5. Lost three and drew three, back to div 6 and all of a sudden my players can play ball again.

I'd prefer if a big flashing sign just came up and said "to continue winning please purchase more points "
  • BondJame5Collins
    1918 posts Fans' Favourite
    Jockeying in the box is the worst, just when i think i'm in control, all my opponent does is pass across the face of goal for a tap in.
  • starfox1284
    2352 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited September 2019
    Use 2 cdm formations and put the cdms on drop between defenders if you are struggling. Im getting caught a lot on the wings as its really hard to deal with the skill moves if there is space.
  • lippyone
    2089 posts Fans' Favourite
    It is ok when your side has the magic ball, but when you are leading and your opponent has it then it is almost impossible to keep them out.
  • I still see people contain with their CDM and let the AI do the work tbh.
  • i2-TempZ-2i
    6434 posts Big Money Move
    Game feels nothing like it did in EA access for me today its weird, everything is slower and more delayed and all my players are running like stuck in mud

Honestly i fully just believe now that the EA servers are just crap and cannot handle the load
  • gorillabear
    991 posts Professional
    I didn’t notice much of a difference. Y’all must have been using AI defending more than you thought 😂
  • xGrumpyWolfx
    3029 posts National Call-Up
    Game feels nothing like it did in EA access for me today its weird, everything is slower and more delayed and all my players are running like stuck in mud

Honestly i fully just believe now that the EA servers are just crap and cannot handle the load

Exactly how it feels for me too, yet my opponents are unaffected! EA Access was perfect for gameplay but now its atrociously sluggish, makes it impossible to play when you’re players are taking extra/heavy touches and cant dribble