The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• wheelerdeeler
    6183 posts Big Money Move
    I could be wrong, but I got the impression that most of the signings they had made were signings with one eye on being in L2 next anyway. I mean, they're already 16 points off safety.
  • iHilarious
    13118 posts Has That Special Something
    There’s some good players in that side - on paper anyway
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited September 14
    They've got some names like Bridcutt, Daryl Murphy etc. but (the Forest fans on here will know more than I will) their legs have probably gone. Murphy especially.

And they're literally playing their first games together now. Especially the players that were free agents, they wouldn't have even had a Pre-Season.
  • WFCBagnall
    71506 posts Moderator
    I dont like football
  • Dizzy Bala
    3689 posts National Call-Up
    If there ever was a case for the loan window still being open for teams, it's probably Bolton. You can't assemble any type of squad in two days. It's going to be a very long season to be a Bolton fan I suspect.
  • Good result considering we played atrociously.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited September 14
    Even with the loan window open, I can't see many Prem/Championship teams wanting to send their kids to a team who are conceding 5 or 6 goals every week, are 99.9% likely to get relegated and ruin their confidence.
  • Karlos
    24318 posts Club Captain
    #LoweOUT
  • AaronMFC
    1605 posts Play-Off Hero
    Good win today was a really tough game but great to start moving up the table.
  • Handy Andy
    5771 posts Big Money Move
    AaronMFC wrote: »

how did we play lad?
  • AaronMFC
    1605 posts Play-Off Hero
    Handy Andy wrote: »
    AaronMFC wrote: »

how did we play lad?

Passed it around quite well but didnt have much cutting edge randolph made a couple of great saves from set pieces late on.
  • james2060
    2859 posts Fans' Favourite
    A 6-0 win, yet feeling underwhelmed by the performance. Think we had less than 30% possession when we scored the 6th. Oh, and Maddison is still good.

• Rulistening
    1947 posts Play-Off Hero
    Give ryan broom another inform EA. I dare you
  • Dizzy Bala
    Even with the loan window open, I can't see many Prem/Championship teams wanting to send their kids to a team who are conceding 5 or 6 goals every week, are 99.9% likely to get relegated and ruin their confidence.

I don't just mean Bolton either, things happen with teams, especially when they are struggling with players they've bought or injuries. Take Colback for example, you have a fantastic Championship midfielder stuck at Newcastle, out of the Premierleague 25 man and he can't go anywhere until January.
  • Hicksy2011
    13302 posts Has That Special Something
    edited September 14
    EFL trophy having the u21 teams is a joke but I really do love the tournament, again today we had an 18 year old debutant winning MOTM, and a debutant 18 year old who was almost released by the club getting 1g 1a against a load of u21 international players
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited September 14
    Beyond the fact that U21s thing shouldn't be a thing in the first place, the U21s thing only turns into a "proper" joke when you get proper first teamers playing in the 21s teams. I remember Stoke "U21s" had Charlie Adam, Bojan and Peter Crouch playing for them one or two years ago.

I like that we at least respect that part of the competition and are using it for its intended purpose. Because last year we could have very feasibly ended up playing people like Fabri, Cisse, Ayite etc. in it but we stuck to actually using our kids.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited September 14
    Dizzy Bala wrote: »

I don't just mean Bolton either, things happen with teams, especially when they are struggling with players they've bought or injuries. Take Colback for example, you have a fantastic Championship midfielder stuck at Newcastle, out of the Premierleague 25 man and he can't go anywhere until January.

I wouldn't mind it. Would mean we could get Michael Hector registered before January after all. But it's not the end of the world at the same time, I doubt there's been many Mid-November loans that have significantly improved a team in recent years.

I think we had a couple outside of the transfer windows in our first season back down in the 14/15 season and none of them were that good. Think one of them was Seko Fofana though, he turned out alright seeing as he's in Serie A now. Just couldn't show it because we were awful and he was still quite raw. The other side is that one of them was Danny Guthrie.
  • NornIron
    11859 posts Has That Special Something
    Is there any stadiums in league 1/2 or Conference out in the countryside?
  • wheelerdeeler
    Forest Green maybe?
  • iHilarious
    13118 posts Has That Special Something
    Definitely Forest Green.

Our stadium is nowhere near Oxford and the smell of **** may make you think it’s the countryside but unfortunately instead of farms it’s a sewage plant
  • Dizzy Bala
    edited September 15
    iHilarious wrote: »
    Definitely Forest Green.

Our stadium is nowhere near Oxford and the smell of **** may make you think it’s the countryside but unfortunately instead of farms it’s a sewage plant

Well if you will leave one of the sides of your ground open.. Fray BENtos
  • Karlos
    24318 posts Club Captain
    Alastair wrote: »

No, I know Tyson Furey though.
  • BristolMDF
    765 posts Semi-Pro
    edited September 15
    Can’t believe Jones has the cheek to complain about Allen’s red card. If Brownhill hadn’t seen it coming and tried to get out the way that’s gonna snap his leg in half FFS.

5A814254-CE9D-46B0-922A-9F56C3DA2657.jpeg.788229f444ee6d9b279d9f1bc5baa5ed.jpeg
  • james2060
    2859 posts Fans' Favourite
    Even McClean can see it's a bad tackle.
  • WFCBagnall
    71506 posts Moderator
    NornIron wrote: »

Shrewsbury I guess. Barely anything around it.
  • DelboyIRA
    369 posts Sunday League Hero
    WFCBagnall wrote: »

Also Wycombe stadium is in forest

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Adams_Park_from_a_northerly_direction.JPG
  • Alastair
    10077 posts Moderator

It’s inside the bypass though.

The city will have surrounded the ground in a few years.
  • WFCBagnall
    71506 posts Moderator
    DelboyIRA wrote: »

Also Wycombe stadium is in forest

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Adams_Park_from_a_northerly_direction.JPG

And an industrial estate :joy:
  • wheelerdeeler
    Yeah, Wycombe's nothing special. Went there loads for Rugby in the 2000s. It's just a ground in the middle of nowhere (which happens to be an industrial estate) that's a nightmare to get to. Because if you drive there you'll be stuck in traffic for 30-45 minutes (minimum) trying to get out after the game, and if you don't drive the train station is about half an hour away and you have to get the Park and Ride bus.