The American SOCCER Lounge

Comments

• RayS
    26535 posts Player of the Year
    Still bummed no American icon
  • Chubbs
    14460 posts Has That Special Something
    Drogba will surely be one of the more unattainable ones. At least for the first 8 months or so.
  • RayS
    I'm guessing EA will just skip MLS POTM this month. Not really a big deal with this being the last weeks of the game.
  • RayS
    RayS wrote: »

apparently ONE more icon to be revealed... CMOOOOON Donovan!! or Dempsey
  • Cyodine
    1622 posts Play-Off Hero

apparently ONE more icon to be revealed... CMOOOOON Donovan!! or Dempsey

Dempsey would be amazing!
  • SuperSonicSean
    6046 posts Big Money Move
    Ryno wrote: »
    Here is what the MLS Icon core will look like for FIFA 20

https://www.futhead.com/19/squads/914212/

I forgot Stoichkov played in MLS. I need to go buy him before FIFA 19 ends. I've got everyone else already.

& As much as I'd love an American icon, I don't see it happening, sadly. Looks like we'll have to wait until FIFA 21. :(
  • Antparry92
    17899 posts World Class
    I’m the 85 and 86 squad away from PIM Moore and he’s going in to my MLS side
  • RayS
    It used be lit in here
  • Antparry92
    17899 posts World Class
    It used be lit in here
    Genuinely think EA’s lack of regard for all things MLS/North American hasn’t helped
  • Chubbs
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    It used be lit in here
    Genuinely think EA’s lack of regard for all things MLS/North American hasn’t helped

100% No TOTS, TOTWS for half of the year, and then only the same MLS special cards recycled all year. If I have something to mention in FIFA it has nothing to do with this lounge because this league and nation arent represented in the game well.
  • RayS
    Chubbs wrote: »
    It used be lit in here

100% No TOTS, TOTWS for half of the year, and then only the same MLS special cards recycled all year. If I have something to mention in FIFA it has nothing to do with this lounge because this league and nation arent represented in the game well.

oh the golden age of Legend Lalas & Donovan and MLS AS

RIP
  • SuperSonicSean
    6046 posts Big Money Move
    I'm upset I never got to use Lalas or Donovan (outside of his IF in FIFA 15 that I was tearing ppl up with) because Legends were Xbox exclusive. I remember I was so happy to finally get a chance to use them when they announced they were icons to PS4. Then they just scrapped them, as well as Ljunberg and a number of other former MLS players I was hoping to use.

The lack of All Stars this year was really the icing on the cake. Last year they had an excuse with WC mode. This year? Their omission was mind-boggling for me. Other leagues got shafted too with vastly condensed TOTS squads. I get most people tend to follow the big 5 (specifically the EPL), but there's so much soccer outside of those leagues. It's a shame they don't get the appreciation they deserve in FIFA.
  • Ryno
    6317 posts Big Money Move
    I'm upset I never got to use Lalas or Donovan (outside of his IF in FIFA 15 that I was tearing ppl up with) because Legends were Xbox exclusive. I remember I was so happy to finally get a chance to use them when they announced they were icons to PS4. Then they just scrapped them, as well as Ljunberg and a number of other former MLS players I was hoping to use.

The lack of All Stars this year was really the icing on the cake. Last year they had an excuse with WC mode. This year? Their omission was mind-boggling for me. Other leagues got shafted too with vastly condensed TOTS squads. I get most people tend to follow the big 5 (specifically the EPL), but there's so much soccer outside of those leagues. It's a shame they don't get the appreciation they deserve in FIFA.

EA continue to show that they only care to release high rated cards that generate revenue. IFs not from the top 5 leagues dont do that, so they choose to shaft the minority player base that actually uses those cards. That is also what is holding me back from getting back into FIFA like I was in the past. I don't like using 99.9% of players that are in the top 5 leagues, but I really enjoy using MLS, Japanese, Korean, and other similar leagues because it connects me to those leagues in a way that is almost equivalent to watching games on a weekly basis. But that attachment becomes void when every single game is against Ronaldo and Icons or some meta squad that absolutely thrashes me. What's the incentive for me to play? There are very very few like minded people to me and no game mode to highlight the thousands or silver and bronze cards. Furthermore, those cards are still jacked up in price and their supply is shortened because of people not opening bronze and silver packs, and those cards still being needed for SBCs.

Sigh /rant
  • Chubbs
    That's why I always grind so hard at the beginning, get in tons of games with fun hybrids and players I like. Havent played consistently since January and have like 1500 games played. Played only 20 of those since the new year.
  • Cyodine
    1622 posts Play-Off Hero
    Kick off soon!
  • RayS
    Cyodine wrote: »
    Kick off soon!

Started brightly but been downhill since the goal.
  • RayS
    Well we suck
  • WestardLord
    1536 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 7
    Well folks.

I have officially lost faith.

Would have loved to see Paxton Pomykal in there though, just for the hell of it.
  • RayS
    Well folks.

Would have loved to see Paxton Pomykal in there though, just for the hell of it.

Not sure what Berhalter's game plan was tbh. We had 2 defensive mids and one box to box in the middle with Gyasi Zardes up top. It was an attacking dead zone in the middle of the field.
  • Ryno
    edited September 7
    Well folks.

Not sure what Berhalter's game plan was tbh. We had 2 defensive mids and one box to box in the middle with Gyasi Zardes up top. It was an attacking dead zone in the middle of the field.

Berhalter's Columbus sides never used a direct, down the middle attacking approach. The goal is always to work the wings going forward and plug the middle on defense.
    Well folks.

They conceded one goal in 76 minute of play before a poor decision from Steffen not to boot the ball up field, and sending too many players forward on a corner had them concede two goals in 5 minutes.

This shouldn't be the game that you lose faith in the squad over, but one you should be very critical of because Berhalter has no plan B for a team managed by a manager who continually trounced him in MLS when he used the same tactical approach.
  • RayS
    edited September 7
    Well folks.

Berhalter's Columbus sides never used a direct, down the middle attacking approach. The goal is always to work the wings going forward and plug the middle on defense.
    Well folks.

They conceded one goal in 76 minute of play before a poor decision from Steffen not to boot the ball up field, and sending too many players forward on a corner had them concede two goals in 5 minutes.

This shouldn't be the game that you lose faith in the squad over, but one you should be very critical of because Berhalter has no plan B for a team managed by a manager who continually trounced him in MLS when he used the same tactical approach.

Was still too defensive imo. Considering Berhalter's preferred formation is 4141 in attack, with "two tens". In the past it's been someone like mcKennie and Pulisic (with Arriola on the left interchanging with Pulisic ). Suddenly drop that to McKennie and Alfredo Morales (actually it seemed we were a flat midfield three anyway) and there's much less attacking threat that normal. Also, the fact that Zardes is the main guy up top didn't do us any favors once the ball got into the attacking third. He does fine vs MLS opponents, but when it's internation high level, he can't quite cut it

This is telling (posted after the first half)

• Ryno
    Well folks.

Well folks.

Was still too defensive imo. Considering Berhalter's preferred formation is 4141 in attack, with "two tens". In the past it's been someone like mcKennie and Pulisic (with Arriola on the left interchanging with Pulisic ). Suddenly drop that to McKennie and Alfredo Morales (actually it seemed we were a flat midfield three anyway) and there's much less attacking threat that normal. Also, the fact that Zardes is the main guy up top didn't do us any favors once the ball got into the attacking third. He does fine vs MLS opponents, but when it's internation high level, he can't quite cut it

I admittedly didn't watch the game, but can tell from what everyone is saying, as well as the highlights, exactly how the game went.

I agree with everything you said, and since we are using Matt Doyle tweets, I really liked this tweet he just put out:

• RayS
    Well folks.

Well folks.

I admittedly didn't watch the game, but can tell from what everyone is saying, as well as the highlights, exactly how the game went.

I agree with everything you said, and since we are using Matt Doyle tweets, I really liked this tweet he just put out:

Yeah Matt Doyle is one of my go to sources for MLS and USMNT stuff. He's really sharp. Sums it up
  • NornIron
    11794 posts Has That Special Something
    An American keeper playing in the N.Irish league 2nd is doing very well apparently just got Player of the mth. Bobby Edwards was at New York red bulls u23.

• WestardLord
    1536 posts Play-Off Hero
    Have to agree with Matthew Doyle's analysis.

Just looking at the stop-and-go build up the US were trying in the midfield against Mexico, it just looks like they're thinking about it too much.

Compare that to the USWNT. Every time they are on the ball, they look like a threat. They waste absolutely no time getting the ball up the field and their confidence shines through. A lot of that is up to Jill Ellis. It looks and feels like streamlined play.

I think most of all we need to get off this idea that the USMNT needs an American coach to succeed. I mean, it's nice, but I think US soccer are marrying themselves to that idea too much.
  • RayS
    Have to agree with Matthew Doyle's analysis.

Just looking at the stop-and-go build up the US were trying in the midfield against Mexico, it just looks like they're thinking about it too much.

Compare that to the USWNT. Every time they are on the ball, they look like a threat. They waste absolutely no time getting the ball up the field and their confidence shines through. A lot of that is up to Jill Ellis. It looks and feels like streamlined play.

I think most of all we need to get off this idea that the USMNT needs an American coach to succeed. I mean, it's nice, but I think US soccer are marrying themselves to that idea too much.

100% agree. This idea is almost certainly why we passed over Tata Martino who ends up with Mexico. And guess what? Mexico look totally dominant with clear tactical ideas that work for the team.

If only Tata coached previously in our domestic league and showed that he knows how to win big.

OH WAIT
  • Antparry92
    17899 posts World Class
    Any ideas to spice up a MLS career mode?
  • Ryno

Must abide by the actual DP rules, required to give U21 and U18s X amount of minutes in a season. Basically anything that limits how easy career mode is while also keeping it very MLS
  • RayS

Must abide by the actual DP rules, required to give U21 and U18s X amount of minutes in a season. Basically anything that limits how easy career mode is while also keeping it very MLS

This. Plus I always liked hiring the best scouts and sending to them to a country you have connections to. So for me I'd try to make the next Japanese or American super star.
  • Antparry92
    17899 posts World Class

It’s just a pain keeping track of DP wages and stuff without it actually being integrated in to the game