The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.
------------------
Note: The SBCs issue has been resolved, details posted on this thread in a tweet from FIFA Direct Communication.

VAR

PLEEEEASE! Tell me VAR will not feature in the new game!?

Comments

• JimmyFozz wrote: »

Why would it be? It's a video game, any ref decision is correct anyway.
  • Acidvenus
    110 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Sportify wrote: »
    JimmyFozz wrote: »

That's exactly what I was going to say, there's never a goal scored in FIFA that's incorrectly given.
    Can you imagine the rage in FUT online with a last minute offside goal :'D
  • Can imagine it will be used in career mode for authenticity
  • forearms
    5024 posts Big Money Move
    Acidvenus wrote: »

That's exactly what I was going to say, there's never a goal scored in FIFA that's incorrectly given.

I sure would've liked to have VAR on some calls, LOL. Here are a couple of them from my gameplay, which you may have seen before

First, a penalty awarded for a blatant dive

Next, a miles offside goal allowed

I have more, but these are probably the most egregious
  • forearms wrote: »

I sure would've liked to have VAR on some calls, LOL. Here are a couple of them from my gameplay, which you may have seen before

Wow man!! I'm speechless with the offside!
  • EA_Andy
    3378 posts EA Staff (retired)

It will not.
  • SquallPT
    46 posts Park Captain
    The VAR is a human judging another human's decision.
    How does it work for AI ? Unless the field referee AI, makes a stupid mistake on purpose and then the VAR AI says " oh no, you are mistaken ".
    It's dumb, it's just another useless cutscene for the sake of " authenticity ".
  • forearms
    edited September 2019
    SquallPT wrote: »
    The VAR is a human judging another human's decision.
    How does it work for AI ? Unless the field referee AI, makes a stupid mistake on purpose and then the VAR AI says " oh no, you are mistaken ".
    It's dumb, it's just another useless cutscene for the sake of " authenticity ".

I agree with what you said. However, do you have any explanation of how the decision was awarded with either video I posted? I mean, any sane individual can see the videos and determine that both the penalty award, and the goal were clearly incorrect. I would be interested in the logic that the CPU ref used in determining both of the above.
  • forearms

Do you think that the Refs decisions are correct in the videos I posted?
  • SupremiumHD
    38 posts Last Pick at the Park

Not really. Maybe 99,9% of the time but the game allowed me to score at least 3 offside goals in FUT Champions this year. Every time it was the same pattern: opponent's goalkeeper threw the ball at my player and I passed it on to my striker (who was offside by several meters) with first touch and finished it to get a free goal.
  • EA_Andy
    forearms wrote: »

No, but VAR wouldn't help with that.

It would only be there for authenticity for how a lot of football matches work these days, but I have a feeling a lot of people would dislike the extra time it would take up.
  • forearms
    EA_Andy wrote: »

It would only be there for authenticity for how a lot of football matches work these days, but I have a feeling a lot of people would dislike the extra time it would take up.

Can you explain how/why the CPU ref made those decisions above?
  • EA_Andy

Some kind of bug most likely.
  • forearms

When I think of a bug/glitch, I think of things that happen to me like these:

Not refereeing decisions
  • It should have the goal then a five min delay. That would make it realistic
  • Acidvenus
    110 posts Has Potential To Be Special

Chemistry style for 3* pace plus pace training card meant that actual pace and acceleration was 299 and he actually ran onside faster than the eye could see and then got into a brilliant position :'D
  • EA_Andy

Not refereeing decisions

And most people would - but not all bugs are the same.
  • forearms

Not refereeing decisions

But these examples I posted, and I have more btw, are just fron my experiences with this franchise. Dont you think that the range of things I posted show how far from a finished product this game is?

The original question was regarding VAR being implemented in the game. Obviously the CPU is going to think it's the correct call. But when something like the offside goal I posted happens in weekend league and costs someone ranking-wise, even you can admit that reflects very poorly for EA. In any instance, I dont see how anyone, the CPU (VAR) included could watch that and confirm it being a good goal.

The penalty dive was actually a squad battle match. The CPU was given that, and considering how it looks, many people would start throwing banned words around to describe it. There was zero contact, and the CPU player goes down moments after it expected contact. That's the definition of a dive. Yet somehow the game gives the CPU the call. Any second look could easily determine there was no contact.

The amount of things people will defend EA and this franchise for is staggering. It should never be this way for what is billed as the most popular sports game in the world.

Not refereeing decisions

But these examples I posted, and I have more btw, are just fron my experiences with this franchise. Dont you think that the range of things I posted show how far from a finished product this game is?

The original question was regarding VAR being implemented in the game. Obviously the CPU is going to think it's the correct call. But when something like the offside goal I posted happens in weekend league and costs someone ranking-wise, even you can admit that reflects very poorly for EA. In any instance, I dont see how anyone, the CPU (VAR) included could watch that and confirm it being a good goal.

The penalty dive was actually a squad battle match. The CPU was given that, and considering how it looks, many people would start throwing banned words around to describe it. There was zero contact, and the CPU player goes down moments after it expected contact. That's the definition of a dive. Yet somehow the game gives the CPU the call. Any second look could easily determine there was no contact.

The amount of things people will defend EA and this franchise for is staggering. It should never be this way for what is billed as the most popular sports game in the world.

Tbh if the thread was about game glitches you've hit the nail on the head.

But it was about VAR and in a computer game it just won't work. Your more likely to create more glitches and wrong calls trying to implement something like that.
  • forearms
    Mc_chigby wrote: »

Not refereeing decisions

But it was about VAR and in a computer game it just won't work. Your more likely to create more glitches and wrong calls trying to implement something like that.

I do understand your point, but even on the NES, some games had the ability to challenge and have calls overturned. Kings of the Beach (volleyball) for one. You could hit a button and your player would run up to the chair referee and argue that the ball was in/out. They would sometimes change the call.

It's just odd that we had that ability in a game in the 1980s, but 30 years later they are unable to realistically implement something similar, despite the incredible advancement in technology.
  • ale1985bg
    393 posts Sunday League Hero
    It's a video game, any ref decision is correct anyway.
    You sure?

• Joestoe
    5776 posts Big Money Move
    ale1985bg wrote: »
    It's a video game, any ref decision is correct anyway.
    You sure?

He means that in a video game, the referee is AI based, so is the VAR. It would literally make no difference and would just be another cutscene your opponent doesn’t skip to aggitate you.

Not refereeing decisions

I do understand your point, but even on the NES, some games had the ability to challenge and have calls overturned. Kings of the Beach (volleyball) for one. You could hit a button and your player would run up to the chair referee and argue that the ball was in/out. They would sometimes change the call.

It's just odd that we had that ability in a game in the 1980s, but 30 years later they are unable to realistically implement something similar, despite the incredible advancement in technology.

There are a number of games (Madden, Smash court Tennis) that have similar as you mentioned. However these were just a dice roll decision. They don't actually review the footage.

It basically picked at random (either in or out on tennis for example) and would show a clip to back up its random decision.

They could implement VAR on the game but it wouldn't be getting the correct decision. it would be completely random, and we don't need anymore of that on Fifa
  • EA_Andy

Not refereeing decisions

I think it shows that there are some bugs that we need to look at, I don't think anyone would try and pretend that there are no bugs in the game at all. I can only encourage people to post them under the bug section on AHQ or send them to me as you see them so we can send them onto the gameplay team.

For the part about a second look - how would that work? The reason VAR would be pointless is the CPU has already made the call, it wouldn't change that. Otherwise it would have to purposely make the wrong call in the first place to then overturn it with VAR.

I think we're talking about 2 different things here:

1. There are some bugs in the game that need to be looked at

2. Should VAR be added to the game even though it would just be to add realism and wouldn't affect decisions made
  • EA_Andy

Not refereeing decisions

There are a number of games (Madden, Smash court Tennis) that have similar as you mentioned. However these were just a dice roll decision. They don't actually review the footage.

It basically picked at random (either in or out on tennis for example) and would show a clip to back up its random decision.

They could implement VAR on the game but it wouldn't be getting the correct decision. it would be completely random, and we don't need anymore of that on Fifa

The point is it wouldn't be random, it would be the correct decision (outside of any bugs). The only way to show VAR like it's used in real life is to make the incorrect decision, then go through the whole VAR thing, then arrive at the correct decision after some in-game time has passed.
  • EA_Andy wrote: »

Not refereeing decisions

The point is it wouldn't be random, it would be the correct decision (outside of any bugs). The only way to show VAR like it's used in real life is to make the incorrect decision, then go through the whole VAR thing, then arrive at the correct decision after some in-game time has passed.

From memory the Madden Challenge system was similar to VAR and wasn't that just random about overturning calls. Don't get me wrong it got some calls right like out of bounds catches but a broken clock is always right twice a day.
  • EA_Andy

Not refereeing decisions

From memory the Madden Challenge system was similar to VAR and wasn't that just random about overturning calls. Don't get me wrong it got some calls right like out of bounds catches but a broken clock is always right twice a day.

Not sure - but I don't think we would implement something like that in FIFA if that is how it works.
  • forearms

Not refereeing decisions

I think it shows that there are some bugs that we need to look at, I don't think anyone would try and pretend that there are no bugs in the game at all. I can only encourage people to post them under the bug section on AHQ or send them to me as you see them so we can send them onto the gameplay team.

For the part about a second look - how would that work? The reason VAR would be pointless is the CPU has already made the call, it wouldn't change that. Otherwise it would have to purposely make the wrong call in the first place to then overturn it with VAR.

I think we're talking about 2 different things here:

1. There are some bugs in the game that need to be looked at

2. Should VAR be added to the game even though it would just be to add realism and wouldn't affect decisions made

If these issues are as you describe them, bugs and glitches, then sometimes a simple reset fixes those issues. If a player could initiate the VAR it may reset the CPU and allow it to be looked at correctly.

Im debating the VAR not as a feature for realism, but under the guise of correcting those incorrect calls (bugs/glitches). Also, as pointed out here, other EA titles have this feature already.
  • lippyone
    2080 posts Fans' Favourite
    They could introduce VAR by making onfield decisions not always 100% correct.
    For example they could program it in that 5% of referee decisions were incorrect, and they could be overturned by VAR.
  • forearms
    lippyone wrote: »
    They could introduce VAR by making onfield decisions not always 100% correct.
    For example they could program it in that 5% of referee decisions were incorrect, and they could be overturned by VAR.

I certainly dont want the game to intentionally have incorrect calls. It may be a feature for career mode that others would like, but it would be awful and kind of sinister for online players.