Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• MarkFromNorwich
    3124 posts National Call-Up
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Smalling is arguably better than Lindelof. Better in the air, 1v1 defending and much quicker. Has to rotate round the ball when he passes it though. Big mistake letting him go as the current batch of defenders are so bad in the air.

wow...

Lindelof is like the Luke Shaw of CBs. Looked competent because he was surrounded by garbage, but then you realise he doesn't really excel at anything? Even for a supposed ball playing CB, he rarely plays killer passes from the back or carries it forward.

On Smalling, his clumsiness means he's a little error prone when he has to move his feet quickly, but he is really quick, built like a fridge, rarely gets beat 1v1 and is great in the air.

Again with the whole “excel at anything” garbage argument. God forbid Lindelof is a pretty well rounded CB with 1 overall real weakness.

Your opinions and nitpicking are truly incredible.

Are they though? None of your players are worthy players for a title challenge except AWB, DDG, Pogba and Maguire.

I think it’s the context he’s talking about. For the level you aspire to be Shaw and Lindelof aren’t anywhere near good enough. They’re 6th-4th players at best. Neither excel at anything.

I think united fans are stuck in the thoughts of challenging for 4th thus thinking the players they have are good enough, but they aren’t. So I don’t see how negative comments can be bitten at so easily.

However it is a rebuild, so you have to accept the likes of McMarmite, Shaw, Lindelof, Rashford etc will never be good enough for the elite level but are okay for now to try and get back into top 4.

Lindelof was one of the best CB’s in the league last season :joy:

One of the best CB’s in the league, one of the best Gk’s in the league... but conceded more goals than Arsenal? Who’s defence was apparently disgraceful.

That doesn’t add up to me.

Don't forget how good Luke Shaw is too. Obviously all down to Ashley Young...
    Van Dijk
    Laporte
    Alderweireld
    Matip
    Rudiger
    Boly
    Maguire
    Zouma

just a few who were better than Lindelof last season,

Given that you judge players off what's appealing to your eye and your overall agenda with slating everything United does.... I find this list the least bit surprising coming from you.

I don't judge players off what's appealing to my eye, I essentially said Lukaku was a good striker despite not being appealing to me in terms of style. Smalling is not appealing to the eye but he's a better centreback than Lindeloff imo.

• Apollo
    16233 posts World Class
    Apollo wrote: »
    Smalling is arguably better than Lindelof. Better in the air, 1v1 defending and much quicker. Has to rotate round the ball when he passes it though. Big mistake letting him go as the current batch of defenders are so bad in the air.

wow...

Lindelof is like the Luke Shaw of CBs. Looked competent because he was surrounded by garbage, but then you realise he doesn't really excel at anything? Even for a supposed ball playing CB, he rarely plays killer passes from the back or carries it forward.

On Smalling, his clumsiness means he's a little error prone when he has to move his feet quickly, but he is really quick, built like a fridge, rarely gets beat 1v1 and is great in the air.

Again with the whole “excel at anything” garbage argument. God forbid Lindelof is a pretty well rounded CB with 1 overall real weakness.

Are they though? None of your players are worthy players for a title challenge except AWB, DDG, Pogba and Maguire.

I think it’s the context he’s talking about. For the level you aspire to be Shaw and Lindelof aren’t anywhere near good enough. They’re 6th-4th players at best. Neither excel at anything.

I think united fans are stuck in the thoughts of challenging for 4th thus thinking the players they have are good enough, but they aren’t. So I don’t see how negative comments can be bitten at so easily.

However it is a rebuild, so you have to accept the likes of McMarmite, Shaw, Lindelof, Rashford etc will never be good enough for the elite level but are okay for now to try and get back into top 4.

One of the best CB’s in the league, one of the best Gk’s in the league... but conceded more goals than Arsenal? Who’s defence was apparently disgraceful.

It's not exactly rocket science. Stick anyone in a defence with Phil Jones and Ashley Young and the team will concede goals. Hence why we addressed those positions this past summer.

I’m not buying that one. Mark is right, Lindelof stood out because he was amongst that, but he’s still fairly average. The mistake against palace proves that.

A mistake in one game proves that? :joy: Wow.
  • TakeItSlow
    7931 posts League Winner

wow...

It's not exactly rocket science. Stick anyone in a defence with Phil Jones and Ashley Young and the team will concede goals. Hence why we addressed those positions this past summer.

I’m not buying that one. Mark is right, Lindelof stood out because he was amongst that, but he’s still fairly average. The mistake against palace proves that.

You don’t expect those mistakes in the 3rd game, he was also caught out of position a lot against Chelsea.

He’s probably good enough for your position now though, so that’s fair enough.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    32178 posts National Team Captain

wow...

lmao... so what does the mistake from Maguire vs Palace say about him?
  • Apollo
    16233 posts World Class

wow...

You don’t expect those mistakes in the 3rd game, he was also caught out of position a lot against Chelsea.

What a load of rubbish. How about you post about your own team's defensive failures rather than coming out with this drivel day in, day out? Have a day off.
  • XxRichiexRichxX

wow...

haha what? Please share clips
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited August 29

wow...

Van Dijk
    Laporte
    Alderweireld
    Matip
    Rudiger
    Boly
    Maguire
    Zouma

Given that you judge players off what's appealing to your eye and your overall agenda with slating everything United does.... I find this list the least bit surprising coming from you.

I don't judge players off what's appealing to my eye, I essentially said Lukaku was a good striker despite not being appealing to me in terms of style. Smalling is not appealing to the eye but he's a better centreback than Lindeloff imo.

Visually and statistically.... this is false and Lindelof is undoubtedly the better of the two. Your comments are truly laughable on this.

And this is coming from someone that was one of Smalling's biggest defenders as to why we should hold onto him.
  • Pietu
    3358 posts National Call-Up
    Van Dijk
    Laporte
    Alderweireld
    Matip
    Rudiger
    Boly
    Maguire
    Zouma

Gomez
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner

wow...

?
  • MarkFromNorwich

wow...

Van Dijk
    Laporte
    Alderweireld
    Matip
    Rudiger
    Boly
    Maguire
    Zouma

Visually and statistically.... this is false and Lindelof is undoubtedly the better of the two. Your comments are truly laughable.

Yet I know some people feel the same as I do. Lindelof isn't physically good enough to ever be a top level CB. He's like Daley Blind but worse on the ball.
  • TakeItSlow
    7931 posts League Winner

wow...

What a load of rubbish. How about you post about your own team's defensive failures rather than coming out with this drivel day in, day out? Have a day off.

I would post about them, but in the corresponding thread. You’re forgetting you had a worse defensive record than us last season.

Saying that Lindelof is good for the level you’re at now isn’t drivel. It’s quite a fair comment? Not sure why you’ve gotten so defensive.
  • Apollo
    16233 posts World Class

wow...

I would post about them, but in the corresponding thread. You’re forgetting you had a worse defensive record than us last season.

Saying that Lindelof is good for the level you’re at now isn’t drivel. It’s quite a fair comment? Not sure why you’ve gotten so defensive.

We had a worse defensive record because of two out of the four positions in the back four. Lindelof's partner, not Lindelof, and Ashley Young at RB. Really not that hard to understand.
  • MarkFromNorwich
    Pietu wrote: »
    Van Dijk
    Laporte
    Alderweireld
    Matip
    Rudiger
    Boly
    Maguire
    Zouma

Gomez

Injured for the most part of the season it seemed like. Played the first three months and then was gone, no? He was really good in those first three months but I was trying to be as fair as possible,
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    edited August 29
    AWB finally got his England call up (and Maddison)
  • Apollo
    16233 posts World Class
    Couchy wrote: »
    AWB finally got his England call up (and Maddison)

About time, buzzing for him!
  • Pietu
    3358 posts National Call-Up
    Pietu wrote: »
    Van Dijk
    Laporte
    Alderweireld
    Matip
    Rudiger
    Boly
    Maguire
    Zouma

Gomez

Injured for the most part of the season it seemed like. Played the first three months and then was gone, no? He was really good in those first three months but I was trying to be as fair as possible,

Yeah he was injured for a long time but before the injury he was almost as good as VVD
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited August 29

wow...

?

If it’s a mistake that a Lindelof was in the right position but ultimately lost a header, it’s 100% a mistake for Maguire to be 20 yards off, not providing cover and ultimately allowing Ayew to run straight between Lindelof and Maguire. This isn’t even a pro Lindelof or Maguire debate (before you try and turn it into one because it’s me) the two of them were both equally at fault for that goal.

I did chuckle at how quickly you spawned as soon as Maguire received criticism.
  • Ahmer50x
    19917 posts World Class

Wait wtf is happening

I just woke up to this :lol:
  • Ahmer50x
    19917 posts World Class

That’s Barca out of the Sancho sweepstakes then
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

Wait wtf is happening

Still wish it was Rojo or Jones before Smalling, but is what it is. Hopefully means Tuanzebe gets first look
  • Ahmer50x
    19917 posts World Class

Wait wtf is happening

Still wish it was Rojo or Jones before Smalling, but is what it is. Hopefully means Tuanzebe gets first look

Agreed. We had too many CBs and somebody had to go but I'm just sad its Chris over Rojo or Jones. Either way though, they all need to be gone next summer so I'm happy enough with it.

Will share this again on a personal note: When United came stateside under LvG a few years ago, I went to the team hotel hoping to get an autograph. All the players and manager showed up and walked into the hotel either without acknowledging us or just waving. Chris Smalling was the only player to come up to the fans and thank us for being there and sign autographs. I will never forget that.

Simultaneously, his work with charity, general understanding of our club, relative competence at defending, and relative ability to stay fit are all appreciated.

I can't speak for the rest of you, but AS Roma have a new fan until the end of the season in me :sunglasses:
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner

wow...

?

If it’s a mistake that a Lindelof was in the right position but ultimately lost a header, it’s 100% a mistake for Maguire to be 20 yards off, not providing cover and ultimately allowing Ayew to run straight between Lindelof and Maguire. This isn’t even a pro Lindelof or Maguire debate (before you try and turn it into one because it’s me) the two of them were both equally at fault for that goal.

The only mistake Maguire made was trusting Lindelof to win that header. Don’t know how you can claim they are equally at fault 😂
  • TakeItSlow
    7931 posts League Winner
    edited August 29
    SDoofus wrote: »

wow...

Incorrect.

Before we became as good as we currently are, players like Gomez, Matip, Robertson, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Milner, Wijnaldum, etc were probably looked at in the same way you're currently looking at Shaw and Lindelof.

They are all a part of a CL winning team and a team that finished on 97 points in the PL. They are all a part of a team that's expected to compete with City again this season.

United are doing it right, so far. Getting rid of as much deadwood/bloat as they can, whilst acquiring very good signings like Maguire and AWB. Do that over a couple of summer transfer windows, addressing different areas of the squad, and they could very much have a title-challenging team with the likes of Lindelof and Shaw involved. And as much as I argued against it the other week, the likes of McTominay too. So long as they are surrounded by proper quality, which is what I think they're striving to do in the market now.

You can’t compare the two situations. Liverpool built an attack first consisting of Mane, Firmino and Salah which blitzed teams and got them into the CL. After that they attracted the correct players for each position in VVD etc to rebuild the defence and midfield.

Uniteds defence alone won’t get them into the CL, after that I can’t see them attracting the attackers they need to push on further.

I personally think Arsenal’s situation is much more comparable to Liverpool’s a few years back, building a top tier attack first and full backs to fit the system. Then hopefully when we get back into the CL we build from there with a top CB and CDM.
  • Ahmer50x
    19917 posts World Class

wow...

Incorrect.

Before we became as good as we currently are, players like Gomez, Matip, Robertson, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Milner, Wijnaldum, etc were probably looked at in the same way you're currently looking at Shaw and Lindelof.

They are all a part of a CL winning team and a team that finished on 97 points in the PL. They are all a part of a team that's expected to compete with City again this season.

United are doing it right, so far. Getting rid of as much deadwood/bloat as they can, whilst acquiring very good signings like Maguire and AWB. Do that over a couple of summer transfer windows, addressing different areas of the squad, and they could very much have a title-challenging team with the likes of Lindelof and Shaw involved. And as much as I argued against it the other week, the likes of McTominay too. So long as they are surrounded by proper quality, which is what I think they're striving to do in the market now.

You can’t compare the two situations. Liverpool built an attack first consisting of Mane, Firmino and Salah which blitzed teams and got them into the CL. After that they attracted the correct players for each position in VVD etc to rebuild the defence and midfield.

Uniteds defence alone won’t get them into the CL, after that I can’t see them attracting the attackers they need to push on further.

I personally think Arsenal’s situation is much more comparable to Liverpool’s a few years back, building a top tier attack first and full backs to fit the system. Then hopefully when we get back into the CL we build from there with a top CB and CDM.

More than one way to skin a cat ;)
  • Apollo
    16233 posts World Class

Wait wtf is happening

Yep don't think any of us saw the move coming, very much out of the blue. :D Thought the chances of him being moved on ended when the English window closed as I didn't think he'd move abroad
  • SDoofus
    6078 posts Big Money Move
    edited August 29

wow...

Incorrect.

You can compare the two situations, because they are both a case of a new manager coming in looking to stamp his own style into the team and bring in players that fit that style. Just because Liverpool got the forwards in first, doesn't mean that's the blueprint that everyone has to follow. Everyone knows that it was our defensive signings (Allison, VVD and Fabinho) that made the biggest difference for us, so maybe United have seen the impact that had, and decided to do it the other way round? Considering they already have Martial and Rashford up front. Yeah, it looks like Arsenal are literally trying to copy what we did (bringing in attackers, and also bringing in Tierney who keeps getting compared to us bringing in Robertson), but that doesn't mean to say it will work. Your attack is extremely different to ours anyway, we have 2 proper wide forwards who cut in on their strong feet and a tireless false 9 who makes everything happen. You have an unproven winger from a crap League on one side, an ageing striker playing out of position on the other, and Lacazette is nothing like Firmino, so cool your jets, because I don't think your attack is actually as good as you think it is, even though it's better on paper than your competitors, for now. United could bring in Sancho and suddenly, their front 3 pisses all over yours.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited August 29

wow...

?

The only mistake Maguire made was trusting Lindelof to win that header. Don’t know how you can claim they are equally at fault 😂

It’s literally Maguire’s job as Lindelof’s partner to cover each other. Maguire watched and allowed Ayew to freely run through...and that was before the ball even reached Lindelof. That should never happen. He should always be tracking that run just in case.

If it was flipped, Lindelof would 100% be getting criticized for not covering Maguire.

So yes. Both are at fault. But as I said Saturday, those things should improve as they play together.
  • Ahmer50x
    19917 posts World Class
    "We just send Smalling, Lukaku, and Sanchez over there. 3 players and not one first touch." -Adam McKola :joy:
  • TakeItSlow
    7931 posts League Winner
    edited August 29

wow...

Incorrect.

You can compare the two situations, because they are both a case of a new manager coming in looking to stamp his own style into the team and bring in players that fit that style. Just because Liverpool got the forwards in first, doesn't mean that's the blueprint that everyone has to follow. Everyone knows that it was our defensive signings (Allison, VVD and Fabinho) that made the biggest difference for us, so maybe United have seen the impact that had, and decided to do it the other way round? Considering they already have Martial and Rashford up front. Yeah, it looks like Arsenal are literally trying to copy what we did (bringing in attackers, and also bringing in Tierney who keeps getting compared to us bringing in Robertson), but that doesn't mean to say it will work. Your attack is extremely different to ours anyway, we have 2 proper wide forwards who cut in on their strong feet and a tireless false 9 who makes everything happen. You have an unproven winger from a crap League on one side, an ageing striker playing out of position on the other, and Lacazette is nothing like Firmino, so cool your jets, because I don't think your attack is actually as good as you think it is, even though it's better on paper than your competitors, for now. United could bring in Sancho and suddenly, their front 3 pisses all over yours.

Behave would you. We were the third highest scorers in the league last season and added Pepe, our attack is just as good as we think and just as good as everyone knows from last season, just adding Nelson and Pepe as proper wingers. Our systems are different but the concept is the same. Also adding Tierney and Bellerin coming back from injury just aids our attack.

Downplay it all you want, Auba was top scorer in his first full season mostly playing from the left. Laca is huge for us just like Firmino is for you and we’ve added Pepe. Salah was just as proven as Pepe was when he joined Liverpool.

Anyway, United can do it back to front if they want but for me the key to getting CL football is having that attack that can really push you into it.