Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• G000ner
    4076 posts National Call-Up
    El_Nino wrote: »
    You concede an average of 3 a game as it is in recent times at Anfield, and you’ve added Luiz.
    Best of luck.

Last time we played them Mustafi started, we conceded 4 goals in the first half and he was subbed off at half time.

Luiz can't do worse
  • Tropicaz XBL
    4249 posts National Call-Up
    Eddie scoring again
  • G000ner
    Cyodine wrote: »
    Do you all think Auba will put out similar numbers compared to last year? I feel like he will be hindered playing out wide so much.

He played out wide some of last season too, but plays more advanced than Laca. Think of it as how Salah plays for Liverpool or Ronaldo played for Real. He doesn't really play on the wing and won't track back much unless it's against a big team. Also worth noting that last season Auba only started 30 games, as he was rotated with Laca. Emery seems to have figured out by now that the best thing to do is to start them both, usually with Auba on the left. I expect Auba to start 35+ games this season, providing he doesn't get injured. We need to get into top 4 this season and can't afford to leave him out. Additionally, we have better players to supply him with chances such as Pepe and Ceballos. I'd be very surprised if he didn't score more goals than last season.
  • TakeItSlow
    7180 posts Big Money Move
    I love how ruthless we are being.

Mustafi and Kosc out in one summer with Luiz and Upamecano (Jan) would be sensational from the club.

Complete revamp of the CB position in one year with Saliba also to come in. The future is very bright, keep forgetting about Tierney debut oh mama.
  • El_Nino
    2864 posts Fans' Favourite
    TakeItSlow wrote: »

Mustafi and Kosc out in one summer with Luiz and Upamecano (Jan) would be sensational from the club.

Complete revamp of the CB position in one year with Saliba also to come in. The future is very bright, keep forgetting about Tierney debut oh mama.

Why do you keep acting as if Luiz is an upgrade?
    He’s possibly a small upgrade on Mustafi due to his ability on the ball. And probably a downgrade on Kosc, however you have to get rid of him due to him throwing a paddy.

You’ve signed Luiz who is old and inept. Saliba who is promising but a kid, you desperately need a new CB in January surely before you can start to be even slightly happy with your CB situation?
  • El_Nino
    Maybe Mustafi is worse than I realised due to not watching a lot of him, but I just know how god awful Luiz is defensively 😂
  • arsenalap
    4495 posts National Call-Up

He’s possibly a small upgrade on Mustafi due to his ability on the ball. And probably a downgrade on Kosc, however you have to get rid of him due to him throwing a paddy.

You’ve signed Luiz who is old and inept. Saliba who is promising but a kid, you desperately need a new CB in January surely before you can start to be even slightly happy with your CB situation?

We've got rid of Mustafi ans koscielny and got in Luiz, Chambers and Holding back.

If you cant see what an upgrade Luiz is to Mustafi then you dont know how shocking Mustafi was. I dont think Luiz is perfect but he has much more of an upside to Mustafi. And worst comes to worst Holding and Sokratis will be our partnership.

Chambers has also improved a lot and I'm happy with him playing.

You also forget what an impact having Bellerin back will be and Tierney will help massively too as our left side last season was very poor defensively.

As a unit we are much better in depth and quality than last season.
  • El_Nino
    arsenalap wrote: »

We've got rid of Mustafi ans koscielny and got in Luiz, Chambers and Holding back.

If you cant see what an upgrade Luiz is to Mustafi then you dont know how shocking Mustafi was. I dont think Luiz is perfect but he has much more of an upside to Mustafi. And worst comes to worst Holding and Sokratis will be our partnership.

You also forget what an impact having Bellerin back will be and Tierney will help massively too as our left side last season was very poor defensively.

At fullbacks I agree you have two good players who are probably top 4 worthy. But honestly your CBs just don’t look anywhere near good enough, Sokratis is the best of the bunch and I’ve seen Arsenal fans in here put him on Luiz’s level.

That’s a mid table partnership at best, maybe not even that.

Can’t comment on Chambers/Holding tbf I just haven’t seen much of either, however neither have struck me as potential top 4 CBs(like I say I could be completely wrong on that though tbf)
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    edited August 23
    Holding can be good enough for a top 4 team but who knows if he will return to his form he had before the injury.

Sokratis, Luiz, Chambers, Mustafi, Mavro are not good enough though

Next summer we could have Saliba - Upamecano partnership which is potentially a title winning centre back pairing with Holding and another couple as back ups
  • G000ner
    Luiz played well against Burnley. Looked commanding at the back and won most of his duels. Obviously helps playing out from the back too. None of our centre backs are close to as good at passing.

I feel much more confident with Sokratis and Luiz at the back than I did with any of our other centre-back pairings in the last couple of years.
  • TakeItSlow

You’re making out like Luiz is as bad as Mustafi which is a rotten opinion.

Our CB situation is evidently looking better, idk why you’re always so negative about Arsenal it’s very strange. It’s not even like it’s a constructive opinion on the matter either. Luiz is clearly better than Mustafi and Koscielny (koscielny being an injury prone soon to be 34 year old) therefore it’s an upgrade. Saliba is going to be a top defender, therefore in a year we would’ve revamped our CB options.

What I said is factual. Luiz has already improved the way we play through his play out from the back. We beat the press far easier now with his passing range. Something Mustafi and koscielny could never do.
  • arsenalap
    4495 posts National Call-Up

At fullbacks I agree you have two good players who are probably top 4 worthy. But honestly your CBs just don’t look anywhere near good enough, Sokratis is the best of the bunch and I’ve seen Arsenal fans in here put him on Luiz’s level.

That’s a mid table partnership at best, maybe not even that.

Can’t comment on Chambers/Holding tbf I just haven’t seen much of either, however neither have struck me as potential top 4 CBs(like I say I could be completely wrong on that though tbf)

It's far from a mid table CB partnership. I agree it's the worst of the top 6, but beyond that it's better than any other side.

It's a big season for Holding, when hes back I think he will show his quality. Theres a reason there is a lot of hype about him internally but it was a big injury so we will see.

Chambers is a very useful 4th choice. Sokratis is a good 2nd/3rd choice.

So for now we will play Holding with Sokratis/Luiz when hes back and then when Saliba is ready he can take over from those two.

• TakeItSlow
    Also @El_Nino if last season a Mustafi/Sokratis partnership got us to 70 points then Luiz/Sokratis is clearly not a mid table partnership is it?

You yourself said Luiz is better than Mustafi, any sane human would. Therefore it should be better than 70 points and it will be.

Going from what I’ve seen thus far Luiz is a breath of fresh air at the back for us. Is he world class? No, is he the best we could’ve got for the price at the time? Yes.

Will we be proactive in January to get a top top CB in? Yes.

Quite simple, everything is looking brilliant.
  • Ahmer50x
    17229 posts World Class
    Also @El_Nino if last season a Mustafi/Sokratis partnership got us to 70 points then Luiz/Sokratis is clearly not a mid table partnership is it?

You yourself said Luiz is better than Mustafi, any sane human would. Therefore it should be better than 70 points and it will be.

Going from what I’ve seen thus far Luiz is a breath of fresh air at the back for us. Is he world class? No, is he the best we could’ve got for the price at the time? Yes.

Mustafi/Sokratis got you nothing. You just rode on Auba+Laca’s goals.
  • Apollo
    14214 posts Has That Special Something
    It's a big season for Holding, when hes back I think he will show his quality. Theres a reason there is a lot of hype about him internally but it was a big injury so we will see.

Not just internally tbf, before his injury he was impressive and showing good potential. Obviously no one knows if he can get back to that after this injury but if he can you've got a solid CB there
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner

Oh the fall, the sweet, sweet fall.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a3c6396b600c6fac2b215279c0d80083e94a2cb2f&rid=giphy.gif
  • El_Nino

As said Sokratis/Mustafi got you nothing, your attack did.

Luiz and Sokratis looks worse than Everton and Wolves CB options for a start, and debatably a few others.

Christ Brighton have a good shout for two better CBs.

Your attack will possibly drag you to fourth, but you’ll need Pepe to start looking a lot better imo
  • G000ner
    Our centre backs are Everton level, but our full backs are great. Our defence is definitely looking better than last season, even if it's still the worst out of the top 6 (though Spurs and Chelsea are looking like contenders for worst defence right now). Don't rate Sokratis at all really. He was outperformed by Holding at the start of last season and Koscielny towards the end, even though he had injury problems. Reliable, but very Everton. Luiz i'd put on the same level of Koscielny. Makes mistakes, but excellent on his day. Bonus for us is Luiz is a bit younger than Koscielny and isn't injury prone.

Worth considering that if it wasn't for Luiz, Callum Chambers would be starting. The same guy that couldn't nail down a centre back spot for Fulham- the side that conceded the most goals in the league last season. He's still better than Mustafi if you were wondering.
  • SDoofus
    4716 posts National Call-Up
    Ashy wrote: »
    Holding can be good enough for a top 4 team but who knows if he will return to his form he had before the injury.

Sokratis, Luiz, Chambers, Mustafi, Mavro are not good enough though

Next summer we could have Saliba - Upamecano partnership which is potentially a title winning centre back pairing with Holding and another couple as back ups

Ffs.
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L-L-Y
  • SDoofus
    P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L-L-Y

Whilst City and Pep are around, the rest of us don't really stand a chance, as seen by our 97 point 2nd place finish last season.
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    SDoofus wrote: »
    P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L-L-Y

Whilst City and Pep are around, the rest of us don't really stand a chance, as seen by our 97 point 2nd place finish last season.

He might be gone in a couple of years
  • SDoofus
    SDoofus wrote: »
    P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L-L-Y

He might be gone in a couple of years

Hope so.

Would be lovely if they somehow fell into a crisis this season, though. Fingers crossed.
  • Ahmer50x
    17229 posts World Class
    Gonna be fun to watch Pepe against the best LB in football. Has the chance to lay down an early marker
  • TakeItSlow

Luiz and Sokratis looks worse than Everton and Wolves CB options for a start, and debatably a few others.

Your attack will possibly drag you to fourth, but you’ll need Pepe to start looking a lot better imo

Pepe has played 64 minutes and looked great. People who don’t watch our games just asking for trouble swear down blud.

Monreal close to leaving for Sociedad apparently.
  • El_Nino

Pepe has played 64 minutes and looked great. People who don’t watch our games just asking for trouble swear down blud.

Monreal close to leaving for Sociedad apparently.

Knew you were an arsenal fan Tv Guy
  • Adrian095
    33901 posts National Team Captain
    edited August 23
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Gonna be fun to watch Pepe against the best LB in football. Has the chance to lay down an early marker

Pepe will go past one of Liverpool CMs have his pass to Lacazzette intercepted by VvD plays it to Robertson, makes a 50 yard run down wing...crosses...Goal for Mane.
  • Wyojasond
    11188 posts Has That Special Something
  • G000ner
    No Laca is an odd one. Not sure about that at all given his record in the big games. Would've started him ahead of Willock personally. Can't work out what formation we're playing. 433 with Ceballos at LW or a diamond with Pepe up front? I thought we might play a diamond but I expected Laca instead of Pepe