Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• HysxteriA
    3204 posts National Call-Up
    Lingard has had 2 assists for an entire year of playing and is supposed to be our number 10 and some people here worried about throwing Gomes in. He should be in if Ole has any sense about him. Lingard has gone as far as he ever will go. Greenwood and James fighting together for that RW spot. But categorically there is no excuse to not give Gomes a run of games at number 10. The irony of it a lot saying he's inexperienced but I can guarantee he is better than those that are. So I don't understand where that logic comes from.
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    HysxteriA wrote: »
    Lingard has had 2 assists for an entire year of playing and is supposed to be our number 10 and some people here worried about throwing Gomes in. He should be in if Ole has any sense about him. Lingard has gone as far as he ever will go. Greenwood and James fighting together for that RW spot. But categorically there is no excuse to not give Gomes a run of games at number 10. The irony of it a lot saying he's inexperienced but I can guarantee he is better than those that are. So I don't understand where that logic comes from.

I think Mata and Greenwood will start this week and if were are comfortable then Gomes will get some minutes.

I’d personally start both Greenwood and Gomes.
  • Apollo
    14936 posts Has That Special Something
    HysxteriA wrote: »

I think every United fan in here wants Gomes to be playing, myself included. Both him and Greenwood are ready for the first team. But the fact of the matter is Ole's highly unlikely to throw two new academy players into the starting XI at the same time, in the league at least. He'll only do one at a time, and quite clearly that's going to be Greenwood first as he's the one who's been getting the cameos so far.
  • Ahmer50x
    18145 posts World Class
    I still think it'll be Lingard and Pereira/James again at Old Trafford.
  • TakeItSlow
    7329 posts Big Money Move
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    "Match data recorded by Opta shows that McTominay has topped United’s distance charts in both of the matches. He covered more ground than any Chelsea player at Old Trafford, and only Ruben Neves and Leander Dendoncker registered greater distances at Molineux." -Man Utd Official Site

McTominay <3

He was also horrendous with the ball. I think he’s obviously the best you have there, but to me he’s a 11th-6th sort of player or a top 6 squad player.
  • Ahmer50x
    18145 posts World Class
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    "Match data recorded by Opta shows that McTominay has topped United’s distance charts in both of the matches. He covered more ground than any Chelsea player at Old Trafford, and only Ruben Neves and Leander Dendoncker registered greater distances at Molineux." -Man Utd Official Site

McTominay <3

He was also horrendous with the ball. I think he’s obviously the best you have there, but to me he’s a 11th-6th sort of player or a top 6 squad player.

Don't agree at all that he was horrendous with the ball. Did the simple stuff right and that's his role, not pinging 50 yard diagonal balls. He's there to clean up when Pogba goes forward and he did that fine. I'm quite happy with him.
  • Apollo

McTominay <3

I don't agree that he was horrendous against Wolves with the ball, but moving onto the overriding point - it's entirely possible that he ends up being a squad player here when Ole finally gets the midfield signings he asked for. But for now, like you say he's the best we have in the position, he's getting better all the time and he's deserved the chance he's getting this season to make the position his own.
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner

McTominay <3

Don't agree at all that he was horrendous with the ball. Did the simple stuff right and that's his role, not pinging 50 yard diagonal balls. He's there to clean up when Pogba goes forward and he did that fine. I'm quite happy with him.

Have you seen Pepe!?
  • TakeItSlow
    Couchy wrote: »

McTominay <3

Have you seen Pepe!?

I do not understand why you actively just look to bait and troll when we aren’t talking about a certain player you mention.

Involve yourself within the current conversation or don’t say anything unless it’s constructive.
  • SDoofus
    5054 posts Big Money Move

McTominay <3

I've noticed that when a team is in a bit of a rut for a few seasons, fans slowly adjust to the quality of the players they possess, and thus, players who are actually very average start to get a lot of praise. McTominay is one of them. I mean, I wouldn't like him anywhere near my team. When I think back to Liverpool's post-Rafa and pre-Klopp era, I can recall many instances where us Liverpool fans fell into the same trap, highly rating players like Sakho and Lucas and Emre Can. I include myself in that. It isn't until your team is back on top that you begin to realise how the team's average-ness basically conditioned your brain to work a little differently, and that in reality, those players were never even close to good enough to be a big part of a team competing at the top level.
  • TakeItSlow

McTominay <3

That’s fair enough. I personally just don’t think he’s of the required level. Especially when you lack so much in midfield.
  • Wyojasond
    11555 posts Has That Special Something
    They really dont have any other options though. Sometimes you just have to roll with a grinder.

McTominay plays with heart, that’s for sure. He’ll be replaced in that midfield pretty easily though moving forward. If he’s not, that’s what I’d be worried about as a United fan.
  • Apollo
    edited August 22
    SDoofus wrote: »

McTominay <3

I've noticed that when a team is in a bit of a rut for a few seasons, fans slowly adjust to the quality of the players they possess, and thus, players who are actually very average start to get a lot of praise. McTominay is one of them. I mean, I wouldn't like him anywhere near my team. When I think back to Liverpool's post-Rafa and pre-Klopp era, I can recall many instances where us Liverpool fans fell into the same trap, highly rating players like Sakho and Lucas and Emre Can. I include myself in that. It isn't until your team is back on top that you begin to realise how the team's average-ness basically conditioned your brain to work a little differently, and that in reality, those players were never even close to good enough to be a big part of a team competing at the top level.

That's simply not true. We have several players in our squad who aren't good enough and some who have just left. Valencia, Darmian, Young, Jones, Rojo, Sanchez etc. McTominay is not one of them. He is an academy player who's forced his way into the first team and is improving almost every game he plays.

If Ole had got the midfield signings he wanted this summer, it's entirely possible that McTominay might have been moved to a squad player role. But he absolutely deserves to be in the squad, is clearly improving the more experience he gets, and isn't anywhere near the level of our deadwood that aren't good enough to be at the club.
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner

McTominay <3

Have you seen Pepe!?

I do not understand why you actively just look to bait and troll when we aren’t talking about a certain player you mention.

Involve yourself within the current conversation or don’t say anything unless it’s constructive.

As Ahmer states, he’s there to do the dog work which he has done very well so far. Few misplaced passes but no one is expecting Xavi.

And as I said, I’d be far more worried about how Pepe is going to fit in for you than McT for us.
  • TakeItSlow

McTominay <3

Have you seen Pepe!?

As Ahmer states, he’s there to do the dog work which he has done very well so far. Few misplaced passes but no one is expecting Xavi.

And as I said, I’d be far more worried about how Pepe is going to fit in for you than McT for us.

You didn’t say that. You said “have you seen Pepe?!”

That’s very odd because Pepe fits in perfectly on our right hand side. So not sure why that would be a worry.
  • Tropicaz XBL
    4308 posts National Call-Up
    edited August 22

McTominay <3

Have you seen Pepe!?

Yes, we're all pulling our hair out at how Pepe is going to surpass Henrik Mkhitaryan for the RW position
  • SDoofus
    edited August 22
    Apollo wrote: »

McTominay <3

That's simply not true. We have several players in our squad who aren't good enough and some who have just left. Valencia, Darmian, Young, Jones, Rojo, Sanchez etc. McTominay is not one of them. He is an academy player who's forced his way into the first team and is improving almost every game he plays.

If Ole had got the midfield signings he wanted this summer, it's entirely possible that McTominay might have been moved to a squad player role. But he absolutely deserves to be in the squad, is clearly improving the more experience he gets, and isn't anywhere near the level of our deadwood that aren't good enough to be at the club.

It took quite a long time for United fans to see that Sanchez wasn't good enough.

Like you say, McTominay is an academy player, he works hard, etc, which appeals to the romantic in you. The reality is, he possesses the quality of a player who starts for a mid-table team and I fully expect him to do a Tom Cleverly, or a Jonjo Shelvey.

Edit: Unless you remain a team that finishes outside of the top 4, then he's where he belongs, but somehow I think United aspire to be more than that.
  • Ahmer50x
    18145 posts World Class

McTominay <3

It took quite a long time for United fans to see that Sanchez wasn't good enough.

Like you say, McTominay is an academy player, he works hard, etc, which appeals to the romantic in you. The reality is, he possesses the quality of a player who starts for a mid-table team and I fully expect him to do a Tom Cleverly.

Edit: Unless you remain a team that finishes outside of the top 4, then he's where he belongs, but somehow I think United aspire to be more than that.

Tom Cleverley won more titles than Gerrard.
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner

McTominay <3

Have you seen Pepe!?

That’s very odd because Pepe fits in perfectly on our right hand side. So not sure why that would be a worry.

You said McT was horrendous with the ball. All I’ve seen Pepe do is give the ball away and get bullied off it.
  • TakeItSlow

McTominay <3

Have you seen Pepe!?

You said McT was horrendous with the ball. All I’ve seen Pepe do is give the ball away and get bullied off it.

If that’s all you’ve seen then you quite obviously haven’t been watching him.

McMarmite isn’t great with the ball, everyone knows that, so you attack an Arsenal player instead of accepting it. Very odd.

Anyway, it’s a game of opinions, and like I said, you probably haven’t watched much of Pepe if you think that’s all he’s done. Made Burnley defenders look like absolute fools at the weekend. Still isn’t fully fit.
  • SDoofus

McTominay <3

Like you say, McTominay is an academy player, he works hard, etc, which appeals to the romantic in you. The reality is, he possesses the quality of a player who starts for a mid-table team and I fully expect him to do a Tom Cleverly.

Djimi Traore won the CL.

Point is, Cleverley was getting a similar amount of hype amongst the United fanbase.

Another great example is Januzaj.

• Apollo

McTominay <3

I've literally just said that he might become a squad player at United when we get the midfield signings Ole wanted this past window. From the United fans in here who watch him play week in week out though who have seen the improvement he's regularly making, he clearly warrants his place in the squad here.

That might be as far as it ends up for him, I'm not insisting on a notion that he's guaranteed to be our starter for years to come or something, but he is good enough to be a squad player in a top 4 team, and crucially he's still new enough in senior football that he can continue the trend of improvement that he's shown.
  • Apollo

McTominay <3

Djimi Traore won the CL.

Point is, Cleverley was getting a similar amount of hype amongst the United fanbase.

You can find examples to fit any point you cared to make. We're talking about McTominay's situation. What is clear is that he's playing well for us, is improving all the time and has the right attitude and work ethic to continue that trend. He can be a successful squad player here for us going forward when we strengthen the midfield starting XI.
  • SDoofus
    edited August 22
    I suppose there's an argument to be had that instead of doing a Cleverley, he could do a Darren Fletcher, but I think in today's modern game, those sort of players aren't as crucial for great teams. We have a couple, one is called Milner, and I'd love to see the back of him :D Maybe I just can't stand that style of player, although Henderson isn't that far off and I don't mind him too much.
  • Teh Zombz
    3811 posts National Call-Up

McTominay <3

Djimi Traore won the CL.

oh man i miss the hype with januzaj, i've never wanted a youngster to make it more than him at the time (aside from ravel)
  • SDoofus
    Teh Zombz wrote: »

McTominay <3

Djimi Traore won the CL.

oh man i miss the hype with januzaj, i've never wanted a youngster to make it more than him at the time (aside from ravel)

Yeah, that's the other thing. There's a risk that Greenwood and Gomes could go the same way. It's unfair to hype up these youngster and demand that they start, imo. Managers know what they're doing by keeping them out of the spotlight.
  • Ahmer50x
    18145 posts World Class
    I suppose there's an argument to be had that instead of doing a Cleverley, he could do a Darren Fletcher, but I think in today's modern game, those sort of players aren't as crucial for great teams. We have a couple, one is called Milner, and I'd love to see the back of him :D Maybe I just can't stand that style of player, although Henderson isn't that far off and I don't mind him too much.

This is how I see him. New Fletcher and I love that kind of squad player.

Contribution of Brown, Fletch, Park, and the like is really underrated by modern day fans IMO
  • SDoofus
    edited August 22

Contribution of Brown, Fletch, Park, and the like is really underrated by modern day fans IMO

The modern game is just so much more technical, though. Players like that just get passed rings around them. You look at the best teams in Europe, and there's not many of that sort of player anymore. Technical ability is king.
  • Apollo
    Teh Zombz wrote: »

McTominay <3

Djimi Traore won the CL.

Yeah, that's the other thing. There's a risk that Greenwood and Gomes could go the same way. It's unfair to hype up these youngster and demand that they start, imo. Managers know what they're doing by keeping them out of the spotlight.

Definitely didn't miss reading this drivel. We're not hyping up all of the academy players Ole took on preseason. He took 4 with him, Greenwood, Gomes, Chong and Garner. Greenwood and Gomes are absolutely ready for the first team. It's clear from anyone who's seen them play and multiple rival fans in here have commented on how Ole should be playing them this season.

The other two however are not at that same level ready for as much first team involvement. Several of us in here think that Chong might benefit from a loan, and several think that it might take another year before Garner is ready for first team involvement.

Greenwood and Gomes are ready though.
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner

This is how every United fan sees him. Rival fans seem to think we believe he’s the next big thing.