Liverpool Football Club

Comments

• Pietu
    3343 posts National Call-Up
  • Wyojasond
    12170 posts Has That Special Something
    We are only two games into the season so it’s a bit premature to be so worried about Brewster.

He played all preseason and Bobby came back late so can’t blame Klopp for not putting him in just yet. He’ll get the cup starts and hopefully by December he’s made enough cameos that he might get a start.
  • Kellnerr
    2824 posts Fans' Favourite
    As it stands I really hope Ox can cement his place in the starting XI and find back to his game, really don't want to see a mid 3 of Gini, Fab and Hendo again. Rather play 4231 with Shaq.

Brewster will probably start the first couple of cup games, maybe even in CL depending on the opponent - or, at least get some minutes off the bench (since there's now space for mor players). Really hope Jones gets to start in the cups aswell, but unfortunately we'll have to give Milner and Lallana minutes too.
    On the other hand I'm really happy that we don't have to put our faith in the kids as backup options, wouldn't feel comfortable at all in for example United's situation (not a dig).
  • Wyojasond
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    As it stands I really hope Ox can cement his place in the starting XI and find back to his game, really don't want to see a mid 3 of Gini, Fab and Hendo again. Rather play 4231 with Shaq.

Brewster will probably start the first couple of cup games, maybe even in CL depending on the opponent - or, at least get some minutes off the bench (since there's now space for mor players). Really hope Jones gets to start in the cups aswell, but unfortunately we'll have to give Milner and Lallana minutes too.
    On the other hand I'm really happy that we don't have to put our faith in the kids as backup options, wouldn't feel comfortable at all in for example United's situation (not a dig).

Ox looked much better in the last game I thought. Still a ways off from how he looked during his “prime” time with us, but an injury like he had takes time. Klopp obviously still rates him, but hopefully he stays in the midfield. Don’t think he works on the wings in our system.

Like you said, it’s nice to know we don’t have to rely on an 18 year old kid as a suitable backup. Brewster will get his chances....hopefully he makes the most of them when they come.
  • SDoofus
    6065 posts Big Money Move
    Does anyone else ever take a second to think about how surreal it all is? The position we find ourselves in, currently? Living through the dark times of post-Rafa and pre-Klopp, it never really seemed possible that we could become a force again. We were finishing outside of the top 4 season in, season out, with such an average squad, with a constant stream of average signings and managers.

Not only that, but the way the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Man United have gone from being PL powerhouses during that time, consistently finishing in the top 4, to where they are now, looking extremely fragile and their overall squads don't touch ours. It honestly doesn't feel real, lmao. Chelsea, especially. I never thought the day would come where I'd look at their squad and think to myself that it looks so painfully average. I feel the same about Man United's attack too. Crazy.

• Wyojasond
    SDoofus wrote: »
    Does anyone else ever take a second to think about how surreal it all is? The position we find ourselves in, currently? Living through the dark times of post-Rafa and pre-Klopp, it never really seemed possible that we could become a force again. We were finishing outside of the top 4 season in, season out, with such an average squad, with a constant stream of average signings and managers.

Not only that, but the way the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Man United have gone from being PL powerhouses during that time, consistently finishing in the top 4, to where they are now, looking extremely fragile and their overall squads don't touch ours. It honestly doesn't feel real, lmao. Chelsea, especially. I never thought the day would come where I'd look at their squad and think to myself that it looks so painfully average. I feel the same about Man United's attack too. Crazy.

That was our starting XI Klopps first game 😂. Crazy how we’ve gone from that to the team we have now.

tFwHdOZ.jpg
  • SDoofus
    edited August 21

That was our starting XI Klopps first game 😂. Crazy how we’ve gone from that to the team we have now.

tFwHdOZ.jpg

Unbelievable. Helped massively by Klopp's incredible success rate in the transfer market.
  • SDoofus
    Mignolet - Alisson
    Ward - Adrian

Clyne - TAA
    Moreno - Robertson
    Flanagan

Toure - VVD
    Lovren - Lovren
    Sakho - Matip
    Skrtel - Gomez

Lucas - Fabinho
    Milner - Milner
    Henderson - Henderson
    Lallana - Lallana
    Allen - Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Can - Keita

Benteke - Salah
    Firmino - Firmino
    Sturridge - Mane
    Origi - Origi
    Ings - Shaqiri
  • Argie8
    5903 posts Big Money Move
    Brewster will definitely get chances this season, but he will have to earn Klopps trust before he can be considered a genuine option imo.
  • Argie8

Yeah I feel the same. I rise to the top has coincided with Arsenal, Chelsea and United all going to shi t. Never thought it was possible a few years back
  • tilen11
    5531 posts Big Money Move
    As it looks atm Brewster will play before Shaqiri so he will definitely get some minutes.

I just feel sorry for Shaq.
  • Wyojasond
    Fitting since we were just talking about Brewster 😂

• Argie8
    tilen11 wrote: »
    As it looks atm Brewster will play before Shaqiri so he will definitely get some minutes.

I just feel sorry for Shaq.

WIll he? So far Brewster has only made the bench once this season
  • LFC Simon 98
    18155 posts World Class

That’s all false. He’s happy to stay as Klopp asked him too
  • SDoofus
    My desired team for Arsenal:

Mane - Firmino - Salah
    AOC - Wijnaldum
    Fabinho
    Robertson - VVD - Matip - TAA
    Adrian

Expecting Henderson to start ahead of AOC or Wijnaldum, though. Really hope Milner doesn't start.

Winning this breaks our record of longest run of winning games, which is currently 11.
  • Pxul_
    8219 posts League Winner
    I agree with that other than I’d have Gomez over matip imo. I think VVD and Gomez have a great partnership and they work defensively better than matip and VVD.
  • Kellnerr
    Gomez has been poor so far this season - really bad timing in pressing out of the back 4 and bad positional play has lead to so many chances for the opponent. Can't do things like that against the likes of Aubameyang.
  • Yeah gomez has looked off the pace slightly when he's played. I dont mind who starts next to VVD though because they're equally as good imo and I trust them both. This high line thing is all new as well remember, it'll take time for all of them to adapt. But matip doesnt deserve to be dropped, he's been incredible alongside VVD and hasnt put a foot wrong. They built a quality partnership last season while joe was out.

I always knew matip was quality when we signed him on a free (what a transfer that is now btw). He just struggled with the utter sh1te around him, lovren, klavan, Moreno, milner etc.
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    What exactly is the reason you’ve changed to this high line approach? Seems bizarre to change something that obviously wasn’t broken last year.
  • Pugzilla
    16598 posts World Class
    Matip has been outstanding down the stretch last year. I’d give him the start. Gomez will get his chances.
  • Littleland95
    17131 posts Moderator
    Couchy wrote: »
    What exactly is the reason you’ve changed to this high line approach? Seems bizarre to change something that obviously wasn’t broken last year.

To get help from VAR on offside calls?

I feel it's strange as well. KDB and similar good players will play passes behind the defenders and it'll create a lot of chances. Huge and risky approach and I don't like it at all.
  • TakeItSlow
    7889 posts League Winner
    edited August 22
    Liverpool have conceded 17 chances in the box in the opening two games.

City just 5, that speaks volumes as Liverpool have only played Norwich and Southampton.

If you continue with the high line against us Pepe and Auba will cause problems
  • Yeah it definitely seems risky. Klopp could be a genius or making a huge mistake here. We'll have to see how well they adapt to it.
  • SDoofus
    edited August 22

The introduction of VAR.

Last season, our defensive line was probably the best/straightest in the League, and now that we have VAR for offsides, we can risk pushing the line a bit further up, meaning more players/ball-time in the opposition's half.

I think it will take time to perfect it, but it's pretty innovative from Klopp, imo. We saw it work against Chelsea quite well, with Pulisic's goal being offside (decided by VAR). We also saw it not work so well, so like I said, it will take time, but if we get it right, it's a big advantage, imo.

Edit: We were amazing at getting offside calls for set pieces last season, with our strong line, so I expect that to be even better now, with VAR.

It also forces the opposition's attackers much, much deeper.
  • Kellnerr
    If we concede let's say twice as many chances with that high line but not all of them are ruled out for offside it's already not effective. Not worth it at all.
  • SDoofus
    edited August 22
    TakeItSlow wrote: »

City just 5, that speaks volumes as Liverpool have only played Norwich and Southampton.

Seen a lot of Arsenal fans seemingly getting giddy about Aubameyang and Pepe coming up against our defence, but the reality is, we have extremely fast defenders. For all the chances we've conceded in the PL this season, I don't really recall any of them being a result of a counter attack exploiting our high line...

Plus they seem to forget that Aubameyang and Pepe against Robertson, VVD, Matip/Gomez and TAA reads a lot less scary than Salah, Mane and Firmino against Maitland-Niles, Sokratis, Luiz and Monreal :D
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner

Seen a lot of Arsenal fans seemingly getting giddy about Aubameyang and Pepe coming up against our defence, but the reality is, we have extremely fast defenders. For all the chances we've conceded in the PL this season, I don't really recall any of them being a result of a counter attack exploiting our high line...

Plus they seem to forget that Aubameyang and Pepe against Robertson, VVD, Matip/Gomez and TAA reads a lot less scary than Salah, Mane and Firmino against Maitland-Niles, Sokratis, Luiz and Monreal :D

They spent £72m on an Ivorian Welbeck. Cut them some slack.
  • Apollo
    16214 posts World Class

They spent £72m on an Ivorian Welbeck. Cut them some slack.

You could have picked anyone, @Couchy ... leave Welbeck out of this ;)