The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• chaser2k15
    13628 posts Has That Special Something
    So glad chambo scored at the end after his monumental **** up last week ve Sunderland.
  • dannyboy
    12834 posts Has That Special Something
    Another win for the mighty Leeds, might get a bunch of bandwagoners now.
  • AaronMFC
    1603 posts Play-Off Hero
    Long season ahead although anyone realistic knew that before a ball was kicked. On a positive note won 96 quid today.
  • wheelerdeeler
    6180 posts Big Money Move
    Just noticed the Tomer Hemed to Charlton move still hasn't gone through. Be interesting to see if Charlton can stay up this season, safe to say they've started better than expected.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Can anyone think of a mid season Prem appointment who failed to save his club from relegation that then went on to win the Championship?

Seems to me like you either pull off the escape or you get sacked a few weeks into the Championship?

Rafa. Albeit he isn't the standard relegation battling managerial appointment.

Yeah I meant non-Champions League winners :joy:

To be fair we went down with someone who'd won multiple Bundesliga's and he was gone by mid-September. He was also a nutcase though.
  • JamieC
    811 posts Semi-Pro
    First game of the season home against Basildon United and won 3-1! And 2 red cards.

Super Ramadan score the first, Jolland scored a beautiful curling goal before getting sent off in the second half. And Ollie Hughes with a bicycle kick to score the third.

Basildon played dirty, constantly fouling our players and getting rough, their no. 9 got a red for an elbow.

The football season is back!!! :love:
  • wheelerdeeler
    There's probably one or two decent Refs in League Two, just because they'll be young and haven't been promoted up the leagues yet.

Thought our Ref last night was shocking for both teams. Booked Mawson and then didn't book Schindler for the exact same tackle. Gave us a Free-Kick for Cavaleiro tripping himself up etc.
  • NornIron
    11798 posts Has That Special Something
    We beat the millionaires Larne 4-2 away what a game and 3 worldies including one from 60 yards better than Beckham's on this day 23 years ago.
  • We will play considerably better than that and lose games. We were poor for large spells but QPR were awful and their calamitous defending for the second killed the game.
  • Karlos
    24316 posts Club Captain
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    Despite us having a 27 man squad, Clarke still wants three more :joy:

One of those is a big name striker, someone has said if we fail to sign Matty Taylor, then the next target is Leon Clarke :hushed:

No chance you could afford his wages.
  • Dizzy Bala
    3688 posts National Call-Up
    Smashed Brum, Lolley decided to show up. We were excellent, they were awful. They've got a real job on even 3 games in if that's all they have to offer.

I'll enjoy tonight but no chance i'm getting carried away.
  • Farlz
    8490 posts League Winner
    Lolley masterclass against them lot you love to see it
  • Dizzy Bala
    3688 posts National Call-Up
    Farlz wrote: »
    Lolley masterclass against them lot you love to see it
    Damn right you do
  • james2060
    2856 posts Fans' Favourite
    chaser2k15 wrote: »
    So glad chambo scored at the end after his monumental **** up last week ve Sunderland.

Messed up for the first today too. Good game, step in the right direction for us just disappointing we couldn't hold out. Think your lot are missing something to be serious challengers but couldn't figure what, maybe an attacking midfielder of sorts.
  • Hicksy2011
    13273 posts Has That Special Something
    To be honest I’m losing faith in any team to be serious challengers, god knows who will be up there this year
    You lot haven’t started as well as I expected, Sunderland have looked bang average and clearly even though Jackett has all the right pieces but is refusing to put them in the right places
    Maybe Fleetwood or Lincoln are going to be bolters for the title
    Coventry haven’t recruited as well as I expected and Oxford have had a sticky start
  • james2060
    Lincoln's an odd one. I thought they'd struggle with their style, but their train doesn't look like stopping any time soon. But for 3 games in it's difficult to read much in to it. It'll settle a bit by October, then you'll see who's up for it or not.
  • GoodnightIrene
    3431 posts National Call-Up
    Blackpools to lose this year now all their owner shenanigans are sorted.
  • wheelerdeeler
    10-12 games in is when I start properly looking at the table. Most teams by that point will have played a variety of teams in-terms of ability- so it's usually a somewhat accurate reflection of where teams will be finishing at the end of the season. There are exceptions of course given we were 16th or whatever in November the season we went up and Villa were wherever they were last year before going on their run.
  • Karlos
    24316 posts Club Captain
    edited August 17
    james2060 wrote: »
    Lincoln's an odd one. I thought they'd struggle with their style, but their train doesn't look like stopping any time soon. But for 3 games in it's difficult to read much in to it. It'll settle a bit by October, then you'll see who's up for it or not.

We were so much better than them last season (despite them winning the league)

Would've been interesting to see how our team would've faired :cry:
  • Alastair
    10077 posts Moderator
    edited August 18
    JamieC wrote: »
    First game of the season home against Basildon United and won 3-1! And 2 red cards.

Super Ramadan score the first, Jolland scored a beautiful curling goal before getting sent off in the second half. And Ollie Hughes with a bicycle kick to score the third.

Basildon played dirty, constantly fouling our players and getting rough, their no. 9 got a red for an elbow.

First game? What have you been playing for the last 2 weeks? We’ve played 5 already.
  • james2060
    Makes a change for Bury to be only 2 weeks behind the times :smirk:
  • Alastair
    10077 posts Moderator
    We’ve taken out a newspaper advert to advertise for a new manager. :joy:

• Lard_Lad
    12630 posts Has That Special Something
    So excited for today, first premier league home game in 13 years, 5 years ago I never thought we’d be here. No matter what happens, I love this group of players and what Wilder has done with them.
  • JamieC
    811 posts Semi-Pro
    Alastair wrote: »
    JamieC wrote: »

First game? What have you been playing for the last 2 weeks? We’ve played 5 already.

Last week, no game. The week before that was our last preseason game. I think our league was the last to start due to us playing the least games out of everyone else (38 games).

However our league cup has changed to a group stage format, so will be playing at least 5 games at the minimum unless we top our group, then we go to knockouts with the teams in the Premier division.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Puscas looks decent doesn't he...
  • WFCBagnall
    71354 posts Moderator
    Puscas looks decent doesn't he...

Very
  • iHilarious
    13114 posts Has That Special Something
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    To be honest I’m losing faith in any team to be serious challengers, god knows who will be up there this year
    You lot haven’t started as well as I expected, Sunderland have looked bang average and clearly even though Jackett has all the right pieces but is refusing to put them in the right places
    Maybe Fleetwood or Lincoln are going to be bolters for the title
    Coventry haven’t recruited as well as I expected and Oxford have had a sticky start

We’re still a big striker away from really challenging - reckon we’ll be around the playoffs with someone who can score 15+
  • They Caged Non
    4698 posts National Call-Up
    AaronMFC wrote: »
    Long season ahead although anyone realistic knew that before a ball was kicked. On a positive note won 96 quid today.

Yeah I’m getting buckled in for a frustrating season, I just hope Gibson doesn’t get itchy trigger finger and gives Woodgate a chance.

• wheelerdeeler
    Smithies is ridiculous for penalty saves.