Farewell bros

It's an emotional goodbye from me today. Been an avid FIFA player since 2003 (Dy-Na-Mi-TeeMs). I was never swayed over to PES even when it was widely considered the better football simulator. Always stuck loyal to FIFA and have for the most part thoroughly enjoyed my experiences over the years.

The introduction of Ultimate Team completely revolutionised my experience. It was everything I hoped it would be plus so much more.

However over the years, EAs inherent objectives and business strategy became more and more apparent.

The introduction of the 'M' word in FIFA '06 was the first red flag. Since then, inconsistent gameplay became glaringly obvious to anyone who spent several hours per week playing FIFA. This "undetectable by user" feature ruined any chance of a competitive game. Competitive gaming is based around the premise that the better player wins. Better meaning mechanically and logically. This feature when implemented has achieved the exact opposite of a competitive game.

Several years passed, including the inception of Ultimate Team, before the next red flag was presented in the form of 50/50 collisions and tackles. This has not been spoken about anywhere near enough. It's a game-breaking feature which takes the franchise closer to casual and unpredictable as opposed to competitive and rewarding.

Then came the new game engine, Frostbite. Admittedly I know nothing about coding or game engines. However I don't think it's any coincidence that gameplay turned even more inconsistent following the use of this on new gen consoles. Button delay which never existed prior became a regular occurrence and has been getting seemingly worse every year. Again a huge red flag to stop playing.

Although despite all of these mindless additions and changes, I continued to stay loyal to the franchise hoping it would take a uturn and return to its roots. However since FIFA 16, EA have created several 'random' outcomes during gameplay. The obvious one this year being finishing. Completely random even when taking the same shot, at the same angle with the same amount of power. Passing, crossing and many other mechanics are also random in terms of outcome.

The final slap around the face was the nerf to cheap and affordable players in FUT. It's now more P2W than ever. Only in the last 3 months have I been able to achieve Elite finishes. I don't believe I have improved much mechanically at the game, however my team has improved dramatically during the course of the game cycle. Now that I have a very highly rated team, I honestly feel like 95% of my losses are based on random outcomes not going my way.

Anyway, I hope some of you can relate to some of the points I've made regarding change in the franchise and I hope you also choose to hang up your boots if you are against the direction EA are taking this game. If you are enjoying it, then I'm happy (yet also a little concerned) for you.

The release of Classic WoW has struck the final nail into the coffin which if FIFA for me. If any of you are planning on playing WoW please feel free to message me, I would be delighted to play alongside you.

Have a good one guys. Best of luck for the future.

Comments

• lippyone
    1165 posts Professional
    Playing WoW, out of the frying pan into the fire.
  • DarthGrowler
    14243 posts Has That Special Something
    How many of your wins are random outcomes going your way?

I read your wall of text
  • Empyrium7
    2763 posts Fans' Favourite

I read your wall of text

Maybe he doesn't want the wins that way.
  • lippyone
    1165 posts Professional
    edited August 16
    When WoW came out it felt new and exciting, it was harder then too, had to band together to kill stuff, it felt like a real community.

However, going back to it now, will it feel the same? It was still a massive grind, and now there will not be that same sense of adventure and newness, and the communities of 2019 are more toxic than Fifteen years ago.

I went to WoW havin* been a competitive player of Warcraft 1 2 and 3 which to my mind were the best games of all time. Nothing like an early peon rush to build a tower behind opponents goldmine. Oh what fun
  • gorillabear
    561 posts An Exciting Prospect
    What's the M word?
  • How many of your wins are random outcomes going your way?

I read your wall of text

That's irrelevant as to why I'm leaving. Win, lose, draw it's not satisfying or rewarding.
  • number7rocky
    4223 posts National Call-Up
    edited August 16
    People complain about P2W but then people used to complain about cheap OP players doing the same or being better than much more expensive players. High end players should make a difference over average nifs otherwise what's the point in grinding to upgrade?
  • DarthGrowler
    D Heleteli wrote: »

I read your wall of text

That's irrelevant as to why I'm leaving. Win, lose, draw it's not satisfying or rewarding.

Well answered
  • lippyone
    1165 posts Professional
    People complain about P2W but then people used to complain about cheap OP players doing the same or being better than much more expensive players. High end players should make a difference over average nifs otherwise what's the point in grinding to upgrade?

I do not think there is enough of a difference between expensive and cheap players, and that is because of the levelling gameplay.

Can take a team of icons into a rivals game against a low rated gold team and be beaten because their players are moving faster, etc, etc.
    A team of Icons should visably play better, be faster, stronger etc just like their stats suggest they are and 9/10 shouod blow a low rated gold team out of the park 10 0. But they dont due to you know what.
  • Lkane
    927 posts Professional
    I'll be buying fifa but staying clear of ultimate team.

That prime moments release was one step to far. Think I'm the only person that hasn't got over it! Just seems like they're deliberately trying to screw over their customers.
  • eltonholm
    366 posts Sunday League Hero
    Lkane wrote: »
    I'll be buying fifa but staying clear of ultimate team.

That prime moments release was one step to far. Think I'm the only person that hasn't got over it! Just seems like they're deliberately trying to screw over their customers.

You mean Prime Best ain’t Best any more? :)
  • hellodee
    395 posts Sunday League Hero
    Fifa is done for me too
  • number7rocky
    4223 posts National Call-Up
    lippyone wrote: »

I do not think there is enough of a difference between expensive and cheap players, and that is because of the levelling gameplay.

Can take a team of icons into a rivals game against a low rated gold team and be beaten because their players are moving faster, etc, etc.
    A team of Icons should visably play better, be faster, stronger etc just like their stats suggest they are and 9/10 shouod blow a low rated gold team out of the park 10 0. But they dont due to you know what.

Alot of people just use P2W as an excuse for losing, it's hard to find the right balance though as high end players should be much better but aswell if two guys play and the guy with a worse team is better he should win.
  • Seanregal
    510 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Matt and Luke wish you farewell too.
  • Vix14
    424 posts An Exciting Prospect
    FIFA 2003 was just great
    Played with Arsenal
    Good old days
  • lippyone wrote: »

Alot of people just use P2W as an excuse for losing, it's hard to find the right balance though as high end players should be much better but aswell if two guys play and the guy with a worse team is better he should win.

I agree 100%

Furthermore P2W has no place in competitive gaming. Take P2W away and the game still has several glaring flaws preventing any prospect of a true competition of skill.
  • Ishibum
    12267 posts Has That Special Something
    D Heleteli wrote: »
    lippyone wrote: »

I agree 100%

Furthermore P2W has no place in competitive gaming. Take P2W away and the game still has several glaring flaws preventing any prospect of a true competition of skill.

The p2w idea is what hooks so many people though. Folk would much rather think they were pro level and only lose because they don't have 94 Gullit or that. FIFA points basically pander to that hubris.

Don't get me wrong, a full toty/icon team will give a big advantage against someone using bronzes, but we reach a point with gold players that it's marginal gains.
  • Daveangel
    78 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    gameplay awfull
    ai deffending awfull
    tackling your opponent only for ball to constantly go back to him
    helping the lesser players of fifa to keep them on so as to maximize revenue
    its not a competitive game anymore
  • The game is **** now, gets more and more rage inducing every year. You would think it would advance to get much more realistic with the 50/50’s and ball warping through players and going in directions that are impossible
  • DarthGrowler
    Fifa hasn't been great since 10
  • JohnDoe
    11254 posts Has That Special Something
    What's the M word?

Monkey
  • Royboy
    740 posts Semi-Pro
    I’m right there with you. Been saying this for a couple of times now but the way EA treated its customer was very disappointing this year
  • ViezeDries
    603 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Y'all are such a bunch of dramaqueens.

Lord get over yourselves
  • AlbinoXI
    1752 posts Play-Off Hero
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    What's the M word?

Monkey

Moobz
  • JohnDoe
    AlbinoXI wrote: »
    What's the M word?

Monkey

Moobz

Damn, that even makes more sense. I also hated it when those were introduced, ngl.
  • DarthGrowler
    What's the M word?

Monkey

Moobz

Damn, that even makes more sense. I also hated it when those were introduced, ngl.

Momentum
  • JohnDoe
    edited August 16
    What's the M word?

Monkey

Moobz

Momentum

No way! 😱

That's what it stands for? Whoa! 😳🤯🤪🥴
  • DarthGrowler
    What's the M word?

Monkey

Moobz

Momentum

No way! 😱

I know. Just found out, couldn't believe it myself, I honestly thought M stood for marmite until tonight
  • JohnDoe
    What's the M word?

Monkey

Moobz

Momentum

No way! 😱

I know. Just found out, couldn't believe it myself, I honestly thought M stood for marmite until tonight

Marmite: it's in the game.
  • Farewell my hung brother, I will miss your length