Consistency of Icons between FIFA editions

DannySTFC
1285 posts Professional
This is the first Fifa I’ve really cracked on and got some good icons. The best of which have been PIM Best, PIM Socrates, prime Eusebio etc (not quite R9, Gullit, Vieira etc but still good quality).

My question is for players who’ve used the same icons throughout different editions of the game.

Prime Eusebio is by far the best player I’ve used on any Fifa and I’ve been playing for 20 odd years. Come Fifa 20 I’m really tempted to go all out on just saving my way up to buying him/doing his SBC.

So I was just wondering people’s opinions on the consistency of the icons between FIFA’s, clearly there will be new exploitable mechanics, new metas etc, but if we’re sticking with the basics of what makes a usable Fifa card, is Eusebio likely to be just as good next Fifa as this one? Was he as good last year as this year? (Is he even definitely in the game next year/last year for that matter...)

Any insight into how icons are adaptable to different years of Fifa would be interesting to hear.

Comments

• iTaLenTZ
    466 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Been playing again since Fifa 17 and I end up with the same Icons every year (Gullit, Matthaus, Pele, Vieira etc). Compared to last year only Cruyff and Socrates made it into my team. Didn't try Eusebio though because I like others players more irl but he is one of the best. I always have a though game against him.

I think its really hard for new Icons to compete with the ones we already have. Unless game mechanics change completely I don't see any reason not to play with Gullit, Vieira, Pele, Ronaldinho etc.
  • Koning Spijker
    1173 posts Professional
    Well, to be honest, if you play FIFA for 20 years, you should know whether Eusebio was in last FIFA or not. However, he wasn't.
    It really depends on the game play and your play style. 2 and 3 years ago, Crespo was among the best Icons. Because of his dribbling, physique and especially shooting and heading. I have seen him mentioned here this year a few times, but I think he was not as good as previous years.
    This year, nimble agile players with 5*WF were the most effective players. Eusebio is one of them. Of course, first time shooting was op this year and Eusebio just has one of the best shooting abilities.
    Juan Sébastien Veron is another one. This year he was just mediocre, while previous years he was a boss in midfield.
    Maradona on the other hand, never lived up to his stats.

So it depends on how the mechanics of the game are, whether an Icon is a good thing or not.
  • VladimirSochi
    605 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Yeah the only truly consistent ones are the Gullit, Viera, Maldini’s of the world because regardless of game mechanics, they just have incredible all round stats for their positions.

I would just start saving for him out of the gate and monitor reviews on him. Then if he isn’t as OP as he was this year, put that money towards Gullit or Viera instead
  • Orison
    48601 posts FIFA Cover Star
    He should be good for next year.

I would assume it's going to be a pacey strikers, narrow formations and through ball year so Euse should be ok with his pace, shooting, 4* skills and 5* WF.
  • Navraat
    3333 posts National Call-Up
    He will be meta like Gullit Vieira always
  • torakun
    1593 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited August 12
    Last fifa, my team consisted of prime r9, henry, gullit, vieira, maldini, toty ramos, marcelo, etc

this year, my team consist of prime r9, gullit, vieira, PIM maldini, TOTS cr7 (very soon), some decent tots.

Why? because they are the one making the games work despite lagfest, the OP attributes that can be abused, etc
    I suspect that if I get fifa 20, my end team will still be the same.. prime r9, gullit, vieira, henry, some TOTSTOTY..

because of this.. I am skipping 1 year.. no fifa 20. The reason why I even bought FIFA 19 was due to the golden era of EPL icons got released at the same time. Had I know that 95% of them are useless, I'd never bothered. So I'll monitor this aspect in FIFA 20 later, if they still let all of those icons become useless except the obvious one above, I may be done with FIFA 21 and so on altogether.

I can play using those "useless/nonmeta" icons, but at the end, if they perform like crap and 40k TOTS feels better and can help you win games, why the hell bother, really..
  • Safehands84
    3522 posts National Call-Up
    Since legends came out on xbox they always had the unique feel that they are better than normal players. However this year I think the reserve. I've used lots of, all top ones bar pim over 4m. TOTS for me play much better now, only exception is Gullit, R9 and at a push Maldini. The rest there are just better players. I have PIM Cruyff ar the minute dont get me wrong hes awesome but Carnival Neymar is better and he can last a full game. I've been using different prime striker last few weeks just to get them and I have FB who play better than the majority.

Last few years totally different, even after tots icons were still better and performed better , they had that hidden wow factor.

Next year , who knows
  • Antiversum
    5777 posts Big Money Move
    Since legends came out on xbox they always had the unique feel that they are better than normal players. However this year I think the reserve. I've used lots of, all top ones bar pim over 4m. TOTS for me play much better now, only exception is Gullit, R9 and at a push Maldini. The rest there are just better players. I have PIM Cruyff ar the minute dont get me wrong hes awesome but Carnival Neymar is better and he can last a full game. I've been using different prime striker last few weeks just to get them and I have FB who play better than the majority.

Last few years totally different, even after tots icons were still better and performed better , they had that hidden wow factor.

Next year , who knows

Because up to FIFA17 chem only ever really worked on legends, not on other special cards.
  • nicitel32
    1597 posts Play-Off Hero
    prime vieira last year was a monster, ths year he was meh....prime gullit was the same monster